What do you do with your old clothes?

At this point, most of my old clothes have gone to Karm. Chelsea Daggerz's take on Goodwill matches my own view. The other day, as I was about to leave some items at Goodwill, my wife mentioned that they run auctions—so I turned around and took them to Karm instead.
 
Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?

That's amazing news!!!

Once I fully dedicated myself to losing weight, I handled my old clothes in a few ways: a portion was sold, a portion was given away, and a portion was thrown out.

Just remember, it's hard to find bigger sizes at thrift stores or donation centers.
 
Congrats!! Having to figure out what to do with a closet that's suddenly half too big is truly the best kind of dilemma!

For me, nearly 2 years passed before the change was obvious enough that buying new things and clearing out the big sizes made sense. After that, I tackled the closet one season at a time. First a fall/winter pass, then a spring/summer pass.

My teenage daughter served as judge and jury. Anything simply too large got put aside for shelters, and there's a local donation center near us that passes clothes along to people who need them. That's how I handled it.

Next came the pieces that still fit — old stashes buried at the back of the closet — and those faced my daughter's strict verdict. As I put each one on, she'd give it a 👍🏻or👎🏻. I came to see that fitting didn't automatically mean I'd wear it, or that it was still in style. So many things I'd held onto for some future day when they'd fit again — that day arrived, and I found myself thinking ewww, this is too dated, or even frumpy. Clearing out every unflattering, out-of-date piece and keeping only what fit and what still counted as a classic was such a freeing experience.

After that I wrote down what I needed or wanted. Shopping feels fun and focused once more. No hoarding. These days that energy goes toward Korean skincare and peptides. 😹
 
redhead said:

Congrats!! Having to figure out what to do with a closet that's suddenly half too big is truly the best kind of dilemma!

For me, nearly 2 years passed before the change was obvious enough that buying new things and clearing out the big sizes made sense. After that, I tackled the closet one season at a time. First a fall/winter pass, then a spring/summer pass.

My teenage daughter served as judge and jury. Anything simply too large got put aside for shelters, and there's a local donation center near us that passes clothes along to people who need them. That's how I handled it.

Next came the pieces that still fit — old stashes buried at the back of the closet — and those faced my daughter's strict verdict. As I put each one on, she'd give it a 👍🏻or👎🏻. I came to see that fitting didn't automatically mean I'd wear it, or that it was still in style. So many things I'd held onto for some future day when they'd fit again — that day arrived, and I found myself thinking ewww, this is too dated, or even frumpy. Clearing out every unflattering, out-of-date piece and keeping only what fit and what still counted as a classic was such a freeing experience.

After that I wrote down what I needed or wanted. Shopping feels fun and focused once more. No hoarding. These days that energy goes toward Korean skincare and peptides. 😹
Great work! I can't wait to free up more space. Sadly, my daughter isn't someone I can turn to, because she'd get rid of my whole closet! In her view, I own far too many "Dad" clothes, but I'm fine with that.
 
Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
Hold onto a small number, give away the remainder. Donation options exist that aren't just Goodwill.
 
Chili777 said:

redhead said:

Congrats!! Having to figure out what to do with a closet that's suddenly half too big is truly the best kind of dilemma!

For me, nearly 2 years passed before the change was obvious enough that buying new things and clearing out the big sizes made sense. After that, I tackled the closet one season at a time. First a fall/winter pass, then a spring/summer pass.

My teenage daughter served as judge and jury. Anything simply too large got put aside for shelters, and there's a local donation center near us that passes clothes along to people who need them. That's how I handled it.

Next came the pieces that still fit — old stashes buried at the back of the closet — and those faced my daughter's strict verdict. As I put each one on, she'd give it a 👍🏻or👎🏻. I came to see that fitting didn't automatically mean I'd wear it, or that it was still in style. So many things I'd held onto for some future day when they'd fit again — that day arrived, and I found myself thinking ewww, this is too dated, or even frumpy. Clearing out every unflattering, out-of-date piece and keeping only what fit and what still counted as a classic was such a freeing experience.

After that I wrote down what I needed or wanted. Shopping feels fun and focused once more. No hoarding. These days that energy goes toward Korean skincare and peptides. 😹
Great work! I can't wait to free up more space. Sadly, my daughter isn't someone I can turn to, because she'd get rid of my whole closet! In her view, I own far too many "Dad" clothes, but I'm fine with that.
My teenager certainly had thoughts, and we clashed over certain pieces I adored. Still, she was excellent at pointing out what suited me and what made me look older. The "aging" outfits stung, but I have no wish to dress like a Golden Girl! Even so, I held on to a handful of items I simply adore.
 
Like other people mentioned, get in touch with homeless shelters and women's shelters. Clean clothing is something they constantly need, regardless of style or how old-fashioned the items might seem.

Goodwill should only be used if nothing else works, without exception.
 
Chili777 said:

redbullwings said:

First, big congrats on fitting into 34s — that's a huge achievement. Really glad for you.

Giving them away is the way to go, and then move forward. Look into charity shops or shelters in your area. Those metal clothing bank bins in parking lots work too — just toss them in.

You'll feel great about it. It helps others, and I think there's something symbolic in it as well. It marks the end of one phase and strengthens new routines, a different outlook, and progress.

That's my take: if your weight ever changes, you can deal with it at that point — there's no reason to keep a closet full of excuses to slip back.
Appreciate it. Donating is the direction I'm heading in — my hesitation comes from having already replaced my entire closet twice before, each time convinced it would stick. Back when I began, I figured Reta wouldn't be a lifelong thing for me. These days, though, it might have to be.
If keeping a weekly injection going is what stops me from slipping backward, then so be it — I'm in the same boat as you!
 
Jerrey said:

Chili777 said:

redbullwings said:

First, big congrats on fitting into 34s — that's a huge achievement. Really glad for you.

Giving them away is the way to go, and then move forward. Look into charity shops or shelters in your area. Those metal clothing bank bins in parking lots work too — just toss them in.

You'll feel great about it. It helps others, and I think there's something symbolic in it as well. It marks the end of one phase and strengthens new routines, a different outlook, and progress.

That's my take: if your weight ever changes, you can deal with it at that point — there's no reason to keep a closet full of excuses to slip back.
Appreciate it. Donating is the direction I'm heading in — my hesitation comes from having already replaced my entire closet twice before, each time convinced it would stick. Back when I began, I figured Reta wouldn't be a lifelong thing for me. These days, though, it might have to be.
If keeping a weekly injection going is what stops me from slipping backward, then so be it — I'm in the same boat as you!
These medications are a permanent part of my life. I won't deal with weight coming back again.

My doctor put it this way—people who need blood pressure medication or insulin take them indefinitely. Anyone using GLP who could never make weight loss stick is in that same lifelong category. In her view, the goal is to settle on a maintenance dose, because the root problem (IR) doesn't go away and still needs treating. When lifestyle isn't the culprit, it's IR, and that means medication for life.
 
tncc_rn said:

Like other people mentioned, get in touch with homeless shelters and women's shelters. Clean clothing is something they constantly need, regardless of style or how old-fashioned the items might seem.

Goodwill should only be used if nothing else works, without exception.
Beyond that, shelters that serve veterans, along with churches, frequently make excellent channels for providing assistance
 
redhead said:

tncc_rn said:

Like other people mentioned, get in touch with homeless shelters and women's shelters. Clean clothing is something they constantly need, regardless of style or how old-fashioned the items might seem.

Goodwill should only be used if nothing else works, without exception.
Beyond that, shelters that serve veterans, along with churches, frequently make excellent channels for providing assistance
That's a smart thought! Around here, there are a few groups that support veterans.
 
nursing homes, thrift stores for a cause, homeless shelters.

A few bags of clothes that were still new and unworn got sent by me to thredup (a sort of online thrift store) recently, thinking a little extra would come back to buy new stuff, but alot of them ended up not being listed and next to nothing was received for them. Donating to people who could've used them is really what I wish I had just done. It's a great place to buy clothes cheap after weight loss though.
 
Old clothes can go to your local Goodwill.

While I was dropping weight, Goodwill came in handy for picking up a few pairs of pants/jeans whenever I moved into a smaller size on the way to my goal. That helps out other GLPers too.

I also held onto a couple of pants that are 1 size up, using them to check whether I'm putting on a bit around the middle — if they still fit really loose, I figure I'm keeping both my weight and physique steady.
 
14hours said:

Old clothes can go to your local Goodwill.

While I was dropping weight, Goodwill came in handy for picking up a few pairs of pants/jeans whenever I moved into a smaller size on the way to my goal. That helps out other GLPers too.

I also held onto a couple of pants that are 1 size up, using them to check whether I'm putting on a bit around the middle — if they still fit really loose, I figure I'm keeping both my weight and physique steady.
Where I am, Goodwill won't take them — and that's true for many other locations too. Check what I said earlier.
 
I'm dealing with the same thing. Since dropping from a size 50 pant to a 36, I received an entirely new wardrobe for xmas. Over the last year I've shed 100lbs, and I never intend to go back to that size. There are still 20lbs left to lose, and by springtime I'm hoping to fit a size 34. My plan is to give pants to a local charity, while my big shirts get taken on vacation and left behind for the homeless.

On the way down I was picking up second hand clothes at Savers, and when you donate clothes back they hand you a 20% coupon toward your next purchase.
 
ghreid said:

I'm dealing with the same thing. Since dropping from a size 50 pant to a 36, I received an entirely new wardrobe for xmas. Over the last year I've shed 100lbs, and I never intend to go back to that size. There are still 20lbs left to lose, and by springtime I'm hoping to fit a size 34. My plan is to give pants to a local charity, while my big shirts get taken on vacation and left behind for the homeless.

On the way down I was picking up second hand clothes at Savers, and when you donate clothes back they hand you a 20% coupon toward your next purchase.
That's wonderful news! 🎉🎉 Well done on how far you've come. After checking, it turns out there aren't any Savers locations in my state. A shame, really — it seems like a really good concept.
 
Super Trips said:

keep them, you never know when a relapse might happen

In the past, I've dropped weight, cleared out every single "fat clothes" item because "I'M nEvaR gOinG bAck", only to relapse and need to restock.

Another time, after losing weight, I held onto a sensible stash of larger-size clothing without making a fuss. My reasoning was: "If my worst fears come true, I will already be so depressed, and I want that poor woman to have nice clothes that fit well if it does, because she has enough problems." When I did relapse, I felt thankful to Past Me for showing compassion and keeping me able to get dressed without hassle.

Right now I'm getting rid of a lot, but I'm holding on to roughly a week's worth of pieces that made me feel pretty even at my heaviest.
 
Hoodies and a sweater are about the only things I'm fine with looking loose on me; everything else is headed to the neighborhood thrift shop. There was a time when I'd have held onto them, but my hope is that the weight stays off, and should I need additional clothes, I'll simply go buy them. On top of that, these days I'm in the same outfit for work 5 days a week, so what I need to wear is mainly for weekends and vacation.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Super Trips said:

keep them, you never know when a relapse might happen

In the past, I've dropped weight, cleared out every single "fat clothes" item because "I'M nEvaR gOinG bAck", only to relapse and need to restock.

Another time, after losing weight, I held onto a sensible stash of larger-size clothing without making a fuss. My reasoning was: "If my worst fears come true, I will already be so depressed, and I want that poor woman to have nice clothes that fit well if it does, because she has enough problems." When I did relapse, I felt thankful to Past Me for showing compassion and keeping me able to get dressed without hassle.

Right now I'm getting rid of a lot, but I'm holding on to roughly a week's worth of pieces that made me feel pretty even at my heaviest.
Even when your freezer is stocked like that? 😮 I'm going to push my luck: I'll hold on to 1 size up and donate everything else, judging by how much I've got stored. Last time I held on to them, I let myself expand again.
 
Back
Top