Filtering. Thread 2.

Whiynot20026

Explorer
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
Last night was my first time filtering, so I have a question. The amount of pressure needed to force the reconned fluid through the filter really caught me off guard. Honestly, it seemed like the filter was about to burst. I had to press the plunger with a lot of force, yet the fluid still came through well and at a decent speed. Is that normal? Or should I back off the pressure and let it take longer to extract? There didn't appear to be any middle ground. It was either heavy pressure or no fluid coming out at all.

Thanks as aways,

Bill
 
What are the filter's specifications, and what volume of fluid did you run through it?
 
BNLFL said:

That ought to be a problem. Which gauge of needles, and which manufacturer's filters?
I followed each of your suggestions. Could the filters have been screwed on excessively tight? Both of the ones I did turned out the same.

Bill
 
Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

Did the fresh vial I was transferring the liquid into require any particular action from me?
When you were working with the sterile vial, did you put a vent pin to use?
If I were to ask what a vent pin is, my inclination would be to say no.
 
88481c4c93ab3716d9a9f1ee8692a8959ca0fd0a0b523bd65c70a27a850186a7.webp
 
Take a 25ga syringe needle, insert it at an angle, and this gives the air inside the vial a path to escape while you inject the liquid...
 
Flash-BCR said:

Take a 25ga syringe needle, insert it at an angle, and this gives the air inside the vial a path to escape while you inject the liquid...
That's useful info. Good thing I shared. Appreciate everyone.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Darn. That was news to me. Thanks. I saw videos about it, and nobody took that step.
The greater the volume of liquid you push into the vial (for example, 3ml into a 3ml vial), the more air will have to escape from it.... 👍
 
There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Darn. That was news to me. Thanks. I saw videos about it, and nobody took that step.
That's it. Peptide Critic, the one with the rat, puts a vent needle to use.

Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
Exactly.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

Last night was my first time filtering, so I have a question. The amount of pressure needed to force the reconned fluid through the filter really caught me off guard. Honestly, it seemed like the filter was about to burst. I had to press the plunger with a lot of force, yet the fluid still came through well and at a decent speed. Is that normal? Or should I back off the pressure and let it take longer to extract? There didn't appear to be any middle ground. It was either heavy pressure or no fluid coming out at all.

Thanks as aways,

Bill
When you were filling the vial, did you also have a separate vent needle inserted into it?
 
Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
If you're only putting a small volume into a vial, a vent pin isn't strictly required — however, with 2ml and 3ml, the back pressure you get can be substantial...The needle shown appears to carry its own filter, and in a lab setting that might be the proper approach....People have raised concerns about air entering the sterile vial through the vent pin and ruining sterility, but as I see it, the air moves 'out', not in, so it doesn't bother me much...
 
It’s pretty amusing to look back at when I was just getting into grey. My wife and I were both terrified by the idea of reconning our own vials. We picked up 100 of the 3ML needles for reconning, and we figured there was no way we’d ever go through them all. Yeah, right. Where does this craziness end? Honestly, that’s exactly what draws me to the grey process. The craziness doesn’t end.

Bill
 
Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
If you're only putting a small volume into a vial, a vent pin isn't strictly required — however, with 2ml and 3ml, the back pressure you get can be substantial...The needle shown appears to carry its own filter, and in a lab setting that might be the proper approach....People have raised concerns about air entering the sterile vial through the vent pin and ruining sterility, but as I see it, the air moves 'out', not in, so it doesn't bother me much...
Is it possible to take a thinner needle, say 29 or 30 gauge, remove the plunger, and use it that way?
 
Back
Top