Freezing & thawing before reconstitution: what works best?

Beachnwaves98

Explorer
Joined
May 2, 2026
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Location
Newport Beach, CA 92661
Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
 
1 - Thawing is basically instant. Around 10 mins, I'd say?

2 - It will, you just need to follow good practices, for example wiping the top down with an alcohol wipe and never reusing the same needle twice. It ought to last several months without issue.

2a - Realistically you wouldn't. In the worst case you'd spot something growing in there, though that's almost never reported. If you're planning to keep it longer than, say, 4-6 months, then you might as well throw it out, but by definition it's sterile...
 
What I do based on my own experience:

1. First thing I do is pull my Reta from the freezer, and only after that do I start gathering and sanitizing everything needed for reconstitution. Once all the supplies are assembled and I've wiped the vials and the work area, that's when I reconstitute. That's the entire thaw period I allow.

2. I keep using my BAC until the vial is empty. Where you draw the line on risk might not match mine.

2a. As long as it's transparent and appears unchanged from how it looked before the first puncture, I go ahead with it.

Once more, all of this comes down to how much risk you're willing to accept. I have confidence in how I prep every surface and in my sanitary technique. If anything looks wrong, that's my cue to throw it out.
 
The powder itself isn’t actually frozen, since hardly any water remains in it — it has simply been chilled. Although adding BAC water immediately probably wouldn’t put the peptide at significant risk, I still like to let the vial come back to room temperature first. I set the vials on a small metal tray and leave them there for 30 minutes to an hour, then check with my hand how warm they feel.

Yes, some people keep using Hospira for 90 days or even longer. There’s nothing present to nourish bacteria introduced each time the seal is punctured. As long as you stick to proper aseptic technique, that shouldn’t cause any trouble.

Two things can become more of a concern: pH drift, and oxidation from oxygen in the air that gets into the vial.

Oxidation creates benzaldehyde, though the amounts are far too low to be toxic when injected. Still, if your BAC smells of almonds, that indicates too much has formed, and you should move to another bottle. Our noses are extremely sensitive to it, but confirming the exact quantity would require a spectrometer.

For pH drift, use test strips calibrated to roughly 4 to 7. Certain strips have two pads and give accuracy of 0.25.

Once pH goes above 7-8, deamidation is favored. Because Reta includes glutamine (and Tirz too: I’d need to check, I’ve forgotten), above that pH the degradation rate is around 10 to 20% each month. I’ve come across a few studies supporting this, but I didn’t keep the links.
 
LongevitybroTX said:

1 - Thawing is basically instant. Around 10 mins, I'd say?

2 - It will, you just need to follow good practices, for example wiping the top down with an alcohol wipe and never reusing the same needle twice. It ought to last several months without issue.

2a - Realistically you wouldn't. In the worst case you'd spot something growing in there, though that's almost never reported. If you're planning to keep it longer than, say, 4-6 months, then you might as well throw it out, but by definition it's sterile...
Really appreciate it .., exactly the information I was after 🙏
 
Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
 
CharmanderInDisguise said:

What I do based on my own experience:

1. First thing I do is pull my Reta from the freezer, and only after that do I start gathering and sanitizing everything needed for reconstitution. Once all the supplies are assembled and I've wiped the vials and the work area, that's when I reconstitute. That's the entire thaw period I allow.

2. I keep using my BAC until the vial is empty. Where you draw the line on risk might not match mine.

2a. As long as it's transparent and appears unchanged from how it looked before the first puncture, I go ahead with it.

Once more, all of this comes down to how much risk you're willing to accept. I have confidence in how I prep every surface and in my sanitary technique. If anything looks wrong, that's my cue to throw it out.
This is fantastic guidance, thank you so much. The timing couldn't be better since my vials show up this week.

I've now landed on 4 mg weekly as my dose. Reta has me genuinely excited, and I intend to stay on it right up until I hit my goal.

Sticking to the best practices is obv the most efficient route to get there. Thanks once more 🙏
 
eidos said:

The powder itself isn’t actually frozen, since hardly any water remains in it — it has simply been chilled. Although adding BAC water immediately probably wouldn’t put the peptide at significant risk, I still like to let the vial come back to room temperature first. I set the vials on a small metal tray and leave them there for 30 minutes to an hour, then check with my hand how warm they feel.

Yes, some people keep using Hospira for 90 days or even longer. There’s nothing present to nourish bacteria introduced each time the seal is punctured. As long as you stick to proper aseptic technique, that shouldn’t cause any trouble.

Two things can become more of a concern: pH drift, and oxidation from oxygen in the air that gets into the vial.

Oxidation creates benzaldehyde, though the amounts are far too low to be toxic when injected. Still, if your BAC smells of almonds, that indicates too much has formed, and you should move to another bottle. Our noses are extremely sensitive to it, but confirming the exact quantity would require a spectrometer.

For pH drift, use test strips calibrated to roughly 4 to 7. Certain strips have two pads and give accuracy of 0.25.

Once pH goes above 7-8, deamidation is favored. Because Reta includes glutamine (and Tirz too: I’d need to check, I’ve forgotten), above that pH the degradation rate is around 10 to 20% each month. I’ve come across a few studies supporting this, but I didn’t keep the links.
Thank you, this is an outstanding and very technical reply — particularly the part about telling when BAC water is no longer good. Since telehealth can't give medical guidance before FDA approval, that's obviously harder to assess, so this is genuinely useful. Thanks again 🙏
 
LongevitybroTX said:

1 - Thawing is basically instant. Around 10 mins, I'd say?

2 - It will, you just need to follow good practices, for example wiping the top down with an alcohol wipe and never reusing the same needle twice. It ought to last several months without issue.

2a - Realistically you wouldn't. In the worst case you'd spot something growing in there, though that's almost never reported. If you're planning to keep it longer than, say, 4-6 months, then you might as well throw it out, but by definition it's sterile...

Everything is exactly right and very concise, thank you very much, practical guidance in so many different forms is incredibly useful. Thankful for this community - Reddit sucks lol
 
ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
 
BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
 
BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
Thanks for the input. Yes, I did use them to reconstitute my first vial. Those bigger syringes were purchased some time back so I could use up leftover Tirzepitide from vials I already had.

The brand is Exlavges, and I got them through Amazon.

I’m not planning to filter — I don’t really see what situation that would be needed for?

Thanks once more.
 
Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
23G, 3 mL, 1 inch needle … Exlavges came from Amazon, purchased some time back for getting the leftover Tirzepatide out of older vials
 
Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
 
BNLFL said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
A walkthrough would really help, honestly lol
 
Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
A walkthrough would really help, honestly lol
My filtering process is pretty much identical. When I push the filtered compound into the new vial, I put in a second needle to let air escape. For pen cartridges this matters more, though it also does the job on standard vials.

YouTube has plenty of walkthroughs. Peptide Critic's style works for me, but other channels are just as helpful.
 
CharmanderInDisguise said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
A walkthrough would really help, honestly lol
My filtering process is pretty much identical. When I push the filtered compound into the new vial, I put in a second needle to let air escape. For pen cartridges this matters more, though it also does the job on standard vials.

YouTube has plenty of walkthroughs. Peptide Critic's style works for me, but other channels are just as helpful.
Same here. I left that part out. I don't use pens—everything I have is in vials.
 
BNLFL said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
Which filters are in your rotation, and what’s your source for them?
 
Pocket said:

BNLFL said:

Bigdog0628 said:

BNLFL said:

ultima thule said:

Beachnwaves98 said:

Hey everyone - this week I should be getting 3 vials of Reta 20mg, delivered as lyophilized powder. I haven't done the freeze-then-thaw-then-reconstitute routine before.

A few things I'd like the more experienced folks here to weigh in on:

1 - Once the powder has been frozen, how much thaw time should I give it before I mix in the Hospira BAC water?

2 - I've heard that Hospira keeps working for several months after the seal is broken, as long as it stays in the fridge the whole time - is that accurate?

2a - What signs would tell you that Hospira is no longer good?

Thanks so much in advance 🙏
Because of Hospira water...every maker of bac water advises keeping opened vials at room temperature, rather than in the fridge.
That's right, and I keep using it until nothing is left. Store it somewhere without light as well. That goes for the sealed vials too. Have you gathered everything you need for reconstitution? You'll want larger luer lock syringes for the BAC, plus spare luer lock needles, among them a 1.5" one in a bigger gauge. Do you plan on filtering? And finally, which brand and what size syringes do you have on hand.
For reconstitution alone, which needle gauge and length do you use?
I own plenty of them, though for mixing I mostly reach for 25g 1" luer locks paired with either a 3ml or 5ml luer lock syringe. After that, I take a 5ml syringe plus a 1.5" leur lock needle to draw out the combined liquid. I attach a filter along with a fresh 1" luer lock needle. Next I run roughly 1mg BAC through the filter to rinse it, using an inexpensive 1ml luer lock syringe. It may sound like a lot, yet 2 vials run me around 15 minutes. Every one of these needles and syringes comes cheap from Amazon. For pinning I use Easy Touch and BD 31g 8mm .05 and 1ml units. Both perform great, with perhaps a slight edge toward the ET.
Which filters are in your rotation, and what’s your source for them?
Biologix 13mm, ordered straight from the company. 100 of them for about $50.
 
Back
Top