Has anyone here used Vitamin D injections, and if so, how was your dosing and were there any side effects?

Sapphire0814

Explorer
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Location
CT
Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
 
Dose is unclear to me. Still, testing your level first is something you ought to do before starting. Also, out of curiosity, what makes injection preferable to a pill for Vitamin D?
 
Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Have your bloodwork done, then just use a supplement—what's the point of overcomplicating something that's easy? Also, excessive vitamin D may trigger rather unpleasant side effects.
 
Bluecost10 said:

Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Have your bloodwork done, then just use a supplement—what's the point of overcomplicating something that's easy? Also, excessive vitamin D may trigger rather unpleasant side effects.
yep — death.
 
eidos said:

Bluecost10 said:

Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Have your bloodwork done, then just use a supplement—what's the point of overcomplicating something that's easy? Also, excessive vitamin D may trigger rather unpleasant side effects.
yep — death.
Getting to the point of death requires a much larger amount and is much less common — well before reaching that stage, you would encounter many other issues first: nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, constipation, extreme thirst, frequent urination, weakness, fatigue, confusion, pain in muscles and bones, and kidney damage.
 
Since Vitamin D is fat soluble, it can accumulate in your system, which means taking too much is a real possibility. Lethargy, mental confusion, and other issues can show up as symptoms. That's what happened to me: after being diagnosed with low levels, I got a prescription for 10,000 IU capsules. I read the label wrong and began taking them every day rather than once a week. Only 4 days in, I was falling apart, and I had to tell my boss why my work had gone downhill. He assumed I was having a mental breakdown — and in some sense, I was.

You shouldn't treat Vitamin D lightly. You need to find out your baseline and understand exactly what dosages, if any, will fix it. And that's only talking about the pill version.
 
Bluecost10 said:

eidos said:

Bluecost10 said:

Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Have your bloodwork done, then just use a supplement—what's the point of overcomplicating something that's easy? Also, excessive vitamin D may trigger rather unpleasant side effects.
yep — death.
Getting to the point of death requires a much larger amount and is much less common — well before reaching that stage, you would encounter many other issues first: nausea, vomiting, appetite loss, constipation, extreme thirst, frequent urination, weakness, fatigue, confusion, pain in muscles and bones, and kidney damage.
No specifics were given by her regarding the amount she planned to inject.

A man in his 80s last year ended up with calcium deposits in his heart after excessive use over an extended period. Such cases are uncommon enough to become news stories. In my view, downplaying the dangers and letting a beginner assume there is no risk is unwise.
 
Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Get your levels tested first, then head to the US vendor CVS and pick up your pills from them.
 
Habibibi said:

Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Get your levels tested first, then head to the US vendor CVS and pick up your pills from them.
If someone is deficient, I'd expect OP's doctor to write a prescription for a high-dose Vitamin D without hesitation. Back when I had a deficiency, my regimen was 1 pill each week.
 
highlowwegot said:

Dose is unclear to me. Still, testing your level first is something you ought to do before starting. Also, out of curiosity, what makes injection preferable to a pill for Vitamin D?
My levels are low because my body has trouble absorbing it.
 
Habibibi said:

Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
Get your levels tested first, then head to the US vendor CVS and pick up your pills from them.
Great, thanks for the sarcasm. No need to worry about why I need it — that wasn’t what I asked.
 
I’ve gotten the shot on 2 occasions, and neither time caused me any problems. It moved me from 2 points above the bottom of the range up into the top 1/4 of the range, which was the target my dr set. Once the first injection was done, oral supplements kept my levels steady for just over a year, after which they began dropping again. Rather than let it fall all the way down, I got a second injection.
 
Hey!! My functional medicine doctor put me on a 0.5ml shot, twice weekly. I only began this week, and honestly I haven’t seen any side effects.

That said, I’m not sure whether taking that injection and my reta on the same day is what brought on horrible sulfur burps/diarrhea (sorry for the tmi) over the past few days, or whether it’s a stomach bug.
 
Sapphire0814 said:

Hey, is there anyone who currently uses or has previously used Vitamin D injections? If that applies to you, what dosing method did you follow, and did you notice any side affects?
My doctor gave me a prescription for a vitamin D injection, but the dose makes me uneasy. I've come across a lot of conflicting information, which is why I posted the question. On top of that, I'm on vitamin B12 as well, also prescribed by my doctor, and I inject it 1 time per month.
 
Are you getting as much sun exposure as you can outside of peak hours? Our bodies make vitamin D from UVB light on their own — it doesn't come from eating food, and certainly not from taking supplements.
 
indolent said:

Are you getting as much sun exposure as you can outside of peak hours? Our bodies make vitamin D from UVB light on their own — it doesn't come from eating food, and certainly not from taking supplements.
Nope — after my gastric bypass in 2007, my body just doesn't take in vitamins properly, and that includes some over-the-counter ones. I managed to stay slim for years, but then my sister died. I had a serious mental breakdown, and my doctor prescribed Paxil; I ended up putting back on nearly all the weight. Even so, my vitamin situation stayed the same. I'm currently on Tirzepitide, though that isn't what I'm asking about. What I'd like to learn is more about Vitamin D injections.
 
Sapphire0814 said:

indolent said:

Are you getting as much sun exposure as you can outside of peak hours? Our bodies make vitamin D from UVB light on their own — it doesn't come from eating food, and certainly not from taking supplements.
Nope — after my gastric bypass in 2007, my body just doesn't take in vitamins properly, and that includes some over-the-counter ones. I managed to stay slim for years, but then my sister died. I had a serious mental breakdown, and my doctor prescribed Paxil; I ended up putting back on nearly all the weight. Even so, my vitamin situation stayed the same. I'm currently on Tirzepitide, though that isn't what I'm asking about. What I'd like to learn is more about Vitamin D injections.
Your answer doesn’t make sense to me. Vitamin D isn’t something the body is meant to absorb...the body is meant to produce it. That process isn’t changed by gastric bypass. What does change it is spending too much time inside. If your doctor hasn’t already gone over this with you, look it up online (using trustworthy medical sources).
 
Sapphire0814 said:

indolent said:

Are you getting as much sun exposure as you can outside of peak hours? Our bodies make vitamin D from UVB light on their own — it doesn't come from eating food, and certainly not from taking supplements.
Nope — after my gastric bypass in 2007, my body just doesn't take in vitamins properly, and that includes some over-the-counter ones. I managed to stay slim for years, but then my sister died. I had a serious mental breakdown, and my doctor prescribed Paxil; I ended up putting back on nearly all the weight. Even so, my vitamin situation stayed the same. I'm currently on Tirzepitide, though that isn't what I'm asking about. What I'd like to learn is more about Vitamin D injections.
When a physician prescribes injections, there's likely a solid rationale behind it, and having undergone gastric bypass means you're more prone to deficiencies.

As for those advising you to get more sunshine, that isn't necessarily the fix. I garden in direct sunlight for multiple hours daily wearing shorts and a sports bra, and having lived in a beach town, I've worn a bikini for much of my life, yet I've still struggled with low levels. Certain genetic mutations can also result in poor conversion. Not everyone has the same response.

I'm sorry about your sister's passing, and I hope your levels reach an optimal range.
 
For 2 years, I got my levels tested every 3 months. 5000 UI daily turned out to be my ideal amount.

Could be chance, but when my son had his checked 3 times (once every 6 months), the same dosage also landed him in the high 4th quartile of normal.

My daughter was clinically deficient at one point, so she started on 10,000 UI per day for 2 months, after which she was instructed to drop to 5000 UI per day as maintenance.

So for my whole family, 5000 UI per day appears to be effective. And that guidance came from 3 different MD's.

Being in the sun for 5-30 min can produce as much vitamin D as 400UI to 1000UI taken orally, which keeps you out of the danger zone, but it typically falls short of optimization. Given that all of us are injecting to become our optimal best selves, I believe that fact is worth knowing.




Vitamin D—is the sun enough for us? - PMC



Vitamin D is the easiest available of the exogenous vitamins, just to go outside on a sunny day …. This, of course, is a simplification, but it raises some considerations, such as whether enjoying the beautiful weather during summer will provide us ...

4d13c41cbc0409fb932089618e379d69d6e07846fc324487242c1d77d1bad140.png



pmc.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
 
Back
Top