randompersonrandom
Explorer
I've at last cracked a batch of yogurt whose consistency and flavor land really near Oui!
Into a 32 oz mason jar goes:
50g powdered milk
75g sugar, or whatever sweetener you like
Any flavoring that can take heat: right now I'm using part of a grated tonka bean, though I've also added a splash of vanilla once the scalding was done, and I might give cheesecake candy oil a shot down the line. Key lime juice tempts me, but I'm fairly sure that would just turn into paneer.
3g fruit pectin. Sure Jell is what I reach for.
Top it off with whole milk, leaving roughly an inch of headroom.
20g yogurt (Fage 5% does the job nicely)
If your blender accepts a mason jar, screw it on (mine does). If not, just blend it in the blender as usual. Run it on high for 60 secs.
Add hot water to the instant pot up to the 2/3 mark. Set the mason jar on a trivet inside, with the lid sitting LOOSE. Switch to saute and bring the jar up to 180 degrees, then keep it there for roughly 20 min. (For me that's about two 30 min saute cycles.)
Lift the jar out without scalding yourself. Let the milk inside drop to around 110 degrees. Mix in the 20g of yogurt plus any flavoring that heat would ruin.
Divide the mixture among six oui jars. Put something loose over them so water can't drip in. Silicone lids exist for exactly this. Place them on a trivet in the instant pot. Hit the yogurt setting. Off to bed. The next morning, move them to the fridge. They firm up more by the following day, though they're still decent by that evening.
Into a 32 oz mason jar goes:
50g powdered milk
75g sugar, or whatever sweetener you like
Any flavoring that can take heat: right now I'm using part of a grated tonka bean, though I've also added a splash of vanilla once the scalding was done, and I might give cheesecake candy oil a shot down the line. Key lime juice tempts me, but I'm fairly sure that would just turn into paneer.
3g fruit pectin. Sure Jell is what I reach for.
Top it off with whole milk, leaving roughly an inch of headroom.
20g yogurt (Fage 5% does the job nicely)
If your blender accepts a mason jar, screw it on (mine does). If not, just blend it in the blender as usual. Run it on high for 60 secs.
Add hot water to the instant pot up to the 2/3 mark. Set the mason jar on a trivet inside, with the lid sitting LOOSE. Switch to saute and bring the jar up to 180 degrees, then keep it there for roughly 20 min. (For me that's about two 30 min saute cycles.)
Lift the jar out without scalding yourself. Let the milk inside drop to around 110 degrees. Mix in the 20g of yogurt plus any flavoring that heat would ruin.
Divide the mixture among six oui jars. Put something loose over them so water can't drip in. Silicone lids exist for exactly this. Place them on a trivet in the instant pot. Hit the yogurt setting. Off to bed. The next morning, move them to the fridge. They firm up more by the following day, though they're still decent by that evening.