randompersonrandom said:
I had written out an entire account of how I came across my xiphoid process — I was in bed, half-watching dumb YouTube clips, and since I've never been at a "normal" weight until now, whenever I get sleepy my hands drift to spots on my body where I'd never noticed a bone before (ribcage, hip, wrists, shoulders, etc). Right as I was drifting off, I felt a bone sitting directly beneath the sternum, named the "xiphoid process" — an odd name for a bone — and it has the same feel as the top of a chicken leg. That snapped me wide awake and sent me straight into a massive panic, because I had no idea it was a bone; I was convinced it was a tumor and that I'd soon be dead. I was close to crying, searching my 5-year survival odds for abdominal cancer, when it hit me that I'd ALSO taken my hip bone for cancer the first time I noticed it, before learning a bone belonged there.
I had typed the whole damn thing out under "Weight loss," planning to call it "New weight loss milestone unlocked," and then the site went BACK down, so I said fuck it and drove to Walmart for another box of hair dye.