Empty sterile vials vials vials

anhydrous said:

BNLFL said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

Dos-Dox said:

@birdwhacker shared some sources over in this thread:

Post in thread 'Vial Sterility Discussion'

/community-link/thread/16668/

I'll contribute a few additional sources for ALK, which has a strong reputation:

https://www.medical-and-lab-supplies.com/ (This one is already included in Birdwhacker's list)



Image unavailable



Medical Supplies | General Medical and Compounding Pharmacies



Farris Laboratories is a wholesale medical supplies distributor offering sterile, empty vials, syringes and more. Shop for your medical and compounding pharmacy's organization here.

www.farrislabs.com




QCVIALZ Sterile Vial Packaging



QCVIALZ vial packaging vials seals and stoppers. Sterile vial packaging for the pharmaceutical client.

Image unavailable


qcvialz.com


https://www.gohcl.com/
Those links are great, thank you!!
The Astor vials are good quality, but shipping runs $25 whether you buy 1 or 100. That feels a bit steep to me.

anhydrous said:

Turbo-Farmer said:

https://www.astorscientific.us/products/pyrogen-free-vials-aspfv003?_pos=1&_psq=3ml+via&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Pyrogen free, these are. $1 per vial, and shipping is a flat $10

A total of 120 units went into my order 60 minutes back, with $25 charged for delivery. Oddly enough, the listed cost didn't factor in sales tax.
Right, $25 — I was about to place an order. Why on earth would you need 120 of them?

If our stash of drugs can last for years, why shouldn't our stock of supplies match that? Buying in bulk lets me pay the flat $25 shipping just once across a big order, instead of getting smaller amounts and paying that $25 over and over.
Look at what's down there. I've got plenty. If my wife and I both dose at 8mg, that's 16mg weekly. At that rate, the Reta I have in 302 or 322 vials alone lasts 14.5 years. Once my case arrives, I'll also have 32 Hospira vials.

Image unavailable
 
If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.
 
Bioexplorer said:

If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.

Sealed vials can't be treated that way.
 
RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
 
AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
After reading up on pyrogens, I have to say... I'm set on getting vials that are pyrogen free.
 
AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.

Sealed vials can't be treated that way.
What's the reasoning against it? My understanding is that nearly every vial in circulation is made of borosilicate glass, and butyl rubber stoppers hold up fine to that heat. As for the cap, 250F should be tolerable too. The 15psi of extra pressure doesn't strike me as an issue either. That said, my tolerance for risk runs high and I've never actually put this to the test. Obviously keep the vials positioned above the water line.

It's been a long time since I ran the pressure cooker for sterilization—back when I was home brewing and propagating yeast.

Endotoxins are a separate matter. My guess is this method won't eliminate pyrogens. On the other hand, I can't figure out how endotoxins would even get introduced while vials are being manufactured.
 
AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
Could you provide the link to the study by "They"?

The reason I ask is that "They" typically have no idea what they're discussing.
 
Bioexplorer said:

AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.

Sealed vials can't be treated that way.
What's the reasoning against it? My understanding is that nearly every vial in circulation is made of borosilicate glass, and butyl rubber stoppers hold up fine to that heat. As for the cap, 250F should be tolerable too. The 15psi of extra pressure doesn't strike me as an issue either. That said, my tolerance for risk runs high and I've never actually put this to the test. Obviously keep the vials positioned above the water line.

It's been a long time since I ran the pressure cooker for sterilization—back when I was home brewing and propagating yeast.

Endotoxins are a separate matter. My guess is this method won't eliminate pyrogens. On the other hand, I can't figure out how endotoxins would even get introduced while vials are being manufactured.

The temperature resistance of the glass and rubber isn't the issue at all — the reason is that the vial is closed off.

Back when I was growing mushrooms, sterility was everything. Honestly, it's a wonder they manage out in nature. Regardless, I figured this out through plenty of failed attempts years ago. Anything the steam can't reach stays non-sterile. That's exactly why sterilization pouches have a tyvek-like layer on one side.

Steam pressure sterilization does not destroy pyrogens 🙁
 
RetCurious said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
Could you provide the link to the study by "They"?

The reason I ask is that "They" typically have no idea what they're discussing.

I don't have any evidence for it, which is why I never presented it as a fact.... it's simply something I picked up over the years from a local mushroom community.
 
AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
Could you provide the link to the study by "They"?

The reason I ask is that "They" typically have no idea what they're discussing.

I don't have any evidence for it, which is why I never presented it as a fact.... it's simply something I picked up over the years from a local mushroom community.
Seems your prediction was correct!

Heating methods are often used to ensure that glass and other lab equipment are free of pyrogenic material. Heat is applied by baking in a dry heat oven that is designed specifically for the depyrogenation process. Although endotoxins are relatively thermally stable, sufficient heating (250 °C for 30 min) results in a 3-log reduction of endotoxin levels.

Click to expand...




Depyrogenation - Wikipedia





Image unavailable


en.wikipedia.org

Now I'm wondering whether the rubber components will make it through this.
 
RetCurious said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
Could you provide the link to the study by "They"?

The reason I ask is that "They" typically have no idea what they're discussing.

I don't have any evidence for it, which is why I never presented it as a fact.... it's simply something I picked up over the years from a local mushroom community.
Seems your prediction was correct!

Heating methods are often used to ensure that glass and other lab equipment are free of pyrogenic material. Heat is applied by baking in a dry heat oven that is designed specifically for the depyrogenation process. Although endotoxins are relatively thermally stable, sufficient heating (250 °C for 30 min) results in a 3-log reduction of endotoxin levels.

Click to expand...




Depyrogenation - Wikipedia





Image unavailable


en.wikipedia.org

Now I'm wondering whether the rubber components will make it through this.

Definitely. The caps made of plastic will hold up as well.
 
AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.

Sealed vials can't be treated that way.
What's the reasoning against it? My understanding is that nearly every vial in circulation is made of borosilicate glass, and butyl rubber stoppers hold up fine to that heat. As for the cap, 250F should be tolerable too. The 15psi of extra pressure doesn't strike me as an issue either. That said, my tolerance for risk runs high and I've never actually put this to the test. Obviously keep the vials positioned above the water line.

It's been a long time since I ran the pressure cooker for sterilization—back when I was home brewing and propagating yeast.

Endotoxins are a separate matter. My guess is this method won't eliminate pyrogens. On the other hand, I can't figure out how endotoxins would even get introduced while vials are being manufactured.

The temperature resistance of the glass and rubber isn't the issue at all — the reason is that the vial is closed off.

Back when I was growing mushrooms, sterility was everything. Honestly, it's a wonder they manage out in nature. Regardless, I figured this out through plenty of failed attempts years ago. Anything the steam can't reach stays non-sterile. That's exactly why sterilization pouches have a tyvek-like layer on one side.

Steam pressure sterilization does not destroy pyrogens 🙁
Sterilization methods are something I know well. When it comes to speed, steam reaches the target faster, yet dry heat applied at that same temperature can achieve an equally thorough result. The only adjustment needed is to allow additional time.
 
Bioexplorer said:

AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

AlexSilver said:

Bioexplorer said:

If vial sterility worries you that much, what's stopping you from taking the least expensive vials available and sticking them in a cheap pressure cooker for 20 minutes? It's a budget autoclave.

Sealed vials can't be treated that way.
What's the reasoning against it? My understanding is that nearly every vial in circulation is made of borosilicate glass, and butyl rubber stoppers hold up fine to that heat. As for the cap, 250F should be tolerable too. The 15psi of extra pressure doesn't strike me as an issue either. That said, my tolerance for risk runs high and I've never actually put this to the test. Obviously keep the vials positioned above the water line.

It's been a long time since I ran the pressure cooker for sterilization—back when I was home brewing and propagating yeast.

Endotoxins are a separate matter. My guess is this method won't eliminate pyrogens. On the other hand, I can't figure out how endotoxins would even get introduced while vials are being manufactured.

The temperature resistance of the glass and rubber isn't the issue at all — the reason is that the vial is closed off.

Back when I was growing mushrooms, sterility was everything. Honestly, it's a wonder they manage out in nature. Regardless, I figured this out through plenty of failed attempts years ago. Anything the steam can't reach stays non-sterile. That's exactly why sterilization pouches have a tyvek-like layer on one side.

Steam pressure sterilization does not destroy pyrogens 🙁
Sterilization methods are something I know well. When it comes to speed, steam reaches the target faster, yet dry heat applied at that same temperature can achieve an equally thorough result. The only adjustment needed is to allow additional time.

Provided the heat reaches a sufficient level....

I've already gone down that road. Sorry, but after what I've seen with mushrooms, I could never accept that a low dry heat—say, an ordinary kitchen oven—would leave anything sterile enough to inject into myself.
 
Gr33dyOctopus said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
After reading up on pyrogens, I have to say... I'm set on getting vials that are pyrogen free.
Come on, tell us everything.
 
anhydrous said:

Turbo-Farmer said:

https://www.astorscientific.us/products/pyrogen-free-vials-aspfv003?_pos=1&_psq=3ml+via&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Pyrogen free, these are. $1 per vial, and shipping is a flat $10

A total of 120 units went into my order 60 minutes back, with $25 charged for delivery. Oddly enough, the listed cost didn't factor in sales tax.
Hey! Are you after the referral deal? Sending a DM your way

BNLFL said:

Gr33dyOctopus said:

AlexSilver said:

RetCurious said:

swimmer said:

Is there any way to make the Amazon ones sterile?
You can find sterile ones easily; what you actually want is the pyrogen-free grade above that.

According to what I've heard, placing vials that are already sealed into a 250 degree oven and dry-cooking them for 30 minutes will eliminate pyrogens.
After reading up on pyrogens, I have to say... I'm set on getting vials that are pyrogen free.
Come on, tell us everything.
I grabbed 60 of those vials in the end — once they arrive I'll put up a review. I completely spaced on the referral offer! 😆
 
I’ve been using the amazon ones, I get through them pretty fast so sterility is not something I worry about much.
 
on2jinm said:

I've purchased the 2 products @birdwhacker and @Dos-Dox brought up earlier, and I can confirm the vials are good quality as well. At least 1 of the 2 sellers offers lower pricing when you buy in bulk, and neither goes above $2.00 a vial.

The listed vial size shouldn't scare you off; it says 2ml, which is really the "nominal fill amount". In reality they can take slightly over 3ml, and physically they match every lyophilized peptide vial I've gotten from China once it's filled.
That's helpful! Hunting for 3ml vials has been a pain. In the end, I went with 3ml pen cartridges.
 
Back
Top