Thoughts on sharing a vial with a spouse?

If each person draws from the vial with their own insulin syringe, there shouldn't be any major issues. But if you're using a reusable pen and only swapping out the pen needle, that does create a cross-contamination risk.
 
Appreciate everyone's (very thorough) input. I'd already landed on the same answer, but I figured it was worth running past the community in case there's something I overlooked or haven't thought through.

What appeals to me is having just 1 person handle drawing from the syringe, so I can make sure every step gets done each time (the alcohol swabs in particular), and honestly she likes that arrangement too.
 
We're in the same situation. I began at 0.5 mg ahead of her, drawing from a 5mg vial. These days I'm on 1mg, and she's at 1mg too after she quit Mounjaro. Our reasoning was that finishing the current vials made more sense than opening the second one right away. Naturally, we never reuse needles — each of us has our own, plus a fresh one is used every time bac water needs to be mixed in. After use, the needles go into a sharps container.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

bada bing said:

Cross exposure isn't a concern here, and nothing goes wrong. There are even a few upsides. Reconstituted vials get finished sooner, which helps with both degradation and sterility. And you can buy bigger vial sizes yet still use them within the suggested timeframe, bringing the cost per mg down.
Anyone who refuses to split a vial with their own husband or wife is, in my view, an insufferable clean-freak and ought to be sleeping out in the garage.... you two have already swapped fluids and in all likelihood have stuck a tongue, a finger or a dick up her rear, so relax....
I've always had a good feeling about you. 🤣 Or maybe this one fits better.💩
 
Those vials sure don’t last long! Since we inject on separate days, whenever my day rolls around I end up thinking: seriously, I’ve got to mix up yet another vial?!?
 
Marct209 said:

Those vials sure don’t last long! Since we inject on separate days, whenever my day rolls around I end up thinking: seriously, I’ve got to mix up yet another vial?!?
Tomorrow I've got 2 vials to reconstitute. I'll be mixing up 2 R60s. As for the smaller ones — R30s and the like — they disappear quickly, since each one holds slightly more than 3 doses when pinning 9mg.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

bada bing said:

Cross exposure isn't a concern here, and nothing goes wrong. There are even a few upsides. Reconstituted vials get finished sooner, which helps with both degradation and sterility. And you can buy bigger vial sizes yet still use them within the suggested timeframe, bringing the cost per mg down.
Anyone who refuses to split a vial with their own husband or wife is, in my view, an insufferable clean-freak and ought to be sleeping out in the garage.... you two have already swapped fluids and in all likelihood have stuck a tongue, a finger or a dick up her rear, so relax....
If there's a partner I can't stand and I want to vent about them to my mother or to somebody who'll never cross paths with them, I'll deploy the phrase "he should sleep in the garage." I keep cracking up over it and just can't quit.
 
There are 3 people in my household — my husband, my son and me — and we all draw from a single vial. On my own, a 60mg vial would sit around far longer than I'd like, but split 3 ways it works out well. I'm the one who prepares everyone's syringes, since neither of them wants to bother learning how to do it themselves.
 
eidos said:

A better route: get 2 pens, then divide them between 2 cartridges.

That way, you avoid the vibe of 2 addicts passing around one dose. Plus, there are plenty of other intriguing ways for a couple to feel close.
My husband and I use the same pen, and we swap the needle each time before use.
 
Marct209 said:

Those vials sure don’t last long! Since we inject on separate days, whenever my day rolls around I end up thinking: seriously, I’ve got to mix up yet another vial?!?
It's like reaching for the car and finding she didn't leave any petrol (gas) in the tank. 😒
 
My wife and friends get doses from me too. A fresh needle every time, and nothing has ever gone wrong. Friends receive doses from me regularly. That way my supply doesn't sit around. I'd hate for my wife or a buddy to end up ill. That's why I inject myself from each vial first, ahead of anybody else. Handing a fat friend a no-cost reta sample is the strongest way there is to turn them into a convert.
 
Selenium said:

My dog and I have used the same vial!

9f137d9c4ca4820185f2785f88260698e336cd31aa53ec657b633124a49528d1.gif
 
eidos said:

A better route: get 2 pens, then divide them between 2 cartridges.

That way, you avoid the vibe of 2 addicts passing around one dose. Plus, there are plenty of other intriguing ways for a couple to feel close.
That's the right approach.
 
Honestly, clinics routinely use the same botox vial for multiple unrelated patients — a lot of folks don't realize that. The real issue isn't whose body the product ends up in; it's the puncture count and whether proper sterile handling is followed.
 
Airborne Daddy said:

bada bing said:

Cross exposure isn't a concern here, and nothing goes wrong. There are even a few upsides. Reconstituted vials get finished sooner, which helps with both degradation and sterility. And you can buy bigger vial sizes yet still use them within the suggested timeframe, bringing the cost per mg down.
Anyone who refuses to split a vial with their own husband or wife is, in my view, an insufferable clean-freak and ought to be sleeping out in the garage.... you two have already swapped fluids and in all likelihood have stuck a tongue, a finger or a dick up her rear, so relax....
Yeah, that’s me. ✋🏼 In this marriage, I’m the one who’s the asshole. I’m a certified germophobe, though that isn’t what’s going on here—I’m perfectly capable of avoiding cross contamination. The simple truth is I just don’t want to share. 😑 Perhaps once I go grey and the cost matters less… no, forget it. What belongs to me stays mine. And get your fork off my plate.
 
I’m in the same boat. Picked up Reta 60 so the cost per person drops, and now both of us inject 8mg each week. That schedule also means we finish the vial before it goes bad. Even so, dose 4 doesn’t hit like dose 1 for me. Still, I’d rather deal with that than try to make it last an extra week or two.
 
PAPoots said:

I’m in the same boat. Picked up Reta 60 so the cost per person drops, and now both of us inject 8mg each week. That schedule also means we finish the vial before it goes bad. Even so, dose 4 doesn’t hit like dose 1 for me. Still, I’d rather deal with that than try to make it last an extra week or two.
With the R60, what volume of BAC are you using for reconstitution?
 
Back
Top