What do you do with your old clothes?

Where I live, there are also rules about which donations are accepted. Everything that had become too big for me went into a black trash bag, which I left sitting in a corner. My rule was simple: if 3 whole months passed without me needing a single thing from that bag, it would be thrown away. That is exactly what happened.

And fwiw, a coach I consider very smart once pointed out that whenever your answer starts with 'yeah, but...', you are making a case for holding on to your problem.
 
randompersonrandom said:

Almost every piece in my closet comes from thredup or Poshmark. Now that I'm in my "skinny bitch era," I hit the mall today to test out a bunch of brands and figure out my current size in each one, plus grab a shirt or two so brick-and-mortar stores stay alive—since I have no clue which brands exist or how they'll sit on this body. I stopped by Aeropostale (pretty much the only current store selling low-rise pants), Dillards, Macy's, and some others. After getting home, I placed an order for two hundred dollars' worth of blouses and pants, and threw in a bag. I'll stuff it with my old clothes and ship it out. That should balance out my re-wardrobing somewhat.
That's wonderful to hear!
 
I tend to hoard things. While digging through the closet, I came across a pair of Levi 501 jeans in size 30 that I've had for 40 years. They fit me now!!! Alright, so now that my weight is finally under control, maybe I should tackle the hoarding issue!!!
 
If you plan on bulking: hold onto a few of the tightest pieces.

If not: give every last one away. There's no need for them to end up in a landfill.
 
Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
 
swimmer said:

I tend to hoard things. While digging through the closet, I came across a pair of Levi 501 jeans in size 30 that I've had for 40 years. They fit me now!!! Alright, so now that my weight is finally under control, maybe I should tackle the hoarding issue!!!
Exactly the same for me!! Yesterday I cleared out my closet and pulled 3 big bags of tops that now hang on me like a tent. My husband pushed me to buy some new things when he pointed out that my jeans had gotten so baggy he could no longer see my butt. 😆

The upside: thanks to my hoarding habits, there's no need to spend on an entirely new wardrobe — I've kept every piece of clothing from before I put on all the weight.

Anything that's now too large is headed to a battered women's shelter in my hometown.
 
chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
 
Chili777 said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
The reason is that Goodwill has moved to an online auction model, selling donated goods to whoever bids the most. So my donations go to shelters and churches instead, and when those places don't have a need, I bring the items to a rescue mission. Goodwill's focus has shifted away from community service and toward its own interests, its CEOs and boards of directors.
 
chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
The reason is that Goodwill has moved to an online auction model, selling donated goods to whoever bids the most. So my donations go to shelters and churches instead, and when those places don't have a need, I bring the items to a rescue mission. Goodwill's focus has shifted away from community service and toward its own interests, its CEOs and boards of directors.
Yeah, I figured that might be the case too. These days they're basically operating as a for-profit entity. That's unfortunate.
 
chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
The reason is that Goodwill has moved to an online auction model, selling donated goods to whoever bids the most. So my donations go to shelters and churches instead, and when those places don't have a need, I bring the items to a rescue mission. Goodwill's focus has shifted away from community service and toward its own interests, its CEOs and boards of directors.
Honestly, Goodwill has always operated that way. It's just that more people are aware of it these days.
 
conzopiriani said:

randompersonrandom said:

Almost every piece in my closet comes from thredup or Poshmark. Now that I'm in my "skinny bitch era," I hit the mall today to test out a bunch of brands and figure out my current size in each one, plus grab a shirt or two so brick-and-mortar stores stay alive—since I have no clue which brands exist or how they'll sit on this body. I stopped by Aeropostale (pretty much the only current store selling low-rise pants), Dillards, Macy's, and some others. After getting home, I placed an order for two hundred dollars' worth of blouses and pants, and threw in a bag. I'll stuff it with my old clothes and ship it out. That should balance out my re-wardrobing somewhat.
That's wonderful to hear!
I appreciate it. I feel great. I've taken up the steel tongue drum, and each week I put up "mini-recitals" on FB — similar to a child's piano recital, only I'm 45 and no one has to go anywhere — playing whatever piece I've practiced. The thing is, I can simply upload VIDEO of myself, seated, without any emotional fallout over "my face looks so fat, my belly is showing, my arms are fat," and so on; the video ends up being about how skilled I am on the drum rather than how I look one way or the other. I still can't quite get my mind around that.

(I'm not saying or suggesting that anyone heavier shouldn't post video of themselves, or that they don't look good enough or lack the right to be seen, or that they ought to judge their own appearance enough to avoid video, because going through that was zero stars, do not recommend. What I am saying is that I definitely struggled with it, and I'm thankful to be free of it as a factor.)
 
yrrdead said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
The reason is that Goodwill has moved to an online auction model, selling donated goods to whoever bids the most. So my donations go to shelters and churches instead, and when those places don't have a need, I bring the items to a rescue mission. Goodwill's focus has shifted away from community service and toward its own interests, its CEOs and boards of directors.
Honestly, Goodwill has always operated that way. It's just that more people are aware of it these days.
I'm not sure. My shopping there goes back more than 30 years, and it wasn't always this way. This has been going on for quite a while now, though during the 80's and the start of the 90's, that wasn't my experience. Or at least, I never saw it that way.
 
chelsea daggerz said:

yrrdead said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

chelsea daggerz said:

Chili777 said:

Today I picked up a pair of 34" jeans — the first time that's happened since my 20's, which was 40 years back. I still need to drop 12 lbs to hit my original target, and 20 lbs to reach what my doctor wants. I'm over the moon, but it also leaves me with a closet full of stuff — mainly jeans, pants and shorts — in sizes 34", 36", 38", 40", 42" and 44". For those outside the US, that's 86-114cm. 😮

So, how did you handle it, or how do you plan to handle it, when your wardrobe looks like this? Keeping the biggest sizes seems pointless to me, since going back there is the last thing I want. Should I hold onto a few pairs a size or two up and stash them away "just in case"? I've done the yo-yo thing before. Or do I torch everything above my current size and never look back? Goodwill crossed my mind, but the 2 locations near me only accept "lightly used" items, and mine don't qualify — they've been worn hard. I can't decide what to hold onto and what to get rid of. What do you think, or what worked for you?
These days, Goodwill doesn't exactly have the greatest practices. If helping your local community matters to you, try reaching out to a shelter or a church to ask whether they could use them.
I couldn't believe it. When I did this very same thing 12 years back, they gladly accepted bags full of clean secondhand clothes. Nothing had tears, holes, or stains. This time around, the response was to hang onto them unless they were brand new or only worn once! They wouldn't even glance at them. My guess is their policy shifted because so many folks are on GLP1s that they can now pick and choose. I'm not certain, but best of luck with that.
The reason is that Goodwill has moved to an online auction model, selling donated goods to whoever bids the most. So my donations go to shelters and churches instead, and when those places don't have a need, I bring the items to a rescue mission. Goodwill's focus has shifted away from community service and toward its own interests, its CEOs and boards of directors.
Honestly, Goodwill has always operated that way. It's just that more people are aware of it these days.
I'm not sure. My shopping there goes back more than 30 years, and it wasn't always this way. This has been going on for quite a while now, though during the 80's and the start of the 90's, that wasn't my experience. Or at least, I never saw it that way.
Likewise. I was aware their standards had tightened, but I had no idea how far they've gone compared with earlier days. Back in 2015, they accepted every one of those bags of clothing I brought in without any issue.
 
Anything still in decent shape goes to the assistance program run by our local school district. Families who need it get clothing at no cost through them (unlike Goodwill, which slaps on absurdly high prices). Naturally, the items have to be something a high schooler would actually put on, though plain shirts, sweaters, jeans and loungewear usually work fine.
 
Super Trips said:

keep them, you never know when a relapse might happen
Given the stock in my freezer, by that point I'll either have died or be too far gone to notice.
 
Peptidedudez said:

Hold onto them just in case the FDA wakes up 😉
Which is exactly why you should stockpile a 10-year supply of a few peptides you're fond of.

Super Trips said:

keep them, you never know when a relapse might happen
Peptides are the thing to hoard! That's the longest stretch I've gone without being overweight since becoming an adult.
 
mlke6 said:

Peptidedudez said:

Hold onto them just in case the FDA wakes up 😉
Which is exactly why you should stockpile a 10-year supply of a few peptides you're fond of.

Super Trips said:

keep them, you never know when a relapse might happen
Peptides are the thing to hoard! That's the longest stretch I've gone without being overweight since becoming an adult.
Plus, keeping peptides around uses up less room than keeping clothes around.
 
Back
Top