How do you all affordably cover your micronutrient needs with fruits and vegetables?

birdwhacker

Explorer
Joined
Mar 28, 2026
Messages
591
Reaction score
0
Location
Florida
I'm beginning to suspect that frozen broccoli and apples just aren't enough.

What budget-friendly ways do you all use to get micronutrients? Blended frozen fruit? Raw milk hippy garbage? Asparagus? Brussels sprouts?
 
I add frozen wild blueberries to my overnight oats, plus frozen mixed vegetables, eggs, and plenty of baby spinach alongside most meals. Those tend to be among the cheapest options. Personally, I don't really make smoothies or drink my nutrients—I prefer getting calories from actual food because I enjoy eating.
 
Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

9ae5bdfaa50bc01a7d401271485d3611e02d52ae1426f4971b7203056785759d.png
 
Every day I down coconut water. There's even a chocolate version that tastes incredible. Coconut water has few calories and little sugar by nature, helps the heart, assists digestion, and provides potassium, magnesium, and sodium naturally.
 
DunningKruger said:

Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

View attachment 10133
Liver is something I really appreciate—not because of how it tastes, but because it acts like a natural multivitamin. That said, moderation matters since it's so nutrient-dense (ox liver especially, while chicken or pork liver is milder). My routine: cook chicken liver, freeze it in small amounts, and have some every couple of days or so. It helped me recover from several long-term health issues and stopped my hair from falling out. Another option is heart, which offers a similar but somewhat different nutrient mix.
 

Attachments

  • 9ae5bdfaa50bc01a7d401271485d3611e02d52ae1426f4971b7203056785759d.png
    9ae5bdfaa50bc01a7d401271485d3611e02d52ae1426f4971b7203056785759d.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 7
White potatoes deliver more potassium than bananas and are an unexpectedly solid source of vitamin C and B6, all while being inexpensive. Certain vegetarians will consume potatoes prepared BBQ style, along with cabbage "steaks" and carrot "bacon."

Here's my formula for affordable and nourishing:

(Sweet potato OR white potato OR rice) + (beans OR green veggies, such as spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, frozen peas with carrots)

An Asian noodle bowl with vegetables like cabbage and broccoli is another thing I'll put together. Corn on the cob is a favorite too, seasoned with only salt or pepper rather than butter. Collard greens cooked alongside kale and/or mustard greens also hit the spot for me.

When it comes to cost, bananas top my fruit list. They provide plenty of the soluble fiber pectin, and they belong to the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast), which helps ward off GI symptoms, including those from GLPs.

Oats are another budget-friendly option, offering a distinctive and excellent micronutrient profile. Just like @Tattoo85 , I'll occasionally add frozen blueberries to my oats (or to my cereal or yogurt).

Gemini said:


ec330111fc3a5f0187b1388efced146183526f54dee042227f2c0420ca7c4f2c.webp


Click to expand...
 
DunningKruger said:

Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

View attachment 10133
I'm on board with liver being beneficial, but cutting vegetables out entirely doesn't sit right with me. Every vitamin shown in that image is something I take as a supplement. Honestly, when I said micronutrients I meant "the stuff that isn't vitamins." Sure, I can get all of that from liver, meat and similar sources, yet I still felt terrible... Then out of nowhere you add a pomegranate and a heap of asparagus, and suddenly you're feeling incredible. On paper that's probably just vitamin C and ALA, but for some reason the whole food version delivers more.

I don't mean to knock the liver approach, it's simply that my family did the carnivore thing for a while and I am completely done with it. For me at least, organs don't replace vegetables.
 
birdwhacker said:

DunningKruger said:

Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

View attachment 10133
I'm on board with liver being beneficial, but cutting vegetables out entirely doesn't sit right with me. Every vitamin shown in that image is something I take as a supplement. Honestly, when I said micronutrients I meant "the stuff that isn't vitamins." Sure, I can get all of that from liver, meat and similar sources, yet I still felt terrible... Then out of nowhere you add a pomegranate and a heap of asparagus, and suddenly you're feeling incredible. On paper that's probably just vitamin C and ALA, but for some reason the whole food version delivers more.

I don't mean to knock the liver approach, it's simply that my family did the carnivore thing for a while and I am completely done with it. For me at least, organs don't replace vegetables.
I'm with you on that. Over the past 20 years I've cycled through every kind of diet, and at certain points I looked pretty good. Still, nothing has compared to how I've felt these last few years while eating a balanced diet full of fruit, vegetables, oats, sweet potatoes, and similar foods. I continue to take in more than 1g of protein per pound of body weight, and I still eat a good amount of meat. Yet when it comes to a calorie deficit in particular, none has ever been this easy to stick with — I get far more energy from the calories I do eat, and overall I just feel better.
 
I've been putting so much attention on protein that I let my other nutrient needs slide. That's likely the reason I've been feeling so crappy. Thank you all for the good ideas.
 
birdwhacker said:

DunningKruger said:

Liver is an option if you don't want to bother with vegetables.

View attachment 10133
I'm on board with liver being beneficial, but cutting vegetables out entirely doesn't sit right with me. Every vitamin shown in that image is something I take as a supplement. Honestly, when I said micronutrients I meant "the stuff that isn't vitamins." Sure, I can get all of that from liver, meat and similar sources, yet I still felt terrible... Then out of nowhere you add a pomegranate and a heap of asparagus, and suddenly you're feeling incredible. On paper that's probably just vitamin C and ALA, but for some reason the whole food version delivers more.

I don't mean to knock the liver approach, it's simply that my family did the carnivore thing for a while and I am completely done with it. For me at least, organs don't replace vegetables.
No worries at all. It isn’t a fit for everybody. Because I get MCAS reactions from a lot of fruits and vegetables, this approach has served me well for nearly 10 years, which is why I tend to suggest it up front.

If it were me, I’d worry less about the price tag and more about diversity, how good it tastes, what your body tolerates, and how much inflammation it causes.

Are there any farms or farmer’s markets close to where you live? Maybe a food coop or CSA in the area? Those can be solid ways to get veggies that are a bit cheaper and possibly less contaminated—though you’d need to check out the farm and talk with the owner about how they grow things first.
 
Into my protein shakes go kale and blueberries. Seaweed is part of my diet since it provides key minerals such as zinc and iodine. Sprouts are something I eat, and I keep meaning to grow them myself. They cost far less and you can raise several different types. When it comes to sulfurophane, broccoli is said to rank the highest. Nearly every day we have a salad that includes a wide range of vegetables, and we work in purple items such as cabbage and red onion. Dried herbs get added as well, because they bring both nutrients and taste.
 
Growing your own sprouts is a great suggestion. On a sandwich, they're delicious. I enjoy them pickled alongside purple onions for salads, veggie sandwiches, or veggie burgers.

Bell peppers that are frozen are inexpensive, though I prefer fresh ones because the flavor is better—even in a veggie omelet. Tacos and similar Mexican dishes make it simple to work in vegetables (try finely shredded cabbage rather than Iceberg lettuce), and the same goes for Asian stir fry. A sub shop in my area also puts cabbage in its subs.

Eating the rainbow on a budget: tips (attached):
 
Price gaps when picking fancier colors or types of a standard vegetable:

Gemini said:


The "Color Premium" in Vegetables

In most produce departments, the standard green or white version of a vegetable is treated as a high-volume commodity, while vibrant reds, purples, and yellows are categorized as "specialty" or "fancy" produce.

VegetableBaseline ColorPremium Color(s)Estimated Mark-upReason for Price DifferenceOnionYellowRed (Purple)15% – 25%Slightly lower production volume.PotatoWhite/RussetJapanese Purple300% – 500%Niche farming; lower yields per acre.CauliflowerWhiteOrange / Purple50% – 100%Heritage seeds; lower demand.CabbageGreenRed (Purple)10% – 30%Higher density and slower growth rate.Bell PepperGreenRed / Yellow / Orange50% – 150%Colored peppers are fully ripened (longer on the vine).CarrotsOrangePurple / Yellow / Red40% – 100%Usually sold in bunches vs. bulk bags.AsparagusGreenWhite / Purple50% – 80%White requires labor-intensive "mounding".CornYellow / WhiteBlue / Red / Purple100% – 200%Usually heirloom varieties; limited availability.KaleGreen (Curly)Lacinato (Black/Purple)20% – 40%Marketed as a "superfood" variety.Brussels SproutsGreenPurple60% – 100%Rare variety with a shorter harvest window.

Click to expand...
 
At the store where I shop, they sell large bags of every kind of salad green — spring mix, baby spinach, arugula mix, and so on — at a pretty low price. For my household, one of those bags plus a bottle apiece of red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and reasonably good olive oil stretches quite far...we're also fans of the big bags of mustard, collard, and turnip greens, which we steam or simmer (cajun seasoning, a squeeze o' lemon and/or a sprinkling of Crystal Hot Sauce, and you get yumyum greens plus pot liquor as a bonus).
 
CandyCap said:

Microgreens are what I cultivate. They're quite cheap and really simple to grow. In sandwiches and salads, I really enjoy them. They work well in a pita, or on tacos as well.
Wow, this reply probably gets overlooked more than any other in this thread! Which plants are you cultivating? Would you be up for posting some photos?
 
birdwhacker said:

I'm beginning to suspect that frozen broccoli and apples just aren't enough.

What budget-friendly ways do you all use to get micronutrients? Blended frozen fruit? Raw milk hippy garbage? Asparagus? Brussels sprouts?
Price-wise, I spend 25 dollars each month on a once-a-day plus A2Z, and I also cut down on calories.

birdwhacker said:

CandyCap said:

Microgreens are what I cultivate. They're quite cheap and really simple to grow. In sandwiches and salads, I really enjoy them. They work well in a pita, or on tacos as well.
Wow, this reply probably gets overlooked more than any other in this thread! Which plants are you cultivating? Would you be up for posting some photos?
The previous year I cultivated plenty of tomatoes, bell peppers, amaranthus, okra, spinach, squash, string beans, curry leaves, and eggplants. But prior to picking any of it, I traveled to India and foolishly began a dream mini-farm of my all-time favorite fruit. That mistake killed my enthusiasm for vegetables entirely. Once I got back, I simply gave the whole neighborhood the food.
 
At Costco, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, and Brussel sprouts come in bags that don't break the bank. These make up a big part of what we eat. Once summer arrives, we also visit farmers markets and pick up some excellent varieties there. Frozen vegetables in big bags from Costco work well too. Apples, grapes, strawberries, and blueberries are also available in enormous bags at Costco. That said, blueberries are priced extremely high this year.
 
birdwhacker said:

I'm beginning to suspect that frozen broccoli and apples just aren't enough.

What budget-friendly ways do you all use to get micronutrients? Blended frozen fruit? Raw milk hippy garbage? Asparagus? Brussels sprouts?
Picking up grapes at the supermarket without paying…
 
Back
Top