Running and Tirzepatide: Energy Dips on Injection Days?

Joined
May 7, 2026
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Location
WV
Any runners here who are also on tirzepatide? My dosing is split: 3.5mg on Tuesday at 8am, then 3.5mg Friday at 8pm. My weekly routine includes weight training on mon/thu (twice), yoga on wed/sat (twice), and running on sun/tues/fri (three times). I'm following “couch to 5k” and right now my intervals are 4minute run/2.5 minute walk. What's tripping me up is my Tuesday evening run—I'm completely drained and can't hold the correct pace. Has anyone else struggled with exercise, especially cardio, on the days they take their shot?

35 y/o female, SW: 240, CW: 213
 
On Tirz this is typical, particularly when you aren't taking in enough water or electrolytes. Yet even with perfect habits, it remains a very frequently seen side effect.

Since a calorie deficit raises your injury risk, be cautious about running. As a precaution, you could look into adding BPC157 — it worked for me.

For energy and endurance, mots-c may come up as a suggestion, though I have no personal experience with it.
 
Pin&Play said:

On Tirz this is typical, particularly when you aren't taking in enough water or electrolytes. Yet even with perfect habits, it remains a very frequently seen side effect.

Since a calorie deficit raises your injury risk, be cautious about running. As a precaution, you could look into adding BPC157 — it worked for me.

For energy and endurance, mots-c may come up as a suggestion, though I have no personal experience with it.
Appreciate that—nice to hear someone else deals with the same thing. Stacking isn't something I've done yet, though I've got BPC 157 capsules that you swallow. Would those be enough, in your opinion?
 
I wouldn't call myself "a runner" by any means, but running is something I genuinely like. On one of my workout days, I aim to complete a 2 mile run, and yesterday happened to be day 1 of my reta injection. My pace was SLOWWWWWWWWWW.
 
As the name Slogger implies, running is part of my routine, and I inject tirz every 6 days. 4 days a week I head out for a bit more than an hour. Up to now, my runs haven't been impacted by the shots. That said, I take NAD+ before every run, and it genuinely helps. One thing worth looking into - oral NAD isn't something I've tested, but I've heard it does the job as well. Great to find other runners in this community!
 
While using Tirz, my cardio took a real hit. Moving over to reta improved things somewhat. What I found was that I had to approach it as though my fitness level was lower than it actually was. Getting back to longer runs required a gradual approach.

My starting point was 4x400m intervals, with 3-5 min of rest in between each lap, after which I either tacked on one more set or bumped it up to 800m. Once a week I included a zone 2 long run measured by time. Those began at 20 minutes and I built them up to 50 minutes.

Reaching a decent pace took some time, but I managed it. You can do this too!
 
I'm not a big runner—only 1.5 to 2 miles daily, ever since I was diagnosed with diabetes. It's something I'm trying to outrun.

When I first began trizepatide, I did feel somewhat more sluggish. But once the initial 5 pounds came off, my body adapted and actually did better than it had before that first dose. As I've continued losing weight, recovery has gotten quicker, even while my dosage was going up. These days I have to cover more distance to get the same cardio benefit I got when I first started trizepatide.
 
A tip worth remembering while you follow your C25K plan... Keep your weekly running volume (distance/pace/time) from rising by over 10%. Before moving to Reta, I dropped quite a bit of weight on Tirz. That sluggish sensation is tough to push through in the beginning. Building and maintaining an exercise routine makes sticking with it progressively simpler.

Beyond that, dropping close to 30 pounds so far is impressive! You're probably already noticing physical improvements as you train. It will continue as you shed more fat and build more muscle. Stay with it, you're doing great!
 
xgirlmama said:

I wouldn't call myself "a runner" by any means, but running is something I genuinely like. On one of my workout days, I aim to complete a 2 mile run, and yesterday happened to be day 1 of my reta injection. My pace was SLOWWWWWWWWWW.
Is the slowdown something you see when lifting weights, or does it only show up with cardio?
 
CharmanderInDisguise said:

While using Tirz, my cardio took a real hit. Moving over to reta improved things somewhat. What I found was that I had to approach it as though my fitness level was lower than it actually was. Getting back to longer runs required a gradual approach.

My starting point was 4x400m intervals, with 3-5 min of rest in between each lap, after which I either tacked on one more set or bumped it up to 800m. Once a week I included a zone 2 long run measured by time. Those began at 20 minutes and I built them up to 50 minutes.

Reaching a decent pace took some time, but I managed it. You can do this too!
Was it only cardio where you noticed the difficulty, or did weight lifting feel tough too?
 
CharmanderInDisguise said:

A tip worth remembering while you follow your C25K plan... Keep your weekly running volume (distance/pace/time) from rising by over 10%. Before moving to Reta, I dropped quite a bit of weight on Tirz. That sluggish sensation is tough to push through in the beginning. Building and maintaining an exercise routine makes sticking with it progressively simpler.

Beyond that, dropping close to 30 pounds so far is impressive! You're probably already noticing physical improvements as you train. It will continue as you shed more fat and build more muscle. Stay with it, you're doing great!
Appreciate it! That means a lot! The running plan has me in week 6 right now. But I’ve been stretching each week out to two, meaning week 1 gets two weeks, week 2 gets two weeks, and so on. Because of that, it hasn’t felt too rough.
 
UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

While using Tirz, my cardio took a real hit. Moving over to reta improved things somewhat. What I found was that I had to approach it as though my fitness level was lower than it actually was. Getting back to longer runs required a gradual approach.

My starting point was 4x400m intervals, with 3-5 min of rest in between each lap, after which I either tacked on one more set or bumped it up to 800m. Once a week I included a zone 2 long run measured by time. Those began at 20 minutes and I built them up to 50 minutes.

Reaching a decent pace took some time, but I managed it. You can do this too!
Was it only cardio where you noticed the difficulty, or did weight lifting feel tough too?
The main difficulty was cardio. Lifting weights didn't feel any more strenuous than usual. When I'm on my bike, I go for roughly 30-45 minutes per session; when running, I focus on distance, pace, or time.

UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

CharmanderInDisguise said:

A tip worth remembering while you follow your C25K plan... Keep your weekly running volume (distance/pace/time) from rising by over 10%. Before moving to Reta, I dropped quite a bit of weight on Tirz. That sluggish sensation is tough to push through in the beginning. Building and maintaining an exercise routine makes sticking with it progressively simpler.

Beyond that, dropping close to 30 pounds so far is impressive! You're probably already noticing physical improvements as you train. It will continue as you shed more fat and build more muscle. Stay with it, you're doing great!
Appreciate it! That means a lot! The running plan has me in week 6 right now. But I’ve been stretching each week out to two, meaning week 1 gets two weeks, week 2 gets two weeks, and so on. Because of that, it hasn’t felt too rough.
That seems like a really good method for gradually getting into running!
 
i've been taking tirz for 4 months now, and it happens to land on the day i do pure cardio (3-4 miles outside since the weather's improving). lately i haven't had any issues, though during that first month or so i definitely felt exercising was tougher on shot day.

did you follow this same routine before you began tirz? looking at your splits, tuesday seems like it'd be rough no matter what—running sunday, lifting monday, then running again tues. personally, i also think evening cardio is harder than morning cardio after a whole day of work. if your overall progress doesn't seem off, i'd probably not read too much into it. my friday lifts are consistently bad since i'm exhausted by the end of the work week, so i just take it a bit easier on myself, accepting it'll be a grind.

couch to 5k is a fantastic program. it helped me start running again after a back injury in my 30s. i suggest it to anyone looking to begin (or return to) running. good luck and keep at it!
 
I've been using Tirz for 1.5 years, and last month I started adding Cagri and Reta. Running and cardio have been problem-free for me on all of them.
 
fatjacked said:

i've been taking tirz for 4 months now, and it happens to land on the day i do pure cardio (3-4 miles outside since the weather's improving). lately i haven't had any issues, though during that first month or so i definitely felt exercising was tougher on shot day.

did you follow this same routine before you began tirz? looking at your splits, tuesday seems like it'd be rough no matter what—running sunday, lifting monday, then running again tues. personally, i also think evening cardio is harder than morning cardio after a whole day of work. if your overall progress doesn't seem off, i'd probably not read too much into it. my friday lifts are consistently bad since i'm exhausted by the end of the work week, so i just take it a bit easier on myself, accepting it'll be a grind.

couch to 5k is a fantastic program. it helped me start running again after a back injury in my 30s. i suggest it to anyone looking to begin (or return to) running. good luck and keep at it!
Before starting Tirz, exercise wasn't part of my routine at all. Still, I reached the conclusion that going grey meant I ought to put in maximum effort toward my goal. It wouldn't add up to take the grey route while refusing to fix my diet and work out. Is that logical to you?
 
UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

Any runners here who are also on tirzepatide? My dosing is split: 3.5mg on Tuesday at 8am, then 3.5mg Friday at 8pm. My weekly routine includes weight training on mon/thu (twice), yoga on wed/sat (twice), and running on sun/tues/fri (three times). I'm following “couch to 5k” and right now my intervals are 4minute run/2.5 minute walk. What's tripping me up is my Tuesday evening run—I'm completely drained and can't hold the correct pace. Has anyone else struggled with exercise, especially cardio, on the days they take their shot?

35 y/o female, SW: 240, CW: 213
What's your motivation for running — is it for cardiovascular fitness or for burning calories? If it's the former, consider timing your carbs around your runs: have some before you head out for energy, and make sure to eat a good amount afterward to aid recovery. If it's the latter, I'd lean toward focusing on getting more steps in instead, so you don't wear yourself down too much while dieting (recovery tends to suffer when you're in a deficit). If you're after both, then honestly I'd just take in carbs before running.
 
UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

fatjacked said:

i've been taking tirz for 4 months now, and it happens to land on the day i do pure cardio (3-4 miles outside since the weather's improving). lately i haven't had any issues, though during that first month or so i definitely felt exercising was tougher on shot day.

did you follow this same routine before you began tirz? looking at your splits, tuesday seems like it'd be rough no matter what—running sunday, lifting monday, then running again tues. personally, i also think evening cardio is harder than morning cardio after a whole day of work. if your overall progress doesn't seem off, i'd probably not read too much into it. my friday lifts are consistently bad since i'm exhausted by the end of the work week, so i just take it a bit easier on myself, accepting it'll be a grind.

couch to 5k is a fantastic program. it helped me start running again after a back injury in my 30s. i suggest it to anyone looking to begin (or return to) running. good luck and keep at it!
Before starting Tirz, exercise wasn't part of my routine at all. Still, I reached the conclusion that going grey meant I ought to put in maximum effort toward my goal. It wouldn't add up to take the grey route while refusing to fix my diet and work out. Is that logical to you?

I get exactly where you're coming from. Jumping from no exercise at all to being active close to 7 days a week is a huge shift. The way I see it, the sheer amount of training you're doing, plus where that tuesday run falls in your schedule, might explain the tiredness just as much as the injection does. If things are otherwise going well and you're not picking up injuries, I'd say it's not worth stressing over. That said, like someone else mentioned, if you usually eat a little less or skip carbs on shot days, that could be playing a role in the low energy you feel for an evening run.
 
dondada109 said:

UghItsStupidNIHateIT said:

Any runners here who are also on tirzepatide? My dosing is split: 3.5mg on Tuesday at 8am, then 3.5mg Friday at 8pm. My weekly routine includes weight training on mon/thu (twice), yoga on wed/sat (twice), and running on sun/tues/fri (three times). I'm following “couch to 5k” and right now my intervals are 4minute run/2.5 minute walk. What's tripping me up is my Tuesday evening run—I'm completely drained and can't hold the correct pace. Has anyone else struggled with exercise, especially cardio, on the days they take their shot?

35 y/o female, SW: 240, CW: 213
What's your motivation for running — is it for cardiovascular fitness or for burning calories? If it's the former, consider timing your carbs around your runs: have some before you head out for energy, and make sure to eat a good amount afterward to aid recovery. If it's the latter, I'd lean toward focusing on getting more steps in instead, so you don't wear yourself down too much while dieting (recovery tends to suffer when you're in a deficit). If you're after both, then honestly I'd just take in carbs before running.
Truthfully, the reason is that I get a lot of genuine pleasure out of it. Running was part of my life before, and I simply long for it. The carb suggestion is something I can absolutely give a try — thanks for that!
 
Yesterday I came very close to completing a half marathon!

...thankfully, I convinced myself not to go through with it.
 
Back
Top