Once You Hit Your Goal Weight: Quit Suddenly or Keep Maintaining?

I believe the reason behind your weight gain matters. From what I can tell, people generally fall into 2 separate categories, and what works for one is completely wrong for the other. On top of that, each side gets seriously irritated when the other starts lecturing about whether you can stop and keep the weight off.

If your weight gain happened because you honestly had no clue about calorie density, what normal exercise looks like, what a normal portion is, or what healthy adult eating includes — vegetables, lean meats, not too much high-fat dairy, sugar, or processed stuff — and you didn't realize that most adults need to put in deliberate exercise effort to stay in shape, and since then you've overhauled your eating habits and your whole relationship with working out, and you've figured out how much food you actually need each day and it's no longer an issue... then no, there's a decent chance you WON'T put the weight back on. The reason is that food and eating were never actually your problem — what you lacked was knowledge, plus you were stuck with the terrible standard American diet (or some other country's equally terrible standard). GLP-1s can be useful for that situation, but treating that isn't really what they're for.

If your weight gain happened because you already understood all of that, you KNEW exactly how much and what you needed to eat to not be fat, and you fought it, white-knuckled it, felt hungry, bitter, and wretched, and even when you did pull yourself together and cut back on the too-much or too-calorie-dense or both for a while, you inevitably, ALWAYS fell back into it.... then yes, you likely DO need to stay on the meds permanently, because food and eating ARE a real problem for you, and these meds make it manageable so you don't relapse.

When people from these 2 groups talk to each other about "how things really are," they tend to royally tick each other off, since they aren't the same and they don't appear to realize that there are 2 different major root causes at play here.
 
randompersonrandom said:

I believe the reason behind your weight gain matters. From what I can tell, people generally fall into 2 separate categories, and what works for one is completely wrong for the other. On top of that, each side gets seriously irritated when the other starts lecturing about whether you can stop and keep the weight off.

If your weight gain happened because you honestly had no clue about calorie density, what normal exercise looks like, what a normal portion is, or what healthy adult eating includes — vegetables, lean meats, not too much high-fat dairy, sugar, or processed stuff — and you didn't realize that most adults need to put in deliberate exercise effort to stay in shape, and since then you've overhauled your eating habits and your whole relationship with working out, and you've figured out how much food you actually need each day and it's no longer an issue... then no, there's a decent chance you WON'T put the weight back on. The reason is that food and eating were never actually your problem — what you lacked was knowledge, plus you were stuck with the terrible standard American diet (or some other country's equally terrible standard). GLP-1s can be useful for that situation, but treating that isn't really what they're for.

If your weight gain happened because you already understood all of that, you KNEW exactly how much and what you needed to eat to not be fat, and you fought it, white-knuckled it, felt hungry, bitter, and wretched, and even when you did pull yourself together and cut back on the too-much or too-calorie-dense or both for a while, you inevitably, ALWAYS fell back into it.... then yes, you likely DO need to stay on the meds permanently, because food and eating ARE a real problem for you, and these meds make it manageable so you don't relapse.

When people from these 2 groups talk to each other about "how things really are," they tend to royally tick each other off, since they aren't the same and they don't appear to realize that there are 2 different major root causes at play here.
Eating is something I enjoy—big portions, and then even bigger ones...pretty sure I fall into that category... 😎 👍
 
Flash-BCR said:

randompersonrandom said:

I believe the reason behind your weight gain matters. From what I can tell, people generally fall into 2 separate categories, and what works for one is completely wrong for the other. On top of that, each side gets seriously irritated when the other starts lecturing about whether you can stop and keep the weight off.

If your weight gain happened because you honestly had no clue about calorie density, what normal exercise looks like, what a normal portion is, or what healthy adult eating includes — vegetables, lean meats, not too much high-fat dairy, sugar, or processed stuff — and you didn't realize that most adults need to put in deliberate exercise effort to stay in shape, and since then you've overhauled your eating habits and your whole relationship with working out, and you've figured out how much food you actually need each day and it's no longer an issue... then no, there's a decent chance you WON'T put the weight back on. The reason is that food and eating were never actually your problem — what you lacked was knowledge, plus you were stuck with the terrible standard American diet (or some other country's equally terrible standard). GLP-1s can be useful for that situation, but treating that isn't really what they're for.

If your weight gain happened because you already understood all of that, you KNEW exactly how much and what you needed to eat to not be fat, and you fought it, white-knuckled it, felt hungry, bitter, and wretched, and even when you did pull yourself together and cut back on the too-much or too-calorie-dense or both for a while, you inevitably, ALWAYS fell back into it.... then yes, you likely DO need to stay on the meds permanently, because food and eating ARE a real problem for you, and these meds make it manageable so you don't relapse.

When people from these 2 groups talk to each other about "how things really are," they tend to royally tick each other off, since they aren't the same and they don't appear to realize that there are 2 different major root causes at play here.
Eating is something I enjoy—big portions, and then even bigger ones...pretty sure I fall into that category... 😎 👍
Caffeine and nicotine have their hooks in me, hoarding impulses are something I fight to keep in check (it's under control, but it's a battle), binge eating disorder is part of my past, and alcoholism runs in my immediate family (it passed me by), while my extended family carries alcoholism, bulimia, and gambling problems too. Whenever people claim that obesity is largely inherited, those researchers are basically side-eyeing me and dropping their volume as they say it.

That said, I'm on board with the idea that genes play the biggest role here, because a tendency toward compulsive overdoing really does seem to be strongly inherited. (I am NOT saying your DNA somehow makes you gain weight even if all you consume is spinach and ice cubes.)
 
randompersonrandom said:

Flash-BCR said:

randompersonrandom said:

I believe the reason behind your weight gain matters. From what I can tell, people generally fall into 2 separate categories, and what works for one is completely wrong for the other. On top of that, each side gets seriously irritated when the other starts lecturing about whether you can stop and keep the weight off.

If your weight gain happened because you honestly had no clue about calorie density, what normal exercise looks like, what a normal portion is, or what healthy adult eating includes — vegetables, lean meats, not too much high-fat dairy, sugar, or processed stuff — and you didn't realize that most adults need to put in deliberate exercise effort to stay in shape, and since then you've overhauled your eating habits and your whole relationship with working out, and you've figured out how much food you actually need each day and it's no longer an issue... then no, there's a decent chance you WON'T put the weight back on. The reason is that food and eating were never actually your problem — what you lacked was knowledge, plus you were stuck with the terrible standard American diet (or some other country's equally terrible standard). GLP-1s can be useful for that situation, but treating that isn't really what they're for.

If your weight gain happened because you already understood all of that, you KNEW exactly how much and what you needed to eat to not be fat, and you fought it, white-knuckled it, felt hungry, bitter, and wretched, and even when you did pull yourself together and cut back on the too-much or too-calorie-dense or both for a while, you inevitably, ALWAYS fell back into it.... then yes, you likely DO need to stay on the meds permanently, because food and eating ARE a real problem for you, and these meds make it manageable so you don't relapse.

When people from these 2 groups talk to each other about "how things really are," they tend to royally tick each other off, since they aren't the same and they don't appear to realize that there are 2 different major root causes at play here.
Eating is something I enjoy—big portions, and then even bigger ones...pretty sure I fall into that category... 😎 👍
Caffeine and nicotine have their hooks in me, hoarding impulses are something I fight to keep in check (it's under control, but it's a battle), binge eating disorder is part of my past, and alcoholism runs in my immediate family (it passed me by), while my extended family carries alcoholism, bulimia, and gambling problems too. Whenever people claim that obesity is largely inherited, those researchers are basically side-eyeing me and dropping their volume as they say it.

That said, I'm on board with the idea that genes play the biggest role here, because a tendency toward compulsive overdoing really does seem to be strongly inherited. (I am NOT saying your DNA somehow makes you gain weight even if all you consume is spinach and ice cubes.)
When I arrived, I had pyloric stenosis... my body rejected food, so rather than putting on pounds, I dropped weight during infancy... from what I understand, it took a few months before they identified the issue and operated to correct it. Even now, more than 68 years later, a 6" scar remains on my chest 😳... anyway, it goes without saying that once I got another chance at eating, I consumed like a ravenous baby and packed on pounds so quickly that just 2-3 months after the surgery, they had to put me on a diet... I've always excused my large appetite by blaming my fragile 'infant condition'. Staying active for most of my life kept things from spiraling too far, but over these last couple three years, my weight and health were clearly heading in a bad direction... GLPs turned out to be exactly what I required...
 
tcpnomad said:

Isn't it true that the majority of individuals need to keep taking a maintenance dose indefinitely?
That could be the case. Still, I'm keeping it as a possibility in my head. For maintenance, I take 2mg/week of Tirz. Usually hunger would show up by day 4 or 5. Right now, I'm nearly through day 6 post-injection and it feels like day 2. The last few days were unusually hot here. Yesterday the temperature hit 41°C. That's not normal for Belgium. Maybe the heat is why I'm not hungry, or maybe I'm starting to adapt to it. Either way, it gives me hope. Soon I'll start stretching the interval to 8 days, then 9 days... and so on. I'll find out whether I can handle it. If it doesn't work, it's right there within my reach. It's worth a try.
 
Even if the weight loss part weren't there, the anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects would keep me on this for life.
 
skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

Isn't it true that the majority of individuals need to keep taking a maintenance dose indefinitely?
That could be the case. Still, I'm keeping it as a possibility in my head. For maintenance, I take 2mg/week of Tirz. Usually hunger would show up by day 4 or 5. Right now, I'm nearly through day 6 post-injection and it feels like day 2. The last few days were unusually hot here. Yesterday the temperature hit 41°C. That's not normal for Belgium. Maybe the heat is why I'm not hungry, or maybe I'm starting to adapt to it. Either way, it gives me hope. Soon I'll start stretching the interval to 8 days, then 9 days... and so on. I'll find out whether I can handle it. If it doesn't work, it's right there within my reach. It's worth a try.
That tracks. My guess is the smartest route would be a slow step-down, the same way you eased upward in the first place — and if the scale starts climbing, simply return to the previous dose that held things steady. It might even be worth testing this periodically, purely to find the lowest dose that still does the job right now. Those who are fortunate could perhaps taper all the way to nothing!
 
ladyj779 said:

Even if the weight loss part weren't there, the anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects would keep me on this for life.
Right — I keep overlooking how many other advantages these medications offer. That's a fair point.
 
Monjay said:

bay_area_schizo said:

given how much my fat ass enjoys eating, I'm ready to stay on a maintenance dose forever
Reta has delivered strong results for me up to this point. Beyond the fat loss, there's been a side effect I didn't anticipate. Maybe others have gone through the same thing, but the mental haze I used to have is basically gone now that I'm on it. My productivity and drive are way higher than they were before, back when brain fog was a constant problem and I struggled to find any motivation to finish tasks.
The mental cloudiness thing—I get it. Mine's gone way down too. Some of that's the glp, some is the epitalon. Honestly, I think a huge chunk came from the food noise finally shutting up. Come see us... brains working and everything 🧠🤯
 
Flash-BCR said:


I just had a weight conversation this morning with, "she who must be obeyed"...I mentioned I am almost below 200lbs now and she assumed I would stop there...My goal weight has always been 190 so that I have plenty of buffer so that I never go over 200 again. Thus the plan of staying on GLPs...10 years ago, I came back from 2 1/2 month backpacking adventure at 170lbs and she repeated she doesn't want to be with a 'skinny man'...so she's worried my well known obsessions are just for a weight loss spiral down...I have explained it is all about being a healthier old man and all that good goes with that...but I am sure she is keeping an eye on me... 😎

You are probably right about not being able to eat more without coming down on dose, but I don't want weight to start being a run away truck heading downhill (or uphill as the case may be)...without tirz/reta pressing firmly on the brakes...👍

Click to expand...
My husband keeps asking me when I'll be done dropping pounds. He says I ought to quit at this point. Um, absolutely not! I haven't even gotten below 200 pounds so far. My guess is he'd rather I stay big so that other guys won't check me out.
 
TeresaHip said:


My husband always asking when I'm going to stop losing weight. He tells me I should stop now. Ummm no! I'm not even under 200 pounds yet. I think he wants to keep me heavy so no man will look at me.

Click to expand...
It's genuinely bizarre when family members push someone to quit before they've even reached a healthy weight. Nobody in my close circle did that to me, but a handful of coworkers—who meant well rather than being nasty—got worried and voiced it, and naturally my aunt is acting like she cares. Seeing someone else lose weight truly unsettles people.
 
All my life, I've leaned toward poor habits. Finding out that Tirzepatide and Retatrutide curb my appetite and also soften several of my other weaknesses was a genuine relief.

As of now, I've got roughly 20 kilos (about 44 lbs) still to shed. When I approach my target weight, my plan is to tweak my doses until I land on a maintenance balance.

And naturally, stock up enough to cover 10 years 🥳
 
Tirzepitide is something I'll be on forever. Once I get there, I'll figure out what maintenance dose works. So many parts of my life have improved thanks to it. My sleep apnea has gotten so much better that I'll probably ditch my CPAP, my lupus is in remission since it lowers inflammation, I'm no longer classified as diabetic because it's fully controlled, my BP is normal and I've gone from 3 meds down to 1, and my anxiety and depression have improved so much that I no longer worry about people staring, since I don't weigh 398 pounds anymore. It's helped in so many ways, letting me have a life instead of burying my feelings.

Also, I recall a period when insurance stopped covering ozempic for a few months and I had to quit it. Before I found grey, I put back on 30 pounds.

For me, Tirzepatide has genuinely been a life-changing miracle! Never once have I considered doing crazy stuff because life felt so miserable.
 
randompersonrandom said:


That thing with loved ones trying to tell people to stop when they're not yet at a healthy weight is so wild. It didn't happen to me with anyone inner circle, but a few (well-meaning, not mean spirited) coworkers were alarmed and said it, and of course my aunt is pretending to be concerned. Weight loss in others really freaks people out.

Click to expand...
My wife acts the same way, though let her know I'll ease off before long. When I cross paths with folks I haven't run into for some time, a few wonder whether I'm unwell. My answer is simply that I'm dieting.
 
The way people think really is something else. Researchers haven't nailed down yet what sets it off. (Take this as an example) Gin, I miss it! I figure I'll take a break (once more) Have a good time in ways that aren't exactly good for me. I'll be gone for a very long time, so . . . . I bet down the road they'll invent newer and improved stuff.
 
tcpnomad said:

skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

Isn't it true that the majority of individuals need to keep taking a maintenance dose indefinitely?
That could be the case. Still, I'm keeping it as a possibility in my head. For maintenance, I take 2mg/week of Tirz. Usually hunger would show up by day 4 or 5. Right now, I'm nearly through day 6 post-injection and it feels like day 2. The last few days were unusually hot here. Yesterday the temperature hit 41°C. That's not normal for Belgium. Maybe the heat is why I'm not hungry, or maybe I'm starting to adapt to it. Either way, it gives me hope. Soon I'll start stretching the interval to 8 days, then 9 days... and so on. I'll find out whether I can handle it. If it doesn't work, it's right there within my reach. It's worth a try.
That tracks. My guess is the smartest route would be a slow step-down, the same way you eased upward in the first place — and if the scale starts climbing, simply return to the previous dose that held things steady. It might even be worth testing this periodically, purely to find the lowest dose that still does the job right now. Those who are fortunate could perhaps taper all the way to nothing!
Appreciate the input, mate. Titrating down hadn't crossed my mind, since I'm already on 2mg/week of tirz. My starting dose was 2.5mg. Still, I could attempt reducing by .5mg at a time. I've got a few more weeks to deal with my belly fat. After that, I'll test it out.
 
skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

Isn't it true that the majority of individuals need to keep taking a maintenance dose indefinitely?
That could be the case. Still, I'm keeping it as a possibility in my head. For maintenance, I take 2mg/week of Tirz. Usually hunger would show up by day 4 or 5. Right now, I'm nearly through day 6 post-injection and it feels like day 2. The last few days were unusually hot here. Yesterday the temperature hit 41°C. That's not normal for Belgium. Maybe the heat is why I'm not hungry, or maybe I'm starting to adapt to it. Either way, it gives me hope. Soon I'll start stretching the interval to 8 days, then 9 days... and so on. I'll find out whether I can handle it. If it doesn't work, it's right there within my reach. It's worth a try.
That tracks. My guess is the smartest route would be a slow step-down, the same way you eased upward in the first place — and if the scale starts climbing, simply return to the previous dose that held things steady. It might even be worth testing this periodically, purely to find the lowest dose that still does the job right now. Those who are fortunate could perhaps taper all the way to nothing!
Appreciate the input, mate. Titrating down hadn't crossed my mind, since I'm already on 2mg/week of tirz. My starting dose was 2.5mg. Still, I could attempt reducing by .5mg at a time. I've got a few more weeks to deal with my belly fat. After that, I'll test it out.
Seriously — 2.5mg was enough for you to drop all that weight? Impressive.
 
Monjay said:

Once your target weight is reached, did you just stop cold turkey, or are you planning to keep using it over the long term as maintenance?

Honestly, this question has been on my mind quite a bit. I can't decide if I should simply quit cold turkey the moment I hit my goal weight, or instead slowly taper down to the smallest dose that still works and remain on it long-term for maintenance.

I'd like you to miss 1 injection, giving you a 2-week break. Come back and tell us what happens. Bit by bit, food began to seem much more appealing, and my appetite kept climbing higher and higher right up until the next dose was due.
 
I plan to stay on it for life. When I reach my target weight, my approach will be to tweak the dose until I find the level that holds me steady. I also have T2, currently in remission. Because of damage to my pancreas, my a1C is probably going to rise over time. Keeping up a maintenance dose ought to help keep that under control, and that's true even though I already eat as if the diabetes were not in remission. My numbers used to sit at 5.5 and 5.6 without fail. These days they're 5.4 or lower.
 
tcpnomad said:

skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

skaylife said:

tcpnomad said:

Isn't it true that the majority of individuals need to keep taking a maintenance dose indefinitely?
That could be the case. Still, I'm keeping it as a possibility in my head. For maintenance, I take 2mg/week of Tirz. Usually hunger would show up by day 4 or 5. Right now, I'm nearly through day 6 post-injection and it feels like day 2. The last few days were unusually hot here. Yesterday the temperature hit 41°C. That's not normal for Belgium. Maybe the heat is why I'm not hungry, or maybe I'm starting to adapt to it. Either way, it gives me hope. Soon I'll start stretching the interval to 8 days, then 9 days... and so on. I'll find out whether I can handle it. If it doesn't work, it's right there within my reach. It's worth a try.
That tracks. My guess is the smartest route would be a slow step-down, the same way you eased upward in the first place — and if the scale starts climbing, simply return to the previous dose that held things steady. It might even be worth testing this periodically, purely to find the lowest dose that still does the job right now. Those who are fortunate could perhaps taper all the way to nothing!
Appreciate the input, mate. Titrating down hadn't crossed my mind, since I'm already on 2mg/week of tirz. My starting dose was 2.5mg. Still, I could attempt reducing by .5mg at a time. I've got a few more weeks to deal with my belly fat. After that, I'll test it out.
Seriously — 2.5mg was enough for you to drop all that weight? Impressive.
That's not accurate. I began at 2.5mg. After 4 weeks I moved up to 5mg, and that 5mg stayed my dose for the entire time. For the past 4 weeks I've been on a 2mg maintenance dose. Over 36 weeks I lost 28kg. There were a few plateaus along the way, but I never increased the dose. Every time, things picked back up after a few weeks. My guess is my body required that time to adjust to living at that weight.

SW: 102kg

CW: 74kg
 
Back
Top