Possible side effects I'm dealing with

Jaybird57

Explorer
Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Hi everyone,

Whenever I stand up quickly or get out of bed, I've been getting really light headed. On top of that, any kind of cardio brings on intense heart palpitations and I'm short of breath. Just climbing 1 flight of stairs leaves me completely gassed. Has anyone else had this happen while on Reta? Right now I'm on 1mg and have been for 7 weeks total (the first 4 weeks I was at 0.5mg).

Thanks!
 
A doctor visit is warranted here, since Reta could have unmasked a heart condition that was already present.

What you're describing — symptoms that hit when you rise — is orthostatic hypotenstion. Keep your fluids up and use electrolytes (potassium, sodium, calcium, etc.). It also helps to learn a way of standing that doesn't over-rely on the thigh muscles (look into the Feldenkrais Method, judo, QiGong...).

Reta commonly raises resting heart rate. The palpitations, though, are the genuine concern and need medical attention.
 
Jaybird57 said:

Hi everyone,

Whenever I stand up quickly or get out of bed, I've been getting really light headed. On top of that, any kind of cardio brings on intense heart palpitations and I'm short of breath. Just climbing 1 flight of stairs leaves me completely gassed. Has anyone else had this happen while on Reta? Right now I'm on 1mg and have been for 7 weeks total (the first 4 weeks I was at 0.5mg).

Thanks!
That sounds like you're not getting enough fluids, a problem that can come up when taking reta
 
Start with what's easiest to fix.

Step 1. Get your fluids up. Make sure you're drinking enough. Electrolytes aren't always necessary, though they can help. That goes double if you're exerting yourself a lot every day.

Step 2. Carbs. Being on a diet and working out doesn't justify a 1k+ deficit unless you've got a plan in place.

Step 3. Talk to your doctor. Tell them what you're feeling. They may want to run tests on your heart or check glucose levels (you could do that yourself, but you'd need to buy a glucose meter).

Most likely it's just dehydration combined with a higher HR from Reta. Add a bit more food (200-350 calories). If you're running a calorie deficit, that's roughly the extra calories Reta is thought to help you burn.
 
Back
Top