Sterile Water vs BAC: Is Bacteriostatic Water Really Needed?

Lear00

Explorer
Joined
Mar 18, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
Location
Australia
I just finished watching an in-depth conversation between Derek Decoded and Peter Magic, the founder of Janoshik. They cover a lot of ground on peptide testing and analysis. If the science and behind-the-scenes logistics of peptide testing interest you even slightly, I can't recommend this one enough—it's genuinely great.

What really caught my attention was their back-and-forth about bacteriostatic water versus sterile water for injection. Some background: I'm brand new to peptides, but I work in healthcare, where mixing up (often) IV drugs is occasionally part of my job, and definitely a routine nursing task. Until I got into peptides, I'd never even come across bacteriostatic water. I recently checked thoroughly at work to see if we had any on the wards or in theatre—nothing. Only sterile water for injection and sterile saline were on hand.

Here are some of the main points Peter raises in the video:

  • For reconstituting peptides they test, Janoshik uses sterile water. According to him, it's pretty much on par with sterile water for injection (SWI) and isn't some distinct 'high-level' pharmaceutical-grade water.
  • Getting BAC water in the EU is extremely difficult. When they explored it in past years, the drawbacks—degradation, local reactions—ended up outweighing any benefits.
  • Peter has had a 100ml multi-use sterile water container sitting around for 8-12 years, occasionally used as contact lens solution for his wife (lol), and when he re-tested it this year it was still sterile.
  • His view is that if you use a sterile needle with solid technique into a sealable container, there's no way for bacteria to get in.
  • And even if a tiny bit of bacteria did get in, there's no nutrients present for it to multiply.
  • Chinese BAC water often has NO benzyl alcohol at all, fails sterility, and the benzyl alcohol percentage varies wildly.

Obviously good technique matters, but I'd say it's honestly not difficult to nail down with a few YouTube tutorials readily available. Sure, even with perfect technique there are always ways bacteria could get introduced—like a needle being exposed to air. But at least in healthcare, from what I've seen, that isn't treated as a major clinical concern. We're certainly not achieving perfect sterility with a laminar flow hood when we reconstitute medications that go straight into the bloodstream.

No question, when everything goes right, BAC water adds a safety cushion for someone with careless technique or who decides to reuse needles (please don't do that). That said, we've also seen plenty of downsides with different BAC waters—cloudiness, gelling that needs various workarounds. Not to mention the climbing price of the 'gold standard' BAC like Hospira, and the question of how much peptides degrade once reconstituted. Again, Janoshik uses pure water for their testing—so how much more are we degrading our peptides with BAC for personal use? And how accurate are these Chinese BACs when it comes to Benzyl Alcohol percentage?

Sure, how long you keep using a reconstituted vial would matter given repeated access, but nobody's using a vial for 8-12 years, and surely Peter wasn't using top-tier technique to get water out for cleaning contact lenses, right?

Just something to think about. I'd love to hear what others think on BAC vs SWI—pros, cons, and where you stand. Also curious if there are any documented cases of actual bacterial growth in old reconstituted peptides.

I'll be switching to SWI from here on out and will update this thread with any sepsis episodes 😀
 
He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
 
Lear00 said:

I just finished watching an in-depth conversation between Derek Decoded and Peter Magic, the founder of Janoshik. They cover a lot of ground on peptide testing and analysis. If the science and behind-the-scenes logistics of peptide testing interest you even slightly, I can't recommend this one enough—it's genuinely great.

What really caught my attention was their back-and-forth about bacteriostatic water versus sterile water for injection. Some background: I'm brand new to peptides, but I work in healthcare, where mixing up (often) IV drugs is occasionally part of my job, and definitely a routine nursing task. Until I got into peptides, I'd never even come across bacteriostatic water. I recently checked thoroughly at work to see if we had any on the wards or in theatre—nothing. Only sterile water for injection and sterile saline were on hand.

Here are some of the main points Peter raises in the video:

  • For reconstituting peptides they test, Janoshik uses sterile water. According to him, it's pretty much on par with sterile water for injection (SWI) and isn't some distinct 'high-level' pharmaceutical-grade water.
  • Getting BAC water in the EU is extremely difficult. When they explored it in past years, the drawbacks—degradation, local reactions—ended up outweighing any benefits.
  • Peter has had a 100ml multi-use sterile water container sitting around for 8-12 years, occasionally used as contact lens solution for his wife (lol), and when he re-tested it this year it was still sterile.
  • His view is that if you use a sterile needle with solid technique into a sealable container, there's no way for bacteria to get in.
  • And even if a tiny bit of bacteria did get in, there's no nutrients present for it to multiply.
  • Chinese BAC water often has NO benzyl alcohol at all, fails sterility, and the benzyl alcohol percentage varies wildly.

Obviously good technique matters, but I'd say it's honestly not difficult to nail down with a few YouTube tutorials readily available. Sure, even with perfect technique there are always ways bacteria could get introduced—like a needle being exposed to air. But at least in healthcare, from what I've seen, that isn't treated as a major clinical concern. We're certainly not achieving perfect sterility with a laminar flow hood when we reconstitute medications that go straight into the bloodstream.

No question, when everything goes right, BAC water adds a safety cushion for someone with careless technique or who decides to reuse needles (please don't do that). That said, we've also seen plenty of downsides with different BAC waters—cloudiness, gelling that needs various workarounds. Not to mention the climbing price of the 'gold standard' BAC like Hospira, and the question of how much peptides degrade once reconstituted. Again, Janoshik uses pure water for their testing—so how much more are we degrading our peptides with BAC for personal use? And how accurate are these Chinese BACs when it comes to Benzyl Alcohol percentage?

Sure, how long you keep using a reconstituted vial would matter given repeated access, but nobody's using a vial for 8-12 years, and surely Peter wasn't using top-tier technique to get water out for cleaning contact lenses, right?

Just something to think about. I'd love to hear what others think on BAC vs SWI—pros, cons, and where you stand. Also curious if there are any documented cases of actual bacterial growth in old reconstituted peptides.

I'll be switching to SWI from here on out and will update this thread with any sepsis episodes 😀
When it comes to peptide degradation testing, the majority have moved over to bac water, since in certain tests (though not every one), the presence of bacteria resulted in greater peptide mass losses compared with bac water. These tests span 30 to 90 days.

The "downsides" you mention regarding bac water are not actually caused by bac water at all — they stem from whoever manufactured the peptide you purchased. Cloudy peptides are commonly refunded by vendors.
 
5byfive said:

He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
He mentioned that the 28-day figure is mainly to cover himself legally, given his background in the medical field.
 
CNCCurrency said:

5byfive said:

He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
He mentioned that the 28-day figure is mainly to cover himself legally, given his background in the medical field.
I paid attention for that part, and from how he phrased it, I take it as a strong endorsement of that point, not merely a legal shield. Naturally, you can read it your own way.
 
5byfive said:

CNCCurrency said:

5byfive said:

He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
He mentioned that the 28-day figure is mainly to cover himself legally, given his background in the medical field.
I paid attention for that part, and from how he phrased it, I take it as a strong endorsement of that point, not merely a legal shield. Naturally, you can read it your own way.
I think I came across a different interview in which he mentioned it. Not the one referenced above
 
trojanpeptide said:

Is benzyl alcohol really unavailable over in Europe?
Indeed, obtaining pharmaceutical-grade BA isn't straightforward. However, BA is readily available for purchase.
 
Appreciate the info, that's helpful to hear. My aseptic technique is pretty sloppy and I've mostly stopped using alcohol wipes at this point, but after reading this I'm a lot more comfortable picking up a bottle of benzyl alcohol and putting a drop into SWFI (or 0.3 mL per 30 mL SWFI if you're being precise).
 
CNCCurrency said:

5byfive said:

He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
He mentioned that the 28-day figure is mainly to cover himself legally, given his background in the medical field.

I read it the same way. After bringing up the 10-year-old sterile water that was retested and still sterile at @30:00, he also tosses in a “People can take whatever they want from this information” with a little laugh 😂. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but it feels like he's hinting that sterile water is acceptable, yet won't come out and state it because of liability.

nambo said:

Appreciate the info, that's helpful to hear. My aseptic technique is pretty sloppy and I've mostly stopped using alcohol wipes at this point, but after reading this I'm a lot more comfortable picking up a bottle of benzyl alcohol and putting a drop into SWFI (or 0.3 mL per 30 mL SWFI if you're being precise).

I'd never call myself an expert, but to me it stands to reason that the danger of an injection site infection is much greater when you skip the alcohol wipe on your skin than when you skip BAC water. With the former, you're essentially pushing ordinary skin flora through your first line of defense (the skin) with a needle. What lives harmlessly on the surface can turn into an opportunistic infection once it's in otherwise sterile subcutaneous tissue - no matter how sterile the vial was to begin with.
 
For me, BAC water plus filtration is one way I can cut down the odds of becoming ill. Perhaps nothing would happen without them, but since I'm paying much less by buying product that isn't certified sterile, spending the extra money and time still makes sense to me.
 
Lear00 said:

CNCCurrency said:

5byfive said:

He wasn't convinced BAC water was necessary, yet he was quite insistent about the 28 day limit. To me, those 2 things go together. If you accept his stance on 1 point while rejecting the other, are his recommendations actually guiding you, or are you just selecting what fits what you already think? Personally, I won't throw something out once 28 days pass, so BAC feels like a bit of extra protection.
He mentioned that the 28-day figure is mainly to cover himself legally, given his background in the medical field.

I read it the same way. After bringing up the 10-year-old sterile water that was retested and still sterile at @30:00, he also tosses in a “People can take whatever they want from this information” with a little laugh 😂. Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but it feels like he's hinting that sterile water is acceptable, yet won't come out and state it because of liability.

nambo said:

Appreciate the info, that's helpful to hear. My aseptic technique is pretty sloppy and I've mostly stopped using alcohol wipes at this point, but after reading this I'm a lot more comfortable picking up a bottle of benzyl alcohol and putting a drop into SWFI (or 0.3 mL per 30 mL SWFI if you're being precise).

I'd never call myself an expert, but to me it stands to reason that the danger of an injection site infection is much greater when you skip the alcohol wipe on your skin than when you skip BAC water. With the former, you're essentially pushing ordinary skin flora through your first line of defense (the skin) with a needle. What lives harmlessly on the surface can turn into an opportunistic infection once it's in otherwise sterile subcutaneous tissue - no matter how sterile the vial was to begin with.
1000% agreed. Years ago, I wouldn't have given alcohol wipes a second thought. These days, though, I've witnessed firsthand the reason they matter.

My mother had diabetes, and when she used her insulin pens, she skipped swabbing her skin with alcohol. Later, she developed lung cancer and underwent very aggressive chemo. Within 2 weeks, she was hospitalized with severe sepsis. She never truly came back from that.

So even if my alcohol wipes run out and I have to pour alcohol onto a paper towel to clean my skin, that still beats doing nothing. As far as I know, my immune system is strong, but I am NOT gambling on it.
 
Back
Top