Stuck moving Greenlight prepaid funds to crypto for a vendor — any working methods?

MrZardoz

Explorer
Joined
Aug 28, 2025
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
Connecticut/Storrs
Hey everyone, looks like I'm sliding over to the dark side 🙂

I've got a Greenlight prepaid debit card sitting with money on it, and my aim is to convert it into crypto so I can pay vendors who take nothing but BTC/LTC. Every route I try hits a wall.

Direct crypto buys:

  • MoonPay: turned down (they don't accept prepaid cards)
  • Strike: "Invalid merchant" error
  • Coinbase through bank transfer: account got suspended
Bank transfers:

  • Ally Bank: transfers frozen (Greenlight is blocking external bank transfers)
App transfers:

  • CashApp: "Please try again later" after a 24hr security cooldown
  • Right now I'm waiting to give CashApp another shot tonight
What actually works:

  • The card is fine for normal purchases
  • Greenlight support claims only PayPal/Venmo/Apple Pay/CashApp are approved for transfers
  • Yet CashApp keeps saying no
My goal: move $70-80 out of Greenlight → into any crypto (BTC, LTC, doesn't matter) → into the vendor's wallet

Anyone here managed to buy crypto using Greenlight or a similar prepaid card? Any methods I haven't thought of?

Thanks!

MrZardoz
 
I gave a different prepaid visa a shot (the one from myprepaidcard . com), and I've also hit a wall trying to make it work for pep orders.

Went the direct paypal way — blocked. Tried alipay — blocked. Attempted using it as a debit card to purchase crypto — blocked too.

If anybody has figured out a workaround, I'd really like to know.
 
jjplantgeek said:

I gave a different prepaid visa a shot (the one from myprepaidcard . com), and I've also hit a wall trying to make it work for pep orders.

Went the direct paypal way — blocked. Tried alipay — blocked. Attempted using it as a debit card to purchase crypto — blocked too.

If anybody has figured out a workaround, I'd really like to know.
I might have moved the needle a bit - here's what I did: opened a Cash App account, then with the Greenlight debit card I sent roughly $73 over to Cash App. Once that went through and the funds were no longer tied to the prepaid card, I picked up BitCoin. At first I gave Exodus a shot, but it didn't impress me, so I switched to Blue Wallet, which is built specifically for BitCoin.

Over in Cash App I selected the 'free' transfer choice (that one takes 24 hours to complete), then copied and pasted the Blue Wallet BitCoin address I needed... now I'm just waiting to find out whether the whole chain works without a hitch - the hope being that Cash App -> Blue Wallet -> will let the reply from the crypto service 'X' actually get through. We'll find out.. plenty of approaches exist for getting this done (apologies to any cats 🙂
 
I have no experience with prepaid cards. My own method is moving money through PayPal into Exodus, and from there I purchase whichever crypto the vender wants. So far nothing has stopped me. My guess is that whatever problems come up trace back to limits Greenlight places on its side.
 
Back
Top