Motivation keeps slipping away again šŸ˜”

Joined
May 4, 2026
Messages
124
Reaction score
0
Location
Brisbane
Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
 
Is it truly motivation that's missing, or is it anxiety that the end result won't match what you pictured? Everyone goes through stretches where they question the process. There are times when we're nearing our targets, see that a bit more effort is required, and realize we never mentally geared up for that additional push.

Consider giving yourself a few days, maybe even a week, where you deliberately stop dieting so you can get ready for what comes next. That window lets you look into and build a workout plan that fits your life and keeps you interested. One warning: don't simply pull up random at-home workout clips. As with anything that matters, you should prepare properly and have at minimum a basic grasp of what has to be done.

Looking at your photos, you're doing amazingly well at this point. You look fantastic! Your progress outpaces what most people achieve, you've got this šŸ’Ŗ.
 
Not much I can add beyond suggesting classes, or finding someone to walk with outdoors. When motivation is the main block, turning it into something social works for plenty of people.
 
You're correct that resistance training in particular, along with exercise, is essential. A few suggestions for getting started if it's proving difficult:

Don't drag sessions out. It might surprise you how much progress 2 sessions of 30-40 minutes each week can produce.

If injuries are holding you back, lighter weights with more reps are an option. The goal is still to bring the muscles near failure, but that can be achieved somewhere in the 20-30 rep range rather than by loading up heavier weights.

Attach it to something enjoyable. Back when I began training, there were shows I permitted myself to watch only during cardio. Choose a few shows or podcasts you enjoy and save them exclusively for training time.

If nothing you like exists among the exercises available, at minimum choose ones you don't hate. They may not be optimal, but a starting point is necessary. Optimization can come later, once a solid routine is in place.

When injuries are part of the picture, I'd bet youtube has clips covering how to work around virtually any problem and, eventually, how to rehab it. Look into it and figure out what suits you.

One more thing: consistency is what the human brain responds to. Doing something more often makes you want to do it more. Begin doing something on a consistent basis. As I mentioned, perfection isn't required, only consistency. Choose something you can realistically do and stick with it. Given enough time, the desire to do it will show up on its own.
 
When motivation is nowhere to be found, it can feel overwhelming — and in those moments, take another look at the photos you shared! You've made awesome progress and you look great.

Working out? I really can't stand it. What I did was put together a playlist of upbeat songs I love, and it gives me a little energy lift. I tune out the exercising and lose myself in the music. That's what works for me (I bet other people are getting a kick out of watching me bop along to it). And like was mentioned above, find an activity you actually like and stick with that.
 
Great work — the change is obvious!

I don’t have motivation suggestions, but I do have some for pain and injuries: 3 years back I was in a serious accident that messed with my mobility and left me in pain; because the injury is permanent, I still have to plan around it. My job tends to be physical, so I had to conserve all my ā€œmovement spoonsā€ just to earn a living, and being afraid of pain stopped me from moving more than necessary — even turning over in bed — so my own workouts often got dropped. 3 years later, the pain is becoming less chronic and the fear is easing, so within the past week I’ve started exercising again.

What I’m doing to restart:

-I break workouts into 5 minute chunks. That makes it feel less overwhelming — 5 minutes is short enough that I can handle nearly anything. I’ll repeat this 3-4 times per day, and after a few weeks, I’ll tack on 1 more 5 minute session.

-I use bed-friendly resistance and toning moves with pulses and bodyweight. Vintage routines appeal to me, and I either perform or adapt exercises I’ve come across in books. Callanetics is a favorite, and it’s what I used to get wedding-ready after breaking my leg and being unable to stand without crutches (the book dates to the 1980s, though newer videos exist on YT). I also enjoy Sanford Bennett’s ā€œExercising in Bed,ā€ which is around 100 years old. The pdf is likely available online at no cost.
 
Begin with yoga's Sun Salutation.



1306405fc0e269f135803f929ec2416872f3924d419da0ca4bd9ced238f85a22.jpg




Sun Salutation - Wikipedia





Image unavailable


en.wikipedia.org

Just 1 cycle per day, performed at a slow pace. Mastering every movement could take you a year.

Your breathing and flexibility get better with this practice, and it builds lean, toned muscles.

Eventually, you’ll feel ready for 3 cycles, then additional ones, and then quicker.

Because there are many "schools", variations exist, so pick whichever you prefer. YouTube has plenty of videos, and most Deepak Chopra books contain explanations. Learning the names isn’t necessary; simply watching the movements suffices.
 
JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
Honestly, what you've accomplished is impressive. Dropping close to 9 kg at your weight is a big deal.

What you're going through sounds familiar to most of us; we make headway, the drive fades, and then the same pattern plays out over and over.

When it comes to working out, I'd suggest keeping things straightforward yet regular, especially with your injuries. Treat it the way you treat your weekly reta injection; there's no internal debate about whether you'll do it, it just happens. Choose a single routine that you actually like and commit to it. Over time, bump up the time or the resistance, the same way you'd step up your reta dosage gradually.

JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
Until I turned 40, I disliked my appearance. A rough age to finally learn to appreciate myself, but late is still better than never. Strength training is what truly turned things around for me, because it altered my self-perception and made me worry less about other people's opinions.

In my twenties I was actually paralyzed and had to slowly rebuild my way back to the gym. That process was long and full of pain, so I understand that beginning with physical restrictions is tough.

At this point, you're well positioned to begin your recomp. Thank you for opening up about your experience here, since all of us have faced something similar. I'm with you on waiting a bit before adding the secretagogues. There's no need to hurry. All the best to you.
 
Right now walking is what I do for exercise...there are weights sitting at home, but using them feels so dull. Being outdoors and roaming around is what I truly enjoy. To keep the scenery fresh, I'll switch up my route or head to parts of town I've never explored on foot (what you see while walking never matches the view from a car)...I'm slowly trying to build myself back up to hiking, which has been my passion for life. Compared to treadmills or stationary bikes, I prefer how natural walking and hiking feel...Music is something I have on constantly; at home, at work, in the car....but for walking or hiking, headphones never go on. The sound of the trail crunching, the breeze, the birds...Every day I look forward to it, even in heat like today (101 degrees 😳)...

Getting outside to exercise might be worth a try...begin with something small and gradually increase...GL šŸ‘

Oh, and like others have mentioned, those pictures show you absolutely crushing it!!...šŸ‘
 
Has testing your hormone levels ever crossed your mind? From what I understand, when men have Low T it can lead to various problems such as fatigue and a lack of drive, and unless I'm wrong, women with low estrogen might experience something similar — though I'm no specialist, just putting it out there since HRT might be worth considering.
 
About walking: a step tracker turned it into something I could actually measure, and that made me want to stick with it daily.

If I didn't wear my watch, or fell short of my daily target, I'd feel like those steps went to waste.

begin with a modest 6k-7k steps
 
I may be off base, but the number you 'want' and the number your brain wants are often two different things.

A healthy weight, a normal menstrual cycle and so on - that is what your brain is after.

I had a number I wanted, but my brain never signed off on it.

Your brain will begin to sabotize the mission ,and momentum in weight loss slips away so easily.

What is your height ?

You honestly look quite amazing, even if I know you may not see it that way.

Perhaps for now you can accept holding your weight steady, until the new motivation shows up.

Does that makes sense ?

Holding weight steady is quite good work too.
 
JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
What matters most, in my view, is putting together a routine that moves you toward your goals—and even more than that, one you actually like doing.

Habits carry enormous power. Getting lean or reshaping your body is a long haul: it comes down to what you do each day, repeated steadily, across many months. The longer you keep at it and the more steady you are, the stronger the result.

So there are two pieces.

1) Put together an eating plan built from foods you genuinely like—things you'd happily have daily—that still fit the macros pushing you toward your goals. That may sound like a given, but I watch far too many people jump into harsh or even fad diets that can't last, and then they fall apart... precisely because nothing about them lasts. They go for a crash diet, cut carbs to 0, or eat nothing but lettuce and chicken at every meal, and sooner or later boredom hits, a binge follows, and they slide back into their old habits and eating patterns. So landing on something you can keep up matters. At the same time, you'll want to steer clear of anything fried, and of meals that stack lots of fat together with lots of carbs.

Usually you can put together a solid meal plan from foods roughly in this range: chicken, beef, steak, fish, shrimp, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, cream of rice, Greek yogurt, salads, and so on.

You'd be surprised how many variations you can get out of chicken and rice by adding mushrooms, onions, or a different sauce—or you could even drop the rice and turn it into more of a chicken salad with tomatoes and cheese. Once chicken starts wearing on you, switch to beef or fish, or use those for your other meals, and lean on different add-ins (onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, sauces, seasonings) to keep the taste varied. If rice gets old, potatoes are an easy substitute, or the other way around. Eating "on a diet" doesn't have to mean food that tastes awful; plenty of additions boost taste, flavor, and the whole experience without wrecking your calorie budget.

When a sweet craving hits, Greek yogurt is what I reach for, assuming you like it. Take Greek yogurt, stir in protein powder and fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, even granola, or anything else that sounds good)—and you get a high protein, low fat meal that tends to satisfy that craving.

The other half of the picture is training (working out). Fat loss is possible without it, but as time goes on you're basically (to use a metaphor) fighting with one hand tied behind your back if you want to build your physique without training. It's like installing a supercharger in your car, then capping the throttle/governor at 50% use.

When you diet and drop weight, a calorie deficit slows your metabolism, and once metabolism slows, your new maintenance calories (and the calories needed for weight loss) fall too—so if cutting calories is your only lever, you land in an endless, unsustainable loop of dropping calories further and crashing your metabolism even harder.

Or... instead of cutting calories to the point of starving, you can raise activity. Working out brings a huge number of health benefits (mental and physical), but in this context it also lets you eat more, and better cardiovascular endurance plus higher calories give you more energy and help you feel better (not only in the gym but at work, with your family, all through the day). So if you want to move past simply losing weight and into actually building a physique, activity is close to non negotiable. There's good news on this front too—adding muscle raises your maintenance calories and your total daily energy expenditure. More muscle means you can eat more. The toughest part of working out for most people, much like with eating, is simply building a routine they enjoy. I've found lots of people are afraid of the gym because they worry about being judged (but honestly everyone is so caught up in their own insecurities that they won't even notice yours)—so I would reccomend getti if in the gym, either before or after work depending on when works best for you, start with a simple workout routine where you incorporate cardio and resistance training, then you can build up/modify the workout structure from there (based on what you like). If the treadmill is your thing, use it. Biking is a great option too. If you build up to pushing yourself on the stairmaster, that can be a painful kind of fun as well. Group classes exist too, and of course all the weightlifting equipment you'd need is there as well.

That's all I got
 
aepower2016 said:

Is it truly motivation that's missing, or is it anxiety that the end result won't match what you pictured? Everyone goes through stretches where they question the process. There are times when we're nearing our targets, see that a bit more effort is required, and realize we never mentally geared up for that additional push.

Consider giving yourself a few days, maybe even a week, where you deliberately stop dieting so you can get ready for what comes next. That window lets you look into and build a workout plan that fits your life and keeps you interested. One warning: don't simply pull up random at-home workout clips. As with anything that matters, you should prepare properly and have at minimum a basic grasp of what has to be done.

Looking at your photos, you're doing amazingly well at this point. You look fantastic! Your progress outpaces what most people achieve, you've got this šŸ’Ŗ.
I really appreciate the support ā¤ļøā¤ļø and yeah, there's probably a mental side to this. As an adult I've put more than $10,000 into psychology sessions, so I'm fairly aware of that corner of my mind that fears I could still end up unhappy (maybe) once I get where I want to be. I just have to push past it!
 
5byfive said:

You're correct that resistance training in particular, along with exercise, is essential. A few suggestions for getting started if it's proving difficult:

Don't drag sessions out. It might surprise you how much progress 2 sessions of 30-40 minutes each week can produce.

If injuries are holding you back, lighter weights with more reps are an option. The goal is still to bring the muscles near failure, but that can be achieved somewhere in the 20-30 rep range rather than by loading up heavier weights.

Attach it to something enjoyable. Back when I began training, there were shows I permitted myself to watch only during cardio. Choose a few shows or podcasts you enjoy and save them exclusively for training time.

If nothing you like exists among the exercises available, at minimum choose ones you don't hate. They may not be optimal, but a starting point is necessary. Optimization can come later, once a solid routine is in place.

When injuries are part of the picture, I'd bet youtube has clips covering how to work around virtually any problem and, eventually, how to rehab it. Look into it and figure out what suits you.

One more thing: consistency is what the human brain responds to. Doing something more often makes you want to do it more. Begin doing something on a consistent basis. As I mentioned, perfection isn't required, only consistency. Choose something you can realistically do and stick with it. Given enough time, the desire to do it will show up on its own.
Thanks! Honestly, the vast majority of workouts are something I genuinely dislike šŸ˜… There was a time when I was really fit from the gym, and even after 2 years of training without missing a beat, dragging myself there never stopped feeling like a chore. Still, you’ve nailed it about having a set plan or routine in place, and going just twice a week is totally doable!
 
HouseCat said:

Great work — the change is obvious!

I don’t have motivation suggestions, but I do have some for pain and injuries: 3 years back I was in a serious accident that messed with my mobility and left me in pain; because the injury is permanent, I still have to plan around it. My job tends to be physical, so I had to conserve all my ā€œmovement spoonsā€ just to earn a living, and being afraid of pain stopped me from moving more than necessary — even turning over in bed — so my own workouts often got dropped. 3 years later, the pain is becoming less chronic and the fear is easing, so within the past week I’ve started exercising again.

What I’m doing to restart:

-I break workouts into 5 minute chunks. That makes it feel less overwhelming — 5 minutes is short enough that I can handle nearly anything. I’ll repeat this 3-4 times per day, and after a few weeks, I’ll tack on 1 more 5 minute session.

-I use bed-friendly resistance and toning moves with pulses and bodyweight. Vintage routines appeal to me, and I either perform or adapt exercises I’ve come across in books. Callanetics is a favorite, and it’s what I used to get wedding-ready after breaking my leg and being unable to stand without crutches (the book dates to the 1980s, though newer videos exist on YT). I also enjoy Sanford Bennett’s ā€œExercising in Bed,ā€ which is around 100 years old. The pdf is likely available online at no cost.
Thanks for opening up about what you've been through ā¤ļø I suspect that worrying about pain plays a part in my case as well. That link hadn't occurred to me before. Over these last few months, KPV and TB500 have made a real difference, so now I just have to ease in gradually.
 
miameow said:

JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
Honestly, what you've accomplished is impressive. Dropping close to 9 kg at your weight is a big deal.

What you're going through sounds familiar to most of us; we make headway, the drive fades, and then the same pattern plays out over and over.

When it comes to working out, I'd suggest keeping things straightforward yet regular, especially with your injuries. Treat it the way you treat your weekly reta injection; there's no internal debate about whether you'll do it, it just happens. Choose a single routine that you actually like and commit to it. Over time, bump up the time or the resistance, the same way you'd step up your reta dosage gradually.

JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
Until I turned 40, I disliked my appearance. A rough age to finally learn to appreciate myself, but late is still better than never. Strength training is what truly turned things around for me, because it altered my self-perception and made me worry less about other people's opinions.

In my twenties I was actually paralyzed and had to slowly rebuild my way back to the gym. That process was long and full of pain, so I understand that beginning with physical restrictions is tough.

At this point, you're well positioned to begin your recomp. Thank you for opening up about your experience here, since all of us have faced something similar. I'm with you on waiting a bit before adding the secretagogues. There's no need to hurry. All the best to you.
I really appreciate this — reading it gave me a push ā¤ļø knowing that others also struggle with motivation dropping off makes me feel less isolated. During my 20’s and the early part of my 30’s I dealt with a number of injuries. At 33 now, I mostly just feel beaten down. My legs are covered in cellulite, even though the pictures I snapped yesterday don’t make that obvious šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø Since my daughter was born 7 years ago I’ve made a lot of progress on self love, because I want to model that for her and keep her from inheriting my problems (ending the cycle of generational trauma), but I’m aware there’s still a long road ahead.
 
Mochizuki0124 said:

Has testing your hormone levels ever crossed your mind? From what I understand, when men have Low T it can lead to various problems such as fatigue and a lack of drive, and unless I'm wrong, women with low estrogen might experience something similar — though I'm no specialist, just putting it out there since HRT might be worth considering.
About 2 months back, I got a full bloodwork panel done — hormones included — because of chronic fatigue. The only thing that showed up was really low iron. After that I had an infusion, which has made a decent difference, and I'll keep getting them on a regular basis whenever I need them. I'm 33, so thankfully perimenopause isn't a factor yet šŸ˜…
 
Thank yo

miss-sanne said:

I may be off base, but the number you 'want' and the number your brain wants are often two different things.

A healthy weight, a normal menstrual cycle and so on - that is what your brain is after.

I had a number I wanted, but my brain never signed off on it.

Your brain will begin to sabotize the mission ,and momentum in weight loss slips away so easily.

What is your height ?

You honestly look quite amazing, even if I know you may not see it that way.

Perhaps for now you can accept holding your weight steady, until the new motivation shows up.

Does that makes sense ?

Holding weight steady is quite good work too.
Thank you ā¤ļø Though I'm a short ass, haha, 5'2! There's still plenty of bulging fat around my back area, plus those lines on either side of my lower back caused by the creases that fat makes. Getting my strength back up matters a lot to me too, post accident (3 years this September). I have zero strength and get out of breath from a brisk 10 minute walk from the train station to my office šŸ˜… my goal weight number is more of an assumed weight once I've lost a bit more fat and gained some toning back. The numbers at the end don't matter to me, more how I want to look and feel.
 
Sector said:

JourneyToPerfection said:

Every time I try to shed the full amount of weight and then move into a body recomp, the same pattern plays out. The opening couple of months feel great. After that, my drive disappears. No clue why. My diet stays pretty much the same, nothing extreme. I simply reach a stage where I’m still nowhere near satisfied with how I look, yet my head goes ā€œeh, fuck it, good enoughā€. Only it isn’t good enough, and I do want to reach my goals.

SW 74.2kg

CW 65.7kg

GW 57kg (ish)

Reta 2mg every 7 days (very sensitive to GLPs)

Working out hasn’t started for me yet, and I realize that’s the next thing to add. Old injuries stop me from going all out at the gym, but I can still manage short sessions at home and use the apartment treadmill that’s there for me. Maybe that’s the part that trips me up. If I stay on Reta without adding even a little exercise, I’ll wind up flat all over (same as what happened with Mounjaro last year), and then deliberately put weight back on to restore my curves. Apart from my back, which somehow stays chunky no matter what šŸ˜®ā€šŸ’Ø

I’m just after advice, tips, tricks, personal stories and so on about how to keep going and see it through.

CJC no dac & Ipa should reach me this week, but I won’t go near it until a routine is in place and I’ve likely shed another 5kg.

Help meeee 😭😭
What matters most, in my view, is putting together a routine that moves you toward your goals—and even more than that, one you actually like doing.

Habits carry enormous power. Getting lean or reshaping your body is a long haul: it comes down to what you do each day, repeated steadily, across many months. The longer you keep at it and the more steady you are, the stronger the result.

So there are two pieces.

1) Put together an eating plan built from foods you genuinely like—things you'd happily have daily—that still fit the macros pushing you toward your goals. That may sound like a given, but I watch far too many people jump into harsh or even fad diets that can't last, and then they fall apart... precisely because nothing about them lasts. They go for a crash diet, cut carbs to 0, or eat nothing but lettuce and chicken at every meal, and sooner or later boredom hits, a binge follows, and they slide back into their old habits and eating patterns. So landing on something you can keep up matters. At the same time, you'll want to steer clear of anything fried, and of meals that stack lots of fat together with lots of carbs.

Usually you can put together a solid meal plan from foods roughly in this range: chicken, beef, steak, fish, shrimp, rice, potatoes, oatmeal, cream of rice, Greek yogurt, salads, and so on.

You'd be surprised how many variations you can get out of chicken and rice by adding mushrooms, onions, or a different sauce—or you could even drop the rice and turn it into more of a chicken salad with tomatoes and cheese. Once chicken starts wearing on you, switch to beef or fish, or use those for your other meals, and lean on different add-ins (onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, sauces, seasonings) to keep the taste varied. If rice gets old, potatoes are an easy substitute, or the other way around. Eating "on a diet" doesn't have to mean food that tastes awful; plenty of additions boost taste, flavor, and the whole experience without wrecking your calorie budget.

When a sweet craving hits, Greek yogurt is what I reach for, assuming you like it. Take Greek yogurt, stir in protein powder and fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, even granola, or anything else that sounds good)—and you get a high protein, low fat meal that tends to satisfy that craving.

The other half of the picture is training (working out). Fat loss is possible without it, but as time goes on you're basically (to use a metaphor) fighting with one hand tied behind your back if you want to build your physique without training. It's like installing a supercharger in your car, then capping the throttle/governor at 50% use.

When you diet and drop weight, a calorie deficit slows your metabolism, and once metabolism slows, your new maintenance calories (and the calories needed for weight loss) fall too—so if cutting calories is your only lever, you land in an endless, unsustainable loop of dropping calories further and crashing your metabolism even harder.

Or... instead of cutting calories to the point of starving, you can raise activity. Working out brings a huge number of health benefits (mental and physical), but in this context it also lets you eat more, and better cardiovascular endurance plus higher calories give you more energy and help you feel better (not only in the gym but at work, with your family, all through the day). So if you want to move past simply losing weight and into actually building a physique, activity is close to non negotiable. There's good news on this front too—adding muscle raises your maintenance calories and your total daily energy expenditure. More muscle means you can eat more. The toughest part of working out for most people, much like with eating, is simply building a routine they enjoy. I've found lots of people are afraid of the gym because they worry about being judged (but honestly everyone is so caught up in their own insecurities that they won't even notice yours)—so I would reccomend getti if in the gym, either before or after work depending on when works best for you, start with a simple workout routine where you incorporate cardio and resistance training, then you can build up/modify the workout structure from there (based on what you like). If the treadmill is your thing, use it. Biking is a great option too. If you build up to pushing yourself on the stairmaster, that can be a painful kind of fun as well. Group classes exist too, and of course all the weightlifting equipment you'd need is there as well.

That's all I got
There’s a ton of stuff to go through in this thread, and I really appreciate how much effort you put into your response ā˜ŗļø

When I say diet, I don’t mean cutting out food or being super strict. Last night I had cheesecake for dessert šŸ˜‚ It’s more about moderation, and I’m not terrible at that. I know I could do better by focusing on more nutritious choices and prepping meals ahead. The problem is meat: after having my gallbladder removed quite a while ago, my digestion can’t handle red meat or fish, so I’m stuck with chicken or turkey 😭

About 3 years back I was in an accident, and I’m still dealing with physical effects from it, so the gym isn’t something I can do right now. My apartment has a shared gym with a treadmill and some other cardio machines I can use. The hard part is finding the drive to make a plan, get started, and keep going. Still, all the replies have helped a lot—I’m picking up useful advice and ideas now!
 
Back
Top