I don’t ever wake during the night. Strange, given how my sleep used to be. For years I struggled with terrible insomnia — I’d consistently wake at 2-3am and be unable to fall back asleep.
Since that kept happening, I deliberately shifted toward biphasic sleeping. Bedtime was 10pm, with an alarm at 2am. From 2am I’d stay up for 2 hours, return to sleep at 4am, set another alarm, and get up at 8am. That approach appeared to make a big difference.
Jump ahead to the present. I have sleep apnea, confirmed through 2 sleep studies. At the time of both studies I was roughly 20-30 lbs overweight. After that I reached 60 lbs overweight, and I’m now back to 30 lbs overweight.
The strange part: I NEVER wake after falling asleep. Whether I get 5-6 hours or 8 hours, I don’t wake. Apparently my breathing stops during that time, but it doesn’t rouse me. I simply get up already exhausted, since my sleep is evidently poor because of the apnea — yet I don’t wake, and I do dream. I’ll urinate right after getting up, but that isn’t what pulls me out of sleep.
There is in fact an FDA approved drug for sleep apnea. It’s called Tirzepatide. It was somewhat amusing when my Dr brought up my apnea recently, probably weeks after I had already started Tirz. I told him ‘there’s this drug, maybe we should try it’. I hope it helps.
I have a lifetime supply of Ambein left over from all those insomnia years, because I almost never took it. It doesn’t improve my sleep and leaves me feeling more lethargic upon waking. I also never get any of the entertaining Ambien effects, like going shopping and buying big screen TVs at 3am with no memory of it. So Ambien sucks.