Vision Loss Inquiry

littlemower

Explorer
Joined
Feb 16, 2026
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
colorado
Hello,

On Tuesday I took my initial 1 mg dose, and I've been experiencing some dry eye. After looking into it further, I found that there is actually research indicating it might lead to eye problems. Diabetes isn't something I have, but it does appear on my dad's side of the family. Because my vision is so poor, I have high myopia, which means I'm at greater risk for retina detachment "my dad did." Is reta something I should worry about?
 
The eye problem that concerns me most is NAION. I probably haven't come across every possible vision-related side effect tied to a GLP, but NAION was the one serious issue that really caught my attention.

My father and I have both experienced a detached retina... it wasn't a major issue (scleral buckle).
 
littlemower said:

Hello,

On Tuesday I took my initial 1 mg dose, and I've been experiencing some dry eye. After looking into it further, I found that there is actually research indicating it might lead to eye problems. Diabetes isn't something I have, but it does appear on my dad's side of the family. Because my vision is so poor, I have high myopia, which means I'm at greater risk for retina detachment "my dad did." Is reta something I should worry about?
For someone in your position, I'd say the overall risk of significant eye complications from reta is low to moderate. The dry eye you're experiencing probably stems from dehydration and isn't dangerous in itself. Still, do not dismiss it—given your high myopia and family history, you already face elevated odds of retinal problems. My advice would be to schedule a dilated eye exam promptly, preferably with a retina specialist, so you can establish a baseline for your retina. Be sure to bring up the recent dry eye and your reta usage. During the exam, they can look for lattice degeneration or other issues tied to myopia. Stay very well hydrated and keep monitoring your symptoms. If the dryness resolves fast, that's a good sign.
 
DjJoshua said:

littlemower said:

Hello,

On Tuesday I took my initial 1 mg dose, and I've been experiencing some dry eye. After looking into it further, I found that there is actually research indicating it might lead to eye problems. Diabetes isn't something I have, but it does appear on my dad's side of the family. Because my vision is so poor, I have high myopia, which means I'm at greater risk for retina detachment "my dad did." Is reta something I should worry about?
For someone in your position, I'd say the overall risk of significant eye complications from reta is low to moderate. The dry eye you're experiencing probably stems from dehydration and isn't dangerous in itself. Still, do not dismiss it—given your high myopia and family history, you already face elevated odds of retinal problems. My advice would be to schedule a dilated eye exam promptly, preferably with a retina specialist, so you can establish a baseline for your retina. Be sure to bring up the recent dry eye and your reta usage. During the exam, they can look for lattice degeneration or other issues tied to myopia. Stay very well hydrated and keep monitoring your symptoms. If the dryness resolves fast, that's a good sign.
A comprehensive eye exam I had 1 month back came back completely normal according to my optometrist, though she did mention that due to my high myopia I face an elevated chance of possible detachment
 
littlemower said:

DjJoshua said:

littlemower said:

Hello,

On Tuesday I took my initial 1 mg dose, and I've been experiencing some dry eye. After looking into it further, I found that there is actually research indicating it might lead to eye problems. Diabetes isn't something I have, but it does appear on my dad's side of the family. Because my vision is so poor, I have high myopia, which means I'm at greater risk for retina detachment "my dad did." Is reta something I should worry about?
For someone in your position, I'd say the overall risk of significant eye complications from reta is low to moderate. The dry eye you're experiencing probably stems from dehydration and isn't dangerous in itself. Still, do not dismiss it—given your high myopia and family history, you already face elevated odds of retinal problems. My advice would be to schedule a dilated eye exam promptly, preferably with a retina specialist, so you can establish a baseline for your retina. Be sure to bring up the recent dry eye and your reta usage. During the exam, they can look for lattice degeneration or other issues tied to myopia. Stay very well hydrated and keep monitoring your symptoms. If the dryness resolves fast, that's a good sign.
A comprehensive eye exam I had 1 month back came back completely normal according to my optometrist, though she did mention that due to my high myopia I face an elevated chance of possible detachment
If I had to make a 100% guess, I'd say your dry eye or slight blurriness is usually linked to dehydration (because GI issues can cut down how much you drink) or temporary lens shifts from metabolic changes, rather than any direct danger to the retina. My bet is that staying hydrated will clear it up eventually. That's only my guess, though. Perhaps someone else will offer their thoughts. I'd also suggest searching online using terms such as "dry eye," "vision changes," "myopia," "retinal," or "detachment" — you'll come across others with high myopia or early dryness describing how it got better (frequently through hydration and artificial tears). Maybe beyond this forum, there are other spots (reddit) to talk about topics like this specifically? Best of luck, and keep us posted if you can.
 
DjJoshua said:

littlemower said:

DjJoshua said:

littlemower said:

Hello,

On Tuesday I took my initial 1 mg dose, and I've been experiencing some dry eye. After looking into it further, I found that there is actually research indicating it might lead to eye problems. Diabetes isn't something I have, but it does appear on my dad's side of the family. Because my vision is so poor, I have high myopia, which means I'm at greater risk for retina detachment "my dad did." Is reta something I should worry about?
For someone in your position, I'd say the overall risk of significant eye complications from reta is low to moderate. The dry eye you're experiencing probably stems from dehydration and isn't dangerous in itself. Still, do not dismiss it—given your high myopia and family history, you already face elevated odds of retinal problems. My advice would be to schedule a dilated eye exam promptly, preferably with a retina specialist, so you can establish a baseline for your retina. Be sure to bring up the recent dry eye and your reta usage. During the exam, they can look for lattice degeneration or other issues tied to myopia. Stay very well hydrated and keep monitoring your symptoms. If the dryness resolves fast, that's a good sign.
A comprehensive eye exam I had 1 month back came back completely normal according to my optometrist, though she did mention that due to my high myopia I face an elevated chance of possible detachment
If I had to make a 100% guess, I'd say your dry eye or slight blurriness is usually linked to dehydration (because GI issues can cut down how much you drink) or temporary lens shifts from metabolic changes, rather than any direct danger to the retina. My bet is that staying hydrated will clear it up eventually. That's only my guess, though. Perhaps someone else will offer their thoughts. I'd also suggest searching online using terms such as "dry eye," "vision changes," "myopia," "retinal," or "detachment" — you'll come across others with high myopia or early dryness describing how it got better (frequently through hydration and artificial tears). Maybe beyond this forum, there are other spots (reddit) to talk about topics like this specifically? Best of luck, and keep us posted if you can.

I concur—dehydration is almost always the culprit behind dry eyes. Try adding electrolytes and using lubricating eye drops, then check whether your symptoms get better. Naturally, if you think it's necessary, make another appointment with your doctor.
 
Had you already been on a GLP1 when you began Reta? I'm just wondering, since I don't have anything useful to contribute.

One thing I can mention: right after I began Sema, my eyesight would occasionally go wobbly or oddly blurry. It didn't last long, and it's a side effect that shows up fairly often.
 
mtomm said:

Had you already been on a GLP1 when you began Reta? I'm just wondering, since I don't have anything useful to contribute.

One thing I can mention: right after I began Sema, my eyesight would occasionally go wobbly or oddly blurry. It didn't last long, and it's a side effect that shows up fairly often.
No, I haven't! From what I understand, sema in particular had a higher number of reported eye problems compared to the other options, right?
 
Back
Top