What number are you aiming for on the scale, and what makes it the one?

When my oldest child left for college, I was in good shape and healthy. Then I began eating more and moving less, and that pattern stuck around as menopause hit; an injury also set my fitness back. Meanwhile, my husband put on a lot of weight and developed diabetes. He was able to get medication through insurance, but I wasn't. Insurance frustrates me so much. I told myself I wanted to go through this alongside him, so I went with a compounded version from a doctor I know. I'm not clear on what my target should be, or how fast I ought to increase the dose (my doctor said 4 weeks at 2.5, then move to 5), but I keep seeing people go up more slowly, and I figure that's part of what makes compounded better than auto-inject. I'm thinking I want to drop around 25 lbs.
 
Really good question. At first my aim was a BMI in the overweight range rather than the obese range. Once I hit that and took a few months off, I moved the goalposts: drop another 10kg. The reason now has more to do with feeling confident and losing the tyre of fat around my middle. I'd really like to feel proud taking my shirt off at the beach again, without that self-conscious feeling. Being 55 years old, I also weigh up the other health problems that come with extra weight. Since the first round of weight loss, I've been able to stop every medication for my arthritic knee, so that makes me pretty happy as well.
 
Gordito said:

Really good question. At first my aim was a BMI in the overweight range rather than the obese range. Once I hit that and took a few months off, I moved the goalposts: drop another 10kg. The reason now has more to do with feeling confident and losing the tyre of fat around my middle. I'd really like to feel proud taking my shirt off at the beach again, without that self-conscious feeling. Being 55 years old, I also weigh up the other health problems that come with extra weight. Since the first round of weight loss, I've been able to stop every medication for my arthritic knee, so that makes me pretty happy as well.
if you carry on like this, that name of yours won't fit anymore!
 
Skidude said:

Gordito said:

Really good question. At first my aim was a BMI in the overweight range rather than the obese range. Once I hit that and took a few months off, I moved the goalposts: drop another 10kg. The reason now has more to do with feeling confident and losing the tyre of fat around my middle. I'd really like to feel proud taking my shirt off at the beach again, without that self-conscious feeling. Being 55 years old, I also weigh up the other health problems that come with extra weight. Since the first round of weight loss, I've been able to stop every medication for my arthritic knee, so that makes me pretty happy as well.
if you carry on like this, that name of yours won't fit anymore!
Hahaha, so much for staying big.
 
145 lbs / 66 kg, since that's the weight where I was happy with both my appearance and how my body felt. After reaching it, I'd likely end up nearer 140 if I'm ever able to pay for loose skin removal.
 
Mine is 200. The last time I weighed that was at age 18, which was 47 years back. As an adult, 230 is the least I have ever weighed. CW: 250.
 
I don't have a weight target in mind. What I'm focused on is body fat. Initially, 12% was the figure I had in mind. After beginning Reta in mid-April, I went from 24% down to 13.7%, which made me more ambitious, so now I'm shooting for 10%.
 
121. My aim is to land right in the middle of the lower portion of the healthy BMI range, so that a small gain during maintenance workouts won't make me feel fat.

Getting there...isn't going well. I keep bouncing around 126 to 128 and can't push past that, and I also don't feel strongly enough about my goal weight to buckle down and be as disciplined as I'd need to be at this point.
 
ultima thule said:

I don't have a weight target in mind. What I'm focused on is body fat. Initially, 12% was the figure I had in mind. After beginning Reta in mid-April, I went from 24% down to 13.7%, which made me more ambitious, so now I'm shooting for 10%.

My target isn't a scale number either — it's a body fat percentage. According to a recent DEXA, I'm sitting at 32.2% body fat. I've only just begun using reta, and at this point my aim is roughly 20%.
 
At first I aimed for 220. For my height, that sits almost exactly where BMI shifts from overweight into obese, but the reason I picked it wasn't the BMI line — it was that I've bounced up and down a lot as an adult. I've dipped under 220 a few times, yet most of the time I've been well above it, and around 220 things felt like they could hold steady and my clothes fit okay.

Right now I'm hovering near 220, and I've decided to keep going until I hit at least 210. In the past, dropping under 220 was tough to stay at, since I don't enjoy tracking calories or giving up dessert, and I'd slowly slip back. With GLP-1 helping me, it's way simpler to just naturally pass on the worst food options without logging everything in some spreadsheet. So I'm confident I can reach at least 210, and might even manage to get down to 200.
 
My main target is 99,9kg. That was what I weighed back when I finished school and started college. Today, though, I hit a different milestone: under 130kg. That was my weight during college, when I was training hard and could never get below that point. So my CW is now the lowest I've been in 20 years. The next smaller target is going to be 120kg.
 
The scale figure doesn't really matter to me, since my BMI has always been crazy high even at my leanest. What I care about is getting body fat under 10%, and for that I'd have to drop below 250lbs. I began Reta 4 weeks ago at 278.8 and I'm at 273.3lbs now. That said, I started 5.5ius gh alongside Reta at the same time, so I'm carrying some extra water because of it. Every day I do weight training — 21 sets heavy — plus 1 hour of cardio. So far I've only worked up to 2.6mg Reta.
 
My first aim was to match the weight I had at college graduation. That came far too easily. Then it hit me that during my senior year I'd been following the "fat guy" program (Military academy).

So I set a fresh target: the same as my lowest weight back when I was racing regularly. Reached it pretty quickly too.

After that, I thought about my BMI at the beginning of this whole experiment (40.0 - Morbidly Obese), and about what number would move me out of the Obese range (BMI <30 counts as Overweight, not Obese), and I made that my goal.

Still haven't made it there. But 7 months in, and I'm near!
 
SpicyQuinn said:

I’m a 39-year-old woman, and I really want to know what “goal weights” everyone here has picked, plus the reason behind that exact figure ??

Is the figure itself the point?

Is it a clothing size you’ve pictured yourself in for years ??

Or is there some particular target you’re working toward??

I’ve had this same question put to me, and honestly I can’t give a real answer. What am I aiming for? No clue 🤷🏼‍♀️ I just want to look and feel better..Over 10 years I’ve dropped roughly 170lbs. It’s been a long road, and I’m still not sure “what I want in the end to be satisfied!” 🤣

Can’t wait to read what everyone says!!!

Sw:306

CW :135
My approach isn't built around a single goal weight — milestones are what I track instead. 2 of them are already behind me. The 1st was shedding 10% of my body weight. Next came getting below 200 lbs. At this point, my aim is to stop being obese, and I'm roughly 2 lbs from that (though having just returned from a cruise, the gap may be a little wider lol). Beyond that, I'd like to have dropped 20% of my starting weight. Then, after that, reaching a normal BMI is the target. Should that happen, who knows?
 
Years back I weighed 60kg, yet my midsection still stuck out. What I really want is to get rid of that belly fat, so I'm aiming for 60KG again but through body recomp.
 
I don’t have a fixed weight in mind either. 51-year-old guy, 5 foot 9. Right now I’m 192lbs and 14% body fat. What I’m after is hitting 10%, purely to find out how that feels. After that, I’d like to sit at about 12% over the long haul. My guess is that puts me somewhere from 170 to 180. Though it’ll probably creep up a bit once more muscle comes on. I’m not chasing size—just an athletic, healthy build. If I could pick a look, it’d be Daniel Craig at his most ripped in the Bond films.
 
TacoLifter420 said:

I don’t have a fixed weight in mind either. 51-year-old guy, 5 foot 9. Right now I’m 192lbs and 14% body fat. What I’m after is hitting 10%, purely to find out how that feels. After that, I’d like to sit at about 12% over the long haul. My guess is that puts me somewhere from 170 to 180. Though it’ll probably creep up a bit once more muscle comes on. I’m not chasing size—just an athletic, healthy build. If I could pick a look, it’d be Daniel Craig at his most ripped in the Bond films.
I match your height and weight right now. A few years younger than you. About 10 years back I was in really good shape, and resistance training is nothing new to me. I managed to reach 168 and 10%, but it felt impossible to maintain. I was constantly hungry. Still, I had abs for 1 summer. I can't wait to find out how it feels now that the magic sauce is in the mix.
 
Back
Top