Seasonal1 said:
Tjockis123 said:
Seasonal1 said:
Tjockis123 said:
33-year-old guy here, weighing 119 kg (262 lbs) at the moment. I'd been on Mounjaro before and got my weight down to 101 kg (222 lbs). Unfortunately, roughly 1 year later, every bit of it has come back, so I'm starting treatment again to get things back on track.
Previously, 7.5 mg was the highest dose I reached, and it worked really well for me. The starting 2.5 mg dose, though, did almost nothing for me in that first month.
A kit containing 10 x 30 mg tirzepatide vials is currently on its way to me. Because I already know how my body responds, I'd like to reach 5 mg fairly quickly this time. Instead of the usual 4 weeks, would it be fine to spend just 1 or 2 weeks at 2.5 mg before increasing?
I am a male, 63 years old, and I accept that a weight loss medication will be part of my life permanently. That does not bother me much, since plenty of people at 63 are taking something for the rest of their lives anyway. In my view, I need some level of medication to keep my obesity disease under control.
What you said, along with your age, brings to mind a younger member of my extended family who shares the same inherited problem I have. I do not have an answer, but for a young person such as yourself, would that mean staying on weight loss drugs for another 60 years? Or would they follow the route I took, repeatedly losing and regaining the same substantial amount of weight for the rest of their life? I would be interested in any thoughts.
Honestly, that question is a solid one, and it's been on my mind quite a bit these past few weeks.
When I dropped the weight before, my daily habits stayed exactly the same. I didn't move much, spent most of my time sitting, and the pounds still came off. Once I quit the medication, nothing about my routine had changed, so the weight returned without much delay.
What's different now is that I finished my first ever workout at a gym just today. My goal is to work up to a minimum of 3 strength training days each week, once my body adjusts to the routine.
It's become clear to me that changing how I live matters just as much as avoiding an abrupt stop of the drug. Rather than cutting it off suddenly the moment I hit my target, I'm planning to reduce the dose gradually and cautiously this time. On top of that, I'm considering adding Retatrutide at some point later, because the numbers appear to indicate less weight comes back after that one is discontinued. My hope is that a slow taper, Retatrutide, and these new gym sessions together will help me hold onto the results. If there's a way to dodge 40 years of weight cycling, I'd certainly prefer that.
Making changes to how you live is a great thing. Based on diets I've done before, wheat and sugar aren't part of what I eat. I feel very lucky that sweets, candy, cake, cookies, chocolate, pasta, and breads hold no appeal for me. All my food is made at home, and we barely use salt. What trips me up is staying active and how much I eat. I'm retired now, but for 40 years I was parked at a desk with a laptop or desktop computer in front of me. If I wasn't at that desk, on a call, or in a meeting room, I wasn't doing my job. That was 10 hours a day, 5 or 6 days each week.
Heading to the gym or doing workouts is fine, and I hope it pans out for you. The catch is that over the years I've known a lot of folks who signed up for a gym or put together a home gym setup. I can't name a single one who kept at it over the long haul. My take is that being active is what matters most. Doing things around the yard, gardening, riding a regular bike, or taking a long walk are activities people actually like and keep doing. Just a thought.
Here's another old man observation (mine). Every person I've known in my life who got into jogging ended up with knee and hip replacements in their late 50s or 60s. It's just a pattern I've seen. Not all older people who get a joint replaced were joggers, but every jogger I knew has had a joint replaced.