Monitoring Glucose Without a Diabetes Diagnosis?

Joined
Feb 1, 2026
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas/USA
I genuinely want to find out whether anyone here tracks their blood sugar even without having diabetes. Since certain peptides could potentially cause hypoglycemia, I'm wondering if people who haven't been diagnosed with diabetes are routinely checking their glucose levels?
 
I don't have diabetes myself, although I've been thinking about trying it. My partner used to be diabetic, so I've got several Freestyle Libres sitting around. I might stick one onto my arm just to check what readings come up.
 
My parents did that back when they were on keto. Seems like a hassle.

If your plan is to use HGH rather than tesa/ipa, then tracking glucose makes a lot of sense.
 
I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
 
Should you want it, here's how that discussion ran the last time someone panicked over non-diabetic "hypoglycemia:"




Blood sugar drop on Reta?



I've only just begun Reta 1mg per week and I'm on week 4. Roughly 24 hours in, my blood sugar drops. Dizzy, nauseous, and I feel feint. Assuming that's the cause, at least, since water and a scrap of candy or sugary food seems to sort it. Carbs are in my diet, I'm drinking my...

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
tubby said:

Should you want it, here's how that discussion ran the last time someone panicked over non-diabetic "hypoglycemia:"




Blood sugar drop on Reta?



I've only just begun Reta 1mg per week and I'm on week 4. Roughly 24 hours in, my blood sugar drops. Dizzy, nauseous, and I feel feint. Assuming that's the cause, at least, since water and a scrap of candy or sugary food seems to sort it. Carbs are in my diet, I'm drinking my...

View attachment 11609


GLP1Chat.com
I appreciate the reply! I looked through a quick search, though nothing useful jumped out right away, which is why I started a fresh thread.
 

Attachments

  • 051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png
    051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 3
rixsternaz said:

I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
That puts my mind at ease.... i figured i was the lone person taking the highest dose of tirz or reta who can still hit 105 glucose.... it scares me to think where id be without glp1s....
 
I've never done it since it feels like a hassle, though I could see it being a fun experiment if it's something that worries you. Without a prescription, how do you obtain the testing supplies?
 
ambot88 said:

I've never done it since it feels like a hassle, though I could see it being a fun experiment if it's something that worries you. Without a prescription, how do you obtain the testing supplies?
You don't need a prescription to purchase typical glucose meters along with test strips.
 
I haven't been doing that, but I'd just had labs drawn, so I requested that my doctor include it, given that diabetes appears on both sides of my family and I'm closing in on 47. As it happened, this was only a couple of days before I began microdosing tirz. My hemoglobin A1C came back at 5.0. It will be interesting to find out where it lands (assuming it moves at all).
 
rixsternaz said:

I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
A prescription isn't required for a CGM. Amazon sells them — about 100 dollars for 2. Before starting certain compounds, I'd say it's smart to establish your baseline data (not only in the morning, but also how your body responds to a high carb meal).
 
I picked up a cheap finger prick testing kit from an online store, and my blood sugar readings have stayed within the normal range. On top of that, I've got a blood pressure monitor as well. It's useful to confirm that everything is holding steady.
 
RascalRaccoon said:

I picked up a cheap finger prick testing kit from an online store, and my blood sugar readings have stayed within the normal range. On top of that, I've got a blood pressure monitor as well. It's useful to confirm that everything is holding steady.
I take my blood pressure pretty much every day. Ever since I started GLP-1s (plus working out on a regular basis), high blood pressure days have become almost nonexistent for me.

Good to know your numbers are holding steady. I'm considering buying one of the less expensive glucose meters so I can keep an eye on my levels going forward. Maybe just once a week, to check and look at trends.
 
Diabetes isn't something I have, yet roughly 3 times each year I go through hypoglycemia episodes. It is absolutely not a joke. What I feel isn't mild lightheadedness or tiredness; instead it's a full-body sense that "I'm definitely going to die on this bathroom tile." Because of that, I keep a monitor at home along with glucose strips, and whenever my dose goes up, I test with real dedication for a period. After beginning GLP-1s, I've had zero episodes, and my blood sugar has been more stable than it ever was. I hope that keeps up! (By the way, those little containers that test strips are packaged in work great as disguises for peptide vials. They even come with a dessicant already inside.)
 
I began monitoring a while back because I was prediabetic. Even though I follow a low carb, higher protein way of eating, my readings are still typically in the 100-110 range on most days.
 
Gt3294a said:

rixsternaz said:

I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
A prescription isn't required for a CGM. Amazon sells them — about 100 dollars for 2. Before starting certain compounds, I'd say it's smart to establish your baseline data (not only in the morning, but also how your body responds to a high carb meal).
On eBay, a 2-pack runs roughly $80 a month.

My guess is that some folks have insurance covering theirs, then turn around and sell them.
 
Gt3294a said:

rixsternaz said:

I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
A prescription isn't required for a CGM. Amazon sells them — about 100 dollars for 2. Before starting certain compounds, I'd say it's smart to establish your baseline data (not only in the morning, but also how your body responds to a high carb meal).
Sure... however, with a prescription and insurance coverage, the cost drops to zero... and who doesn't love free stuff 🙂
 
rixsternaz said:

Gt3294a said:

rixsternaz said:

I don't have diabetes, but I'm aware that my insulin levels have been gradually rising. So after beginning Reta, I requested a prescription for some GCM's from my doctor. Since starting, I've been checking my levels and have noticed my insulin drop under 100 and stay more steady during the day. Before this, my numbers were consistently over 100, typically in the 105 - 125 range.
A prescription isn't required for a CGM. Amazon sells them — about 100 dollars for 2. Before starting certain compounds, I'd say it's smart to establish your baseline data (not only in the morning, but also how your body responds to a high carb meal).
Sure... however, with a prescription and insurance coverage, the cost drops to zero... and who doesn't love free stuff 🙂
Same here. The problem is my doctor acts like a jerk. When I told him to ignore that lipid result because the numbers would bounce back once I cut to 200mg, I got a long lecture. So I have no idea how he'll react when I request a CGM to confirm that the HGH and Reta are balancing each other out.
 
For the last 1.5 years I've been using strips to check my levels, since my fasting blood sugar kept rising. Since beginning reta, my readings have gone up, not down. Dihydroberberine has given me a small amount of improvement.
 
My doctor flagged 1 blood test result last autumn as possibly creeping upward. I began Reta in January, and at the most recent 2 blood tests he told me the numbers looked fine.
 
Back
Top