My mother's first GLP-1 - which one would you pick?

European

Explorer
Joined
Jun 24, 2026
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Location
Croatia
Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
 
European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
Your thinking looks sound to me. Semaglutide is the weaker option and really only makes sense on price. That said, tirzepatide shuts appetite down remarkably well, while reta is gentler there. As far as I understand it, both deliver comparable gains in the non-diabetic and non-weight areas such as cardiovascular health, though reta edges ahead by lifting metabolic rate and going after fat more directly. I'm on tirzepatide right now and 50 lb has come off over 5 months. Tomorrow I begin reta at a low dose alongside tirzepatide to pick up those extra benefits. Once I reach my goal weight, which should be about 8 weeks away, I'll come down slightly on tirzepatide and go up slightly on reta as maintenance. My expectation is to stay on both for as long as I can see, because each one gives me something the other does not
 
On side effects Tirz has the gentler profile, and depending on what you read it's much better at quieting food noise, so it might do a better job with her evening sweet tooth? Then again, a good friend of mine runs Tirz and has the same evening snacking issue, and controlling it is proving very hard for her in spite of the Tirz.

I'm an older female as well and Tirz is something I adore, though had Reta been around back when I started? Its apparent much faster weight loss would probably have appealed. The RHR issue there still concerns me though.
 
European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
I went with tirzepatide. It lined up with what I wanted and has the reputation for hushing "food noise" best, which could work in her favour when the late-night snacking urge shows up.

It also left the door open: reta could be added further down the line. But tirzepatide was my starting point.

On the medication side, constipation is one of the usual GLP1 complaints, and both the alprazolam and the Ultracet can add to it. So that's worth keeping an eye on.

Escitalopram and fenofibrate look to be fine alongside a GLP1 as far as I can tell - though I'm no expert, that's just a quick google.

For what it's worth, I'm male, around 5'8", and my target was 185 from 226. I sailed straight past it, so your mum may get the same surprise and want to rethink her GW 🙂 I'm sitting at 164lb now.

My vote goes to tirz.
 
I know the studies everyone cites for choosing 2 mg reta as the starting dose, but my own start was 0.5 mg and it worked well. 9 months was how long it took me to titrate up to 3 mg. I'm very conservative with giving my own mother advice as well.
 
spanky2026 said:

On side effects Tirz has the gentler profile, and depending on what you read it's much better at quieting food noise, so it might do a better job with her evening sweet tooth? Then again, a good friend of mine runs Tirz and has the same evening snacking issue, and controlling it is proving very hard for her in spite of the Tirz.

I'm an older female as well and Tirz is something I adore, though had Reta been around back when I started? Its apparent much faster weight loss would probably have appealed. The RHR issue there still concerns me though.
Agree. I'm another older female. Since Jan 25 my GLP-1 of choice has been Tirz. The way Tirz quiets food noise and reduces inflammation is a real strength. What I will say is that going fast isn't always wise once you're older. Younger skin has some ability to bounce back. Hair loss and crepey skin still can't strip away the delight of being at goal weight. Dropping from 96kg to 65kg took me 8 months. Maintaining since then .. sitting a little below my original gw.

And 5'7" over here.
 
European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
My starting point was 1.25 Tirz. GI side effects did show up, though they weren't bad.

Nobody wants their opening days spent adventuring with diarrhea or constipation?
 
Vriende said:

European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
My starting point was 1.25 Tirz. GI side effects did show up, though they weren't bad.

Nobody wants their opening days spent adventuring with diarrhea or constipation?
You're right. I was Obese Class 2 back when I began Reta at the full 2mg dose, which is why starting my mom at starting dose seemed reasonable. She is barely Obese Class 1 though, thank you for your concerns — a lower starting dose before titrating up to 2.5mg is what I'll suggest.

Thanks to everyone — any further thoughts or experiences are very welcome!
 
I'm only a little younger than your mom. Tirz is where I began and I'd recommend it strongly. Reta came later, once I hit a plateau, though she might never need to switch anything since losing 20% is the target.
 
European said:

Vriende said:

European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
My starting point was 1.25 Tirz. GI side effects did show up, though they weren't bad.

Nobody wants their opening days spent adventuring with diarrhea or constipation?
You're right. I was Obese Class 2 back when I began Reta at the full 2mg dose, which is why starting my mom at starting dose seemed reasonable. She is barely Obese Class 1 though, thank you for your concerns — a lower starting dose before titrating up to 2.5mg is what I'll suggest.

Thanks to everyone — any further thoughts or experiences are very welcome!
My Tirz start was 2.5mg, the trial dose, but there is nothing wrong with being conservative if sides or purity issues worry you.

Other people begin lower and climb faster.

For example: 1mg does not have to be held for a month

Even so, millions of people, me included, began Tirz at 2.5mg

Exact real-time figures for the total number of active users on Zepbound are not publicly disclosed by manufacturer Eli Lilly. However, market data and health surveys estimate that over 16 million Americans have used injectable weight-loss and diabetes medications, with several million people prescribed tirzepatide (sold as Zepbound for weight loss and Mounjaro for type 2 diabetes) since its initial approvals

Click to expand...
 
A bmi of 30 makes Reta overkill imho. Your own situation is totally different.

Depending on what type of responder she turns out to be, Tirz may get her all the way to her final goal. Should she hit a plateau that never ends before then, elora will by that point be cheaper and easier to find, and it can be added to break the plateau and carry on with the rest of the weight loss.

Were it my mother, I would have her go to the doctor and say she wants to use glp1-agonists. That way she gets checked over before starting, and monitored across the following months. (The official prescription isn't something she has to use then, if one comes her way but she prefers grey.)

Under glp1-agonists hydration can be trickier, which makes proper hydration even more important for your mother than for people who don't take Fenofibrat.
 
One more vote for Tirz, generally the gentler of the two, over Reta.

Begin at 2.5mg and tune the dose to what works and what the sides allow.
 
Enyola said:

A bmi of 30 makes Reta overkill imho. Your own situation is totally different.

Depending on what type of responder she turns out to be, Tirz may get her all the way to her final goal. Should she hit a plateau that never ends before then, elora will by that point be cheaper and easier to find, and it can be added to break the plateau and carry on with the rest of the weight loss.

Were it my mother, I would have her go to the doctor and say she wants to use glp1-agonists. That way she gets checked over before starting, and monitored across the following months. (The official prescription isn't something she has to use then, if one comes her way but she prefers grey.)

Under glp1-agonists hydration can be trickier, which makes proper hydration even more important for your mother than for people who don't take Fenofibrat.

Which is actually exactly what I had her do. The doctor has given her a green light for Mounjaro, but checking with the forums still felt worthwhile since Retatrutide isn't something she can officially be prescribed haha.

Thank you everybody, from the bottom of my heart, for all the responses <3
 
European said:

Enyola said:

A bmi of 30 makes Reta overkill imho. Your own situation is totally different.

Depending on what type of responder she turns out to be, Tirz may get her all the way to her final goal. Should she hit a plateau that never ends before then, elora will by that point be cheaper and easier to find, and it can be added to break the plateau and carry on with the rest of the weight loss.

Were it my mother, I would have her go to the doctor and say she wants to use glp1-agonists. That way she gets checked over before starting, and monitored across the following months. (The official prescription isn't something she has to use then, if one comes her way but she prefers grey.)

Under glp1-agonists hydration can be trickier, which makes proper hydration even more important for your mother than for people who don't take Fenofibrat.

Which is actually exactly what I had her do. The doctor has given her a green light for Mounjaro, but checking with the forums still felt worthwhile since Retatrutide isn't something she can officially be prescribed haha.

Thank you everybody, from the bottom of my heart, for all the responses <3
Tirz, and her Dr can be told she's on the compounded version. Her Dr has already given her the green light for Mounjaro. That way it can be added to her charts. Compounded tirzepatide is what my PCP recommends for patients who can't afford the EL Tirz. How a Dr or the insurance company would react to someone taking Retatrutide, I don't know.

Quitting smoking is another plus Tirzepatide might give her.
 
Turbo-Farmer said:

European said:

Enyola said:

A bmi of 30 makes Reta overkill imho. Your own situation is totally different.

Depending on what type of responder she turns out to be, Tirz may get her all the way to her final goal. Should she hit a plateau that never ends before then, elora will by that point be cheaper and easier to find, and it can be added to break the plateau and carry on with the rest of the weight loss.

Were it my mother, I would have her go to the doctor and say she wants to use glp1-agonists. That way she gets checked over before starting, and monitored across the following months. (The official prescription isn't something she has to use then, if one comes her way but she prefers grey.)

Under glp1-agonists hydration can be trickier, which makes proper hydration even more important for your mother than for people who don't take Fenofibrat.

Which is actually exactly what I had her do. The doctor has given her a green light for Mounjaro, but checking with the forums still felt worthwhile since Retatrutide isn't something she can officially be prescribed haha.

Thank you everybody, from the bottom of my heart, for all the responses <3
Tirz, and her Dr can be told she's on the compounded version. Her Dr has already given her the green light for Mounjaro. That way it can be added to her charts. Compounded tirzepatide is what my PCP recommends for patients who can't afford the EL Tirz. How a Dr or the insurance company would react to someone taking Retatrutide, I don't know.

Quitting smoking is another plus Tirzepatide might give her.





57fd8edacf600fe2be41d9b9e388b8a8606236311c34b126454c9bf8c2f50dca.webp
 
Turbo-Farmer said:

European said:

Enyola said:

A bmi of 30 makes Reta overkill imho. Your own situation is totally different.

Depending on what type of responder she turns out to be, Tirz may get her all the way to her final goal. Should she hit a plateau that never ends before then, elora will by that point be cheaper and easier to find, and it can be added to break the plateau and carry on with the rest of the weight loss.

Were it my mother, I would have her go to the doctor and say she wants to use glp1-agonists. That way she gets checked over before starting, and monitored across the following months. (The official prescription isn't something she has to use then, if one comes her way but she prefers grey.)

Under glp1-agonists hydration can be trickier, which makes proper hydration even more important for your mother than for people who don't take Fenofibrat.

Which is actually exactly what I had her do. The doctor has given her a green light for Mounjaro, but checking with the forums still felt worthwhile since Retatrutide isn't something she can officially be prescribed haha.

Thank you everybody, from the bottom of my heart, for all the responses <3
Tirz, and her Dr can be told she's on the compounded version. Her Dr has already given her the green light for Mounjaro. That way it can be added to her charts. Compounded tirzepatide is what my PCP recommends for patients who can't afford the EL Tirz. How a Dr or the insurance company would react to someone taking Retatrutide, I don't know.

Quitting smoking is another plus Tirzepatide might give her.
My doctor prescribed it compounded, but the price was a bit much…so I switched to grey, and at a recent office visit the NP wanted to know if I was still on Tirz…When I said compounded, her answer was "I like compounded"… 👍
 
A family member of mine started on Zepbound recently, helped by me, and pinning twice a week at half the starting dose suited them fine. Two weekly pins at 5mg is where they are now, with zero side effects. 10 pounds down, and they're thrilled about deciding to take a GLP1.
 
European said:

Which GLP-1 should my mother go on?

I'd like help working out which GLP-1 suits my mum best. The basics I already know, so what I'm really after is how the people here would read her particular situation as a whole.

THE BASICS

Age/sex: female, 54

Height: 5'7"

Current weight: 194 lbs / 88 kg

Goal weight: 154 lbs / 70 kg

Blood pressure: Fine

Heart rate: Fine

Hormones: Currently fine

History: Hysterectomy roughly 3 years back

GLP-1 history: No GLP-1, and no weight-loss drug or programme, ever

MEDICATIONS & CONDITIONS

ADHD + BPD: Diagnosed with both, never treated with medication for either one specifically

Escitalopram: 10 mg every day

Fenofibrate: Taken for LDL cholesterol

Alprazolam: Now and then

Doreta/Ultracet: Now and then, for back and spine pain

LIFESTYLE

Activity: On her feet a fair amount at work, otherwise she sits most of the day

Eating habits: Tends to overeat in the evening, sweets above all

Smoking: 1 pack a day, more or less

Caffeine: 4-5 coffees a day at minimum

She has researched GLP-1s herself, has watched what it did for me, and trusts me completely to make the call. That leaves me in a difficult spot, because picking for someone else carries a very different weight than picking for myself.

Given all of the above, which GLP-1 would you go with?

MY CURRENT THINKING

Left to myself I would reach for tirzepatide: it is well established, behaves predictably, and delivers outstanding weight loss. Yet retatrutide appeals to me a great deal as well.

I ran retatrutide for 9 weeks and dropped around 26.5 lbs / 12 kg, and I noticed gains that went beyond appetite and food noise. It worked well enough for me that I don't want her to miss out on the same possibility.

There is also my feeling that starting on tirzepatide and switching to retatrutide afterwards would make the changeover and the dosing clumsier than simply beginning with retatrutide.

On starting doses I had 2 mg retatrutide or 2.5 mg tirzepatide in mind. I'd like your view on those numbers as well.

So it really comes down to tirzepatide against retatrutide. Is there any real argument for taking semaglutide seriously instead?

If she were your mother, which GLP-1 and which starting dose would you pick, and what is your reasoning?
I've just been through the same decision for my Dad. At 76 he is well ahead of your Mum in years. I put him on tirzepatide, because reta has the potential to push heart rate up. He would arguably do better on reta - most of his excess is visceral fat, and his doctor says his heart is in good shape - but he wears compression socks for the swelling in his legs, and that is a risk I was not willing to run.

All the same, your Mum is 2 years older than I am, and apart from the fact that I still have my uterus, her profile reads almost word for word like mine. I have been on reta 8 months now and it has treated me well. Anhedonia may turn out to be a problem, though by all accounts tirzepatide carries that one too. Raised heart rate and dysesthesia never bothered me, beyond an occasional brief burning feeling that passes quickly. Where reta has made a real difference for me is sugar: the cravings are gone. Eating one cookie rather than four is now genuinely possible. It has not dented my urge to smoke, although I have heard of others where it did. I am aware reta does not suppress appetite as forcefully as tirzepatide, but at 6mg a week it holds me at just the right point to get my protein in. So long as your Mum's heart is clear, reta is what I would choose for her.

Given a reputable vendor, safety should not be much of a worry. If it would set your mind at rest, you can always have her first kit analysed yourself. And whichever way you go, she can move to the other one later if the first is not suiting her.
 
Back
Top