Ramadan while on GLP's?

Sid the SeaGull

Explorer
Joined
Nov 9, 2025
Messages
111
Reaction score
0
Location
.
Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
 
Sid the SeaGull said:

Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
During Ramadan, does the fast really rule out even water?
 
Jellybelly54 said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
During Ramadan, does the fast really rule out even water?
That's right — nothing to eat and nothing to drink.

Ramadan isn't something I follow, but it made me wonder about the people who do. A whole month of lengthy summer days without any water would put a lot of strain on the body. It's likely less difficult for someone in an office than for someone doing heavy work outdoors in high temperatures.
 
Jellybelly54 said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
During Ramadan, does the fast really rule out even water?
Yeah, that fact shocked me as well when I found out
 
Religion tends to be practised differently by each person, so labelling GLP1s as cheating isn't something I'd call straightforward. That said, if self discipline or sacrifice is among your reasons for fasting, then the medication sort of takes that element away, which might lead some to skip it. Everyone decides for themselves, I suppose.
 
Ruckus4519 said:

Jellybelly54 said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
During Ramadan, does the fast really rule out even water?
Yeah, that fact shocked me as well when I found out
Perhaps go even further and skip water for Lent too? Just kidding!

🤣 🤣 🤣 😉
 
Islam, much like Judaism, operates as a rule-bound legal system, so my hunch is that GLP-1s and similar wouldn't count as breaking the fast unless some centuries-old parallel ruling exists.

Islamic tradition contains countless tiers of "official" mechanisms and workarounds to make it through the daylight fasting period — even down to set counts of glasses of water at each point outside the daytime window.

On the water question: thirst and frequent urination both signal diabetes (and possibly pre-diabetes?), so my sense is that provided you're past the first weeks of treatment, keeping hydration in check becomes somewhat simpler while on GLP-1s.

Finally, given how closely the two faiths resemble each other, I'm quite sure that — just as in Judaism — preserving life and health comes first, meaning case-by-case exceptions are anticipated.
 
Jewish people frequently sidestep the prohibitions that apply on the sabbath by having someone next door switch on their devices. It seems their Muslim counterparts should take a leaf out of that same playbook, working out a way to set up their own drips and hoard saline bags along with TPN so they can more cleverly exploit the rules of their faith. 😉
 
I’m Muslim, and this will be my first Ramadan using Reta. I kept going back and forth on whether to pause it for the whole month or keep taking it while I fast. Once I break my fast, though, as long as I get enough fluids and hit the right macros, I don’t expect any problems.

To me, Ramadan is not about losing weight. It is worship, built on intention, discipline, and spiritual growth. Some people also see it as a health reset or cleanse, and in structure it can look a bit like OMAD, but the main point is spiritual.

Using Reta does not change the fact that a person is still going without food and drink during daylight hours. I get why some would feel torn about it. If someone used appetite suppression only to make fasting effortless, that leans more toward a personal spiritual question than a clear ethical one.

Feeling hunger is not really the objective of fasting. The objective is developing mindfulness, self-control, and God-consciousness.

That said, Islam has suitable exceptions for people with health issues or conditions and adaptations. For instance, the young, the very old, the sick, or anyone whose health could be seriously affected do not have to fast. Protecting one’s health is a core principle, and the religion stresses ease.
 
JoonyO said:

Ruckus4519 said:

Jellybelly54 said:

Sid the SeaGull said:

Just curious — would that count as cheating?

I figure, as with most things, opinions will vary.

If someone is genuinely using it for weight loss and it's been prescribed, then I'd say it's ethically okay; if not, then no.

Another thing: in certain regions where Ramadan falls during very long summer days, anyone on a GLP would have to be extremely cautious, since nothing can be consumed from sunrise to sunset.

Ramadan fasting brings major health benefits by itself, and GLPs would need to be carefully handled by those who take part.

Wishing the best to everyone participating.
During Ramadan, does the fast really rule out even water?
Yeah, that fact shocked me as well when I found out
Perhaps go even further and skip water for Lent too? Just kidding!

🤣 🤣 🤣 😉
During lent, meat stays in my diet, lol.
 
redbullwings said:

I’m Muslim, and this will be my first Ramadan using Reta. I kept going back and forth on whether to pause it for the whole month or keep taking it while I fast. Once I break my fast, though, as long as I get enough fluids and hit the right macros, I don’t expect any problems.

To me, Ramadan is not about losing weight. It is worship, built on intention, discipline, and spiritual growth. Some people also see it as a health reset or cleanse, and in structure it can look a bit like OMAD, but the main point is spiritual.

Using Reta does not change the fact that a person is still going without food and drink during daylight hours. I get why some would feel torn about it. If someone used appetite suppression only to make fasting effortless, that leans more toward a personal spiritual question than a clear ethical one.

Feeling hunger is not really the objective of fasting. The objective is developing mindfulness, self-control, and God-consciousness.

That said, Islam has suitable exceptions for people with health issues or conditions and adaptations. For instance, the young, the very old, the sick, or anyone whose health could be seriously affected do not have to fast. Protecting one’s health is a core principle, and the religion stresses ease.
Appreciate the perspectives — the mindfulness aspect hadn't really registered with me until you brought it up. All the best for the coming month.
 
There are certainly Muslims who need to take medications on a schedule during Ramadan because of their health. Would GLP not be handled differently?
 
Back
Top