How much load comes off the joints after weight loss?

AllCourtTENNIS

Explorer
Joined
Dec 23, 2025
Messages
101
Reaction score
1
Location
Virginia
Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
 
lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
Not at all. What I am after is better sources on measured shifts in joint load and alignment following weight loss.
 
lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
 
A knee problem has me waiting on a follow-up with the GP, and it clearly ties back to the weight I have been carrying around. Reta is something I have only just begun, so my hope is that losing enough will relieve some of the load on those knees. Once the diagnosis is clear I may start looking into which peptides might help and which will not.
 
Load relief formulas are beyond me. What I can pass on is that my joints noticed the difference between 178lbs and 240lbs. Meniscus repair behind me, and now hyaluronic acid shots into that knee. The weight is what wrecked it. With the load reduced it is manageable. Stay fit stay vigilant ! !
 
For knee, back and shoulder pain, DMSO helps enormously. I was using it before the Reta. It was a miracle, though it only masks the problem. Reta looks likely to cure or at least improve my issues. As for joint pain, with the hip excepted (too deep for it to reach), rubbing DMSO 70% in distilled water onto the area kills or reduces the pain inside 20 minutes or less in my case. And it is available on Amazon😂
 
A different study found cartilage increasing in a small arthritic group on semaglutide. That points to a benefit from GLP1 drugs beyond weight loss alone. In my own case weight loss looks like the bigger factor, and a fair chunk of the pain relief gets cancelled out by doing more (that is, I am losing weight through extra activity, and the extra activity makes the knees hurt more). There are quite a few videos covering that study too, if that suits you better.


https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550413126000082
 
AllCourtTENNIS said:

Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
Just one person's experience, but I have knee OA on both sides and was on PT plus cortisone injections when I started reta. That was 4 weeks ago, so there has not been much weight loss to speak of yet. The knee pain, though, has almost completely gone. I am convinced it is the anti-inflammatory action of reta.
 
AllCourtTENNIS said:

Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
My diagnosis is bone on bone arthritis. 2-4 days after starting reta, the pain in my knee and leg dropped by probably 90%. No weight had come off at that point. So the GLP-1 alone is doing something about the inflammation, or whatever sits at the root of the pain. Put that together with real weight loss and the knee pain ought to be sorted.
 
moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
 
GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
I'm not sure what the answer is.. so this is an off-the-cuff response..

Still, if you dropped 100lbs, wouldn't that ease the strain on your knees?

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for?
 
GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.

You specified glp only. My point was that individuals come to this forum seeking options that are NOT FDA approved or prescribed by their physicians. So when quoting, please remain on topic. On top of that, not every glp people use has FDA approval or is even on the market yet. Therefore, criticizing someone who simply wants help interpreting an article is unwarranted, just because another person turns to grey market glp for some health issue. A lot of these peptides lack clinical studies. Which one are you using?
 
BKPATL said:

AllCourtTENNIS said:

Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
My diagnosis is bone on bone arthritis. 2-4 days after starting reta, the pain in my knee and leg dropped by probably 90%. No weight had come off at that point. So the GLP-1 alone is doing something about the inflammation, or whatever sits at the root of the pain. Put that together with real weight loss and the knee pain ought to be sorted.
Before any weight came off, CBS spoke with a few other individuals who experienced comparable anti-inflammatory pain relief while using GLPs.
 
AllCourtTENNIS said:


I've been trying to calculate the load relief on my joints since weight loss. I don't actually have arthritis, but this article that predates GLP1s concludes that "each unit of weight loss was related to a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2." They also quantify joint alignment differences in ways I don't fully follow. I am not sciency enough to critique the study's math or methods, but this feels true in my body. A 25lb loss provides 55lb of load relief and a 50lb loss provides 110lb of load relief, for example. I think this comes closest to quantifying how much better I feel now. I've tried talking to people about it, and the relief (not just knees) of joint pain, strain, and stress is somehow higher than the number of total weight lost. I know part of it is the anti-inflammatory benefits of GLP1s but I think load and alignment changes also feel incredibly good.

Does anyone with the ability to interpret this article have any insights or other (better) articles to read?

Click to expand...
Every so often my knee acts up. Whether that's arthritis or gout, I can't say for sure. Seeing a doctor is something I keep putting off because of time, though booking a visit to have it looked at is probably the right move.
 
Skidude said:

GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
I'm not sure what the answer is.. so this is an off-the-cuff response..

Still, if you dropped 100lbs, wouldn't that ease the strain on your knees?

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for?

If someone dropped 100 lbs, would their knees improve? There may be some benefit, yet I question whether it would outperform what GLPs accomplish. Back when I carried considerably less weight and was far more active, my knees still gave me trouble. That is just how my particular genetics played out. Sema has essentially wiped out that pain for me, and I still have a fair amount of weight left to shed.

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for? It hinges on your perspective.

At this moment, a particular Reta study is underway that combines weight loss with knee arthritis treatment.

Originally, they were made for managing blood sugar, and later efforts have shifted toward obesity therapies. The anti-inflammatory effects that follow do considerable good.

According to 1 survey, 1 in 8 Americans currently use a GLP-1. I am unsure how accurate that figure is. Regardless, a substantial number of people now take them -- via prescriptions, compounders, or grey. That opens up plenty of room for research.
 
4StrandKnot said:

Skidude said:

GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
I'm not sure what the answer is.. so this is an off-the-cuff response..

Still, if you dropped 100lbs, wouldn't that ease the strain on your knees?

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for?

If someone dropped 100 lbs, would their knees improve? There may be some benefit, yet I question whether it would outperform what GLPs accomplish. Back when I carried considerably less weight and was far more active, my knees still gave me trouble. That is just how my particular genetics played out. Sema has essentially wiped out that pain for me, and I still have a fair amount of weight left to shed.

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for? It hinges on your perspective.

At this moment, a particular Reta study is underway that combines weight loss with knee arthritis treatment.

Originally, they were made for managing blood sugar, and later efforts have shifted toward obesity therapies. The anti-inflammatory effects that follow do considerable good.

According to 1 survey, 1 in 8 Americans currently use a GLP-1. I am unsure how accurate that figure is. Regardless, a substantial number of people now take them -- via prescriptions, compounders, or grey. That opens up plenty of room for research.
It's fascinating that relief comes up so often — I realize anti-inflammatory effects are central to the GLP1 discussion. For everyone who gets that benefit, I'm genuinely glad.

I think my earlier comment landed the wrong way, and that wasn't my intention at all.

That said, it was a whiskey post, written late at night.

Those don't always turn out great...

GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
This is the bit that caught me off guard..
 
Skidude said:

4StrandKnot said:

Skidude said:

GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
I'm not sure what the answer is.. so this is an off-the-cuff response..

Still, if you dropped 100lbs, wouldn't that ease the strain on your knees?

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for?

If someone dropped 100 lbs, would their knees improve? There may be some benefit, yet I question whether it would outperform what GLPs accomplish. Back when I carried considerably less weight and was far more active, my knees still gave me trouble. That is just how my particular genetics played out. Sema has essentially wiped out that pain for me, and I still have a fair amount of weight left to shed.

Was pain relief the purpose they were created for? It hinges on your perspective.

At this moment, a particular Reta study is underway that combines weight loss with knee arthritis treatment.

Originally, they were made for managing blood sugar, and later efforts have shifted toward obesity therapies. The anti-inflammatory effects that follow do considerable good.

According to 1 survey, 1 in 8 Americans currently use a GLP-1. I am unsure how accurate that figure is. Regardless, a substantial number of people now take them -- via prescriptions, compounders, or grey. That opens up plenty of room for research.
It's fascinating that relief comes up so often — I realize anti-inflammatory effects are central to the GLP1 discussion. For everyone who gets that benefit, I'm genuinely glad.

I think my earlier comment landed the wrong way, and that wasn't my intention at all.

That said, it was a whiskey post, written late at night.

Those don't always turn out great...

GLiPtest said:

moodymama76 said:

lastresort said:

Your plan is to trial a peptide against a symptom you haven't identified, rather than see a doctor for a proper diagnosis?
The other side of the coin is that failed medical systems are why every one of us is here. We are here to get our hands on things the medical systems neither supply nor even approve.
GLPs came out of the “system”, and research launched by the “system” produced strong proof that they lower knee pain effectively (meaning anecdotes aren’t necessary), plus knee pain is an FDA-approved reason in its own right to prescribe GLPs — so calling that a “failure” seems strange.
This is the bit that caught me off guard..
Whiskey has my full support — 100% — and that includes whiskey posts late at night 😅

To me it didn't read as hurtful; it read as a fair question. Losing weight and overcoming obesity can bring plenty of benefits.

What caught me off guard was just how much the pain eased, and that happened before I hit my goal. On top of that, moving around more and exercising more helps a great deal, and so does forming better habits and taking weight off.
 
Calm Logic said:

BKPATL said:

AllCourtTENNIS said:

Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
My diagnosis is bone on bone arthritis. 2-4 days after starting reta, the pain in my knee and leg dropped by probably 90%. No weight had come off at that point. So the GLP-1 alone is doing something about the inflammation, or whatever sits at the root of the pain. Put that together with real weight loss and the knee pain ought to be sorted.
Before any weight came off, CBS spoke with a few other individuals who experienced comparable anti-inflammatory pain relief while using GLPs.
A solid video from '24. I'd like to see them make another. It's useful for people unfamiliar with peptides, and for anyone who assumes this is 'dangerous.'
 
Calm Logic said:

BKPATL said:

AllCourtTENNIS said:

Since losing weight I have been trying to work out how much load has come off my joints. Arthritis is not something I actually have, but this article that predates GLP1s reached the conclusion that every unit of weight lost translated into a reduction in knee joint loads by a factor of 2.2. Joint alignment differences are also quantified in there, in ways I don't fully follow. I lack the science to critique the study's maths or methods, but it rings true in my own body. A 25lb loss, for instance, takes 55lb of load off, and a 50lb loss takes off 110lb. That comes closest, I think, to putting a number on how much better I feel now. I've tried raising it with people, and the relief from joint pain, strain and stress - knees and elsewhere - somehow exceeds what the total weight lost would suggest. Part of it is the anti-inflammatory effect of GLP1s, I know, but the changes in load and alignment feel remarkably good too.

If anyone here can properly interpret that article, I would love your insights - or pointers to other, better papers.
My diagnosis is bone on bone arthritis. 2-4 days after starting reta, the pain in my knee and leg dropped by probably 90%. No weight had come off at that point. So the GLP-1 alone is doing something about the inflammation, or whatever sits at the root of the pain. Put that together with real weight loss and the knee pain ought to be sorted.
Before any weight came off, CBS spoke with a few other individuals who experienced comparable anti-inflammatory pain relief while using GLPs.
I poked around with an AI to look into this, and here's what it gave me back:

Retatrutide does more than simply take pounds off the body when it comes to knee osteoarthritis — it eases the pain and boosts joint function, with trials recording a direct pain drop of as much as 73% to 75%. In the same way as semaglutide, these drugs that act on multiple hormones cut down the low-grade, whole-body inflammation that pushes joint tissue to break down.
 
Back
Top