Struggling to inject: needle won't go in easily

Summer48

Explorer
Joined
Sep 21, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Location
United kingdom
Hello everyone. I’ve just taken my 4th injection of grey 60 using a Mounjaro pen. For the grey doses, I use BD micro-fine plus 30mm 30g 8mm — first to draw from the vial, then to inject myself. The problem is that getting it through the skin is hard; it resists, and although it finally goes in, it takes some forceful pushing and hurts a little, though there’s no bruising. What could I be doing incorrectly? I’ve attached a picture of the needles.
 
Switching spots—certain spots, usually the lower belly, give me trouble penetrating, yet love handles, for instance, offer no resistance at all.
 
Ryanking11 said:

Switching spots—certain spots, usually the lower belly, give me trouble penetrating, yet love handles, for instance, offer no resistance at all.
I've experimented with various spots, but the outcome is identical every time!! This never occurred when I used Mounjaro pens or the needles for extracting the 5th dose
 
Is it a jab or a poke you're doing? When I poke, I occasionally manage to push the skin in a pretty noticeable way.
 
woundcarping said:

Is it a jab or a poke you're doing? When I poke, I occasionally manage to push the skin in a pretty noticeable way.
Last time, I saw that happen with my wife.
 
When the needle moves slowly, it hurts more. If you're pausing with the needle touching your skin, worrying that it won't penetrate, that's not a jab. A swift, decisive motion works better.
 
The issue isn't with you—it's the needles themselves.

As a nurse, I've handled plenty of needles, and the single box of BD needles I purchased were by far the bluntest I've ever used. Puncturing my skin was a struggle, just as you experienced, and they also had burrs that would snag while I continued pushing them in.

If a reusable pen is an option for you, its needles stay extremely sharp since they never dull by piercing a vial beforehand.
 
What I've found is that there's a huge gap between resting the needle against the skin and attempting to push it through, versus keeping it slightly away and darting it in — the second approach works WAY better, in my case anyway.
 
cheaperseeker said:

The issue isn't with you—it's the needles themselves.

As a nurse, I've handled plenty of needles, and the single box of BD needles I purchased were by far the bluntest I've ever used. Puncturing my skin was a struggle, just as you experienced, and they also had burrs that would snag while I continued pushing them in.

If a reusable pen is an option for you, its needles stay extremely sharp since they never dull by piercing a vial beforehand.
So it wasn't just me—I have several different kinds and this has never happened before. Since I have pens, I'll switch to those instead
 
When I began, I ran into the same issue: I was grabbing a fold of fat and turning the needle as I pushed it in. These days, I locate a spot with plenty of fat, stretch it out until it lies flat, and the needle slides in far more smoothly. If pressing the needle causes any discomfort, I simply shift to a different nearby location. Hopefully this is useful.
 
cheaperseeker said:

The issue isn't with you—it's the needles themselves.

As a nurse, I've handled plenty of needles, and the single box of BD needles I purchased were by far the bluntest I've ever used. Puncturing my skin was a struggle, just as you experienced, and they also had burrs that would snag while I continued pushing them in.

If a reusable pen is an option for you, its needles stay extremely sharp since they never dull by piercing a vial beforehand.
That's curious. The BD syringes I picked up 2 months back feel just as sharp as the Easy Touch ones. Both are 31g 8mm.
 
The Owen Mumford Autoject 2 is a solid option as well.

In case anyone isn't familiar with it: a spring drives the mechanism, so you load the syringe, press the button, and the device delivers the needle and the fluid on its own, using the right pressure and speed. Depth of injection is adjustable too.

Usually there's barely any sensation. At most you might notice slight pressure, but stinging never happens (I only inject into the thigh, never the stomach; Braun fixed needle 8mm 30g is what I use)





33ec7e32cc2a437bed29146e9be0ecadbe1d955a7fb7edda3e22a2b8cc1a6f11.webp
 
BNLFL said:

cheaperseeker said:

The issue isn't with you—it's the needles themselves.

As a nurse, I've handled plenty of needles, and the single box of BD needles I purchased were by far the bluntest I've ever used. Puncturing my skin was a struggle, just as you experienced, and they also had burrs that would snag while I continued pushing them in.

If a reusable pen is an option for you, its needles stay extremely sharp since they never dull by piercing a vial beforehand.
That's curious. The BD syringes I picked up 2 months back feel just as sharp as the Easy Touch ones. Both are 31g 8mm.

A couple of others have mentioned that these work best for them. So perhaps results vary from one case to another.
 
cheaperseeker said:

BNLFL said:

cheaperseeker said:

The issue isn't with you—it's the needles themselves.

As a nurse, I've handled plenty of needles, and the single box of BD needles I purchased were by far the bluntest I've ever used. Puncturing my skin was a struggle, just as you experienced, and they also had burrs that would snag while I continued pushing them in.

If a reusable pen is an option for you, its needles stay extremely sharp since they never dull by piercing a vial beforehand.
That's curious. The BD syringes I picked up 2 months back feel just as sharp as the Easy Touch ones. Both are 31g 8mm.

A couple of others have mentioned that these work best for them. So perhaps results vary from one case to another.
No idea. Somebody said an Amazon no-name brand felt sharp. The 30 I picked up to test felt like using one of those meat syringes from the kitchen. I figure these will get used for venting and refilling once filtering is done. Pulling the plunger, clearly.
 
Another thing to watch for: you might be dulling the needle when it strikes the rubber edges within the vial's cap. It doesn't dull it too severely, but I can notice it when I hit it by mistake.
 
GusGustavson said:

The Owen Mumford Autoject 2 is a solid option as well.

In case anyone isn't familiar with it: a spring drives the mechanism, so you load the syringe, press the button, and the device delivers the needle and the fluid on its own, using the right pressure and speed. Depth of injection is adjustable too.

Usually there's barely any sensation. At most you might notice slight pressure, but stinging never happens (I only inject into the thigh, never the stomach; Braun fixed needle 8mm 30g is what I use)





View attachment 11745
If needles are something you truly dread—or even just dislike—this seems like a solid option. Otherwise, it just adds needless complexity. For my daily doses below 50 units, I've moved over to pens lately, and I really appreciate how straightforward they are.
 
I believe this trick is limited to pens, and it might only apply to me. Lately I've realized that with my (v1) pens, I've fallen into a routine where I don't press, stab, or jab at all. Instead, I simply let the pen sit in my hand — I don't even curl my fingers around it, just keep my hand loosely cupped so it won't roll away. After that, I touch the needle to my skin, and with the pen just resting on my palm, I shift my palm about 0.8cmish to slide the needle in.

I've discovered that regardless of where I inject, doing it this way means I feel absolutely nothing from the needle. I haven't given it a go on my butt, since I doubt I could manage the right angle there, but for the lower abdomen, love handle, or any spot on my stomach, there's simply no sensation at all.
 
When moving the contents of a vial, I strongly recommend filtering them into a sterile vial that has a self healing cap. Compared with the caps peptides typically arrive in, which use denser rubber, these caps are thinner and built to withstand repeated use.

A 31G needle has no trouble going through both a self healing cap and your skin.

Even better would be putting it into a sterile insulin pen cartridge. Pen needles do the job nicely and there is no need to pierce anything beforehand.

Since I dropped a lot of belly fat, I have found that the skin in that area feels almost rubbery.

I apply topical lidocaine and probe around until I locate a spot that works. (I am someone who avoids pain and is quite sensitive.)
 
This thread showed up at a great moment. I’d been searching for the same kind of guidance.

Whether it’s the needles, the GHK-cu, or some other factor, I can’t tell—but my skin no longer seems to allow needles through easily. Even when I pinch, the needle tip just presses the skin downward.

Lately I’ve been preparing a larger area and probing a bit to find a decent spot. Still, I’m going to test a quick jab instead and see whether that helps.

I may also look into switching from 30g to 31g, though pushing 20 units through the 30g is already extremely slow.
 
Back
Top