Do Peptides in Freeze-Dried Powder Form Degrade and Lose Strength as Time Passes?

jmk909er

Explorer
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Location
Woodward, Oklahoma, USA
Can Lyophilized peptides spoil or expire? Occasionally delivery takes a long time, and since you don't want to be left without any, is it acceptable to build up a stockpile of peptides, or will their potency diminish with time?
 
jmk909er said:

Estarossa19 said:

Based on the tests I've come across (Tirz & Reta), degradation in a freezer is very minimal across a 1-year period.
Is a freezer necessary, or would refrigeration alone suffice?
Most of my stock isn't going to be touched for quite a while, so it stays in the freezer. By quite a while, I mean at least 3 years down the road. Whatever I'm actively using, I keep in the fridge.

I haven't come across any degradation studies covering fridge or closet storage, but I'd have no problem keeping them in either spot long-term without any problems.

During an interview, Janoshik said he had tested HGH that sat in a garage for an extended period, and its purity barely changed.
 
I keep seeing guidance that recommends a “cool dark place” rather than freezing. Is there any sign of why this advice appears to be shifting? And is there any data about how long these hold up when kept in a cool dark place?
 
colg8r said:

I keep seeing guidance that recommends a “cool dark place” rather than freezing. Is there any sign of why this advice appears to be shifting? And is there any data about how long these hold up when kept in a cool dark place?
To keep degradation to a minimum, the location ought to be both dark and freezing.
 
Keep in mind that we're dealing with a dry powder here. Lowering the storage temperature is possible, yet a dry powder won't truly freeze at all. Also consider that reducing temperature significantly cuts down molecular kinetic energy. And remember, light itself carries energy too. Photolytic Cleavage and Photo-Oxidation are real things.

tldr: Cool and Dark. 😎
 
Oh great, another batch of scientists in here.

jmk909er said:

Estarossa19 said:

Based on the tests I've come across (Tirz & Reta), degradation in a freezer is very minimal across a 1-year period.
Is a freezer necessary, or would refrigeration alone suffice?
Mine go into the freezer, and I'll keep using them until they're gone. Janoshik says decades. That works for me.
 
I keep mine refrigerated, though my supply covers months up to 2 years rather than 5 or 10 years. For now, I'm at peace with what I've decided
 
Peter "Janoshik" Magic mentions keeping HGH in his garage for 10 years, and it didn't show obvious breakdown. "...you could tell it had been slightly degraded, but it would still work. A person won't know if they're getting 11 international units and 10.5." (That was at room temperature, so it wasn't stored properly during that time.)

Since he deals with a large amount of peptides, even without long-term studies it's evident they can remain viable for a considerable period, particularly when stored with the right precautions.

Happy stockpiling!
 
petitions said:

Peter "Janoshik" Magic mentions keeping HGH in his garage for 10 years, and it didn't show obvious breakdown. "...you could tell it had been slightly degraded, but it would still work. A person won't know if they're getting 11 international units and 10.5." (That was at room temperature, so it wasn't stored properly during that time.)

Since he deals with a large amount of peptides, even without long-term studies it's evident they can remain viable for a considerable period, particularly when stored with the right precautions.

Happy stockpiling!
He also mentions that lyophilized peptides which are made and dissolved correctly can remain good for years when kept in the fridge, and "in the freezer, maybe decades."

That said, impurities can significantly accelerate how quickly degradation happens. As long as your supplier is legit, I wouldn't stress about it too much.
 
petitions said:

Peter "Janoshik" Magic mentions keeping HGH in his garage for 10 years, and it didn't show obvious breakdown. "...you could tell it had been slightly degraded, but it would still work. A person won't know if they're getting 11 international units and 10.5." (That was at room temperature, so it wasn't stored properly during that time.)

Since he deals with a large amount of peptides, even without long-term studies it's evident they can remain viable for a considerable period, particularly when stored with the right precautions.

Happy stockpiling!
Straight from the source, here's the explanation:

View: https://youtu.be/shgk3-u51Ys?t=1234

Alternatively, if you'd like to learn about his earlier career as a wedding planner:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDsYhxCdVI4
 
I've got several 5mg trz vials. After mixing, I give it a minute, swirl it around, but once I've pulled everything into the syringe, there's still white stuff left at the bottom of the vial. Is that how it's supposed to be?
 
jmk909er said:

I've got several 5mg trz vials. After mixing, I give it a minute, swirl it around, but once I've pulled everything into the syringe, there's still white stuff left at the bottom of the vial. Is that how it's supposed to be?
no — after all the BAC is in, do you roll it gently between your hands?
 
Just A Cat said:

Keep in mind that we're dealing with a dry powder here. Lowering the storage temperature is possible, yet a dry powder won't truly freeze at all. Also consider that reducing temperature significantly cuts down molecular kinetic energy. And remember, light itself carries energy too. Photolytic Cleavage and Photo-Oxidation are real things.

tldr: Cool and Dark. 😎
I don't mean to argue — I just want to learn more. This same question has been on my mind, so I ran a number of tests. Whether every last bit of moisture can be eliminated is something I doubt. Since I own a freeze dryer, I can say that the lowest moisture level I have ever achieved is roughly 4%. Because of that, my thinking is that a freeze-thaw cycle would lead to a tiny bit of degradation.
 
professorpeppy said:

jmk909er said:

I've got several 5mg trz vials. After mixing, I give it a minute, swirl it around, but once I've pulled everything into the syringe, there's still white stuff left at the bottom of the vial. Is that how it's supposed to be?
no — after all the BAC is in, do you roll it gently between your hands?
When I reconstitute, I figure I should give it more time. After asking AI, the recommendation I got was to hold off for 10-15 minutes. I'll give that a shot.
 
jmk909er said:

I've got several 5mg trz vials. After mixing, I give it a minute, swirl it around, but once I've pulled everything into the syringe, there's still white stuff left at the bottom of the vial. Is that how it's supposed to be?
Give it more time. I've got a product from a particular supplier—not a vendor—that needs to sit overnight before it's 100% dissolved. I prepare my Reta a week ahead of when I'll use it.

Shittersfull said:

Just A Cat said:

Keep in mind that we're dealing with a dry powder here. Lowering the storage temperature is possible, yet a dry powder won't truly freeze at all. Also consider that reducing temperature significantly cuts down molecular kinetic energy. And remember, light itself carries energy too. Photolytic Cleavage and Photo-Oxidation are real things.

tldr: Cool and Dark. 😎
I don't mean to argue — I just want to learn more. This same question has been on my mind, so I ran a number of tests. Whether every last bit of moisture can be eliminated is something I doubt. Since I own a freeze dryer, I can say that the lowest moisture level I have ever achieved is roughly 4%. Because of that, my thinking is that a freeze-thaw cycle would lead to a tiny bit of degradation.
I doubt it. My large case has been taken out of the freezer many times to put in product, label things, or whatever, and when I return it I can spot some moisture on the vials and on the case lid. I wipe the lid down, but I don't wipe the vials. There are plenty of desiccant packs inside.
 
Shittersfull said:

Just A Cat said:

Keep in mind that we're dealing with a dry powder here. Lowering the storage temperature is possible, yet a dry powder won't truly freeze at all. Also consider that reducing temperature significantly cuts down molecular kinetic energy. And remember, light itself carries energy too. Photolytic Cleavage and Photo-Oxidation are real things.

tldr: Cool and Dark. 😎
I don't mean to argue — I just want to learn more. This same question has been on my mind, so I ran a number of tests. Whether every last bit of moisture can be eliminated is something I doubt. Since I own a freeze dryer, I can say that the lowest moisture level I have ever achieved is roughly 4%. Because of that, my thinking is that a freeze-thaw cycle would lead to a tiny bit of degradation.
That's a fair point to raise. In my view, the aim should be to cut down on freeze/thaw cycling as much as possible — so if you do decide to freeze, aim to hold the temperature steady — because there's no way to tell if the manufacturer ran the freeze drier long enough to reach a very low moisture content.

I'd also guess that once moisture drops below some threshold, water wouldn't "freeze" in the usual sense, and at 0C that certainly wouldn't be happening anymore. Given production standards we can't verify, the most we can do is make informed guesses.
 
Back
Top