bosacknoodle
Explorer
If I decided to filter my own peptides at home, what supplies and items would I need? Could someone break that down for me? Maybe an Amazon list or something similar. Thanks!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
My search for the information I wanted came up empty.QueenMuntha said:
Try the search feature — you might be surprised by what you find!
I came across that some time ago, though it only handles 5 vials. That works out to more than $10 for each vial when you reconstitute and filter. It's a solid option if you're just beginning to get the hang of it. There's also a version with a 13 mm filter.Zelmar702 said:
check out a frequently referenced supplier - Underground supply - they offer several all-in-one kit choices, with prices reaching $54.00. It covers nearly all the essentials for beginning.
https://www.undergroundsupply.shop/product/starter-filtering-kit-4mm/
I. I'm checking this out too, but it looks like the UK has fewer kits you can ordertcpnomad said:
Only 3 items are needed, honestly.
- Item: Luer-lock syringe, 3ml capacity
You want a syringe where the needle can be changed out. That is because 1 needle is used to pull the fluid into the syringe, then a different needle is used to push the fluid through the filter into the final container (vial or cartridge). The filter goes in between the syringe and that second needle. Syringes of this kind are known as luer-lock syringes, and the needles that attach to them are luer-lock (or luer-slip) needles. A larger capacity syringe (such as 3ml or 5ml) makes things simpler, since it lets you process the whole vial in 1 go.
- Item: Luer-lock needles 25G 1.5" (and optionally, 30G 0.5")
For drawing - 25G 1.5" needles make it easier to reach all the fluid sitting at the bottom of the vials, and the thicker gauge resists bending (and gives better flow).
For dispensing - a 30G needle prevents coring in the destination vial or cartridge. But many people simply use the 25G needles for both jobs.
For venting - a 30G needle prevents coring. Mostly required for cartridges, though it can also be used with vials.
- Item: Sterile Syringe Filter, type PES, Diameter 13mm, Pore Size 0.22μm
The pore size is the key spec (for filtering out the bacteria). The 13mm size strikes a good balance between ease of use and fluid waste from holdback. Other sizes do exist, though. Smaller ones hold back less.
This might sound silly, but the description mentions 5 vials can be handled, yet it includes 2 bottles of BAC water at 30 ml each. Too bad international shipping isn’t offered.BNLFL said:
I came across that some time ago, though it only handles 5 vials. That works out to more than $10 for each vial when you reconstitute and filter. It's a solid option if you're just beginning to get the hang of it. There's also a version with a 13 mm filter.Zelmar702 said:
check out a frequently referenced supplier - Underground supply - they offer several all-in-one kit choices, with prices reaching $54.00. It covers nearly all the essentials for beginning.
https://www.undergroundsupply.shop/product/starter-filtering-kit-4mm/
Why is it that luer lock syringes are favored instead of luer slip? It appears to be widely agreed that luer lock is the way to go, yet I've used luer slip and never had problems. Is this just a matter of what someone likes, or does lock actually offer an advantage over slip?tcpnomad said:
Only 3 items are needed, honestly.
- Item: Luer-lock syringe, 3ml capacity
You want a syringe where the needle can be changed out. That is because 1 needle is used to pull the fluid into the syringe, then a different needle is used to push the fluid through the filter into the final container (vial or cartridge). The filter goes in between the syringe and that second needle. Syringes of this kind are known as luer-lock syringes, and the needles that attach to them are luer-lock (or luer-slip) needles. A larger capacity syringe (such as 3ml or 5ml) makes things simpler, since it lets you process the whole vial in 1 go.
- Item: Luer-lock needles 25G 1.5" (and optionally, 30G 0.5")
For drawing - 25G 1.5" needles make it easier to reach all the fluid sitting at the bottom of the vials, and the thicker gauge resists bending (and gives better flow).
For dispensing - a 30G needle prevents coring in the destination vial or cartridge. But many people simply use the 25G needles for both jobs.
For venting - a 30G needle prevents coring. Mostly required for cartridges, though it can also be used with vials.
- Item: Sterile Syringe Filter, type PES, Diameter 13mm, Pore Size 0.22μm
The pore size is the key spec (for filtering out the bacteria). The 13mm size strikes a good balance between ease of use and fluid waste from holdback. Other sizes do exist, though. Smaller ones hold back less.
These are the ones you should get. The alternative contains sodium chloride.Hello beutiful said:
This might sound silly, but the description mentions 5 vials can be handled, yet it includes 2 bottles of BAC water at 30 ml each. Too bad international shipping isn’t offered.BNLFL said:
I came across that some time ago, though it only handles 5 vials. That works out to more than $10 for each vial when you reconstitute and filter. It's a solid option if you're just beginning to get the hang of it. There's also a version with a 13 mm filter.Zelmar702 said:
check out a frequently referenced supplier - Underground supply - they offer several all-in-one kit choices, with prices reaching $54.00. It covers nearly all the essentials for beginning.
https://www.undergroundsupply.shop/product/starter-filtering-kit-4mm/
The needles I possess fit both criteria.Fostradamus said:
Why is it that luer lock syringes are favored instead of luer slip? It appears to be widely agreed that luer lock is the way to go, yet I've used luer slip and never had problems. Is this just a matter of what someone likes, or does lock actually offer an advantage over slip?tcpnomad said:
Only 3 items are needed, honestly.
- Item: Luer-lock syringe, 3ml capacity
You want a syringe where the needle can be changed out. That is because 1 needle is used to pull the fluid into the syringe, then a different needle is used to push the fluid through the filter into the final container (vial or cartridge). The filter goes in between the syringe and that second needle. Syringes of this kind are known as luer-lock syringes, and the needles that attach to them are luer-lock (or luer-slip) needles. A larger capacity syringe (such as 3ml or 5ml) makes things simpler, since it lets you process the whole vial in 1 go.
- Item: Luer-lock needles 25G 1.5" (and optionally, 30G 0.5")
For drawing - 25G 1.5" needles make it easier to reach all the fluid sitting at the bottom of the vials, and the thicker gauge resists bending (and gives better flow).
For dispensing - a 30G needle prevents coring in the destination vial or cartridge. But many people simply use the 25G needles for both jobs.
For venting - a 30G needle prevents coring. Mostly required for cartridges, though it can also be used with vials.
- Item: Sterile Syringe Filter, type PES, Diameter 13mm, Pore Size 0.22μm
The pore size is the key spec (for filtering out the bacteria). The 13mm size strikes a good balance between ease of use and fluid waste from holdback. Other sizes do exist, though. Smaller ones hold back less.
From what I understand, when you're dealing with the pressure that builds up while filtering, the lock style is the more secure option. What's interesting, though, is that the filter comes with a lock fitting on one end and a slip fitting on the other. Possibly that's because one side sees significantly greater pressure.Fostradamus said:
Why is it that luer lock syringes are favored instead of luer slip? It appears to be widely agreed that luer lock is the way to go, yet I've used luer slip and never had problems. Is this just a matter of what someone likes, or does lock actually offer an advantage over slip?tcpnomad said:
Only 3 items are needed, honestly.
- Item: Luer-lock syringe, 3ml capacity
You want a syringe where the needle can be changed out. That is because 1 needle is used to pull the fluid into the syringe, then a different needle is used to push the fluid through the filter into the final container (vial or cartridge). The filter goes in between the syringe and that second needle. Syringes of this kind are known as luer-lock syringes, and the needles that attach to them are luer-lock (or luer-slip) needles. A larger capacity syringe (such as 3ml or 5ml) makes things simpler, since it lets you process the whole vial in 1 go.
- Item: Luer-lock needles 25G 1.5" (and optionally, 30G 0.5")
For drawing - 25G 1.5" needles make it easier to reach all the fluid sitting at the bottom of the vials, and the thicker gauge resists bending (and gives better flow).
For dispensing - a 30G needle prevents coring in the destination vial or cartridge. But many people simply use the 25G needles for both jobs.
For venting - a 30G needle prevents coring. Mostly required for cartridges, though it can also be used with vials.
- Item: Sterile Syringe Filter, type PES, Diameter 13mm, Pore Size 0.22μm
The pore size is the key spec (for filtering out the bacteria). The 13mm size strikes a good balance between ease of use and fluid waste from holdback. Other sizes do exist, though. Smaller ones hold back less.
A 5 vial kit is available there too, priced at $25 without the Hospira. As a starter kit, that isn't a terrible deal.BNLFL said:
I came across that some time ago, though it only handles 5 vials. That works out to more than $10 for each vial when you reconstitute and filter. It's a solid option if you're just beginning to get the hang of it. There's also a version with a 13 mm filter.Zelmar702 said:
check out a frequently referenced supplier - Underground supply - they offer several all-in-one kit choices, with prices reaching $54.00. It covers nearly all the essentials for beginning.
https://www.undergroundsupply.shop/product/starter-filtering-kit-4mm/
I appreciate the video—it seems useful <3yobculture said:
When I was just getting into it, the simplest route for me was to pick up this kit and work from there. It comes with a really good instructional video, and the kit bundles all the necessary supplies together. The cost is on the high side, but after you've got the items in your possession, you can buy them one by one for less money. Since I learn best visually, a written list wouldn't have helped me. I needed to actually hold the items. For a beginner, this kit worked really well.
Below is the video that walks through everything included in their starter kit:
View: https://youtu.be/9YBj26vpHs0?is=SEvaMhczO6BTsWMV
Having a list is okay. What I was getting at is that I prefer being able to physically handle the products. Take, for instance, receiving eight Hypodermic Needles 25g 5/8" or four 3mL Luer Lock Syringes. Being able to look at them directly and hold them is what I enjoy. That lets me track down identical products at lower prices from other websites. (Diamedstore, as one example.) For most people, a list is perfectly adequate. I'm simply very visual, and I like having tangible items spread out in front of me. That's exactly what I did after purchasing this kit. I put every piece out and searched for each one online, confirming I had a precise match, and I located all of it for a lot less money somewhere else. Still, for someone just starting out, it's an excellent kit. The video is also okay, apart from the section where he attaches a filter to the vent needle. Given that he simply introduces air into every one of his vials regardless, there's no logic to it. Could it be that his goal is just to move more filters?DaisyCloud said:
I appreciate the video—it seems useful <3yobculture said:
When I was just getting into it, the simplest route for me was to pick up this kit and work from there. It comes with a really good instructional video, and the kit bundles all the necessary supplies together. The cost is on the high side, but after you've got the items in your possession, you can buy them one by one for less money. Since I learn best visually, a written list wouldn't have helped me. I needed to actually hold the items. For a beginner, this kit worked really well.
Below is the video that walks through everything included in their starter kit:
View: https://youtu.be/9YBj26vpHs0?is=SEvaMhczO6BTsWMV
I'm slightly wondering what you were getting at when you said you're not a fan of lists; how did having the actual items instead of a list of them assist you more?
Ah, that way you can check things side by side as you buy! Got it.yobculture said:
Having a list is okay. What I was getting at is that I prefer being able to physically handle the products. Take, for instance, receiving eight Hypodermic Needles 25g 5/8" or four 3mL Luer Lock Syringes. Being able to look at them directly and hold them is what I enjoy. That lets me track down identical products at lower prices from other websites. (Diamedstore, as one example.) For most people, a list is perfectly adequate. I'm simply very visual, and I like having tangible items spread out in front of me. That's exactly what I did after purchasing this kit. I put every piece out and searched for each one online, confirming I had a precise match, and I located all of it for a lot less money somewhere else. Still, for someone just starting out, it's an excellent kit. The video is also okay, apart from the section where he attaches a filter to the vent needle. Given that he simply introduces air into every one of his vials regardless, there's no logic to it. Could it be that his goal is just to move more filters?DaisyCloud said:
I appreciate the video—it seems useful <3yobculture said:
When I was just getting into it, the simplest route for me was to pick up this kit and work from there. It comes with a really good instructional video, and the kit bundles all the necessary supplies together. The cost is on the high side, but after you've got the items in your possession, you can buy them one by one for less money. Since I learn best visually, a written list wouldn't have helped me. I needed to actually hold the items. For a beginner, this kit worked really well.
Below is the video that walks through everything included in their starter kit:
View: https://youtu.be/9YBj26vpHs0?is=SEvaMhczO6BTsWMV
I'm slightly wondering what you were getting at when you said you're not a fan of lists; how did having the actual items instead of a list of them assist you more?![]()