Waist-to-hip ratio as a health marker?

eidos said:

Male or female?

Personally I'm delighted to measure (well) under a meter around.

The one statistic that caught my attention was the study done on centerfold Playmates, which found a ratio of around 65-67%.
So a woman's wellbeing bores you, while how shaggable she looks clearly doesn't. Appreciate you weighing in, I suppose?
 
AngieHolmes said:

eidos said:

Male or female?

Personally I'm delighted to measure (well) under a meter around.

The one statistic that caught my attention was the study done on centerfold Playmates, which found a ratio of around 65-67%.
So a woman's wellbeing bores you, while how shaggable she looks clearly doesn't. Appreciate you weighing in, I suppose?
I'm genuinely sorry that a joke meant ironically ended up dredging up something painful for you. Causing that was never my aim.
 
eidos said:

AngieHolmes said:

eidos said:

Male or female?

Personally I'm delighted to measure (well) under a meter around.

The one statistic that caught my attention was the study done on centerfold Playmates, which found a ratio of around 65-67%.
So a woman's wellbeing bores you, while how shaggable she looks clearly doesn't. Appreciate you weighing in, I suppose?
I'm genuinely sorry that a joke meant ironically ended up dredging up something painful for you. Causing that was never my aim.
No apology is called for — nothing here got wounded. I simply made an observation, and I take it that put you on the defensive?
 
Try not to be too hard on yourself for missing the goal inside a single year. Reaching my gw took 7 months of reta and 19 months in total. Patience usually beats rushing.

On the subject of hip ratios and the rest of it, I couldn't care less. Not once have I put a tape measure around myself or had any scans done. I'm slimmer than I have ever been, and that's the win I'm counting.
 
CNCCurrency said:

professorpeppy said:

0.62... what am I supposed to take from this?!!!

BMI and height to waist ratio are the only ones I've used..
Over in the armed forces, that number is how they flag you as carrying too much weight.
Lucky for me I never joined up, and fair play to you. You'll find my numbers down below! Yep, still carrying plenty of extra weight!
 
Honestly, the whole idea strikes me as rather daft. By those charts I land in the best bracket, the lowest risk one, and yet I'm still obese. Whether it's actually useful, I doubt.
 
The science behind the waist to hip ratio is beyond me, though on plain logic it looks shaky. It appears to reward women built like an hourglass. Everyone accepts that piling weight on around the middle is bad news…but give me hips and a generously sized backside to balance it out and suddenly I'm fine? In that case I'm extremely healthy! 😂
 
What you're dealing with there is a beauty yardstick, not a health one.

Feed in any waist figure that is =<95% of your hip figure and the chart calls you healthy — even with a 57" waist circumference.





7764da30036b84bf16de9be72c3ad59824fc8baa9ed47b81bde622e64a6d5d09.webp
 
Shittersfull said:

I couldn't care less about hip to waste ratio, or any of those other metrics. Wemon get judged on this sort of thing constantly. Social media keeps steering people towards a certian look, and it pathetic. Growing up I was brainwashed into believing that rail skinny blonde's with giant fake tits were whats attractive. At other points obesity was the glamorized body. Cloths going in and out of fashion is silly enough — what you like is what's in style for you. Body shapes going in and out of fashion is a different thing altogether, and it's wrecking people. There's a limit to how much you can control your shape anyway. Everyone's shape is their own. When you feal right you feal right. And if you need to look a particular way in order to feal right, maybe the answer is to surround yourself with people who do more for your self esteem? You've dropped a heap of wieght — that makes you a bad ass in my book. Your shape is none of my business. Just be happy with whatever version of you that you're after.

Maybe that explains why the Renaissance fascinates me so much 😂 , a period when a slightly Ruebenesque build counted as attractive. Whether obesity itself was ever glamorized I doubt. Even then, a bit of plumpness drew admiration, while being very heavy tended to attract mockery or moral disapproval.
 
HouseCat said:

The science behind the waist to hip ratio is beyond me, though on plain logic it looks shaky. It appears to reward women built like an hourglass. Everyone accepts that piling weight on around the middle is bad news…but give me hips and a generously sized backside to balance it out and suddenly I'm fine? In that case I'm extremely healthy! 😂
Yeah, I'd say it leans toward pear shaped women (and that leaning gets grotesquely sexualized). Whether biology carries the same lean, I'm unsure. Do all of us square shaped women have a documented, statistically verified higher risk even when we're light? That's what I can't dig up. What I find instead are shallow pieces telling you to eat less and move more to cut your risk (fair enough, I suppose), but nothing about the risks that no amount of effort removes.

Seeing that calculator startled me, since I've dropped an awful lot of inches.
 
Back
Top