Reta Begins - Blog

UnusualLLama said:

Side note - has anyone else noticed they're consuming less coffee while on reta? Or perhaps less caffeine overall? I know I'm certainly having less than before, and for a Swede, that's practically a crime worthy of the gallows.
Yeah. There was a point on Reta where I stopped drinking coffee altogether. My mugs would sit there only partly drunk, and in the end I just stopped bothering. Still, I enjoy what caffeine does for me, so I picked up some caffeine chews on amazon that actually taste good. I take one in the morning, and sometimes a 2nd at about 2 pm — does the job nicely.
 
px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

I'll keep this one brief since work has been absolutely relentless lately.





View attachment 10446

Moved up to 2mg a week ago. No sides so far, and nothing else really stands out besides a modest bump in weight loss (despite my calorie intake staying identical) plus the food noise staying quiet during the final day or two before my next pin.

Every other metric holds steady, including heart rate at rest and during activity, so going from 1mg to 2mg made no difference there in my case.

One more thing; when the lighting hits right, the top abs are beginning to show!
What weight are you aiming for?
There isn't a specific number on the scale I'm chasing—it's more about what I see in the mirror. Still, dropping under 70kg isn't something I want, so I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
 
PineCone99 said:

UnusualLLama said:

Side note - has anyone else noticed they're consuming less coffee while on reta? Or perhaps less caffeine overall? I know I'm certainly having less than before, and for a Swede, that's practically a crime worthy of the gallows.
Yeah. There was a point on Reta where I stopped drinking coffee altogether. My mugs would sit there only partly drunk, and in the end I just stopped bothering. Still, I enjoy what caffeine does for me, so I picked up some caffeine chews on amazon that actually taste good. I take one in the morning, and sometimes a 2nd at about 2 pm — does the job nicely.
What's strange is that coffee hasn't really been calling to me. My morning cup is still part of the routine, but the ones I used to reach for later—late morning, after lunch, sometimes late afternoon to keep things going—I just haven't wanted them.
 
UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Is your scale giving you pounds or percent? Mine is a Renpho, and it reports percentages, which makes the skeletal muscle gain look better than it really is. Take a 175 lb example: 54% skeletal muscle, 16% body fat, and 30% everything else (bones, organs, water, and so on). That works out to 94.5 lbs of skeletal muscle and 28 lbs of fat. Now drop 5 lbs to 170, and suppose the scale reads 54.4% skeletal muscle and 15.8% body fat. Those figures come to 92.48 lbs of muscle and 26.86 lbs of fat. So the skeletal muscle percentage is higher, but 2 lbs of muscle were actually lost.

numbers just for illustration

Your scale may not work the same way, but this is something I picked up on with mine.
 
UnusualLLama said:

px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

I'll keep this one brief since work has been absolutely relentless lately.





View attachment 10446

Moved up to 2mg a week ago. No sides so far, and nothing else really stands out besides a modest bump in weight loss (despite my calorie intake staying identical) plus the food noise staying quiet during the final day or two before my next pin.

Every other metric holds steady, including heart rate at rest and during activity, so going from 1mg to 2mg made no difference there in my case.

One more thing; when the lighting hits right, the top abs are beginning to show!
What weight are you aiming for?
There isn't a specific number on the scale I'm chasing—it's more about what I see in the mirror. Still, dropping under 70kg isn't something I want, so I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
I weighed roughly 94kg and set 85kg as my initial goal, which ought to leave me looking fairly lean.

I'm attempting to stick to a reasonable daily calorie intake, though I'm curious how my body would respond to a calorie surplus while training hard—essentially what would be a natural bulking phase. Would that lead to greater muscle gains with less fat accumulation?
 
UnusualLLama said:

px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

I'll keep this one brief since work has been absolutely relentless lately.





View attachment 10446

Moved up to 2mg a week ago. No sides so far, and nothing else really stands out besides a modest bump in weight loss (despite my calorie intake staying identical) plus the food noise staying quiet during the final day or two before my next pin.

Every other metric holds steady, including heart rate at rest and during activity, so going from 1mg to 2mg made no difference there in my case.

One more thing; when the lighting hits right, the top abs are beginning to show!
What weight are you aiming for?
There isn't a specific number on the scale I'm chasing—it's more about what I see in the mirror. Still, dropping under 70kg isn't something I want, so I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
You've got just 1cm on me, and our muscle mass looks about the same to me. Once you're near 72kg, I'd bet you'll feel really pleased.
 
UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Has the mirror shown you anything regarding possible muscle loss? You and I share a few traits, and muscle loss worries me a lot. (6ft1 220, roughly 23%bf when I last checked, which was some time ago) I train 3 times per week, soon moving up to 4x, and I recently increased to 3mg weekly. (this is month 2 of reta for me)

Also, sorry if this has come up before and I missed it, but how are you sleeping? I've been looking into the cjc/ipa that gets mentioned often as a way to support deeper rest, since mine has... well, suffered, ha.
 
UnusualLLama said:

Side note - has anyone else noticed they're consuming less coffee while on reta? Or perhaps less caffeine overall? I know I'm certainly having less than before, and for a Swede, that's practically a crime worthy of the gallows.
These days, even large doses of caffeine are off-limits for me.
 
jsc1980 said:

UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Is your scale giving you pounds or percent? Mine is a Renpho, and it reports percentages, which makes the skeletal muscle gain look better than it really is. Take a 175 lb example: 54% skeletal muscle, 16% body fat, and 30% everything else (bones, organs, water, and so on). That works out to 94.5 lbs of skeletal muscle and 28 lbs of fat. Now drop 5 lbs to 170, and suppose the scale reads 54.4% skeletal muscle and 15.8% body fat. Those figures come to 92.48 lbs of muscle and 26.86 lbs of fat. So the skeletal muscle percentage is higher, but 2 lbs of muscle were actually lost.

numbers just for illustration

Your scale may not work the same way, but this is something I picked up on with mine.
That's a fair observation, and both the % and the raw figures are available on my scale (or through the app I use to view the data).

Checking again, the raw figures do show a bit of muscle loss, though that fits with what I already said: any cut, whether or not a GLP is involved, will involve some muscle loss.

So maybe the clearer way to frame it is:

Raw figures = minor muscle loss

Percentages = higher lean mass / weight ratio
 
px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

I'll keep this one brief since work has been absolutely relentless lately.





View attachment 10446

Moved up to 2mg a week ago. No sides so far, and nothing else really stands out besides a modest bump in weight loss (despite my calorie intake staying identical) plus the food noise staying quiet during the final day or two before my next pin.

Every other metric holds steady, including heart rate at rest and during activity, so going from 1mg to 2mg made no difference there in my case.

One more thing; when the lighting hits right, the top abs are beginning to show!
What weight are you aiming for?
There isn't a specific number on the scale I'm chasing—it's more about what I see in the mirror. Still, dropping under 70kg isn't something I want, so I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
I weighed roughly 94kg and set 85kg as my initial goal, which ought to leave me looking fairly lean.

I'm attempting to stick to a reasonable daily calorie intake, though I'm curious how my body would respond to a calorie surplus while training hard—essentially what would be a natural bulking phase. Would that lead to greater muscle gains with less fat accumulation?

That's a fair observation, and it's crossed my mind too now that I'm getting nearer to the bottom of the weight range I'm aiming for. Once I get there, a bulk will be the next step - can that even be done while on reta? Suppose we'll see.
 
zpped said:

UnusualLLama said:

px1984 said:

UnusualLLama said:

I'll keep this one brief since work has been absolutely relentless lately.





View attachment 10446

Moved up to 2mg a week ago. No sides so far, and nothing else really stands out besides a modest bump in weight loss (despite my calorie intake staying identical) plus the food noise staying quiet during the final day or two before my next pin.

Every other metric holds steady, including heart rate at rest and during activity, so going from 1mg to 2mg made no difference there in my case.

One more thing; when the lighting hits right, the top abs are beginning to show!
What weight are you aiming for?
There isn't a specific number on the scale I'm chasing—it's more about what I see in the mirror. Still, dropping under 70kg isn't something I want, so I'll just have to wait and see how things play out.
You've got just 1cm on me, and our muscle mass looks about the same to me. Once you're near 72kg, I'd bet you'll feel really pleased.
I wouldn't be shocked by that either. Honestly, we're already at a stage where, if those final few kg disappear from my midsection, the result should look really good!
 
quicksilver80 said:

UnusualLLama said:

Side note - has anyone else noticed they're consuming less coffee while on reta? Or perhaps less caffeine overall? I know I'm certainly having less than before, and for a Swede, that's practically a crime worthy of the gallows.
These days, even large doses of caffeine are off-limits for me.
I can still do it, no problem there — it's just that the urge or pull toward it isn't what it once was. Could part of that be the reta causing my body to burn more fat for fuel, which might leave me feeling less wiped out sometimes?
 
Midwestmouse said:

UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Has the mirror shown you anything regarding possible muscle loss? You and I share a few traits, and muscle loss worries me a lot. (6ft1 220, roughly 23%bf when I last checked, which was some time ago) I train 3 times per week, soon moving up to 4x, and I recently increased to 3mg weekly. (this is month 2 of reta for me)

Also, sorry if this has come up before and I missed it, but how are you sleeping? I've been looking into the cjc/ipa that gets mentioned often as a way to support deeper rest, since mine has... well, suffered, ha.
Okay, this one's a bit odd.

I don't know whether you've come across a fitness YouTuber named Will Tenyson (not sure about the spelling), but roughly a year ago he put out a video where he fully committed to entering his first natural bodybuilding show.

What sticks with me in relation to what you asked is the section where he explains that despite being aware he'd dropped a huge amount of weight, since the majority of it was fat and that made his muscles more visible, he actually ended up appearing larger (and I'd agree with that).

Losing some muscle during a cut is basically unavoidable, but once that muscle is exposed from under the fat, we likely appear somewhat bigger (even if we aren't). I suppose that's just how our brains play tricks on us.

On the sleep side, genuinely, nothing to report. I brought it up in a few of the earlier updates, and it's worth keeping in mind I'm only at 2mg right now, so I'd expect higher doses to be more likely to cause problems, but so far it's been fine.

Or rather, when I say fine, what I actually mean is no different from normal, which is constantly wanting more sleep but never managing to get it because of life 😀
 
Midwestmouse said:

UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Has the mirror shown you anything regarding possible muscle loss? You and I share a few traits, and muscle loss worries me a lot. (6ft1 220, roughly 23%bf when I last checked, which was some time ago) I train 3 times per week, soon moving up to 4x, and I recently increased to 3mg weekly. (this is month 2 of reta for me)

Also, sorry if this has come up before and I missed it, but how are you sleeping? I've been looking into the cjc/ipa that gets mentioned often as a way to support deeper rest, since mine has... well, suffered, ha.
Sleep hasn't shifted at all for me either. The one thing that's genuinely stood out is my vision — tricky to put into words, but things get somewhat blurry and slip out of focus more readily. It's really obvious since I'm on a computer the whole day, yet it doesn't happen when I'm out and about.

BPC has actually begun to improve it, as I've only just started looking into that, while also staying on top of electrolytes.
 
jsc1980 said:

UnusualLLama said:

Another 7 days done and dusted!

The numbers

Male

Mid-40's

5'10/178cm

This morning's weight - 75.9.kg/167.3309lbs (previously 76.5.kg/168.6536lbs)

7-day rolling average has dropped 0.8kg/1.7637lbs (slightly more than the week before)

Body fat estimate - 0.3% lower (withings scale, aware it's not the most precise, but I track the direction - and since I began, withings reports a total BF drop of 1.4% and a muscle mass gain of 1.3%)

Resting heart rate average - 46-48 (unchanged from last week)

Blood pressure average - 112/69 (previously 113/71)

Dose - was 1mg reta, bumped it to 2mg yesterday

What I'm noticing

The headline here is that basically nothing shifted compared to last week, everything I wrote then still holds. The one change is that I went from 1mg to 2mg.

This isn't because "it's not doing anything" because it obviously is, I can see it, the numbers confirm it, all signs point that way. The only reason is that the last couple of days before my next pin get a bit tougher.

I'm curious how strongly dose and heart-rate will correlate, and I'll report any sides, but I expect it'll be fine.

Muscle retention rant

I'll probably ramble a bit here, but this has been on my mind a lot this past week or so, particularly after seeing my withings trends consistently show higher lean mass and lower fat numbers.

Taken at face value, that means I'm losing fat and gaining muscle. The fat loss is certain, the muscle gain I'm not sure about, but what I feel more confident in is that I'm not losing muscle. And that was one of my worries with reta. I mentioned it in my first post, I want to get lean while keeping as much muscle as I can, yet everywhere you look reta gets painted as some muscle-devouring compound you could inject into the Hulk to turn him back into Bruce Banner.

I don't believe that's true.

So here are a few things I've been turning over that I want to raise.

1. Every study shows roughly 25-30% lean mass reduction in people on Reta. But that's misleading. The world's reflex seems to be that lean mass = muscle, which isn't correct.

Lean mass covers a lot, and when you're talking about muscle specifically, it isn't even all muscle. A big chunk is water (do a heavy leg session that you feel the next day, I can easily weigh 1kg more than I should), intra-muscular fat, all kinds of things that feed into that number. But we see lean mass in the studies and people instantly think muscle.

2. Back to the studies. Most participants have clinical obesity plus a whole range of other chronic conditions, and from what I can tell, there are plenty of much older people in them too.

This matters because you're dealing not only with people whose metabolism is broken, but also people who probably aren't doing everything possible to limit lean mass loss while in a calorie deficit. Which brings me neatly to the next point.

3. Unless you're on a solid TRT dose, loaded up with SARMS (or similar), or you make a swishing noise when you move because you're pinning so many peptides daily, then anyone in a calorie deficit will lose some lean mass.

Anyone. Everyone.

And that's talking about a normal diet, eating less than you burn.

The human body is great, incredible, it does many things really really well.

But it's not perfect. You can't nail the golden ratio of calories in vs. calories out with ideal muscle stimulus and decimal-accurate protein amounts and expect the body to flip a switch and say "I'm only going to be burning 100% fat now". It's not THAT good. If you're in a deficit and losing weight, some of it will be lean mass.

Sure, you can tweak things and do the right stuff, and minimise the ratio, but you will lose lean mass. Full stop.

4. This is the point that jumps out at me most, and it's kind of wild that I don't see anyone discussing it now that I've thought about it for a while.

Lean mass to total body weight ratio.

Here's a very rough example to illustrate.

Take someone who's overweight, 50% of their total weight is lean mass, the rest fat.

That person loses weight, say with a GLP. And when they hit their goal, scans show they lost 30% lean mass.

Shocking, right? Or is it?

That person started with a lean mass to total weight ratio of 0.5 (for every lb of weight, 0.5 of it was lean mass, the rest fat).

But at the end, because only 30% of the total weight they lost was lean mass, that means the other 70% was fat.

So now, instead of a ratio of 0.5 it's probably closer to 0.7. They've gone from half their weight being lean mass to 70% of their weight being lean mass. Not only is that healthier, but it will visibly look a ton better, as well as feeling immensely better.

But this ratio never gets highlighted, it's only the "30% lean mass/muscle gone" without the proper nuance it actually needs.

So now that I've rambled way too much, my point is this. I think it's very possible to retain a very good amount of muscle (I said muscle not lean mass for a reason, read above 😉 )on Reta with just a few simple steps.

1. Easy calorie deficit, nothing too extreme. (I understand this might not be the case for everyone, some people have a lot more weight to lose, so you do you).

2. Adequate protein amounts. 1 gram of protein per estimated lb of lean mass (important distinction, lean mass, not muscle).

3. Proper stimulus for the muscles. You don't need to smash the gym 20x per week, just a few workouts where you have 1 or 2 sets in most muscle groups getting within 1-2 reps of failure should do it (I always like to push 1 set to absolute failure on most lifts where viable, don't do this for barbell squats and other compounds etc.)

4. Decent rest and recovery. This is when all of the work you put in is turned into something more than just work. Don't neglect sleep and recovery.

And that's it, rant over. I've typed way too much for something non-work related so I'm out.

Onto the next!
Is your scale giving you pounds or percent? Mine is a Renpho, and it reports percentages, which makes the skeletal muscle gain look better than it really is. Take a 175 lb example: 54% skeletal muscle, 16% body fat, and 30% everything else (bones, organs, water, and so on). That works out to 94.5 lbs of skeletal muscle and 28 lbs of fat. Now drop 5 lbs to 170, and suppose the scale reads 54.4% skeletal muscle and 15.8% body fat. Those figures come to 92.48 lbs of muscle and 26.86 lbs of fat. So the skeletal muscle percentage is higher, but 2 lbs of muscle were actually lost.

numbers just for illustration

Your scale may not work the same way, but this is something I picked up on with mine.

I'm coming back around to this subject since it's been nagging at me, to the point where I pulled every bit of my withings history out as .csv files and began poring over the figures — and I believe I've finally pinned down what the "muscle loss" actually is.

PeriodWeightFat MassMuscle MassHydration~May 8–14 avg78.6 kg14.5 kg60.9 kg44.2 kg~Jun 1–7 avg74.7 kg12.6 kg59.0 kg42.7 kg

When I first answered you, I'd read those figures wrong, since taken at face value that works out to nearly 2kg of muscle gone within a single month. That would be genuinely shocking.

Hydration is the crucial piece here, though. On the raw numbers by itself, that accounts for 1.5kg.

This is textbook BIA behaviour while a cut is going well.

Muscle tissue isn't something a scale can measure directly. It arrives at an estimate through electrical impedance plus a model.

Once glycogen and water fall, that model is misled.

The reason I wound up returning to this and looking deeper is that when I spotted that 2kg muscle gap, my reaction was.. there's simply no chance I've dropped 2kg of muscle without a sweeping drop in strength showing up everywhere, and that hasn't happened. (In fact I've nudged a few lifts upward slightly here and there.)

Even so, this pace of weight loss sits right at the edge of what I'm okay with, maybe even slightly past it, and as I said in my muscle-loss rant, some muscle loss is unavoidable, so I'll nudge my calories up a little. Perhaps 200-300.
 
873ca5b53ea8d6b9c3ad2f7c8b889138a5421e47321e3babf46bb8313291a2e3.webp


Alright, so following last week's update I bumped my average daily intake up by roughly 300 calories, since the pace I was shedding weight at felt uncomfortably close to the ceiling of what I'm willing to accept. Yet nothing budged.

Could be there's some delay at play and my body is still adjusting, or perhaps reta simply performs its job so efficiently that a much bigger calorie bump would be required. For the time being I'll hold steady for another week, and if the rate hasn't shifted I'll tack on roughly another 300.

Beyond that, though, everything else lines up. There might, conceivably, perhaps be a 1bmp rise in my average RHR, but honestly that's far too minor to trust right now. That said, if it does turn out to be real, it could just mean that moving up to 2mg a few weeks ago left more reta accumulating in my system, and it needed a bit of time to show.

Still, all remaining markers look fine across the board, with zero meaningful movement.

The only other item worth a mention: I had alcohol this week. I genuinely rarely drink, perhaps half a dozen times over the course of a year, but this week I clearly felt what reta does when I did (my first time drinking while on reta). I consumed less, consumed it more slowly, and yet still woke up feeling awful the next day. Can't have it all, I suppose.

Onward we go!
 
733f3da54f599cae3083c823f6ee040b54d44938629dcb390e91de4673509010.webp


Another 7 days done and dusted.

By bumping up my calories I've been able to take a bit of the edge off how quickly the weight is coming off, which is a lot harder to pull off than it sounds, but thank goodness for peanut butter. At the very least I'm now under the 1kg per-week threshold I'm aiming to stay beneath.

Beyond the weight itself though, I've pretty firmly landed on the conclusion that there's been a mild uptick in heart rate - at rest as well as when I'm active.

After several weeks sitting at 2mg per week I'd say it's settled, roughly 5-6bpm over my baseline RHR, though since mine runs on the low side it isn't really a concern. It also doesn't "feel" like a problem to me - no jittery energy or anything along those lines.

As for stepping up to 2mg, I believe this is where I belong. I genuinely don't have any sense that it needs to go higher, and it's doing what it should. The thing I ran into at 1mg, where I could sense it "running out" over the final couple of days before the next shot, has disappeared at 2mg, so I'll remain here for the time being.

Worth mentioning is that I've had some bouts of tiredness, but I can tell it's precisely the same flavour of tiredness I've experienced before during a normal weight cut. It's the kind that usually shows up a couple of weeks in, once your energy stores are genuinely getting depleted, and it's something I can handle.

I also suspect I may be a touch more susceptible to low blood sugar here and there (usually in the mornings while I'm training - I've always trained fasted, never been able to eat that early before a workout). Nothing dramatic, just a bit of that foggy-headed sensation you get occasionally after a tough set or when you stand up too fast.

Thinking about adding a banana to my mornings, we'll see how that goes.

Aside from all that, things are in good shape. BP is staying stable, sleep is still fine, recovery is still fine, and none of the other typical sides that people report.

Onward we go.
 
Week number another one completed, and the trend keeps going.

91e651e4e3471b10f5c6108645650ab567a709dfaf1adbca8178627176f9ae1c.webp


Honestly, this week has mirrored the previous one almost exactly.

When it comes to side effects, there's basically nothing to report apart from a mild uptick in resting and active heart rate.

On top of that, I now feel like I've got a solid handle on how quickly the weight is coming off, and I'm much more comfortable sitting below the 1kg per week mark (around .75).

Roughly 2 months have passed at this point, and my strength numbers are holding up reasonably well. My honest take is that the main things that matter are getting enough protein (no less than 1g for every pound of lean mass) plus the right training stimulus (lifting several times a week, hitting failure for every muscle group at minimum once in each session).

Something I find genuinely interesting is how my current calorie intake stacks up against previous weight-loss phases. Right now I'm taking in more calories (about 2200 daily) than I ever did before reta, and yet the weight is coming off more reliably.

Now for the part that's really caught my attention.

I've got a whoop (that's a fitness/health tracker, in the same category as apple watch, fitbit, and so on) and before reta, to actually lose weight I had to eat way below the daily burn number it reported on a typical day (we're talking around 1000 calories below).

Obviously fitness trackers aren't exactly famous for pinpoint calorie burn precision, but they do give you a decent ballpark. What's fascinating is that these days, when I take the average daily burn it reports and hold it next to what I'm actually eating, the two line up with the rate at which I'm losing weight.

It's almost like reta has somehow made the tracker's daily burn figure more truthful? Could it be that reta is doing something that makes my metabolism run far more efficiently?

tl;dr;

my daily calorie intake is higher

my average daily calorie burn (according to whoop) is the same as it was pre-reta

my weight is going down steadily

pre-reta on this amount of calories it wouldn't have gone down

Reta sure is something huh?
 
Sorry for not posting anything for the past few weeks — if you know anything about Sweden, you'll get why: we tend to disappear for a month each summer, heading out to the countryside and shutting out normal life.

Things have kept moving along nicely, just at the slower pace I was deliberately going for.

I'm now a touch over 71kg, dropping roughly 0.5kg-ish each week.

My dose went up from 2mg to 3mg. It wasn't about wanting or needing more appetite suppression or anything like that — I was mainly interested in whether it would affect fat loss much, given a bit more glucagon receptor activation.

It does seem like it has, though it might just be placebo. Energy is stable, and the frustratingly stubborn middle section is looking noticeably leaner — but that could simply be because I've reached the point people always talk about, [[Q1]]

One thing worth mentioning about going from 2mg to 3mg: my appetite itself hasn't shifted, but my capacity to eat bigger meals has clearly dropped.

I don't usually eat big meals to begin with, but when I do — even if it's clean food — I end up feeling full for a very long time afterward.

So my plan is to stay at this dose for the last few kg I want to lose, and after that, when I'm satisfied with where I'm at, I'm considering dropping the dose and attempting a lean bulk as the darker, colder months roll in.
 
just found this and really enjoyed reading it, since I'm on a comparable path and only became a forum member this week. Nice job, and I can't wait for the next entry.
 
Back
Top