Reta reducing sleep duration (dropped from 7 to 5-6 hours) — how did you fix it?

bgddy32

Explorer
Joined
May 21, 2026
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
During the first stretch, sleep was fine, but once week 3 arrived, the amount of sleep I get has clearly dropped. Short of adding more peptides, I've given everything a shot:

- going to bed sooner

- no food after 6

- keeping the phone out of the bedroom

Magnesium makes falling asleep happen very fast, yet the problem now is remaining asleep. I'm wondering whether anyone else experienced this and managed to resolve it without extra medication, or whether it eventually stops at some stage?

About to start week 4, on 1mg twice a week from the very beginning.
 
I stopped following my CJC rule about avoiding food before sleep, and instead had carbs just before hitting the sack

Passed out like an infant

My guess is that frequently we don’t sense hunger, yet our system wakes us because it needs fuel
 
Does 1mg really wreck your sleep that badly? For me it didn't kick in until 6mg, and at 8mg now it's the worst it's been. My wife and I take gummies at bedtime. We do half at bedtime, then the other half when I wake up somewhere around 11pm-1am. Just don't confuse 4am with 11pm and take that second half at 4. I woke up wide awake at 4:45, got out of bed and wandered around the house. It took me a few tries just to get the coffee going. 🤣
 
I'd love to tell you it improves… same as you, falling asleep is no problem for me (I take magnesium), but without fail I'm awake every night somewhere between 4-5 am. Usually I head to the bathroom, and once my bladder is empty I seem to drift off again pretty fast. That was never a thing before Reta, lol… and it's been a year now…

On top of that, my bedtime has slid much later than it used to be, usually close to 1am. Back before Reta I'd sleep like a baby from 12am - 8am… these days I only get around 6hrs…
 
It takes time. Somewhere near week 6 it settles down. Then sleep returns to normal.
 
Reta isn't a good fit for everyone. I'm in that group. Have you given Tirz a shot? For me, Tirz delivered identical outcomes to Reta, minus the side effects...
 
Clavicular's Hammer said:

I stopped following my CJC rule about avoiding food before sleep, and instead had carbs just before hitting the sack

Passed out like an infant

My guess is that frequently we don’t sense hunger, yet our system wakes us because it needs fuel
Giving this a shot tonight. What's on the menu for you — just a slice of toast, or am I going all in with a full bag of popcorn 🤣
 
sfkid said:

Reta isn't a good fit for everyone. I'm in that group. Have you given Tirz a shot? For me, Tirz delivered identical outcomes to Reta, minus the side effects...
I still haven't given it a try, honestly I go back and forth on it. Switching things up bugs me since I've got a bunch of Reta on hand, but this sleep deprivation is getting harder to put up with.
 
bgddy32 said:

During the first stretch, sleep was fine, but once week 3 arrived, the amount of sleep I get has clearly dropped. Short of adding more peptides, I've given everything a shot:

- going to bed sooner

- no food after 6

- keeping the phone out of the bedroom

Magnesium makes falling asleep happen very fast, yet the problem now is remaining asleep. I'm wondering whether anyone else experienced this and managed to resolve it without extra medication, or whether it eventually stops at some stage?

About to start week 4, on 1mg twice a week from the very beginning.

I've been taking 10mg of melatonin roughly 2-3 hours prior to going to bed, and my sleep issues disappeared. Mine aren't caused by reta, though—other factors are what disrupt my sleep.

Still, from what I've personally found, taking 10mg of melatonin every night worked extremely well. It doesn't sedate me or knock me out, but it does significantly boost how well I sleep.
 
bgddy32 said:

sfkid said:

Reta isn't a good fit for everyone. I'm in that group. Have you given Tirz a shot? For me, Tirz delivered identical outcomes to Reta, minus the side effects...
I still haven't given it a try, honestly I go back and forth on it. Switching things up bugs me since I've got a bunch of Reta on hand, but this sleep deprivation is getting harder to put up with.
How much Reta are you on?
 
aRareUnicorn said:

I'd love to tell you it improves… same as you, falling asleep is no problem for me (I take magnesium), but without fail I'm awake every night somewhere between 4-5 am. Usually I head to the bathroom, and once my bladder is empty I seem to drift off again pretty fast. That was never a thing before Reta, lol… and it's been a year now…

On top of that, my bedtime has slid much later than it used to be, usually close to 1am. Back before Reta I'd sleep like a baby from 12am - 8am… these days I only get around 6hrs…
Wild, this is exactly my situation. I go to bed at 12-1230, then I'm up at 5am with my heart pounding, and I attempt to make myself fall back asleep until work starts 🤣 occasionally I can get that additional hour, pushing it to 6-630.
 
ladyj779 said:

It takes time. Somewhere near week 6 it settles down. Then sleep returns to normal.
Such a tease... within reach yet nowhere near...I'll come back at week 6 with an update. Carbs are today's experiment, and if week 6 arrives with no luck, I'm making the switch to tirz 😆
 
Carbs really do make a difference overall. After roughly 20 years of steering clear of them, I've stopped stressing about it!

And make sure to stack them...
 
bgddy32 said:

aRareUnicorn said:

I'd love to tell you it improves… same as you, falling asleep is no problem for me (I take magnesium), but without fail I'm awake every night somewhere between 4-5 am. Usually I head to the bathroom, and once my bladder is empty I seem to drift off again pretty fast. That was never a thing before Reta, lol… and it's been a year now…

On top of that, my bedtime has slid much later than it used to be, usually close to 1am. Back before Reta I'd sleep like a baby from 12am - 8am… these days I only get around 6hrs…
Wild, this is exactly my situation. I go to bed at 12-1230, then I'm up at 5am with my heart pounding, and I attempt to make myself fall back asleep until work starts 🤣 occasionally I can get that additional hour, pushing it to 6-630.
man, that sounds awful. do you have sleep apnea or any condition like that? is this caused by the glp1 or something else?
 
sfkid said:

Reta isn't a good fit for everyone. I'm in that group. Have you given Tirz a shot? For me, Tirz delivered identical outcomes to Reta, minus the side effects...
I take 2mg per week, divided across two shots: 1mg on Tuesday and 1mg on Thursday. My plan was to mirror the study's titration schedule and reach 4mg by week 5, but the sleep-related side effects make that impossible.
 
wildweasel said:

bgddy32 said:

aRareUnicorn said:

I'd love to tell you it improves… same as you, falling asleep is no problem for me (I take magnesium), but without fail I'm awake every night somewhere between 4-5 am. Usually I head to the bathroom, and once my bladder is empty I seem to drift off again pretty fast. That was never a thing before Reta, lol… and it's been a year now…

On top of that, my bedtime has slid much later than it used to be, usually close to 1am. Back before Reta I'd sleep like a baby from 12am - 8am… these days I only get around 6hrs…
Wild, this is exactly my situation. I go to bed at 12-1230, then I'm up at 5am with my heart pounding, and I attempt to make myself fall back asleep until work starts 🤣 occasionally I can get that additional hour, pushing it to 6-630.
man, that sounds awful. do you have sleep apnea or any condition like that? is this caused by the glp1 or something else?
not at all — before the glps i slept great, a solid 7 hours without waking, which is all i need. as far as longevity goes, research points to 6.4 to 7.8 hours being ideal, and going over or under that is bad for health, so it bothers me that i'm falling short of 6.4.
 
bgddy32 said:

sfkid said:

Reta isn't a good fit for everyone. I'm in that group. Have you given Tirz a shot? For me, Tirz delivered identical outcomes to Reta, minus the side effects...
I take 2mg per week, divided across two shots: 1mg on Tuesday and 1mg on Thursday. My plan was to mirror the study's titration schedule and reach 4mg by week 5, but the sleep-related side effects make that impossible.
Right, if 2mg is already too much for you, then 4mg is going to be rough.

My solution: I moved up to Tirz for the bigger dose (4mg), and kept Reta at 1mg. Both once weekly....
 
My sleep quality on reta has come and gone in phases. Things were starting to settle into a good place, then I added DSIP and that derailed everything. Combined with bumping up my reta dose, I'm stuck in the same rut again — I wake up somewhere between 3-5am with no clear cause. Naps help me stay on top of my sleep debt, and most days I'm fortunate enough to drift back off.

Carbs made zero difference in my case, though AI pointed me toward them too.

What I use for sleep:

480mg Magnesium Glycinate

Glycine

Taurine

My hunch is that time is the only real fix and it'll level out eventually.
 
woundcarping said:

My sleep quality on reta has come and gone in phases. Things were starting to settle into a good place, then I added DSIP and that derailed everything. Combined with bumping up my reta dose, I'm stuck in the same rut again — I wake up somewhere between 3-5am with no clear cause. Naps help me stay on top of my sleep debt, and most days I'm fortunate enough to drift back off.

Carbs made zero difference in my case, though AI pointed me toward them too.

What I use for sleep:

480mg Magnesium Glycinate

Glycine

Taurine

My hunch is that time is the only real fix and it'll level out eventually.
Once your reta dose was steady, how many weeks passed before your sleep got back to some kind of normal? Same situation here — I'm up at 5am with no explanation and just hoping I can grab another hour 😂
 
bgddy32 said:


Trying this tonight, what do you do just a piece of toast or something? lol Or do i slap a whole bag of popcorn 🤣

Click to expand...
A YouTube guy who went to extremes mentioned it, but my personal fix for a middle-of-the-night hunger wake-up is a banana with peanut butter, plus a splash of (soy)milk to help it go down.
 
Back
Top