Does anyone else feel the cold on these meds?

jmk909er

Explorer
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Location
Woodward, Oklahoma, USA
While browsing the forum I saw other posts mentioning that people's temperature perception shifts. That matched my own experience, and I had been wondering whether I was the only one. Most of the time I am someone who runs hot, but during more than a year on Mounjaro I found I got cold more easily. Then insurance cut my Mounjaro off for 4 months, and I was running hot once more — but I am back on Tirzepatide now and the temperature change has returned.

It suits me well, because my wife is permanently cold. We used to keep the AC at 78 degrees, otherwise I would be sweating while she was wrapped in a blanket the whole time. With this shift setting in again I am comfortable with the AC on 79. She still reaches for the blanket now and then, but we are a bit better matched on temperature, and I no longer have to listen to her saying "it's so cold it is in here" over and over. That is a side effect I will take.
 
I used to run hot, and now I am far more sensitive to cold. Whether that is the Tirz or me losing a layer of insulating fat, I could not say.
 
Since going on Tirzepatide I have been colder than at any point in my life. Winter worries me a bit, given that I am still getting cold while it is over 80 outside right now
 
jmk909er said:

While browsing the forum I saw other posts mentioning that people's temperature perception shifts. That matched my own experience, and I had been wondering whether I was the only one. Most of the time I am someone who runs hot, but during more than a year on Mounjaro I found I got cold more easily. Then insurance cut my Mounjaro off for 4 months, and I was running hot once more — but I am back on Tirzepatide now and the temperature change has returned.

It suits me well, because my wife is permanently cold. We used to keep the AC at 78 degrees, otherwise I would be sweating while she was wrapped in a blanket the whole time. With this shift setting in again I am comfortable with the AC on 79. She still reaches for the blanket now and then, but we are a bit better matched on temperature, and I no longer have to listen to her saying "it's so cold it is in here" over and over. That is a side effect I will take.
Same story for me until reta. Only now do I get why kids wander about in hoodies when it is 80 degrees out.
 
Hmm. Now that it has been pointed out, yes. I am normally hot and find working out in the sun hard going. These days being out in the heat is a LOT easier.
 
For me it kicked in over the last 15 pounds of loss. I am in the south, so I can tell you with certainty it is NOT cold anywhere near here in August. Even so, I have usually got a blanket on most mornings and evenings now.

It is metabolic. We know this. Just one big energy balance. But it is still weird.
 
Yes, absolutely! It comes up a lot. Cold air gets to me now, yet standing outside at 90 feels pretty good, so I suppose that is a benefit.
 
Same here. I began reta in March and the summer heat just did not seem as oppressive here in Bama. Maybe it is just me. I do not get cold at work, but walking out into the heat I notice how well the air conditioner is doing.
 
jmk909er said:

PurpleSage said:

I used to run hot, and now I am far more sensitive to cold. Whether that is the Tirz or me losing a layer of insulating fat, I could not say.
My money's on the Tirz! 😉
Reta does it too, and mine kicked in back in April on 6mg.

sheilarae74 said:

jmk909er said:

While browsing the forum I saw other posts mentioning that people's temperature perception shifts. That matched my own experience, and I had been wondering whether I was the only one. Most of the time I am someone who runs hot, but during more than a year on Mounjaro I found I got cold more easily. Then insurance cut my Mounjaro off for 4 months, and I was running hot once more — but I am back on Tirzepatide now and the temperature change has returned.

It suits me well, because my wife is permanently cold. We used to keep the AC at 78 degrees, otherwise I would be sweating while she was wrapped in a blanket the whole time. With this shift setting in again I am comfortable with the AC on 79. She still reaches for the blanket now and then, but we are a bit better matched on temperature, and I no longer have to listen to her saying "it's so cold it is in here" over and over. That is a side effect I will take.
Same story for me until reta. Only now do I get why kids wander about in hoodies when it is 80 degrees out.
Yeah, except sweating in them makes them smell like goats. According to my 14 year old grandson, it's a look.
 
HARLEYV2 said:

Shedding weight and the metabolic changes that follow look to be the Culprit. As I lose, my body runs Colder .
The temperature difference showed up as soon as I restarted Tirzepatide, before I had lost any weight at all
 
Reta has me absolutely freezing!! It is 100 degrees outside and I keep switching the a/c off. Until it dawned on me that it is just me, I was convinced my thermostat was glitching 😬 still, I will happily take the saving on my energy bill. Fewer bills means more cash for peptides
 
My read is that a caloric deficit makes the body cut back on generating heat, so you feel colder. Alternate answer: at maintenance you simply carry far less insulation...
 
di_peppil said:

My read is that a caloric deficit makes the body cut back on generating heat, so you feel colder. Alternate answer: at maintenance you simply carry far less insulation...
Never happened to me at maintenance. Mind you, maintenance does not come with such a large weight loss either, and it is easy enough to adjust.
 
This has been an issue for me, though it only started once I titrated up to 5mg (where I still am). I am about eight weeks into tirz and the last four shots have all been 5mg, yet the chilly feeling only arrived in the last 2-3 weeks.
 
Yes, my hands and feet get very cold! The first few weeks of reta were 'worse' for it; these days I mostly notice it over the first few days after pinning.
 
Cold was a certainty while I was still losing. Nothing unusual there, it is to be expected. Electric slippers and a decent sweater became my uniform... I LIVED in them for months. Maintenance has been going 6 months now and the chill has lifted. These days I handle hot weather better than I did carrying 55 lbs more.
 
Back
Top