Testosterone Injection: Subcutaneous vs Intramuscular?

jason370

Explorer
Joined
Apr 2, 2026
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
Location
NY
A year back, I came across info saying IM was the superior way to administer. These days, though, I keep seeing claims that both are just as effective. Does anyone here have a well-grounded take on the optimal spot and technique for injecting testosterone?
 
jason370 said:

A year back, I came across info saying IM was the superior way to administer. These days, though, I keep seeing claims that both are just as effective. Does anyone here have a well-grounded take on the optimal spot and technique for injecting testosterone?
For oil-based compounds, my suggestion would be to go with IM administration.
 
When it comes to oils, IM is my choice. My TRT shots go into the ventral glute. I also use IM for glutathione, same spot, ventral glute. Tirzepatide, on the other hand, I inject sub q. Honestly, the sensation isn't all that different between the two.

Back when I began TRT, I was doing sub q injections, and I'd consistently end up with lumps that lingered for a day or two before fading.
 
A number of people who think they're pinning IM are actually hitting deep subq, and that's a third route worth considering:

Gemini said:


Testosterone Administration Comparison

FeatureShallow SubQDeep SubQIntramuscular (IM)Needle Length8mm – 12.7mm (5/16" – 1/2")16mm (5/8")25mm – 38mm (1" – 1.5")Modern Gauge29G – 31G26G – 28G25G – 27GAbsorption RateSlowest (Steady State)Moderate-SlowFastest (Higher Peaks)HCT (Hematocrit)Lower Risk of SpikesStable / ManagedHigher Risk (Peak-driven)Lipid ImpactMost FavorableNeutral / FavorableVariable (Peak-driven)CV StressMinimal (Lower E2/HCT)Low StressModerate (if peaks are high)ISRs (Reactions)High: Lumps/ItchingLow: Better dispersionRare: Muscle acheInjection SitesAbdomen, Love handlesVentroglute, ThighGlute, Deltoid, QuadVolume Limit~0.5 mL~0.75 mLUp to 3.0 mL

Click to expand...

To illustrate:

I started TRT+ with daily test prop injections. IM/shallow IM (depending on the injection site) with a 29/30g 1/2" insulin syringe. I had pip the first 1-2 weeks. After that, none to speak of. Whether a 1/2" insulin syringe is IM or SQ will depend on the injection location and an individual's body composition. Also with the narrow gauge needles, you will need to warm up the oil first. That may also then help reduce pip.

Click to expand...

As for me, IM has ended up being my main approach, because even going deep subq occasionally isn't sufficient to avoid the ISRs. That said, I never gave EOD or more frequent shots a shot, which would lower the volume per injection (and keep levels steadier).
 
I’ve been injecting subcutaneously 3 times a week for 3 months. The labs at 8 weeks came back great, though DHT remained on the low side.

So I raised my dose by 50% aiming to get DHT up by 50%… next month I’ll check. I’m pretty confident my hematocrit will mean I need to donate blood.
 
Over the years, I’ve given SubQ a shot several times. Can’t stand it. Lumps show up every time. Maybe it’s the carrier oil? No idea. With IM, though, I’ve never run into any problems.
 
I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
 
Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
 
With Test C, sub q left me with lumps and soreness.

For me, the best results come from IM shots into the quad (front pants pocket).
 
I've only ever used SubQ and it's been trouble-free. The idea is that it enters the bloodstream gradually, which should keep levels steadier. I split my dose into 2 shots per week, though doing it just 1 time weekly also worked fine for me. Since I'm using enanthate, I'm not sure whether that changes anything.
 
My testosterone enanthate has always been administered IM, and I aim for the outer middle section of the thigh muscle (Vastus Lateralis). This began 18 months back, following classic low-test signs and an official low-testosterone diagnosis. These days I undergo blood work every 6 months, with the clinic handling the review. I take 100mg weekly, divided as 50mg each 3.5 days (Tuesday morning and Friday evening).

This approach suits me; my testosterone has climbed from quite low to an optimal level, and I have no intention of switching to Sub-Q since the current method delivers results and is virtually without pain (I use a 1inch 25g needle).

As for peptides, I am just starting out, but so far I have only injected Sub-Q around the belly using an insulin needle. That tiny insulin needle is far less scary, no doubt, yet it seems too thin for pushing oil-based compounds through.
 
For low volumes (10-30 units), go subcutaneous. For larger amounts, use intramuscular. That approach has always served me well.
 
jandingus said:

For low volumes (10-30 units), go subcutaneous. For larger amounts, use intramuscular. That approach has always served me well.
I do the same thing. With 25 units injected 2x per week (which adds up to 125mg), I'll grab a slin pin and go into the delt. It ends up being mostly subq, though it might just barely nick the muscle. Back when I was using gso, this approach never worked for me, but once I switched to mct and warmed it up first, it goes in without any issue.
 
jason370 said:

Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
When I began TRT, I went with daily shots right away. My reasoning was that injecting more often keeps your levels steadier, which cuts down on issues like high hematocrit and E2. Before I started adjusting how often I inject, I wanted to see where my levels sat on a consistent schedule. Now I'm considering moving to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine to check what that does to my numbers.
 
Tbagger said:

jason370 said:

Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
When I began TRT, I went with daily shots right away. My reasoning was that injecting more often keeps your levels steadier, which cuts down on issues like high hematocrit and E2. Before I started adjusting how often I inject, I wanted to see where my levels sat on a consistent schedule. Now I'm considering moving to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine to check what that does to my numbers.
I might be carrying over some unpleasant recollections from way back when, during which we'd jab 22 gauge needles into the glute for injections (why we consistently opted for larger gauge needles back then, I can't say, yet that was the norm). Even knowing an insulin needle is an option, the idea of putting a test shot into my belly area still makes me feel like I'm going to faint.
 
Gt3294a said:

Tbagger said:

jason370 said:

Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
When I began TRT, I went with daily shots right away. My reasoning was that injecting more often keeps your levels steadier, which cuts down on issues like high hematocrit and E2. Before I started adjusting how often I inject, I wanted to see where my levels sat on a consistent schedule. Now I'm considering moving to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine to check what that does to my numbers.
I might be carrying over some unpleasant recollections from way back when, during which we'd jab 22 gauge needles into the glute for injections (why we consistently opted for larger gauge needles back then, I can't say, yet that was the norm). Even knowing an insulin needle is an option, the idea of putting a test shot into my belly area still makes me feel like I'm going to faint.
I only get test with an MCT carrier, which lets me use a 30g needle for IM injections. I'm a wimp and have no interest in jabbing myself with what amounts to a drinking straw, haha.
 
Tbagger said:

Gt3294a said:

Tbagger said:

jason370 said:

Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
When I began TRT, I went with daily shots right away. My reasoning was that injecting more often keeps your levels steadier, which cuts down on issues like high hematocrit and E2. Before I started adjusting how often I inject, I wanted to see where my levels sat on a consistent schedule. Now I'm considering moving to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine to check what that does to my numbers.
I might be carrying over some unpleasant recollections from way back when, during which we'd jab 22 gauge needles into the glute for injections (why we consistently opted for larger gauge needles back then, I can't say, yet that was the norm). Even knowing an insulin needle is an option, the idea of putting a test shot into my belly area still makes me feel like I'm going to faint.
I only get test with an MCT carrier, which lets me use a 30g needle for IM injections. I'm a wimp and have no interest in jabbing myself with what amounts to a drinking straw, haha.
that's the first time I've heard the drinking straw comparison 🤣
 
If you're pinning 2 times per week, I'd lean toward IM, since the amount is likely to land near the .5cc mark. The more often you're willing to inject, the less you need each time. At 3x per week or beyond, SubQ becomes a reasonable option if that suits you. Personally, I'm on test c at 3x per week, 200mg/ml, 20 units, which works out to 40mg per dose. I've been doing subQ into the belly using a 30g 1/2" insulin syringe. Right now I'm drawing grapeseed oil, and it takes a bit of time to pull it up, plus a little extra to push it in slowly. No lumps so far. My next script is cottonseed oil, so I'll find out how that behaves. I'll likely stick it in my pocket for around 30 minutes to warm it slightly, then draw and inject.
 
I place my grape seed oil in a small cup with warm water to heat it up. That way, using a 30 gauge for both drawing and injecting is no problem at all.

When I attempt IM, my thighs end up sore quite often—sometimes just occasionally, sometimes frequently. Years ago I assumed it was because of the 25ga needle, but this Monday I tried a 30 gauge and pushed it in as far as possible; by that evening I was walking oddly and the next day it was still sore.
 
Gt3294a said:

Tbagger said:

jason370 said:

Tbagger said:

I gave subq a shot for a few weeks, but ended up moving to IM. My protocol is daily test c in MCT oil, and subq left lumps that stuck around for roughly two weeks. Once the lumpiness got bad, IM became the only option. IM itself doesn't bother me, but I'm considering cutting back on how often I pin, since daily IM injections get old fast.
What makes daily the choice over once a week or twice a week?
When I began TRT, I went with daily shots right away. My reasoning was that injecting more often keeps your levels steadier, which cuts down on issues like high hematocrit and E2. Before I started adjusting how often I inject, I wanted to see where my levels sat on a consistent schedule. Now I'm considering moving to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday routine to check what that does to my numbers.
I might be carrying over some unpleasant recollections from way back when, during which we'd jab 22 gauge needles into the glute for injections (why we consistently opted for larger gauge needles back then, I can't say, yet that was the norm). Even knowing an insulin needle is an option, the idea of putting a test shot into my belly area still makes me feel like I'm going to faint.
The oil suspension forced us to use thicker needles; with thinner ones, the injection would drag on far longer. Even now, I inject test e using a 22
 
Back
Top