I just finished watching an in-depth conversation between Derek Decoded and Peter Magic, the founder of Janoshik. They cover a lot of ground on peptide testing and analysis. If the science and behind-the-scenes logistics of peptide testing interest you even slightly, I can't recommend this one enough—it's genuinely great.
What really caught my attention was their back-and-forth about bacteriostatic water versus sterile water for injection. Some background: I'm brand new to peptides, but I work in healthcare, where mixing up (often) IV drugs is occasionally part of my job, and definitely a routine nursing task. Until I got into peptides, I'd never even come across bacteriostatic water. I recently checked thoroughly at work to see if we had any on the wards or in theatre—nothing. Only sterile water for injection and sterile saline were on hand.
Here are some of the main points Peter raises in the video:
Obviously good technique matters, but I'd say it's honestly not difficult to nail down with a few YouTube tutorials readily available. Sure, even with perfect technique there are always ways bacteria could get introduced—like a needle being exposed to air. But at least in healthcare, from what I've seen, that isn't treated as a major clinical concern. We're certainly not achieving perfect sterility with a laminar flow hood when we reconstitute medications that go straight into the bloodstream.
No question, when everything goes right, BAC water adds a safety cushion for someone with careless technique or who decides to reuse needles (please don't do that). That said, we've also seen plenty of downsides with different BAC waters—cloudiness, gelling that needs various workarounds. Not to mention the climbing price of the 'gold standard' BAC like Hospira, and the question of how much peptides degrade once reconstituted. Again, Janoshik uses pure water for their testing—so how much more are we degrading our peptides with BAC for personal use? And how accurate are these Chinese BACs when it comes to Benzyl Alcohol percentage?
Sure, how long you keep using a reconstituted vial would matter given repeated access, but nobody's using a vial for 8-12 years, and surely Peter wasn't using top-tier technique to get water out for cleaning contact lenses, right?
Just something to think about. I'd love to hear what others think on BAC vs SWI—pros, cons, and where you stand. Also curious if there are any documented cases of actual bacterial growth in old reconstituted peptides.
I'll be switching to SWI from here on out and will update this thread with any sepsis episodes
What really caught my attention was their back-and-forth about bacteriostatic water versus sterile water for injection. Some background: I'm brand new to peptides, but I work in healthcare, where mixing up (often) IV drugs is occasionally part of my job, and definitely a routine nursing task. Until I got into peptides, I'd never even come across bacteriostatic water. I recently checked thoroughly at work to see if we had any on the wards or in theatre—nothing. Only sterile water for injection and sterile saline were on hand.
Here are some of the main points Peter raises in the video:
- For reconstituting peptides they test, Janoshik uses sterile water. According to him, it's pretty much on par with sterile water for injection (SWI) and isn't some distinct 'high-level' pharmaceutical-grade water.
- Getting BAC water in the EU is extremely difficult. When they explored it in past years, the drawbacks—degradation, local reactions—ended up outweighing any benefits.
- Peter has had a 100ml multi-use sterile water container sitting around for 8-12 years, occasionally used as contact lens solution for his wife (lol), and when he re-tested it this year it was still sterile.
- His view is that if you use a sterile needle with solid technique into a sealable container, there's no way for bacteria to get in.
- And even if a tiny bit of bacteria did get in, there's no nutrients present for it to multiply.
- Chinese BAC water often has NO benzyl alcohol at all, fails sterility, and the benzyl alcohol percentage varies wildly.
Obviously good technique matters, but I'd say it's honestly not difficult to nail down with a few YouTube tutorials readily available. Sure, even with perfect technique there are always ways bacteria could get introduced—like a needle being exposed to air. But at least in healthcare, from what I've seen, that isn't treated as a major clinical concern. We're certainly not achieving perfect sterility with a laminar flow hood when we reconstitute medications that go straight into the bloodstream.
No question, when everything goes right, BAC water adds a safety cushion for someone with careless technique or who decides to reuse needles (please don't do that). That said, we've also seen plenty of downsides with different BAC waters—cloudiness, gelling that needs various workarounds. Not to mention the climbing price of the 'gold standard' BAC like Hospira, and the question of how much peptides degrade once reconstituted. Again, Janoshik uses pure water for their testing—so how much more are we degrading our peptides with BAC for personal use? And how accurate are these Chinese BACs when it comes to Benzyl Alcohol percentage?
Sure, how long you keep using a reconstituted vial would matter given repeated access, but nobody's using a vial for 8-12 years, and surely Peter wasn't using top-tier technique to get water out for cleaning contact lenses, right?
Just something to think about. I'd love to hear what others think on BAC vs SWI—pros, cons, and where you stand. Also curious if there are any documented cases of actual bacterial growth in old reconstituted peptides.
I'll be switching to SWI from here on out and will update this thread with any sepsis episodes