Filtering. Thread 2.

HARLEYV2 said:

Whiynot20026 said:

Last night was my first time filtering, so I have a question. The amount of pressure needed to force the reconned fluid through the filter really caught me off guard. Honestly, it seemed like the filter was about to burst. I had to press the plunger with a lot of force, yet the fluid still came through well and at a decent speed. Is that normal? Or should I back off the pressure and let it take longer to extract? There didn't appear to be any middle ground. It was either heavy pressure or no fluid coming out at all.

Thanks as aways,

Bill
When you were filling the vial, did you also have a separate vent needle inserted into it?
Nope. That hint only reached me now. My bad.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

It’s pretty amusing to look back at when I was just getting into grey. My wife and I were both terrified by the idea of reconning our own vials. We picked up 100 of the 3ML needles for reconning, and we figured there was no way we’d ever go through them all. Yeah, right. Where does this craziness end? Honestly, that’s exactly what draws me to the grey process. The craziness doesn’t end.

Bill
When I first started pulling liquid from a vial, I'd grip both the syringe and the vial while drawing back the plunger, and everything would be swinging around...I ended up bending more needles than I care to remember....😎 These days I've got my "one handed hold technique'....As you put it, plenty to appreciate about it... 👍
 
Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

It’s pretty amusing to look back at when I was just getting into grey. My wife and I were both terrified by the idea of reconning our own vials. We picked up 100 of the 3ML needles for reconning, and we figured there was no way we’d ever go through them all. Yeah, right. Where does this craziness end? Honestly, that’s exactly what draws me to the grey process. The craziness doesn’t end.

Bill
When I first started pulling liquid from a vial, I'd grip both the syringe and the vial while drawing back the plunger, and everything would be swinging around...I ended up bending more needles than I care to remember....😎 These days I've got my "one handed hold technique'....As you put it, plenty to appreciate about it... 👍
Pick up a pack of 25ga 5/8" Luer Lock needles (needles only, no syringes) on Amazon...for around 100, they're quite inexpensive...
 
Whiynot20026 said:

It’s pretty amusing to look back at when I was just getting into grey. My wife and I were both terrified by the idea of reconning our own vials. We picked up 100 of the 3ML needles for reconning, and we figured there was no way we’d ever go through them all. Yeah, right. Where does this craziness end? Honestly, that’s exactly what draws me to the grey process. The craziness doesn’t end.

Bill
7b6f1f2f793ba64923885fdfac7fd335fddf9c04aa930fc4a009a0190ae330b0.webp


Whiynot20026 said:

Flash-BCR said:

Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
If you're only putting a small volume into a vial, a vent pin isn't strictly required — however, with 2ml and 3ml, the back pressure you get can be substantial...The needle shown appears to carry its own filter, and in a lab setting that might be the proper approach....People have raised concerns about air entering the sterile vial through the vent pin and ruining sterility, but as I see it, the air moves 'out', not in, so it doesn't bother me much...
Is it possible to take a thinner needle, say 29 or 30 gauge, remove the plunger, and use it that way?
For vents, I picked up inexpensive 23g 1" Luer locks on Amazon.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
Looks like you've got the hang of it! It takes some getting used to, but you're doing great 😊
 
Bill, I appreciate you. Asking questions shows courage, and that's a positive trait. There's plenty of useful material in this space for folks just starting out. Filtering came easily to me, yet some of the things you've raised before were topics I'd quietly puzzled over myself.
 
Rosco P. Coltrane said:

Bill, I appreciate you. Asking questions shows courage, and that's a positive trait. There's plenty of useful material in this space for folks just starting out. Filtering came easily to me, yet some of the things you've raised before were topics I'd quietly puzzled over myself.
I have so much affection for all of you. Each person has been amazing. I've picked up a great deal, and I believe that knowledge will help keep my wife and me safe and healthy. I'm grateful that this board is so well moderated and that everyone here enjoys sharing what they know.

Bill
 
My wife and I are doing this together too. Finding this forum last year was such a lucky break for me. It took around 6 months before I finally created a username, haha. There is so much to look through and read here. Whenever I have nothing to do, I come on here and just read.
 
Rosco P. Coltrane said:

My wife and I are doing this together too. Finding this forum last year was such a lucky break for me. It took around 6 months before I finally created a username, haha. There is so much to look through and read here. Whenever I have nothing to do, I come on here and just read.
Same arrangement in our house — married couple. When I tell her it's time, she shows up for her injection and never probes further. Occasionally, if I jab her a bit too hard by mistake, I catch "that look" from her.
 
For the first few months of reta, that was my situation too 🤣 The shots were handled by her. I believe she had been using it for several months before I gave it a try. These days it feels like we've traded roles — the ordering is all on me, and I'm the one collecting every supply. I can't wait to see her reaction when all of these gbs begin arriving lol
 
I learned about the vent needle through a painful lesson: while I was filtering into a 3ml pen vial, the bottom component launched out like a bullet (and my precious peptides spilled onto the floor) because the air couldn't escape anywhere, so pressure kept accumulating 🙁 RIP BPC-157 2/2/2026. You left us too soon 🙁 🙁 🙁
 
Whiynot20026 said:

There are moments when I feel incredibly dumb. The thing is, a completely fresh sterile vial is nothing like a vial that's been vacuum sealed. Right now I'm kicking myself for not having listened better back in physics class.

Bill
In this space, I often end up feeling quite foolish as well. If it's any comfort, it looks like you're moving the right way.

It doesn't happen overnight.
 
Back
Top