Keeping tirzepatide in powder form: how should it be stored?

Joined
Apr 25, 2026
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Boston, MA
I just received my first order of tirzepatide in powder form. Unless I’ve miscalculated, $400 covered enough to last me 2 years, which feels unbelievable. The thing is, I’m not sure how to keep it. It didn’t arrive chilled the way my compounded version always did. With the compounded, I kept it in the refrigerator the whole time. Does the powder also belong in the fridge before mixing? And what should I do with the Hospira?

Thanks!
 
From what I understand, tirz holds up really well. The common advice is to keep it in the freezer, and in that state it stays good for several years. Once it has been mixed, it should go in the refrigerator. There are even those who put reconstituted tirz in the freezer as well.
 
So into the freezer, then? I'll tuck it beneath the peaches that got freezer burn. Knowing it's sitting there really lifts my mood. And should the hospira also go in the freezer?
 
So far I've stuck with compounded versions. I'm getting ready to buy 2 kits, though, and my plan is to put them in the freezer.
 
DidntMakeBrownies said:

So into the freezer, then? I'll tuck it beneath the peaches that got freezer burn. Knowing it's sitting there really lifts my mood. And should the hospira also go in the freezer?

From what I understand, the answer is no — Hospira shouldn't go in the freezer. Keep it at room temperature instead.




bacteriostatic water for injection, USP How Supplied/Storage and Handling | Pfizer Medical - US



bacteriostatic water for injection, USP How Supplied/Storage and Handling HOW SUPPLIED Unit of Sale Benzyl Alcohol Preservative Concentration NDC 0409-3977-03 Tray of 25 Multiple-dose 30 mL plastic Fliptop vials 9 mg/mL NDC 0409-1093-04 Tray of 25 Multiple-dose 20 mL fill in 30...

Image unavailable


www.pfizermedical.com
 
DidntMakeBrownies said:

So into the freezer, then? I'll tuck it beneath the peaches that got freezer burn. Knowing it's sitting there really lifts my mood. And should the hospira also go in the freezer?
For Hospira, I keep it somewhere cool and dark rather than in the freezer.

When it comes to powdered Tirz, that goes into the freezer, kept away from any frost-free section, placed as low as possible, and inside an insulated container.

Think of it as sitting midway between frozen peas and peaches.

something like THIS
 
Following on from the earlier points - keep bacteriostatic water at room temperature, protected from light. Freezing it is not recommended.
 
I've run into folks who keep their vials inside 3D-printed inserts made for an insulated bottle. That bottle is then placed in the freezer. From what I can tell, this seems like one of the strongest options for maximizing how long it stays good.
 
If it's still powder, put it in the freezer — or the fridge works too, unless you plan to keep it for 1 yr or more. Once it's reconstituted, it goes in the fridge and must not be frozen. For BAC, it's temperature stable, so you can leave it on a shelf or also store it in the fridge, just to maintain a steady temp.
 
For a clearer picture of how sturdy these peptides actually are, the Peter Magic of Janoshik videos over on PepTalk are worth checking out. The short version of what Peter explains: lyophilized Tirz remains viable for years when kept in the fridge, and for decades when kept in the freezer.

When your stash is on the smaller side, the Hydrapeak storage setup is a simple option, since it comes with plastic inserts designed to hold the vials.

Most freezers made today run frost-free, meaning they briefly warm up a couple times each month to thaw the coils. In my case, the brand new freezer I have climbs into the 20ºF range several times a month. If your 'tides sit inside some form of insulated container, they won't rise nearly as much during the 30-50 min's of the defrost cycle. So it seems the prudent thing to do.





40c40026f187d2428b73941fcdfbacf762706a5154419478b8aebdf0bae26c2f.webp f25f3aacc69969c74a03a34af238d7a726ebe9d4e9396e42f55ed5a2f17b16e7.webp
 
Chunky113 said:

If it's still powder, put it in the freezer — or the fridge works too, unless you plan to keep it for 1 yr or more. Once it's reconstituted, it goes in the fridge and must not be frozen. For BAC, it's temperature stable, so you can leave it on a shelf or also store it in the fridge, just to maintain a steady temp.

Even so, that idea has been disproven multiple times—by certain people in this community as well as by Janoshik.

Putting it in the freezer is an option !!




Tirz Freezing/Defrosting



Inside my freezer I keep a number of tirz vials (never mixed with liquid). For roughly 24 hours I'd like to remove them so I can travel, and then put them back in the freezer. Someone told me that the process of freezing and then thawing makes Tirz less potent—is that accurate? What do you all suggest?

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
Candaril said:

Chunky113 said:

If it's still powder, put it in the freezer — or the fridge works too, unless you plan to keep it for 1 yr or more. Once it's reconstituted, it goes in the fridge and must not be frozen. For BAC, it's temperature stable, so you can leave it on a shelf or also store it in the fridge, just to maintain a steady temp.

Even so, that idea has been disproven multiple times—by certain people in this community as well as by Janoshik.

Putting it in the freezer is an option !!




Tirz Freezing/Defrosting



Inside my freezer I keep a number of tirz vials (never mixed with liquid). For roughly 24 hours I'd like to remove them so I can travel, and then put them back in the freezer. Someone told me that the process of freezing and then thawing makes Tirz less potent—is that accurate? What do you all suggest?

View attachment 10421


GLP1Chat.com
Could you point me to where Janoshik made that claim, or share the lab report from the Czech lab? My understanding was that peptides can be harmed by crystallization. I'm working my way through that thread during breaks at work, but so far I haven't come across a link to the actual study.
 
No—there isn’t a direct link I can point you to. The details are in the link I shared earlier, beginning at post #100.

I’ve also come across this across a number of forums; several users have reported the same thing, and from my own experience, freezing it once, then thawing and using it for 6 weeks, made no noticeable difference.

Lilly says Mounjaro must not be frozen, though my guess is that this relates more to the pen than to the tirzepatide compound itself.
 
How does everyone feel about storing your research in a frost free freezer where the temperature swings a lot… is there actually a moisture risk from that?
 
ColdSmoke said:

How does everyone feel about storing your research in a frost free freezer where the temperature swings a lot… is there actually a moisture risk from that?
When you tracked the temperature changes in your frost-free freezer, what were the size of those swings and how long did they last?
 
indolent said:

ColdSmoke said:

How does everyone feel about storing your research in a frost free freezer where the temperature swings a lot… is there actually a moisture risk from that?
When you tracked the temperature changes in your frost-free freezer, what were the size of those swings and how long did they last?
A 30°F jump in temperature is a frequent occurrence
 
ColdSmoke said:

indolent said:

ColdSmoke said:

How does everyone feel about storing your research in a frost free freezer where the temperature swings a lot… is there actually a moisture risk from that?
When you tracked the temperature changes in your frost-free freezer, what were the size of those swings and how long did they last?
A 30°F jump in temperature is a frequent occurrence
Did you take that reading inside your own fridge? Also, how long did the higher temperature last?
 
Is this just an argument for argument's sake? The type of person who has to be correct even when they aren't?
 
Back
Top