Has anyone used these?

s232412333

Explorer
Joined
Mar 12, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
Boise idaho
I got one of these through a clinic I'm involved with, and then saw them online too — they offer 3ml versions. Curious whether anyone here has tried them with 3ml bottles and luer pins?



98ca49fb2fcd76c6740f776f92fd72cc14e3b1f8b52b7ed07a6ce6213cc0a100.webp
 
For Hospira, I have worked with vial spikes that have luer connectors which stay shut when no syringe is connected (similar to an IV port). With 3 ml vials, though, I have never tried one that uses an open luer connection. The cost per vial strikes me as quite high, and there is also a contamination concern. Before anything else, I would want to review the studies.
 
FlowerFairy said:

For Hospira, I have worked with vial spikes that have luer connectors which stay shut when no syringe is connected (similar to an IV port). With 3 ml vials, though, I have never tried one that uses an open luer connection. The cost per vial strikes me as quite high, and there is also a contamination concern. Before anything else, I would want to review the studies.

The one I got from the clinics, which works with 10 ml vials, contains a plunger inside. That means you need to press the luer down hard to depress the plunger before you can pull. Still, I'm glad you mentioned it, since the photos do give the impression that it isn't sealed. I already have rubber caps for my vials, so I suppose you could draw with it, take it out, and then put the cap on.
 
s232412333 said:

FlowerFairy said:

For Hospira, I have worked with vial spikes that have luer connectors which stay shut when no syringe is connected (similar to an IV port). With 3 ml vials, though, I have never tried one that uses an open luer connection. The cost per vial strikes me as quite high, and there is also a contamination concern. Before anything else, I would want to review the studies.

The one I got from the clinics, which works with 10 ml vials, contains a plunger inside. That means you need to press the luer down hard to depress the plunger before you can pull. Still, I'm glad you mentioned it, since the photos do give the impression that it isn't sealed. I already have rubber caps for my vials, so I suppose you could draw with it, take it out, and then put the cap on.
You can also get curel alcohol caps. Several online sellers carry them.
 
FlowerFairy said:

For Hospira, I have worked with vial spikes that have luer connectors which stay shut when no syringe is connected (similar to an IV port). With 3 ml vials, though, I have never tried one that uses an open luer connection. The cost per vial strikes me as quite high, and there is also a contamination concern. Before anything else, I would want to review the studies.
I put GHK-Cu through reconstitution and filtration into a 3ml vial. Since I pin every day, a vial spike would have been a handy thing to have.

As for a pepper that only gets used about once a week, plastic is clearly something I don't need to add to the waste stream.
 
I took a quick glance at them, but they only seemed useful if you're pulling a huge number of doses out of 1 vial. And even in that case, switching to an injection pen strikes me as the more sensible option.
 
GTS97 said:

What purpose could that possibly serve?? Insulin syringes cost next to nothing and are simple to use.
The insulin syringe is not what this is meant to take the place of. What you have here is a vial spike: it keeps the self-healing stopper from being punctured over and over, which guards against coring and makes contamination less likely.
 
HereKittyKitty said:

GTS97 said:

What purpose could that possibly serve?? Insulin syringes cost next to nothing and are simple to use.
The insulin syringe is not what this is meant to take the place of. What you have here is a vial spike: it keeps the self-healing stopper from being punctured over and over, which guards against coring and makes contamination less likely.
No. Check the top opening's tip — threading is present so a luer lock syringe can be screwed on.

This thing exists to remove the need for a draw needle. It offers no reduction in contamination risk; in fact, the risk goes up because the opening is bigger and people might not clean that opening thoroughly enough.

I occasionally use them too, so I'm not trying to demonize them, but insulin syringes won't work with these and they don't give you extra safety.
 
BAC is the sole thing I spike a vial for. My routine: attach a Luer lock syringe, pull the BAC, then twist on a long needle for reconstitution, and with that same syringe and needle I pull out everything left in the vial. Off comes the needle, on goes a filter, and a fresh sterile needle goes onto the slip end of the filter before I push it through into a new sterile vial or cart.

Over the Luer port on the spike I place a new Curos cap, and the whole BAC setup — spike and cap included — lives in a tall 3D printed box made to hold 30 mL vials with spikes attached. (See example pic.)

For bigger multi-use vials — BAC, lidocaine, sodium bicarbonate and the like — I can see the appeal. In my own case though, it only pays off for BAC, which I reach for often. With big bottles I open rarely, a syringe and needle is preferable, since it keeps the puncture smaller.
 
Back
Top