How do you all affordably cover your micronutrient needs with fruits and vegetables?

Every day I have something fermented — either sauerkraut or Kimchi — plus steamed broccoli, roasted veggies, onion and garlic, and sweet potatoes. And orange slices alongside my olives (a mad obsession of mine).
 
birdwhacker said:

DunningKruger said:

Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

View attachment 10133
I'm on board with liver being beneficial, but cutting vegetables out entirely doesn't sit right with me. Every vitamin shown in that image is something I take as a supplement. Honestly, when I said micronutrients I meant "the stuff that isn't vitamins." Sure, I can get all of that from liver, meat and similar sources, yet I still felt terrible... Then out of nowhere you add a pomegranate and a heap of asparagus, and suddenly you're feeling incredible. On paper that's probably just vitamin C and ALA, but for some reason the whole food version delivers more.

I don't mean to knock the liver approach, it's simply that my family did the carnivore thing for a while and I am completely done with it. For me at least, organs don't replace vegetables.
For my part, vegetables are part of my diet—liver isn’t the only thing I eat. Choosing liver doesn’t mean going full carnivore, and it isn’t meant to take the place of veggies. In Eastern Europe, people eat liver on a regular basis too.

Because I’m on reta and deal with chronic ibs, getting down big amounts of vegetables is hard for me. On top of that, vegetable prices keep getting more and more outrageous. Liver packs a lot of nutrients into a small serving, so a little goes a long way.
 
birdwhacker said:

CandyCap said:

Microgreens are what I cultivate. They're quite cheap and really simple to grow. In sandwiches and salads, I really enjoy them. They work well in a pita, or on tacos as well.
Wow, this reply probably gets overlooked more than any other in this thread! Which plants are you cultivating? Would you be up for posting some photos?
This week we're heading out on a camping trip, so right now there's nothing growing that I could photograph 😞

What I cultivate: peas (they make incredible pesto!), sunflower, radish, basil, kale, beets, red clover, mustard, cilantro. These bring excellent taste to many different dishes. My usual approach is one half-tray filled with a blend of mild varieties, and the other half-tray as a spicy combination.

My seed source is https://sproutpeople.org/

Their guide on growing them is definitely worth a look.

I own 2 very large trays that I keep rotating, which gives me a steady supply.
 
Getting micronutrients and ensuring you eat a range of vegetables is easiest with frozen vegetables from a nearby supermarket. They cost so little!! particularly at Walmart.
 
Mostly, I cultivate my own produce whenever possible. That's among other approaches.

This season I've planted far more tomatoes than necessary, and it doesn't bother me at all. I anticipated the direction tomato costs were heading, so now 15 plants are in the soil and blooming; every one is an heirloom variety. Colder weather isn't affecting them, while people nearby are freaking out over soil temperatures. It appears there are plenty of first-time gardeners this year. That also brings a TON of bad advice about raising crops. If I hear another so-called "master gardener" advise someone to trim their 'mater down to a single solitary leader again, I'm going to snap.

Plus... if they didn't want me to avoid paying for 9 dollar butter (and have it somehow wind up in my pocket), they'd quit charging 9 dollar butter. Everyone I know despises loblaws.
 
I'm a fan of Asian markets for affordable produce and various other goods. Additional advice from the hypernutrition sphere:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rMdNn9XaXg

YouTube's AI summary:

In this video, Dr. Brooke Goldner provides practical advice for individuals or families trying to maintain a raw, hyper-nourishing diet on a tight budget. She emphasizes that healing is possible regardless of income and offers the following cost-saving strategies:

  • Forget organic requirements: Dr. Goldner stresses that you do not need to buy organic produce to experience the health benefits of her protocol (0:00 - 0:20, 0:42 - 1:15).
  • Shop at discount stores: Look for produce and staples like flax seeds at dollar stores (e.g., 99 Cent Stores). She suggests asking staff about delivery schedules to get the freshest stock (1:29 - 2:13).
  • Explore diverse markets: Walmart and Asian markets often carry produce at significantly lower prices than conventional grocery stores (2:14 - 2:44).
  • Time your farmer's market visits: Show up about 30 minutes before closing. Sellers are often willing to deeply discount the remaining produce rather than haul it back on their trucks (2:46 - 3:55).

Click to expand...
 
sheilarae74 said:

I've been putting so much attention on protein that I let my other nutrient needs slide. That's likely the reason I've been feeling so crappy. Thank you all for the good ideas.
Same here - I'll happily sit on my protein high horse with a steak or chicken thighs, but fruits and veggies just don't get the same priority... not even ahead of the booze. I know. I know.
 
At Costco you can get organic frozen broccoli, green beans, and corn - on the occasions I actually remember to eat vegetables, those are my staples.

My first hydroponic tower just came off my 3d printer, and it should end up costing roughly $45 - once Memorial Day has passed I'll connect it and find out what I'm able to grow. My strawberries are already planned, but since I'm the only person in my household who touches veggies and salads, being able to grab a fresh salad every day would be amazing.
 
Every morning I have an apple and a banana, plus I take a daily multivitamin and eat a cup of Costco's grilled vegetables.
 
Back
Top