No change on the scale for 2 weeks — vial issue or normal stall?

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
My suggestion wasn’t to consume larger amounts of anything except protein. And getting enough protein even without hunger helps protect against losing muscle and hair, along with other issues. During the phase when I had zero appetite, I dropped the bulk of my weight, and I made myself drink 3 protein shakes every day to hit my protein target. Once that was done, I stopped worrying about it. Malnutrition is a genuine problem and it’s miserable, so denying yourself food simply because you don’t feel hungry is not the same as ensuring you hit a few essential nutritional benchmarks.
 
cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



1b1fae632f0abaf567c2c26e28689ec952206b7943723bd68fbf290f6e597b81.jpg




Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

3f1e15bfec534512b23db6aab88146ed115b14b74a14729a896e2f6053b8de0e.png



giving.massgeneral.org



8db11b5d37bd7229e7f0765f307e8900701d2d6eb6eae8ec03fd8cdb619c3d19.jpg




6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

6d6978cbd523b5a9eee76e25e12a852a08e902fd53742ee51a9af909a62be757.png



health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
 

Attachments

  • 2b8e13466f5bd1706c3b91681ff3aeca8790377f29a62d2ee0c68e1a87437cdb.jpg
    2b8e13466f5bd1706c3b91681ff3aeca8790377f29a62d2ee0c68e1a87437cdb.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3e79e7b78dc8047bcb103962590a2573266d597c36183465dc1930c689b604e1.jpg
    3e79e7b78dc8047bcb103962590a2573266d597c36183465dc1930c689b604e1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 6
deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
I get what you mean. Stress was probably a big factor in my hair shedding, but dropping so much weight so fast through unintentional starvation definitely left me with vitamin deficiencies that I'm sure played a part too. It was kind of a perfect storm — everything piled on top of each other, and my hair was one of the visible signals of how badly my body was suffering. From what I remember, whenever I did manage to eat back then, it was something like a poptart or icecream. I'd quit sitting down for family meals and so on, so whatever I did get in me wasn't nutritious. Bad news all around.
 

Attachments

  • 1b1fae632f0abaf567c2c26e28689ec952206b7943723bd68fbf290f6e597b81.jpg
    1b1fae632f0abaf567c2c26e28689ec952206b7943723bd68fbf290f6e597b81.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 3f1e15bfec534512b23db6aab88146ed115b14b74a14729a896e2f6053b8de0e.png
    3f1e15bfec534512b23db6aab88146ed115b14b74a14729a896e2f6053b8de0e.png
    464 bytes · Views: 6
  • 8db11b5d37bd7229e7f0765f307e8900701d2d6eb6eae8ec03fd8cdb619c3d19.jpg
    8db11b5d37bd7229e7f0765f307e8900701d2d6eb6eae8ec03fd8cdb619c3d19.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 6d6978cbd523b5a9eee76e25e12a852a08e902fd53742ee51a9af909a62be757.png
    6d6978cbd523b5a9eee76e25e12a852a08e902fd53742ee51a9af909a62be757.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 6
Losing 19 lbs across 9 weeks and then seeing the scale sit still for 2 weeks is completely ordinary — you can disregard it. Day-to-day weight swings of a kilo or 2 in either direction are driven by fluid, and early on a lot of the drop — as much as 10 lbs — comes from fluid as stored liver glycogen gets used up and the water bound to those glycogen molecules is flushed out. Eventually fluid balance shifts again, and that is probably the phase you are in right now.

If your daily calorie intake has stayed the same through those 2 weeks, fat loss is almost certainly still happening no matter what the scale shows. Real GLP-related plateaus tend to arrive around a year in, not at 9 weeks. And the drop in energy expenditure caused by weight loss isn't a big factor when the change is under 10%. If you want some evidence of progress, waist circumference is an option, though it isn't very precise — how tightly you pull the tape can shift the reading by a few cm. Still, if a calorie deficit was producing loss before and nothing about that has changed, the scale will eventually reflect it.

On whether to go up in dose right now, the deciding factors are mostly your side effects and how much weight you still want to shed. The more severe the obesity and the longer it has persisted, the more reason there is to move doses upward toward 15mg — especially if obesity is causing health problems or overall cardiovascular risk is elevated. I don't have enough information to guess beyond that; all I can see is a starting weight of 207lbs, with no age, height or related health conditions.
 
deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
The original post wasn't making a point about eating three meals daily. Its point was just that consuming too little food can halt weight loss and lead to other health issues. I never claimed that eating 3 meals a day is something everyone has to do. For this particular person, it was only a suggestion.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
So you're agreeing that there's a minimum calorie intake people should hit, and in your example that number is 1200?
 
cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
The original post wasn't making a point about eating three meals daily. Its point was just that consuming too little food can halt weight loss and lead to other health issues. I never claimed that eating 3 meals a day is something everyone has to do. For this particular person, it was only a suggestion.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
So you're agreeing that there's a minimum calorie intake people should hit, and in your example that number is 1200?
No, that doesn't have to be the case. Right now my intake ranges from 50 to 700 calories daily (interspersed with stretches where I take in 1000-1200), and I'm hoping to keep this up for another 2-3 months. I've also run 200-400 calorie diets in the past for roughly 2 month stretches without any harm — actually, once the first few weeks of low energy pass, skin, hair, energy and every health marker get better. I wouldn't tell someone online to do this, though, since you can't know whether they have some uncommon underlying condition that turns it dangerous for them. My point is only that missing a meal here and there isn't going to kill you.

I'd want to see actual evidence that undereating stalls weight loss. Not guidance from some organization or one doctor's personal opinion — a real study pitting a group on, say, 1200 calories a day against a group on 700 calories a day, showing the 700 calorie group sheds less weight once this supposed "scarcity mode" kicks in. A claim that big should require equally big evidence, and I don't believe I've ever come across any.
 
deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
The original post wasn't making a point about eating three meals daily. Its point was just that consuming too little food can halt weight loss and lead to other health issues. I never claimed that eating 3 meals a day is something everyone has to do. For this particular person, it was only a suggestion.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
So you're agreeing that there's a minimum calorie intake people should hit, and in your example that number is 1200?
No, that doesn't have to be the case. Right now my intake ranges from 50 to 700 calories daily (interspersed with stretches where I take in 1000-1200), and I'm hoping to keep this up for another 2-3 months. I've also run 200-400 calorie diets in the past for roughly 2 month stretches without any harm — actually, once the first few weeks of low energy pass, skin, hair, energy and every health marker get better. I wouldn't tell someone online to do this, though, since you can't know whether they have some uncommon underlying condition that turns it dangerous for them. My point is only that missing a meal here and there isn't going to kill you.

I'd want to see actual evidence that undereating stalls weight loss. Not guidance from some organization or one doctor's personal opinion — a real study pitting a group on, say, 1200 calories a day against a group on 700 calories a day, showing the 700 calorie group sheds less weight once this supposed "scarcity mode" kicks in. A claim that big should require equally big evidence, and I don't believe I've ever come across any.
No one claimed that it would. The OP said she goes most of the day without eating, deals with low energy, and "Usually my first meal is at dinner and a snack before bed. Sometimes a snack in the late morning. I've been eating mainly salmon or chicken everyday." That's not the same as occasionally missing a meal or 2.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
The original post wasn't making a point about eating three meals daily. Its point was just that consuming too little food can halt weight loss and lead to other health issues. I never claimed that eating 3 meals a day is something everyone has to do. For this particular person, it was only a suggestion.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
So you're agreeing that there's a minimum calorie intake people should hit, and in your example that number is 1200?
No, that doesn't have to be the case. Right now my intake ranges from 50 to 700 calories daily (interspersed with stretches where I take in 1000-1200), and I'm hoping to keep this up for another 2-3 months. I've also run 200-400 calorie diets in the past for roughly 2 month stretches without any harm — actually, once the first few weeks of low energy pass, skin, hair, energy and every health marker get better. I wouldn't tell someone online to do this, though, since you can't know whether they have some uncommon underlying condition that turns it dangerous for them. My point is only that missing a meal here and there isn't going to kill you.

I'd want to see actual evidence that undereating stalls weight loss. Not guidance from some organization or one doctor's personal opinion — a real study pitting a group on, say, 1200 calories a day against a group on 700 calories a day, showing the 700 calorie group sheds less weight once this supposed "scarcity mode" kicks in. A claim that big should require equally big evidence, and I don't believe I've ever come across any.
How the studies were designed isn't something I control, but the first one lines up fairly closely with what you described. Worth pointing out that the term they typically use is "adaptive thermogenesis" instead of the colloquial "scarcity mode".


https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000291652204494X#:~:text=Pages%20167%2D172-,Controlled%20trial%20of%20the%20metabolic%20effects%20of%20a%20very%2Dlow,after%20consumption%20of%20a%20VLCD.





Adaptive thermogenesis driving catch-up fat during weight regain: a role for skeletal muscle hypothyroidism and a risk for sarcopenic obesity - PMC



Across the spectrum of weight regain, ranging from cachexia rehabilitation and catch-up growth to obesity relapse, the recovery rate of body fat is often disproportionate relative to lean tissue recovery. Such preferential ‘catch-up fat’ is in part ...

4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov




Impact of calorie restriction on energy metabolism in humans - PMC



Calorie restriction (CR) is the most potent, non-pharmacological intervention to support metabolic health. The effects of calorie restriction exceed weight loss. Consistent throughout many studies, calorie restriction induces a reduction in energy ...

4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

https://psychiatry.duke.edu/blog/starvation-experiment

(^^This one details another well-known, and often referred-to, study which I couldn't locate the original report of)

[Edited to remove links that I accidentally pasted twice]
 
cheaperseeker said:


Nobody said it would. OP stated she fasts most of the day, struggles with energy, and "Usually my first meal is at dinner and a snack before bed. Sometimes a snack in the late morning. I've been eating mainly salmon or chicken everyday." That goes beyond skipping a meal or two occasionally.

I can't dictate how the studies were carried out, but the first one is pretty pretty close to what you specified. Please note that most of them refer to "adaptive thermogenesis", rather than the layman's term, "scarcity mode".


https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000291652204494X#:~:text=Pages%20167%2D172-,Controlled%20trial%20of%20the%20metabolic%20effects%20of%20a%20very%2Dlow,after%20consumption%20of%20a%20VLCD.





Adaptive thermogenesis driving catch-up fat during weight regain: a role for skeletal muscle hypothyroidism and a risk for sarcopenic obesity - PMC



Across the spectrum of weight regain, ranging from cachexia rehabilitation and catch-up growth to obesity relapse, the recovery rate of body fat is often disproportionate relative to lean tissue recovery. Such preferential ‘catch-up fat’ is in part ...

favicon-48x48.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov




Impact of calorie restriction on energy metabolism in humans - PMC



Calorie restriction (CR) is the most potent, non-pharmacological intervention to support metabolic health. The effects of calorie restriction exceed weight loss. Consistent throughout many studies, calorie restriction induces a reduction in energy ...

favicon-48x48.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

https://psychiatry.duke.edu/blog/starvation-experiment

(^^This one details another well-known, and often referred-to, study which I couldn't locate the original report of)

[Edited to remove links that I accidentally pasted twice]

Click to expand...
Alright. Looking at the first source you gave:

The abstract does note that during the initial weeks, participants on the low calorie diet were expending less energy. But then the fourth sentence states: "The REE [resting energy expenditure] of the VLCD [very low calorie diet] patients increased during 12 subsequent weeks of realimentation such that differences in REE between the two groups were not statistically significant at week 24. There were no significant differences between the groups in pre- to posttreatment changes in REE [resting energy expenditure] normalized to FFM [fat-free mass]."

Isn't that the opposite of what you're arguing? I can't get past the abstract since it's behind a paywall.

Now the second source:

I know about the Biggest Loser study referenced there, the one linked to adaptive thermogenesis. Those participants consumed 1200 calories daily, but they weren't fasting. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it, yet the article appears to indicate that adaptive thermogenesis happens with any weight loss, rather than being caused specifically by extreme diets?

Regarding your third source:

"Furthermore, a recent study showed that ADF [alternate day fasting] for 4 weeks did not affect RMR [resting metabolic rate], although the intervention led to reductions in energy intake (−37%) and body weight (−5%) (Stekovic et al., 2019). Similar findings have been made for the comparison between continuous CR and CR implemented every other week (Byrne et al., 2018). While the intermittent fasting approach achieved more pronounced weight loss, RMR declined less, after adjustment for changes in body mass and the mechanism for this difference is unexplored."

In essence, it reports that metabolic adaptation occurred across all calorie restriction diets, yet those including fasting (intermittent and alternate day) produced the smallest drop in resting metabolic rate. So again, that contradicts your position.

As for your fourth source, the Minnesota Starvation experiment, those subjects clearly went through something awful. However, their intake was 1570 calories per day, which counts as moderate calorie restriction rather than fasting or extreme restriction. Plus, they began at normal weight (non-obese), so I question how well findings from dieters who were already at normal weight apply to people who are overweight.

I didn't go through every one of your links closely since that would likely take days, but from a quick look, they all appear to conclude that calorie restriction and fat loss in general trigger adaptive thermogenesis? Not that extremely low calorie diets specifically cause it while moderate calorie restriction does not?
 

Attachments

  • 4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png
    4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 6
Fine, you've got a point. A study that spells out precisely the phrasing you're after, in that exact sequence, simply isn't out there.

And you haven't delivered the thing I asked you for either: proof that under-eating over a long stretch doesn't lead to weight loss plateaus, "Not some organization or a particular doctor's personal suggestions, an actual study".

I've burned more than enough time already getting pulled into these back-and-forth loops. I'm done with this.
 
When a lot of weight has already come off, metabolic adaptation becomes a genuine and major factor: it restricts further loss and raises the chance of regaining. From my own experience, energy expenditure fell roughly 50% between the start at 145kg and the finish at 75kg. At first, around 1600 kcal/day produced about 6kg of loss each month; 12 to 14 months afterward, that same calorie intake led to 0 kg per month, with no change at all in how much I was eating.

I'm not sure how much your daily calorie total actually shifts this. Total weight lost, and possibly how long you've been eating at a low intake, appear to matter more. For me, things didn't begin to slow until I reached about 90kg — that's 55kg lost, or roughly 9 months. Others may see a different pattern, but this doesn't play a big role early on; it shows up mainly near the end.
 
cheaperseeker said:

Fine, you've got a point. A study that spells out precisely the phrasing you're after, in that exact sequence, simply isn't out there.

And you haven't delivered the thing I asked you for either: proof that under-eating over a long stretch doesn't lead to weight loss plateaus, "Not some organization or a particular doctor's personal suggestions, an actual study".

I've burned more than enough time already getting pulled into these back-and-forth loops. I'm done with this.
I've never held the view that going long stretches on too few calories won't bring weight loss to a halt. My point was only that it doesn't produce more halts than eating a moderate deficit does. And you yourself already supplied everything required to back that up.

So you dumped a pile of studies you hadn't actually read, I put in the time and effort in good faith to go through them (even though it's clear you hadn't), pulled out and summed up the passages that mattered here, and it turned out they showed you were mistaken. Now, rather than adjust your view in light of the evidence given, you dig in on your (incorrect) stance, fire off a self-satisfied response, and walk away.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Whenever I ask for even a shred of support for this specific claim, that's exactly how it plays out, every single time.
 
Small update: a few days after I made this post, the scale shows 4 pounds less. I figure my system just needed to settle before releasing more weight. Appreciate everyone who chimed in with facts and level-headed advice!

With all the endo drama going around about orange cap T30, I'm now second-guessing whether the vial I used came from that same batch. Mine arrived mid Feb through a reseller. (Tydes) It was indeed orange-capped. I had awful runs and burps from it, but because those are listed as possible side effects, I brushed it off. Once I moved to a different T60 vial, though, I felt nothing at all — so much so that I started doubting it was working or dosed right, even though it was. It makes me wonder whether that earlier vial carried more endos, which could have made my side effects worse than they'd normally be. There's no way to confirm it now, but it's a curious thought.
 
Give it time. Think long game, not quick fix. There will be periods where the number stays put. Your system has to catch up with everything happening internally. You've already dropped 19 lbs. A scale can't capture the full picture.
 
lessthanhalf said:

Losing 19 lbs across 9 weeks and then seeing the scale sit still for 2 weeks is completely ordinary — you can disregard it. Day-to-day weight swings of a kilo or 2 in either direction are driven by fluid, and early on a lot of the drop — as much as 10 lbs — comes from fluid as stored liver glycogen gets used up and the water bound to those glycogen molecules is flushed out. Eventually fluid balance shifts again, and that is probably the phase you are in right now.

If your daily calorie intake has stayed the same through those 2 weeks, fat loss is almost certainly still happening no matter what the scale shows. Real GLP-related plateaus tend to arrive around a year in, not at 9 weeks. And the drop in energy expenditure caused by weight loss isn't a big factor when the change is under 10%. If you want some evidence of progress, waist circumference is an option, though it isn't very precise — how tightly you pull the tape can shift the reading by a few cm. Still, if a calorie deficit was producing loss before and nothing about that has changed, the scale will eventually reflect it.

On whether to go up in dose right now, the deciding factors are mostly your side effects and how much weight you still want to shed. The more severe the obesity and the longer it has persisted, the more reason there is to move doses upward toward 15mg — especially if obesity is causing health problems or overall cardiovascular risk is elevated. I don't have enough information to guess beyond that; all I can see is a starting weight of 207lbs, with no age, height or related health conditions.
I'm not sure how your reply slipped past me, but I'm glad I finally came across it.

Your explanation was both logical and reassuring.

A bit more context: I'm 5'7" with a build that's athletic but carrying extra weight. That said, I judge my own weight pretty harshly. Over the 16 days since I made this post, the number on the scale has gone down further, so it seems like your take was right.

SW 207 CW 181 Height 5'7"

I never measured my starting waist, but it was at least 36-38 inches. Once I got to around 195 (back when I was still gaining), I dealt with nonstop bloating that only cleared up roughly 10 days into tirz. These days my waist measures 32.5 inches. I also have autoimmune conditions that bring extra chronic fatigue, plus faulty collagen. All told, I've dropped 25 lbs across a little more than 11 weeks. Since 7.5mg is clearly working for me, I intend to remain at that dose indefinitely.

The weight came on fast for me. I'd stayed in the low 180s until spring of last year, then began eating whatever felt good and put on 25+ lbs in under a year. Before my kids were born 12 years ago, though, I hadn't been at what counts as a 'healthy weight' — no extra fluff — since then.
 
cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
I have not come across any trustworthy research showing that eating in a smaller deficit would lead to greater fat loss. Decades of studies have measured real energy expenditure, and the arithmetic consistently checks out.

The usual reason CICO appears to break down is that two things get overlooked: the drop in energy expenditure that follows weight loss, and how bad most people are at estimating their own intake. That means it is possible to stop losing on a fairly low daily intake once you are in that post-weight-loss state (which might never go away), but I have not seen anything proving that eating more would restart loss in that situation.

A very aggressive deficit producing fast weight loss can certainly bring problems. The clearest ones are dizziness, actually passing out, fatigue, exhaustion, electrolyte disturbances, and more gallstones. So dropping weight extremely quickly can harm your health.

After weight is lost, energy expenditure falls for 3 reasons. First, the fat and lean tissue that is gone no longer burns any calories, and that effect can be big when a lot of weight has come off. Second, moving a lighter body takes less energy — I am not sure how large this is in practice, but logically it has to occur. Third, the body reduces energy expenditure as it tries to hold on to energy and/or fat stores. My view is that this metabolic adaptation to low intake depends more on how much time has passed and how much total weight was lost than on how low the calories actually are.

When I began at 145 kg, before any GLP medication, I was eating 1600-1800 kcal a day, barely moving at all, and steadily lost 6kg per month until I reached roughly 90 kg — so about 9 months or so. After that, loss gradually but steadily dropped to zero across the following several months with no change in how much I ate, and it stopped at 75 kg. It stayed there for around a year or so, until I began ozempic, and it remained there for another year, all on the same intake.

This huge shift in energy expenditure did not need extreme deficits; it happened at an intake exactly matching what was needed to hold that lost weight.

Keeping weight off is brutally hard. The low energy expenditure plus the greater hunger that comes with massive weight loss left me hungry most of the time, even though my diet was built to blunt hunger — very high protein at 40-50% of calories, low calorie density, and complete avoidance of high calorie density / highly rewarding / high glycaemic index foods. That is precisely the trap that makes long term weight loss almost unattainable, yet reaching it does not demand an extra-low intake, only weight loss and possibly the duration of low intake. Fortunately GLP drugs curb hunger, so hopefully holding on to that lost weight will be achievable
 

Attachments

  • 2b8e13466f5bd1706c3b91681ff3aeca8790377f29a62d2ee0c68e1a87437cdb.jpg
    2b8e13466f5bd1706c3b91681ff3aeca8790377f29a62d2ee0c68e1a87437cdb.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 3e79e7b78dc8047bcb103962590a2573266d597c36183465dc1930c689b604e1.jpg
    3e79e7b78dc8047bcb103962590a2573266d597c36183465dc1930c689b604e1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 6
amosmylove said:

lessthanhalf said:

Losing 19 lbs across 9 weeks and then seeing the scale sit still for 2 weeks is completely ordinary — you can disregard it. Day-to-day weight swings of a kilo or 2 in either direction are driven by fluid, and early on a lot of the drop — as much as 10 lbs — comes from fluid as stored liver glycogen gets used up and the water bound to those glycogen molecules is flushed out. Eventually fluid balance shifts again, and that is probably the phase you are in right now.

If your daily calorie intake has stayed the same through those 2 weeks, fat loss is almost certainly still happening no matter what the scale shows. Real GLP-related plateaus tend to arrive around a year in, not at 9 weeks. And the drop in energy expenditure caused by weight loss isn't a big factor when the change is under 10%. If you want some evidence of progress, waist circumference is an option, though it isn't very precise — how tightly you pull the tape can shift the reading by a few cm. Still, if a calorie deficit was producing loss before and nothing about that has changed, the scale will eventually reflect it.

On whether to go up in dose right now, the deciding factors are mostly your side effects and how much weight you still want to shed. The more severe the obesity and the longer it has persisted, the more reason there is to move doses upward toward 15mg — especially if obesity is causing health problems or overall cardiovascular risk is elevated. I don't have enough information to guess beyond that; all I can see is a starting weight of 207lbs, with no age, height or related health conditions.
I'm not sure how your reply slipped past me, but I'm glad I finally came across it.

Your explanation was both logical and reassuring.

A bit more context: I'm 5'7" with a build that's athletic but carrying extra weight. That said, I judge my own weight pretty harshly. Over the 16 days since I made this post, the number on the scale has gone down further, so it seems like your take was right.

SW 207 CW 181 Height 5'7"

I never measured my starting waist, but it was at least 36-38 inches. Once I got to around 195 (back when I was still gaining), I dealt with nonstop bloating that only cleared up roughly 10 days into tirz. These days my waist measures 32.5 inches. I also have autoimmune conditions that bring extra chronic fatigue, plus faulty collagen. All told, I've dropped 25 lbs across a little more than 11 weeks. Since 7.5mg is clearly working for me, I intend to remain at that dose indefinitely.

The weight came on fast for me. I'd stayed in the low 180s until spring of last year, then began eating whatever felt good and put on 25+ lbs in under a year. Before my kids were born 12 years ago, though, I hadn't been at what counts as a 'healthy weight' — no extra fluff — since then.
Good to hear that my guesses — hopefully informed ones — about the situation turned out to be right.
 
deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
The original post wasn't making a point about eating three meals daily. Its point was just that consuming too little food can halt weight loss and lead to other health issues. I never claimed that eating 3 meals a day is something everyone has to do. For this particular person, it was only a suggestion.

deleted.user.16 said:

cheaperseeker said:

deleted.user.16 said:

Whenever someone posts about the scale not moving, the response is always the same: eat more. More food, more carbs, pile on more of everything. That advice is completely backwards.

I'm not trying to come off harsh, but that's simply not how any of this functions. What actually helps is more salad, more soup, more veggies, more movement, and fewer calories. Skipping a meal is fine, it won't hurt you. If you'd rather not skip, that's your call, but a healthy overweight adult won't suffer any damage from it. Pushing yourself to eat 3 meals daily when you have no appetite goes against every bit of common sense.
To shed pounds and remain in good health, you definitely must take in a set number of calories.

A few main takeaways from the piece linked below (and plenty of other credible articles and studies echo the same idea):

When calories are cut too drastically, the body undergoes metabolic adaptation — it responds by reducing its metabolic rate and holding onto energy, which is what brings weight loss to a halt. On top of that, such a pattern can cause muscle wasting, overwhelming tiredness, stronger food cravings, and disrupted hormones, all of which make keeping weight off over the long term much tougher.~



View attachment 10877



Why Eating Too Little Can Stall Weight Loss



Undereating doesn't accelerate fat loss — it actually decelerates it. Your metabolism requires fuel to work properly, and proper nutrition is what makes lasting progress possible. More details are available in this article.

View attachment 10878


www.weightkidneycare.com
Medical professionals do not universally agree that every person needs to eat three times daily, and that goes double for people who are already carrying extra weight. You can point to physicians who insist on three meals per day, sure — but I can point to others who say that going without meals delivers a lengthy list of health advantages.



View attachment 10881



Doctor Recommends Intermittent Fasting



Angela Fitch, MD, associate director of the Mass General Weight Center, discusses intermittent fasting and how it can help patients lose weight.

View attachment 10882


giving.massgeneral.org



View attachment 10883



6 Tips for Healthy Fasting



Fasting is common for certain religious observances and eating styles. Our expert explains how being prepared, drinking water, limiting exercise and planning for medications can help you stay healthy during your fast.

View attachment 10884


health.clevelandclinic.org

Advising a person who has hit a plateau to simply consume more food strikes me as poor guidance.

Amos, it saddens me to read about your depression, and I am relieved that things have improved for you. I too once shed half the hair on my head following an intensely stressful life event. During that very same stretch, though, I put on 20 pounds because I was overeating. At other points I have followed a severely limited diet for months on end and kept every strand. Could it be that stress is the real culprit behind hair loss? None of this rules out the possibility that undereating can trigger it — hair loss is a well-known side effect of anorexia, after all. Typically, though, that strikes people whose BMI sits around 12 or 13. A person who is significantly overweight and consumes, for instance, 1200 calories daily across 1 or 2 meals is going to be just fine. Adding food without a reason works against you.
So you're agreeing that there's a minimum calorie intake people should hit, and in your example that number is 1200?
No, that doesn't have to be the case. Right now my intake ranges from 50 to 700 calories daily (interspersed with stretches where I take in 1000-1200), and I'm hoping to keep this up for another 2-3 months. I've also run 200-400 calorie diets in the past for roughly 2 month stretches without any harm — actually, once the first few weeks of low energy pass, skin, hair, energy and every health marker get better. I wouldn't tell someone online to do this, though, since you can't know whether they have some uncommon underlying condition that turns it dangerous for them. My point is only that missing a meal here and there isn't going to kill you.

I'd want to see actual evidence that undereating stalls weight loss. Not guidance from some organization or one doctor's personal opinion — a real study pitting a group on, say, 1200 calories a day against a group on 700 calories a day, showing the 700 calorie group sheds less weight once this supposed "scarcity mode" kicks in. A claim that big should require equally big evidence, and I don't believe I've ever come across any.
I respect your take on many subjects, and you're clearly an asset to this community, so this isn't meant as an attack. That said, I believe you're too hung up on wanting a double blind control study (which is obviously the gold standard) that in these circumstances would likely never pass an ethics review. The muscle loss question works the same way. Nobody is going to run a 500 calorie deficit against a 1500 calorie deficit just to see which group sheds more muscle, because we already have solid evidence that the 1500 calorie deficit group would fare worse. Doing that would mean deliberately hurting the group assigned the bigger deficit. We've observed that people dropping weight fast on GLPs have lost as much as 40% of that weight from muscle. We also know that people at smaller deficits don't shed nearly that much muscle. The evidence is compelling even without an independent study measuring it.

So I get why the lack of gold standard research frustrates you, but I think the evidence strongly suggests that, broadly speaking, bigger deficits aren't better. What works well in your case may not hold true for most people.
 
amosmylove said:

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to GLP1s. I've been using grey Tirz for 9 weeks now. Yesterday I took my 2nd dose at 7.5mg. My starting dose 9 weeks back was 2.5mg. Over the first 7 weeks I dropped 19lbs, and the side effects stayed manageable. Burping and diarrhea were the main problems.

But for roughly 2 weeks now, my weight hasn't moved at all. I figured moving up to 7.5mg would finally get things going. On top of that, during these last 2 weeks I've felt hungrier and less full when I eat.

The thing that stands out most is that my switch to 7.5 happened at the same time I opened a new 60mg vial of Tirz. Both vials came from the same website, though the first one was 30mg. Could the 60mg vial be weaker? Or maybe the first vial carried more endotoxins, which is why my gut acted up more back then? With this new vial I've had zero stomach trouble, no burping, no loose stools.

So I'm asking what you'd do if you were me. Raise the dose, or add a midweek shot to kick something off?

I was steadily dropping around 2.5lbs per week, and now there's been nothing for over 2 weeks. I haven't eaten badly or too much at all. I'm still in a calorie deficit and I fast for most of the day. I have been pretty inactive. Energy has been a real struggle, which might be from the weight I lost in earlier months.

Starting weight 207, current weight 189.

I also just wrapped up a BPC/TB stack cycle last week. Plus a DSIP cycle.

Is it normal for nothing to change, or did I get a bad vial?
To rule out metabolic adaptation, I'd spend roughly 2 days eating above maintenance.
 
5byfive said:


I appreciate your opinion on a lot of things and you are definitely a value to the community here, so I'm definitly not trying to slam you, but I think you are too focused on seeing for some kind of double blind control study (obviously the gold standard) that probably would not be ethical under the circumstances. Its the same thing for muscle loss. For instance, you are not going to test a 500 calorie deficit vs a 1500 calorie deficit to determine which group will lose more muscle becuse we have strong evidence already that the 1500 calorie deficit group would do worse. You would be knowingly harming the group that you were putting at the larger deficit. We have seen that people rapidly losing weight in GLPs have lost up to 40% of the weight from muscle. We know that people at smaller deficits don't lose that much muscle. The evidence is strong even if it is not measured in an independent study.

So i understand your frustration at not having gold standard research but I think that there is strong evidence that in general, bigger deficits are not better. You may have something that works well for you, but I don't think it would apply to most people.

Click to expand...
Oh great, this same argument from an old thread has resurfaced. I won't have time over the next few days, but I intend to look into this properly (medium depth, perhaps) and figure out whatever is possible to learn from the extremely limited studies that exist on it. That would also help me decide what to do with my own diet. Someone give me a nudge in 7 days, ha.
 
Back
Top