What do you miss from 'before'?

randompersonrandom said:

Drinking until drunk at a work event. After 1, there's a slight buzz, even though I'm aware tomorrow will be rough. By 2, I'm drunk, but it's not a fun "wooo" kind of drunk. Partway into the 3rd, I'm tugging on my work-wife's sleeve and saying, "Uh....I think I need to go home."

I never hit full-on alcoholism, since I didn't drink frequently enough or let it destroy my life, but people could generally depend on me to get loud and drunk at a work function. These days I simply can't, and I miss it.
From what I've noticed, the loud, drunk types are far less present at work events and conferences these days, and honestly, I miss them as well 😂. Just classic cause and effect, isn't it!
 
HistLady said:

Sharing lunch with coworkers was once a near-daily routine for me. That's stopped now—why pay restaurant prices every day for the amount I actually eat? The company and certain dishes are what I long for.
That's a funny observation. It's hitting me that food was basically the center of my social life 😥
 
After a huge meal, I'd crash into that "itis" haze while parked in front of the TV 🤤 — that's the part I miss.
 
Honestly? Nothing at all. These days I understand that any food is fair game as long as I keep portions in check. Craving donuts? I'll have a donut... and I know one will do the job, no need to finish the entire box. That feels incredibly freeing!
 
Tanquerae (sp?) Gin

I really fucking miss it. Vermouth isn't even necessary. Just olives and olive juice.

Then it's "Tanquerae take me away." 😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️😶‍🌫️
 
unclebuff702 said:

Cocktails used to be something I looked forward to. I never drank much, but an old fashioned at a steakhouse really hit the spot. These days, just thinking about one makes me screw up my face as if I'd caught a whiff of something foul.
These days, finishing even 1 drink is a struggle for me. What I really miss is going out for mexican food with a margarita and catching that nice buzz. At this point, drinking enough to get tipsy just isn't possible. And if I have anything other than water alongside a meal, there's no space left for food.
 
coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
Getting motivated is hard now—it takes a lot for me to have any desire to do much of anything.
Is that something you'd attribute to the anhedonia side effect?

For me it's a constant thing, though I've always tied it back to my adhd.
 
clemochi said:

What's strange is that these days baking appeals to me even more than it used to. Being able to eat just 1 serving, then walk away without a problem and let everyone else at home finish the rest, feels incredible. In the past, despite my love for it, I tended to steer clear of baking unless there was a special occasion, since I was aware the sugar habit would grip me and I would end up making myself ill from all the work.
The part about it getting a grip on you—yeah, I get that. For me, the big thing was this rule I grew up with: nothing gets thrown out. "Don't waste your food!" was hammered into me when I was little. So I'd clear my whole plate, full or not, because tossing it felt wrong. These days at home I serve myself way smaller portions, so no problem there. Restaurants are a different story—even now, leaving food behind is something I still fight against.

Baking appeals to me less than it ever has. My husband just began tirz and he's asked me not to, haha. On top of that, I'm not big on giving my kids junk, homemade or not. Mostly everything I make is organic, and I keep a lot of ingredients out of their food for their sake—when they get into bad stuff, they all turn into even bigger adhd nightmares.
 
BNLFL said:

After dinner, I miss having ice cream and cowing out.
One of the things I leaned on was ice cream. About 3 months had passed, and the other night I gave it a try for the first time. I couldn't finish even half. Right now, I have no desire to go back for more. Ultimately that's a positive, though back then it was something enjoyable. A little too enjoyable.
 
anhydrous said:

I continue to bake, though not as frequently, and it's more about meeting requests than doing it purely for fun. There's a part of me that misses how routine meals once were. Previously, I'd have breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, plus snacks throughout the day. Now I eat only when necessary, and for some reason that feels neither thrilling nor fulfilling.
Now it feels like a huge amount of effort to get that many meals into myself. Unless something is freshly made and nutritious, it sounds awful, so I simply skip eating — which means the only meal I really have is dinner, when we cook for the whole family. These days I've cut out all processed stuff, but back then I always kept a bag of Simply Cheeto Puffs or PopCorners in my cupboard so I could sneak them in my room and snack without having to share with my kids.
 
Fizzy drinks, soda, beer — it's rough. They fill you up so much.

Coke has always been too much for me. Yet for some reason, a little bottle of coke can sound really good.
 
ambot88 said:

I miss getting pleasure out of things. Dining out used to be something I genuinely treasured and counted down to, but these days I feel indifferent, don't crave it, and it hardly feels like it's worth the money or the hassle of leaving the house. The same goes for a good glass of wine - I still want to like it, so every couple of weeks I'll optimistically uncork a bottle, only to pour half a glass and feel nothing. Yes, the benefits clearly beat the drawbacks, but today I'm in a sour mood and found myself longing for the days when wine and chocolate could fix me the way they once did.
This rings true for me too. Our spending has dropped quite a bit since I stopped stocking up on snacks just for myself, and I no longer have any desire to go out. Sure, dining out was never cheap with 7 of us, but I used to insist on doing it several times a week anyway, simply because I enjoyed leaving the house and having something different to eat.

So far, nothing has managed to deliver the same dopamine hit that treats once did — with the strange exception of Brussels sprouts.
 
Sasquatch said:

Fizzy drinks, soda, beer — it's rough. They fill you up so much.

Coke has always been too much for me. Yet for some reason, a little bottle of coke can sound really good.
Absolutely! I own 2 machines like SodaStream and every week I'd finish off multiple boxes of Bubly/Waterloo since I was hooked on fizz. I went as far as getting a dedicated carbonator for juices, wines, anything. These days that same 8 pack of Bubly sits in my pantry, half gone, for months.
 
wileyhorse said:

Honestly? Nothing at all. These days I understand that any food is fair game as long as I keep portions in check. Craving donuts? I'll have a donut... and I know one will do the job, no need to finish the entire box. That feels incredibly freeing!
Being able to treat yourself without worry feels great. Once the food noise went quiet, I realized that kind of freedom mattered to me more than I'd ever expected.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

CNCCurrency said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
Where I live, you won't find those—it looks like they're something you only get near the coast.
Yeah, I'm right by the sea. You got it exactly.
It has been 7 years since we left Oregon. In the middle of the US, decent seafood is basically nonexistent. Of course, you can't get it fresh here, but even finding it frozen is a real struggle. I was raised catching crab and eating halibut and salmon straight from the ocean... it's been more than 7 years since I last had halibut. That definitely stinks. All you ever see is catfish, catfish, catfish. Ugh!
 
amosmylove said:

coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
Getting motivated is hard now—it takes a lot for me to have any desire to do much of anything.
Is that something you'd attribute to the anhedonia side effect?

For me it's a constant thing, though I've always tied it back to my adhd.
Yeah, that's me too... I've got gene variations that mess with methylation (which shows up as adhd symptoms), but this problem didn't start for me until I got to the 1mg dose of R
 
coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
Getting motivated is hard now—it takes a lot for me to have any desire to do much of anything.
Is that something you'd attribute to the anhedonia side effect?

For me it's a constant thing, though I've always tied it back to my adhd.
Yeah, that's me too... I've got gene variations that mess with methylation (which shows up as adhd symptoms), but this problem didn't start for me until I got to the 1mg dose of R
That's interesting. About 2 weeks ago I put 1mg of Reta into my tirz stack. So far there's been no change or boost that I can notice.
 
amosmylove said:

coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

coach chickpea said:

amosmylove said:

I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
Getting motivated is hard now—it takes a lot for me to have any desire to do much of anything.
Is that something you'd attribute to the anhedonia side effect?

For me it's a constant thing, though I've always tied it back to my adhd.
Yeah, that's me too... I've got gene variations that mess with methylation (which shows up as adhd symptoms), but this problem didn't start for me until I got to the 1mg dose of R
That's interesting. About 2 weeks ago I put 1mg of Reta into my tirz stack. So far there's been no change or boost that I can notice.
That only kicked in once I'd hit the 4-month mark.
 
amosmylove said:

ambot88 said:

I miss getting pleasure out of things. Dining out used to be something I genuinely treasured and counted down to, but these days I feel indifferent, don't crave it, and it hardly feels like it's worth the money or the hassle of leaving the house. The same goes for a good glass of wine - I still want to like it, so every couple of weeks I'll optimistically uncork a bottle, only to pour half a glass and feel nothing. Yes, the benefits clearly beat the drawbacks, but today I'm in a sour mood and found myself longing for the days when wine and chocolate could fix me the way they once did.
This rings true for me too. Our spending has dropped quite a bit since I stopped stocking up on snacks just for myself, and I no longer have any desire to go out. Sure, dining out was never cheap with 7 of us, but I used to insist on doing it several times a week anyway, simply because I enjoyed leaving the house and having something different to eat.

So far, nothing has managed to deliver the same dopamine hit that treats once did — with the strange exception of Brussels sprouts.

with 7 of us, it's pricey

94d2b2b67874f60c365230e3943a1343c493612201295bea90a236ec2c97b279.gif
 
CNCCurrency said:

amosmylove said:

ambot88 said:

I miss getting pleasure out of things. Dining out used to be something I genuinely treasured and counted down to, but these days I feel indifferent, don't crave it, and it hardly feels like it's worth the money or the hassle of leaving the house. The same goes for a good glass of wine - I still want to like it, so every couple of weeks I'll optimistically uncork a bottle, only to pour half a glass and feel nothing. Yes, the benefits clearly beat the drawbacks, but today I'm in a sour mood and found myself longing for the days when wine and chocolate could fix me the way they once did.
This rings true for me too. Our spending has dropped quite a bit since I stopped stocking up on snacks just for myself, and I no longer have any desire to go out. Sure, dining out was never cheap with 7 of us, but I used to insist on doing it several times a week anyway, simply because I enjoyed leaving the house and having something different to eat.

So far, nothing has managed to deliver the same dopamine hit that treats once did — with the strange exception of Brussels sprouts.

with 7 of us, it's pricey

View attachment 10684
Once the kids menu is off the table for us, it's going to sting even more! Mine are 11, 10, 8, 6 and 4.
 

Attachments

  • 94d2b2b67874f60c365230e3943a1343c493612201295bea90a236ec2c97b279.gif
    94d2b2b67874f60c365230e3943a1343c493612201295bea90a236ec2c97b279.gif
    370 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top