Do you prime your syringes?

blueandazure

Explorer
Joined
Jan 4, 2026
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Location
Bangkok
When I say priming your syringes, I'm talking about drawing up more than your intended dose and then ejecting the extra, which means a small amount of the liquid gets wasted.
 
Nope. What's the point of doing that?

d89f365cbd26f69b8f918ab135f96c9365e3efce49f3c81c1b2ad58e19625bd6.gif
 
Bigwally1 said:

I draw up the right amount, compensate for any air, then tap the syringe so the bubbles rise out.
That’s my approach too. Leave the needle in the vial while clearing bubbles. In films, this is done for 1-dramatic effect and 2-to suggest a careless ‘scientist.’

Still, the amount lost probably isn’t large.

A very small air bubble injected IM or SQ is less of an issue than one in an IV line. I’m not a medical professional, so look into it yourself according to your own comfort with risk.
 
blueandazure said:

When I say priming your syringes, I'm talking about drawing up more than your intended dose and then ejecting the extra, which means a small amount of the liquid gets wasted.
I do that too, but the needle stays in the vial while I'm doing it. Drawing extra and then pushing down to the dose I want is way simpler for me than trying to hit it exactly on the draw.
 
I draw slightly extra, around 1mg, flick out the bubbles, then adjust back down to the right dose.
 
Even though I still flick the syringe out of habit, these days I don't worry about a few air bubbles, since I found out that air embolisms are uncommon.
 
I figured that shooting liquid up in the air only happened in films. Back when I used pens, I would draw a bit extra, tap it, and then inject the surplus back into the vial until the dose matched exactly.
 
DunningKruger said:

Even though I still flick the syringe out of habit, these days I don't worry about a few air bubbles, since I found out that air embolisms are uncommon.
Is an embolism even possible when you inject subcutaneously?
 
With my medical training, removing air before an injection was something I never skipped. Eventually, though, I came to see that with a s/c shot it makes no real difference. Accidentally hitting a vein tucked inside subcutaneous tissue is theoretically possible, sure, but the air volumes involved in small insulin syringes—0.01-0.02ml—are nowhere near enough to kill you via an air embolism reaching the heart.
 
Back
Top