I think my doc is going to freakout

DS36

Explorer
Joined
Aug 13, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
I think my doctor is going to be suspicious when my A1C comes back in the non-diabetic range. I have Type 2 diabetes and have been on retatrutide for a month now. I've also been eating low-carb, high-protein, lifting weights, and cycling. I test my blood sugar several times a day, and my readings are averaging between 90 and 95 mg/dL, especially the past few mornings in the 87 range. I was discussing with a coworker whether I should tell my doctor what I'm taking.
 
DS36 said:


I think my doctor is going to be suspicious when my A1C comes back in the non-diabetic range. I have Type 2 diabetes and have been on retatrutide for a month now. I've also been eating low-carb, high-protein, lifting weights, and cycling. I test my blood sugar several times a day, and my readings are averaging between 90 and 95 mg/dL, especially the past few mornings in the 87 range. I was discussing with a coworker whether I should tell my doctor what I'm taking.

Click to expand...
Compound glp. That's what you say ♥️
 
ladyj779 said:


Compound glp. That's what you say ♥️

Click to expand...
Yes, if they ask.

The last time I had an appointment, I used the patient portal to update my Rx's.

Under the med section it offered the choice of check boxes for brand name Zepbound or generic tirzepatide with standard doses.

I checked a box for Zepbound at a standard dose. (I figured it was close enough)

Never have had any questions, but last time the nurse referred to it as tirzepatide, just checking I am still on it.

All in their ordinary day's work, no issues or concerns. Never any reason to bring up grey.

There have been several threads on this. -- Here is one --




Your Dr’s opinions?



Out of curiosity, for those that regularly have dr’s visits and checkups, do you discuss your pep intake with them? Or do your keep that info to yourself? If you do discuss what have been some of their responses? Just debating whether to discuss with Dr. Thanks for your input. 👍🏻

051f0e2f5b7f6ffbb4a2f10b404546ba44b6197464dfbacec1b043fb189c69a3.png



GLP1Chat.com
 
Honestly, I think it can be a real liability problem for them. I don't want to put them in that position, so I just say I have been doing alternate day fasting and keto to lose weight. Those strategies improve blood biomarkers too. I would only 'fess up if it was medically pertinent. And of course, the less insurance knows, the better.
 
DS36 said:


I think my doctor is going to be suspicious when my A1C comes back in the non-diabetic range.

Click to expand...

I would drop in a casual comment about putting a lot of effort into a better diet. That, plus a a greater than ten pounds of lost weight makes it plausible.

If you can show them some weight loss plus point out some new muscle definition, they will probably assume everything is due to healthier lifestyle choices.

For what it's worth, I no longer bother to correct my family practice doctor, even when they are in the wrong ball field. I also don't depend on her for anything, for the same reason.
 
kakiebean said:


Honestly, I think it can be a real liability problem for them. I don't want to put them in that position, so I just say I have been doing alternate day fasting and keto to lose weight. Those strategies improve blood biomarkers too. I would only 'fess up if it was medically pertinent. And of course, the less insurance knows, the better.

Click to expand...

How is it a liability concern for the doctor when the patient says they're using "a GLP1 from online?"

That's accurate, truthful, and relevant to interpretation of the A1C change.

Or, lie to your doctor crediting fasting and keto and reduce the possible benefit from the doctor's visit. At some point you might as well just skip going to the doctor.
 
I would just tell him all of the things you just listed without the reta and he will understand 😊 as that can be achieved without the use of reta too but reta just helped you get there. Well done!
 
Vriende said:


Never have had any questions, but last time the nurse referred to it as tirzepatide, just checking I am still on it.

All in their ordinary day's work, no issues or concerns. Never any reason to bring up grey.

Click to expand...
This has been my experience as well. My health picture went from simple to “more” not-simple in the past 3-5 years. I went from seasonal antidepressant only—to thyroid, adhd, blood pressure, and HRT.

I had different doctors for each of these, plus my GP. If their name isn’t on the signature line, it’s information to them. The only pushback I have ever gotten is my endo doesn’t like that I’m on testosterone (third party clinic). He commented briefly then moved on.

Our system is so pillared - a different doc for every little thing - that it’s normal. They stay in their own lane, as it’s the professional norm.

Edit to add: don’t lie and omit the GLP-1. They are there to help you and there are a ton of changes it spurs.

If you’re super nervous then mark it up to tirzepatide.
 
DS36 said:


...I was discussing with a coworker whether I should tell my doctor what I'm taking.

Click to expand...

I failed to answer this directly.

My standard answer is I'm "taking a GLP1 from online." They're welcome to assume it's compounded from a telemed provider.

In general, it doesn't matter to their medical scope if it's Sema, Tirz, Reta, etc.

The last time we had to "check a box" (for anesthesia), we selected Tirz, which was accurate but not complete. Medically, details beyond that were irrelevant to the decision making.
 
I'm on a few medications right now for thyroid, cholesterol, and blood pressure. My doctor was about to put me on metformin, but I declined it. I'm concerned about potential interactions between peptides and my current prescriptions, so I'm thinking I should let him know. If retatrutide works as well as I expect, I can probably come off most of them eventually. I was just curious what folls are doing with their doctors too as well.
 
No diabetes, but my Cholesterol, A1C had been close to borderline last year, and February this year. Next BT in March was good, and the July one was better. He didn't ask, I didn't say. I had lost a bunch though. I'd just say a GLP1.
 
My doc had a shit eating grin on her face after seeing my labs 6 months ago. I told her I was on compounded Tirz. She had absolutely no problem with it. I have another appointment in two weeks and I'll be 35 lbs lighter than last time. Hope she doesn't try to kiss me.
 
I told my doc from the beginning that I am in compounded Sema. I started with compounded, I wasn’t lying.

It’s not just the weight loss. That’s been significant. But I’m still obese, I have more work to do.

My arthritis is better so I can move more. I feel better. My BP (with meds) is 120/80 for the first time since COVID. My fasting glucose is lower.

It’s not all due to a magic shot. But the peps make it possible for better habits to be in reach.
 
I wonder how many of you are covered for a pharma GLP based on your conditions and simply haven’t checked.

95% of insured patients with diabetes have GLP coverage and roughly 50% for weight loss.
 
For me, my PCP told me she has not been able to get Wegovy covered for anyone. My insurance classifies it as step therapy, which means you have to try a bunch of other stuff first and prove it doesn’t work before they will consider it, and even then they may still say no. (Been down this road with other meds. It sucks.)

I started with BMI 41 and hypertension. The trouble is — qualifying for a med and getting insurance to actually pay for it, each month, are two different things.
 
GLiPtest said:


I wonder how many of you are covered for a pharma GLP based on your conditions and simply haven’t checked.

95% of insured patients with diabetes have GLP coverage and roughly 50% for weight loss.

Click to expand...

I’m not interested in having to deal with a doctor for GLP decision making and access.

My insurance wasn’t concerned either😂.
 
I am of the opinion that my PCP needs to know everything I am putting in my body no matter how ridiculous 😂. I just started a course of Epitalon on top of Tirzepatide and testosterone which I feel will bring me as close to immortality as is possible in 2026 🤪.

I had kidney cancer a couple years ago which was caught early and seems to be something I am not going to have to worry about but there are some theoretical concerns regarding Epitalon and cancer because the lengthening of telomeres could potentially encourage tumor growth. The empirical evidence actually shows the opposite is true: it decreases tumor growth and in human studies shows up to a 13% extension of life span. I am taking the risk.

Even if I were using illegal drugs I would think it wise to inform my provider in case some random drug he wanted to prescribe would be contraindicated.
 
GLiPtest said:


I wonder how many of you are covered for a pharma GLP based on your conditions and simply haven’t checked.

95% of insured patients with diabetes have GLP coverage and roughly 50% for weight loss.

Click to expand...
Mine doesn't cover GLPs anymore. They did at first and then got overrun.
 
Back
Top