woundcarping
Explorer
It comes down to how curious you are… I’m doing an initial scan and then following up as I go. I expect my next one to happen around April.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
There isn't a hard rule for timing — schedule them whenever it suits you, typically at the beginning and around the midpoint, but keep in mind that water loss will occur, so treat each scan as one data point alongside other measures such as your strength levels. Another thing to keep in mind is where the lean muscle mass was primarily lost; if it seems concentrated in the stomach region, that suggests it's mostly water, undigested food, and glycogen stored in the liver.chemstud said:
This method appeals to me. Are there any recommendations about timing for a DEXA scan? I have never had one done. For 4 weeks I have taken a low dose of Reta (1mg/wk). Appetite and alcohol suppression became noticeable. The alcohol suppression genuinely caught me off guard. I will pour a drink and it takes me ages to get through it, and I have no desire for a second one. So my drinking has clearly been reduced.lusty said:
Water retention can swing a lot on a Dexa scan — the scan is highly sensitive to hydration status, glycogen stores, how much is sitting in your gut, and inflammation. Since Reta tends to reduce inflammation, that alone can cause a big drop in retained water.
That's exactly why you shouldn't rely on a single scan. You need additional reference points: whether your lifts held steady or fell off, and tape measurements showing which areas shrank the most.
On top of that, getting protein right matters most. Even while on Reta I keep my intake at 200g daily — typically high protein, low carb, with a moderate amount of fat. And I still push hard in the gym.
Also worth doing: get your testosterone levels tested. I had mine checked prior to starting Reta and it came back low. I've since done extensive investigating — I'm subclinical, but I'm now pursuing treatment because it has hurt my capacity to gain and keep muscle. Hopefully I'll qualify for the proper treatment, since the other problems it's causing also meet the criteria, even though my numbers aren't extremely low.
Would 1mg to 2mg of Reta be seen as excessive for a beginner? I assumed that was a fairly modest/ typical initial dose.zpped said:
You went way overboard with reta in a short time, barely ate, dropped 40lbs within 2 months, and thought your muscle would stick around?
I'm not the one who started this thread, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents. My Reta dose has stayed on the lower end (1mg–1.5mg), and hitting my macro targets has been no problem at all (1500 Calories & 150grams of protein). That said, I'm only a short way in, so it's anyone's guess haha.Peptidedudez said:
On Reta, how on earth do you manage to take in 200gm of protein? Wowlusty said:
Water retention can swing a lot on a Dexa scan — the scan is highly sensitive to hydration status, glycogen stores, how much is sitting in your gut, and inflammation. Since Reta tends to reduce inflammation, that alone can cause a big drop in retained water.
That's exactly why you shouldn't rely on a single scan. You need additional reference points: whether your lifts held steady or fell off, and tape measurements showing which areas shrank the most.
On top of that, getting protein right matters most. Even while on Reta I keep my intake at 200g daily — typically high protein, low carb, with a moderate amount of fat. And I still push hard in the gym.
Also worth doing: get your testosterone levels tested. I had mine checked prior to starting Reta and it came back low. I've since done extensive investigating — I'm subclinical, but I'm now pursuing treatment because it has hurt my capacity to gain and keep muscle. Hopefully I'll qualify for the proper treatment, since the other problems it's causing also meet the criteria, even though my numbers aren't extremely low.
Nope, that's okay. However, bumping up the dose every 2 weeks while dropping a lot of weight is too much too quickly.dirtyharry said:
Would 1mg to 2mg of Reta be seen as excessive for a beginner? I assumed that was a fairly modest/ typical initial dose.zpped said:
You went way overboard with reta in a short time, barely ate, dropped 40lbs within 2 months, and thought your muscle would stick around?
Base it on your goal weight, at 1gm/lb.ChicagoFit said:
when figuring out the "correct" daily protein intake while using reta, what is the basis for the calculation?
1) Should protein per day be based on ideal body weight or current body weight?
2) What is the number of grams per pound?
3) Do age and/or the kind of exercise change the answer?
Honestly, this is a question better suited for someone with far more expertise in nutrition and exercise science than I have.ChicagoFit said:
@yrrdead how do you view protein needs shifting depending on which muscle fiber type someone is training? For someone lifting weights or bodybuilding, the fast-twitch side obviously calls for "more", but where does that leave people who are endurance focused and slow-twitch dominant? Would slow-twitch versus fast-twitch breakdown lead to a different protein requirement?
Another thing: outside of Reta, 1gm per ideal weight appears to be a widely used baseline. With Reta in the picture, does that protein requirement move at all if the goal is holding onto muscle?