Safeguarding the vial's top

BNLFL said:

woundcarping said:

If my reconstituted vials were kept in the same cooled air and space as raw meats, spoiled leftovers, coli, listeria, salmonella, staph, fungi, and the like, then I would put each one into its own medicine bottle — a practice I have observed in medical settings.

As a rule, kitchen refrigerators are filthy places where things multiply.
Is a garage fridge containing only beer, water, and a few sodas preferable? No food whatsoever. @HereKittyKitty I already mentioned that garage fridges are excellent.
🌝
 
AcadiaPeptides said:

Their bare state in the fridge didn't sit well with me either. As for being bare, that's reserved for when I'm running around the house without clothes. Give yourself a second to erase that mental picture, and take a look at this photo instead: the silicone caps I purchased from Amazon. This version is sized for 3mm peptide vials. I picked up the 5mm ones too, and those work on my opened BAC bottle.





View attachment 11267
Those are the same type I own — adorable, honestly, and they remind me of tiny chef hats! For me, they double as a color-coding system: green marks the energy peptides such as mots, pink stands for healing ones like ARA or BPC, purple covers skin and hair health, and red is for bedroom matters... In a way, this helps me keep my stack balanced!
 
Nope, that's not something I do. The vials I've reconstituted get stored in my "working" container, which can hold 8 vials. I've never actually had 8 going at once. That container lives in the fridge, and I simply wipe the top both before and after use.
 
I picked up 3mL silicone vial caps from amazon, but they turned out to be WAY too large for the vials I have.

AcadiaPeptides said:

Their bare state in the fridge didn't sit well with me either. As for being bare, that's reserved for when I'm running around the house without clothes. Give yourself a second to erase that mental picture, and take a look at this photo instead: the silicone caps I purchased from Amazon. This version is sized for 3mm peptide vials. I picked up the 5mm ones too, and those work on my opened BAC bottle.





View attachment 11267
 
SeaGypsy said:

I picked up flexible vial caps on Etsy. I bought both sizes so I could also cap my BAC and NAD.
That's amazing! I appreciate it! I had no idea such a thing was available!
 
GTS97 said:

Honestly, a few of you are way overthinking this.
Alternatively, for certain individuals this is a genuine source of pleasure and turns into a pastime. They take satisfaction in dedicating time, attention, and money to the pursuits they love. It brings them joy. There's no need to be such a killjoy.
 
5byfive said:

GTS97 said:

Honestly, a few of you are way overthinking this.
Alternatively, for certain individuals this is a genuine source of pleasure and turns into a pastime. They take satisfaction in dedicating time, attention, and money to the pursuits they love. It brings them joy. There's no need to be such a killjoy.
Yet when a practice serves no purpose and isn't needed, and when somebody could observe it and conclude they can stop wiping the vial's top, that's when it turns into an issue.
 
No one in this community is bringing that up. In reality, the thread says the exact reverse. Should your only aim be to find fault and start arguments, I'd recommend heading off to Reddit. That place will suit you more.
 
5byfive said:

No one in this community is bringing that up. In reality, the thread says the exact reverse. Should your only aim be to find fault and start arguments, I'd recommend heading off to Reddit. That place will suit you more.
While nobody came right out and stated it, the thought will cross somebody's mind; for the sake of infection control once more, it deserves a mention.

A fair observation was raised by someone about these not being stocked by any medical stores. That lines up with what I was getting at. I'm not looking for arguments, and if something this minor bothers you, I'd suggest turning your attention inward.
 
Everything that needed to be brought up was already brought up, yet none of it came from you. Instead, you aimed a dismissive remark at every person who had contributed to the thread. I'm still fairly new around here, but what draws me to this forum is its positive atmosphere, where members stay courteous and constructive even in disagreement. I want things to go well for you here, so please bear that in mind. With that, I'm stepping away from this thread and this discussion.
 
When I first began with compounded, the packaging was resealable bags, ziplock style, so those are still what I put them in inside my kitchen fridge. Years ago, when my dog was on insulin, the vial was supplied in a box made for its size, and that box is where I kept it, figuring it offered reasonable protection if it got dropped.

Unless an antibacterial cap is developed that won't harm the stopper and allows recapping until the vial is completely finished, I wouldn't bother with caps.
 
I picked up a batch of empty vials, but they didn't get as much use as I'd expected. They included small plastic caps that snap on, so I simply rely on those.
 
I'm on board with using caps, but I worry about sealing dampness inside. That's why I keep mine in an insulated insulin zipper case inside the fridge.
 
GTS97 said:

5byfive said:

GTS97 said:

Honestly, a few of you are way overthinking this.
Alternatively, for certain individuals this is a genuine source of pleasure and turns into a pastime. They take satisfaction in dedicating time, attention, and money to the pursuits they love. It brings them joy. There's no need to be such a killjoy.
Yet when a practice serves no purpose and isn't needed, and when somebody could observe it and conclude they can stop wiping the vial's top, that's when it turns into an issue.
Indeed, regardless of whichever 'little hat' gets placed over a vial, you still need to do the alcohol swabbing...
 
I rely on the small ceramic pots that came with this yogurt maker. A silicone gasket sits in the lid.

One pot holds the vial I’m currently drawing from, another is for BAC water, and a third serves as a needle disposal bin. (There’s also one for salt. When making yogurt, I only use the big glass jars.)

To tell them apart, I put stars or red dots on them.

Inside, I’ve lined everything with bubble wrap; the vial rests firmly in the center, with nothing coming into contact with the rubber. A while back, I got into the habit of tossing the used disinfectant wipe in before it goes into the fridge - just because. By the next time I reach for it, a week later, it’s dried out. Whether that helps with disinfection is unclear.
 
Enyola said:

I rely on the small ceramic pots that came with this yogurt maker. A silicone gasket sits in the lid.

One pot holds the vial I’m currently drawing from, another is for BAC water, and a third serves as a needle disposal bin. (There’s also one for salt. When making yogurt, I only use the big glass jars.)

To tell them apart, I put stars or red dots on them.

Inside, I’ve lined everything with bubble wrap; the vial rests firmly in the center, with nothing coming into contact with the rubber. A while back, I got into the habit of tossing the used disinfectant wipe in before it goes into the fridge - just because. By the next time I reach for it, a week later, it’s dried out. Whether that helps with disinfection is unclear.

It won't make disinfection any better, and if the surface you just wiped happened to be dirty, it could actually create an issue.

Doing this offers nothing positive—at best it's neutral, at worst it's harmful.
 
I don't cover the vial's top at all, personally. My routine is just to wipe the top with disinfectant both before and after I draw my medication. In the clinic where I've worked, vial covers were never part of medication handling, so buying one never crossed my mind.

That said, my suggestion would be to store them in a container so they aren't mixed in with the other things you're keeping them alongside.
 
GTS97 said:

5byfive said:

No one in this community is bringing that up. In reality, the thread says the exact reverse. Should your only aim be to find fault and start arguments, I'd recommend heading off to Reddit. That place will suit you more.
While nobody came right out and stated it, the thought will cross somebody's mind; for the sake of infection control once more, it deserves a mention.

A fair observation was raised by someone about these not being stocked by any medical stores. That lines up with what I was getting at. I'm not looking for arguments, and if something this minor bothers you, I'd suggest turning your attention inward.

GTS97 said:

5byfive said:

No one in this community is bringing that up. In reality, the thread says the exact reverse. Should your only aim be to find fault and start arguments, I'd recommend heading off to Reddit. That place will suit you more.
While nobody came right out and stated it, the thought will cross somebody's mind; for the sake of infection control once more, it deserves a mention.

A fair observation was raised by someone about these not being stocked by any medical stores. That lines up with what I was getting at. I'm not looking for arguments, and if something this minor bothers you, I'd suggest turning your attention inward.



Pharmacies won't serve customers who store their supplies in a fridge alongside food. Likewise, hospitals never place meals in the medication fridge or medications in the food fridge.

When a practice helps someone feel safer, and harms neither you nor the person doing it, there's no problem. Your hypothetical suggesting people would stop wiping their vials is simply ridiculous.



As you yourself put it, "if you are offended by something so trivial I suggest you look inward" — and perhaps take a break from the keyboard.

had to quote it twice do to getting an error saying my post went against rules. For some reason, 2 quotes stopped it
 
Back
Top