What do you miss from 'before'?

amosmylove

Explorer
Joined
Mar 19, 2026
Messages
230
Reaction score
0
Location
Nashville, TN
I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
 
What's strange is that these days baking appeals to me even more than it used to. Being able to eat just 1 serving, then walk away without a problem and let everyone else at home finish the rest, feels incredible. In the past, despite my love for it, I tended to steer clear of baking unless there was a special occasion, since I was aware the sugar habit would grip me and I would end up making myself ill from all the work.
 
Cocktails used to be something I looked forward to. I never drank much, but an old fashioned at a steakhouse really hit the spot. These days, just thinking about one makes me screw up my face as if I'd caught a whiff of something foul.
 
Drinking until drunk at a work event. After 1, there's a slight buzz, even though I'm aware tomorrow will be rough. By 2, I'm drunk, but it's not a fun "wooo" kind of drunk. Partway into the 3rd, I'm tugging on my work-wife's sleeve and saying, "Uh....I think I need to go home."

I never hit full-on alcoholism, since I didn't drink frequently enough or let it destroy my life, but people could generally depend on me to get loud and drunk at a work function. These days I simply can't, and I miss it.
 
All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
Man, a proper seafood buffet is something I really miss 😩 these days at a restaurant I'll just get a starter as my main and even that usually defeats me
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
For me, it's Chinese buffet
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
Where I live, you won't find those—it looks like they're something you only get near the coast.
 
I continue to bake, though not as frequently, and it's more about meeting requests than doing it purely for fun. There's a part of me that misses how routine meals once were. Previously, I'd have breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, plus snacks throughout the day. Now I eat only when necessary, and for some reason that feels neither thrilling nor fulfilling.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
Honestly, buffets are the one thing I really miss. These days my appetite is so small that going to one just isn't worth it.
 
Weekend mornings used to mean sitting on the porch with a joint and a glass or two of whiskey. These days it's just the joint. There are half-full bottles in my place that have been sitting there for more than a year.

Dumplings went in the microwave, a whole pile of them, and I'd eat while playing counterstrike.

On a day off, I'd search for restaurants around wherever I was heading and scroll through the menus, mouth watering. These days it's triple chicken at Panda. Protein, keeps me alive, good enough.
 
I miss getting pleasure out of things. Dining out used to be something I genuinely treasured and counted down to, but these days I feel indifferent, don't crave it, and it hardly feels like it's worth the money or the hassle of leaving the house. The same goes for a good glass of wine - I still want to like it, so every couple of weeks I'll optimistically uncork a bottle, only to pour half a glass and feel nothing. Yes, the benefits clearly beat the drawbacks, but today I'm in a sour mood and found myself longing for the days when wine and chocolate could fix me the way they once did.
 
Sharing lunch with coworkers was once a near-daily routine for me. That's stopped now—why pay restaurant prices every day for the amount I actually eat? The company and certain dishes are what I long for.
 
CNCCurrency said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

All-you-can-eat seafood places — I used to hit them several times every month. These days it's pointless: the cost is too high and it just isn't worth it.
Where I live, you won't find those—it looks like they're something you only get near the coast.
Yeah, I'm right by the sea. You got it exactly.
 
Most normal meals and sweets still hit the spot for me, and I take pleasure in good-tasting food. The thing I lack now is the freedom to cut loose once in a while — like a cheat day when I'm visiting someplace unfamiliar or marking an occasion with friends. I simply can't match that pace anymore, and afterward I suffer for it.
 
amosmylove said:

I came across a food post on here, which made me scroll through the food photos on my phone... and I realized there was almost nothing healthy saved. Everything was from 'before'. That means before Tirz, before I began eating better and eating less. I used to bake often. These days I don't bake at all. That's definitely where most of my weight gain came from. Below are some of my old food pictures that I sort of miss, though I don't miss the addiction I had to it. Looking at them and recalling my food choices is a bit embarrassing. I only photographed sweets. Because sweets were the only thing I ever wanted to eat. I'd watch the Great British Baking Show and then make whatever they made. If I craved chocolate, I'd whip up a mousse, or choux buns with chocolate creme diplomat or something like that. I love (loved?) cake. I haven't had cake in months.

Is there anything from 'before' that you remember missing, even though you're glad it's in the past?

I hated being a slave to whatever craving I'd get. Tirz has been so life changing.

Ps. The last picture is rather indelicate. I always make that shape for my husband but went a bit too far that time. Still, it was great choux!
Getting motivated is hard now—it takes a lot for me to have any desire to do much of anything.
 
Back
Top