TRT When Testosterone Is Already High — Any Point for Lean Gains?

bayardtrustin

Explorer
Joined
Apr 11, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
Atlanta
I’ve spent the last 2 months doing strength work with a personal trainer. I’m not chasing a bulk; what I want is to add definition without losing leanness.

Labs came back recently, and here’s what they show:

Testosterone: 865 ng/dL

SHBG: 90.6 nmol/L

Free Testosterone: 96.3 pg/mL

My understanding is that TRT generally substitutes for what your body makes on its own, so I’m hesitant — my total testosterone looks fairly high as it stands.

With those figures and the goals I have, is TRT even something worth looking into? Or is this a situation where the downsides would be bigger than any upside?

I’d like to hear from people who’ve been through this.

♂ M51 5’10’’ SW:280 CW:177 GW:150 BF:21.4 BFG:15 📚 St@ck: R6 Mon > Tirz7.5 Wed > R6 Fri
 
You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
 
bayardtrustin said:

I’ve spent the last 2 months doing strength work with a personal trainer. I’m not chasing a bulk; what I want is to add definition without losing leanness.

Labs came back recently, and here’s what they show:

Testosterone: 865 ng/dL

SHBG: 90.6 nmol/L

Free Testosterone: 96.3 pg/mL

My understanding is that TRT generally substitutes for what your body makes on its own, so I’m hesitant — my total testosterone looks fairly high as it stands.

With those figures and the goals I have, is TRT even something worth looking into? Or is this a situation where the downsides would be bigger than any upside?

I’d like to hear from people who’ve been through this.

♂ M51 5’10’’ SW:280 CW:177 GW:150 BF:21.4 BFG:15 📚 St@ck: R6 Mon > Tirz7.5 Wed > R6 Fri
If your Test levels are already at that point, adding outside hormones would barely move the needle and would mainly just disrupt how your body operates.
 
Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
 
My TRT cruise sits at approximately the same range as your natural production. When things are working fine, there's no reason to mess with them.
 
bayardtrustin said:

I’ve spent the last 2 months doing strength work with a personal trainer. I’m not chasing a bulk; what I want is to add definition without losing leanness.

Labs came back recently, and here’s what they show:

Testosterone: 865 ng/dL

SHBG: 90.6 nmol/L

Free Testosterone: 96.3 pg/mL

My understanding is that TRT generally substitutes for what your body makes on its own, so I’m hesitant — my total testosterone looks fairly high as it stands.

With those figures and the goals I have, is TRT even something worth looking into? Or is this a situation where the downsides would be bigger than any upside?

I’d like to hear from people who’ve been through this.

♂ M51 5’10’’ SW:280 CW:177 GW:150 BF:21.4 BFG:15 📚 St@ck: R6 Mon > Tirz7.5 Wed > R6 Fri
How high was your e2? Dropping to around 15 bfp could push your natural test even higher. With numbers like yours, as one person pointed out, the actual question becomes whether to run a cycle and then cruise. My guess is that plenty of us on test plus Reta started with low test — in my case it was low because of past gear use, and I simply couldn't PCT anymore.
 
bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.
 
Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.

True, people throw around "TRT" very casually now. That said, 200mg isn't a big dose by any measure, and it'll still deliver decent lean gains. Plenty of guys on actual TRT manage with 50% of that and stay within normal range.

As for the OP: if you're not planning to push into the 400mg territory, I don't really see the point of adding test. You could go on TRT and end up with numbers lower than what you already have.
 
Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.

Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.
That’s TRT—we’re simply swapping in twice the testosterone we had at 18.
 
Gt3294a said:

Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.

Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.
That’s TRT—we’re simply swapping in twice the testosterone we had at 18.

Testosterone falls under the class of anabolic androgenic steroids.

That said, I seriously doubt my natural levels ever reached 1400+ng/dl at any point.
 
Vash_ said:

Gt3294a said:

Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.

Vash_ said:

bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Testosterone is a steroid.

I won’t claim everyone on it has low T. Still, plenty of folks throw around “TRT” without much precision.

For myself: 200mg test weekly, 4mg Reta weekly, and 2iu growth daily.

Over the past 4 weeks I’ve dropped 8lbs while adding some lean mass.

My T was low — 276ng/dl. That said, I absolutely don’t require 200mg just to sit in the “normal” range. It isn’t “blasting” by old-school standards, but it’s certainly not TRT either.
That’s TRT—we’re simply swapping in twice the testosterone we had at 18.

Testosterone falls under the class of anabolic androgenic steroids.

That said, I seriously doubt my natural levels ever reached 1400+ng/dl at any point.
Man, good thing I did my injection this morning, since you're absolutely nailing that positive vibe!
 
TRT isn't something I'd suggest, mainly because once you start, it's for life.

My own protocol is 125 mg weekly, which I got through a prescription because I genuinely have hypogonadism. Honestly, I'd trade places with you and take your natural numbers.

If you're set on trying something, a 12-week cycle followed by stopping is one route. HGH is another option that could add more muscle mass, though you'd need to weigh the possible side effects that come with it.
 
As previously mentioned, TRT isn't necessary for your situation.

Click to expand...

While you could opt for a 'blast' (doubling or tripling your testosterone levels), please proceed with extreme caution. It’s rarely 'just one cycle.' The 'Superman' feeling (rapid gains and lower body fat) is highly addictive and very difficult to walk away from.

Click to expand...
 
bayardtrustin said:

Appreciate the advice. I figure I'll just wait.
Given how old you are and what you're aiming for, maybe HGH is the smarter thing to add. For me it's been genuinely helpful — my sleep and recovery have improved a lot. My test is low, so I'm on trt, and adding HGH made a big difference.
 
bayardtrustin said:

Vash_ said:

You’d shut down your own production for no benefit. Genuine TRT would land you roughly at the level you already have. Otherwise, you could just run a steroid cycle. I take it you’re done having children by now.
Would it be accurate to claim that everyone using Test plus Reta plus Roids started out with low testosterone? I'm done having children!
Lots of people on TRT were almost certainly dealing with low testosterone to begin with. If that isn't the case, then you're looking at someone stacking multiple other compounds in a cycle. With your natural numbers, a benefit won't show up unless you push past TRT into full cycle territory.
 
miameow said:

bayardtrustin said:

Appreciate the advice. I figure I'll just wait.
Given how old you are and what you're aiming for, maybe HGH is the smarter thing to add. For me it's been genuinely helpful — my sleep and recovery have improved a lot. My test is low, so I'm on trt, and adding HGH made a big difference.

That's useful information. My H shows up on Monday.
 
Those numbers are great, particularly for someone in their 50's. If you're already sitting at what amounts to a solid cruise level, then any further testosterone benefit would mean running a blast cycle. Once that blast ends — or in the gap before the next one — you're left with 2 options: stay on test permanently just to maintain the level you already have, or put yourself through harsh PCT's in the hope that your natural production comes back up to where it currently sits. If trimming down a bit is the only thing you're after, that strikes me as overkill. Whether it's worth it is your call alone, but my suggestion would be to add Reta and HGH into the mix before you go the test route.
 
Simply use boron supplements, which reduce SHBG and thereby raise your free testosterone.
 
bayardtrustin said:

I’ve spent the last 2 months doing strength work with a personal trainer. I’m not chasing a bulk; what I want is to add definition without losing leanness.

Labs came back recently, and here’s what they show:

Testosterone: 865 ng/dL

SHBG: 90.6 nmol/L

Free Testosterone: 96.3 pg/mL

My understanding is that TRT generally substitutes for what your body makes on its own, so I’m hesitant — my total testosterone looks fairly high as it stands.

With those figures and the goals I have, is TRT even something worth looking into? Or is this a situation where the downsides would be bigger than any upside?

I’d like to hear from people who’ve been through this.

♂ M51 5’10’’ SW:280 CW:177 GW:150 BF:21.4 BFG:15 📚 St@ck: R6 Mon > Tirz7.5 Wed > R6 Fri
From what I gather, you're chasing a specific look. With BF sitting at 21%, the softer appearance isn't coming from too little muscle — it's the subcutaneous fat you're carrying right now. At that BF percent, even bigger muscles would read as soft instead of defined.

Sure, more testosterone might help trim body fat, but based on your labs, low testosterone doesn't look like the culprit behind what you're dealing with. And in your shoes, it definitely isn't the number I'd go after to bring body fat down.
 
Back
Top