First-Timer's Crypto Journey: My Experience

ChicagoFit said:

The moment I reached out to the vendor, the whole idea of a hassle-free crypto payment fell apart. I had given them a heads-up: "Crypto novice here. I need hand-holding." What I pictured was a smooth, guided walkthrough. What I got? Nothing but silence. It wasn't even clear if the vendor's English was good enough to assist, assuming they wanted to.

Since the vendor was a bust, I turned to online experts: YouTube and AI. After spending hours watching tutorials, I described my situation to Gemini, which responded with a set of extremely confident, almost biblical instructions. The first rule: "Thou shalt only proceed on thy Android phone".

Then came the search for a wallet. Exodus was praised everywhere—called the "easiest wallet to use" in forum chatter. Downloading it took no time. The disappointment hit right after. The polished app I saw didn't match the old versions shown in the YouTube videos, which made an otherwise "straight forward" task feel really stressful. Just before I added funds, Gemini jumped in with a clever, fee-saving idea: use Google Wallet and connect a debit card. I did that. What happened? A frustrating, pointless struggle. Google Wallet and Google Pay simply wouldn't work with Exodus, so I got angry, quit, and quickly installed a new option: Coinbase.

Starting over meant watching new YouTube guides. Coinbase looked easy enough. But it wasn't Coinbase anymore—it had turned into Base. After getting "Base," I had a small win: I managed to load the wallet with $300 directly from my bank. It worked! After a day or two of finding time, I was set for the final step.

The goal: $282 in USDC. The vendor gave me a QR code for USDC on Solana (sol). For days that felt endless, the Base wallet kept rejecting it, showing the same vague message: "the QR was not recognizable". I tried countless times and in countless ways, like I was fighting a digital phantom. Then, out of nowhere, the vendor sent a different QR code. This time it was for USDC on Ethereum. Boom! The transfer went through right away. What a relief.

The money got there. Victory felt great—until the vendor hit me with the catch. The items I wanted from the US warehouse were suddenly unavailable. They'd ship from China instead, with a promise of delivery in ten days or less. After all that crypto mess? I said go ahead. Check back for the update!
Your story matches mine quite closely, except I haven't reached the vendor order stage yet, and by now I've spent more than 3 weeks going through everything posted in this forum 😂
 
Tinlilies said:

mtomm said:

BNLFL said:


I didn't see the shipping price listed, and was the using a card any issue?

Click to expand...
My payment went through Venmo, and he tacks on 3%. Credit cards are accepted too, though that comes with a 6% fee. Each package cost $20 to ship.
Who's the vendor you're buying from that takes Venmo?
AminoLair is the one.
 
Elocin said:

ChicagoFit said:

For those who caught my OP, the crypto went out on March 4th to cover Retatrutide, MOTS-c, and SS-31.

While I was buried in the supply chain mechanics, a bead of sweat formed on my brow. What was the number of possible failure points?

The shipment arrived on March 14th—precisely 10 days afterward—and mixing the Retatrutide went just as smoothly as I had anticipated, with the solution falling comfortably inside standard ranges and prepared for the upcoming stage of the process.

On the tech side, plenty of people are discussing the move away from the classic Coinbase exchange toward the Base app on Android, yet that change turns out to be rather graceful provided you hold the correct mental framework.

Picture Coinbase as an airport—the essential portal where you connect your bank account, pass through a digital customs check, and get your luggage ready for departure. During your time in that terminal, the exchange holds “custody” over your money. The instant you shift those assets over to the Base network, though, you have arrived at your destination. The crypto is now in your custody.

That is the point where everything clicks and the balance of power reverses completely. Within the Base ecosystem, you have stepped into genuine self-custody. As soon as your crypto reaches that network, neither your bank nor the exchange remains an "interested party" in your business transactions. No longer are you merely a passenger; you are the one flying your own digital economy. Be it dialing in a peptide package or locking down your financial independence, the objective does not change: complete control.

Keep this in mind, from someone who used to be a virgin: The process is like a penis. Sometimes its up. Sometimes its down. However, its never hard forever.
Came across this thread while digging around for Crypto details. Yeah, I realize it's dated, but I couldn't stop laughing!! 😂😂
In that case, my ongoing saga should entertain you plenty. Yes, it happened—I'm no longer a beginner. What I learned next is that crypto behaves a lot like a penis: it rises, it falls, and it never stays firm indefinitely. I stepped away for a bit, went back over my steps, and the whole thing went off without a hitch.
 
attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Same situation here. I've read endlessly about this, installed countless apps, and burned so much time just trying to find my way around them (discord and telegram completely stump me, never mind coinbase, exodus, or the many others I've poured hours and mental energy into). Nobody I actually know has the slightest idea about any of it either (well, maybe discord, but the channels they're in look totally different?). How anyone cracks this is beyond me — I feel utterly incompetent. All the reading and research isn't getting me anywhere; with the hours I've put in I ought to have a PhD in this by now, yet I'm more lost than I was 6 months ago!
 
I hold several humanities degrees and my job is discussing stories, yet I still managed to work this out. If I could do it, so can you — that's a promise.

My setup is simple: the Exodus wallet. Loading funds through moonpay can be extremely glitchy at times, but it has never left me completely stranded.
 
attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Over on quallіgator there's a crypto concierge service. Plenty of folks go through him when they buy, and his cut is just a modest fee. His feedback is excellent. I even picked up a kit from leftovers of one of his group buys. You shouldn't feel cornered into paying inflated prices from resellers. Send me a DM and I'll point you his way, unless you're already on the quallіgator forum.
 
Scarroll said:

attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Same situation here. I've read endlessly about this, installed countless apps, and burned so much time just trying to find my way around them (discord and telegram completely stump me, never mind coinbase, exodus, or the many others I've poured hours and mental energy into). Nobody I actually know has the slightest idea about any of it either (well, maybe discord, but the channels they're in look totally different?). How anyone cracks this is beyond me — I feel utterly incompetent. All the reading and research isn't getting me anywhere; with the hours I've put in I ought to have a PhD in this by now, yet I'm more lost than I was 6 months ago!
I may be up there in years, but I can usually handle technology without much trouble. Even so, wrapping my head around this whole thing ate up 3 days. I honestly felt pretty foolish. My boyfriend is an engineer and sharp as they come, and when he glanced at what I was doing he just said "oof! you're on your own with this one". Stick with it — you'll figure it out. The process is definitely confusing, but just move through it one step at a time. Which part is holding you up right now? I'm happy to try and lend a hand.
 
laansasa said:

Scarroll said:

attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Same situation here. I've read endlessly about this, installed countless apps, and burned so much time just trying to find my way around them (discord and telegram completely stump me, never mind coinbase, exodus, or the many others I've poured hours and mental energy into). Nobody I actually know has the slightest idea about any of it either (well, maybe discord, but the channels they're in look totally different?). How anyone cracks this is beyond me — I feel utterly incompetent. All the reading and research isn't getting me anywhere; with the hours I've put in I ought to have a PhD in this by now, yet I'm more lost than I was 6 months ago!
I may be up there in years, but I can usually handle technology without much trouble. Even so, wrapping my head around this whole thing ate up 3 days. I honestly felt pretty foolish. My boyfriend is an engineer and sharp as they come, and when he glanced at what I was doing he just said "oof! you're on your own with this one". Stick with it — you'll figure it out. The process is definitely confusing, but just move through it one step at a time. Which part is holding you up right now? I'm happy to try and lend a hand.
That would be great, thank you. Progress on my end has been slow — months just to reach this point. As of right now, this is my roadblock: I have to transfer a small test amount of crypto to a vendor. My situation is that kraken holds only regular currency for me, and my exodus wallet has nothing in it. I'm working from desktop browsers rather than a mobile device. So what should I do, in what order?
 
Good-Heart6425 said:

laansasa said:

Scarroll said:

attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Same situation here. I've read endlessly about this, installed countless apps, and burned so much time just trying to find my way around them (discord and telegram completely stump me, never mind coinbase, exodus, or the many others I've poured hours and mental energy into). Nobody I actually know has the slightest idea about any of it either (well, maybe discord, but the channels they're in look totally different?). How anyone cracks this is beyond me — I feel utterly incompetent. All the reading and research isn't getting me anywhere; with the hours I've put in I ought to have a PhD in this by now, yet I'm more lost than I was 6 months ago!
I may be up there in years, but I can usually handle technology without much trouble. Even so, wrapping my head around this whole thing ate up 3 days. I honestly felt pretty foolish. My boyfriend is an engineer and sharp as they come, and when he glanced at what I was doing he just said "oof! you're on your own with this one". Stick with it — you'll figure it out. The process is definitely confusing, but just move through it one step at a time. Which part is holding you up right now? I'm happy to try and lend a hand.
That would be great, thank you. Progress on my end has been slow — months just to reach this point. As of right now, this is my roadblock: I have to transfer a small test amount of crypto to a vendor. My situation is that kraken holds only regular currency for me, and my exodus wallet has nothing in it. I'm working from desktop browsers rather than a mobile device. So what should I do, in what order?
Kraken isn't what I use — coinbase is my platform. Are you able to purchase crypto on kraken using the non-crypto funds you have there? Be sure to get the specific type you require (USDC-Solana, USDT-Etherium, and so on). I once bought ERC by mistake (a vendor told me it was necessary), and afterward I was completely lost on how to swap it into USDT.

On coinbase, I learned I needed to select USDC Solana at purchase time, otherwise I'd be stuck converting it down the line.
 
laansasa said:

Good-Heart6425 said:

laansasa said:

Scarroll said:

attcbf said:

ChicagoFit said:

attcbf said:

I’m still stuck in the middle of trying to finish my very first transaction. I’ve read plenty about gubmnt cracdowns, frozen accts, and other horrors, and that made me extremely hesitant to step into crypto at all. Like chicagofit, I also went to you tube and asked my friend, Claude. I told it I wanted ease, minimal hold times, and low fees, and I found none of that.

After a week and more hours than I want to tally, I’m now setting up my 3rd wallet, and none of them hold any crypto. I wanted to use ACH with Kraken, but learned it comes with a 7-day wait period. I figured Moonpay was the solution, but discovered (1) they permit ACH only for sales, not purchases (even though the support chatbot said I could), and (2) it keeps rejecting my debit cards (even though I’ve checked with banks and there are no crypto restrictions). Now I’m trying Gemini and hoping this nightmare ends soon. Wish me luck.
Appreciate it — it helps to realize other people are dealing with the same mess.
Update. I'm at the point where I want to hurl my computer, my phone, and anything else I've used for crypto purchases straight into a wall. 😠 Dozens of hours have gone down the drain, plus many days spent waiting on different exchanges to resolve the numerous obstacles I've hit (and yes, that word choice is intentional—I still haven't managed to clear those hurdles). On top of that, I found out that most support messages sent by email don't permit any reply. The only route to communicate is through online chat, and in my case, that hasn't fixed a single thing. It's enough to drive you crazy.

At long last, I managed to purchase USDT, but then the exchange wouldn't allow me to move it to my wallet. I escalated the support chat, yet the entire week has passed with me waiting for the hold—or whatever they call it—to be lifted, and support has completely ghosted me. The frustration is overwhelming; I'm now leaning toward staying with US-based sellers, even though they cost 3x what overseas ones do. And sadly, I don't know a single person who could assist me, even if I paid them, in getting all of this configured.
Same situation here. I've read endlessly about this, installed countless apps, and burned so much time just trying to find my way around them (discord and telegram completely stump me, never mind coinbase, exodus, or the many others I've poured hours and mental energy into). Nobody I actually know has the slightest idea about any of it either (well, maybe discord, but the channels they're in look totally different?). How anyone cracks this is beyond me — I feel utterly incompetent. All the reading and research isn't getting me anywhere; with the hours I've put in I ought to have a PhD in this by now, yet I'm more lost than I was 6 months ago!
I may be up there in years, but I can usually handle technology without much trouble. Even so, wrapping my head around this whole thing ate up 3 days. I honestly felt pretty foolish. My boyfriend is an engineer and sharp as they come, and when he glanced at what I was doing he just said "oof! you're on your own with this one". Stick with it — you'll figure it out. The process is definitely confusing, but just move through it one step at a time. Which part is holding you up right now? I'm happy to try and lend a hand.
That would be great, thank you. Progress on my end has been slow — months just to reach this point. As of right now, this is my roadblock: I have to transfer a small test amount of crypto to a vendor. My situation is that kraken holds only regular currency for me, and my exodus wallet has nothing in it. I'm working from desktop browsers rather than a mobile device. So what should I do, in what order?
Kraken isn't what I use — coinbase is my platform. Are you able to purchase crypto on kraken using the non-crypto funds you have there? Be sure to get the specific type you require (USDC-Solana, USDT-Etherium, and so on). I once bought ERC by mistake (a vendor told me it was necessary), and afterward I was completely lost on how to swap it into USDT.

On coinbase, I learned I needed to select USDC Solana at purchase time, otherwise I'd be stuck converting it down the line.
You mentioned needing to confirm you were purchasing USDC Solana on Coinbase — how did you go about confirming that? Whenever I try to buy USDC on Coinbase, no "Solana" choice appears. Or is it about the sending process you meant?
 
Back
Top