Considering a Lilly investment. What do you think?

Foggy-Hollow said:

bbbilly said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!
to be honest, reselling $1,000 of reta would likely bring you more profit than any amount of LLY you could buy
That checks out. Even if $100 worth of triz were marked up to 500 times its cost, buyers would still feel like they scored a fantastic bargain. Without insurance, the "front door" runs 300-1000/month.

Also, the process moves faster. 🙃 Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.
Haha. Fair point.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
The stock already reflects reta's value; investors aren't naive. Just put your money into the S&P 500 — Lilly is already in there.
 
Foggy-Hollow said:

bbbilly said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!
to be honest, reselling $1,000 of reta would likely bring you more profit than any amount of LLY you could buy
That checks out. Even if $100 worth of triz were marked up to 500 times its cost, buyers would still feel like they scored a fantastic bargain. Without insurance, the "front door" runs 300-1000/month.

Also, the process moves faster. 🙃 Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.
In my group buy chats, I've noticed folks saying they purchased 25 kits and then flipped the entire lot within just a few days. Given that their cost was $72 per kit, and the current price for a 30mg single of tirz runs around $80, right? That works out to roughly an 11x return in a single day... man, I should start a "RUO" peptide venture!
 
Vriende said:

Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill

If you've got a bit of cash set aside for fun, putting it into a stock and tracking its performance can be an enjoyable pastime.

That said, outperforming the market through individual stock selection is something very few people manage to do. Luck certainly plays a role for some.

Starting to invest early is wise -- consider passive index funds -- over the long haul, they've historically provided dependable returns of roughly 8-10% per year, often surpassing what most actively managed funds achieve.

(Before doing that, though, be sure your Roth IRA is fully funded -- over time, it offers a substantial tax benefit.)

For years I've participated in a forum much like this one; its name is a bit quirky, but the membership is quite sharp. These are investors who adhere to the approach pioneered by John Bogle, Vanguard's founder -- they refer to themselves as the Bogleheads.

When I'm curious about an investment topic, I typically head to a search engine, enter "Bogleheads"-- followed by whatever I'm researching, to see what the forum has to say.

I'm also a fan of Investopedia and the White Coat Investor.

Below are a few links about index investing -- more rabbit holes to explore ;-) for anyone curious --

A blog post -- https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2014/09/17/why-index/



Image unavailable



Picking Individual Stocks Is a Loser's Game | White Coat Investor



Wondering why you're no good at stock picking? The odds are stacked dramatically against you. Do yourself a favor and don't play this loser's game.

View attachment 10410


www.whitecoatinvestor.com




10 Reasons I Invest in Index Funds | White Coat Investor



Most of my portfolio is invested in index funds. I hope that's not news to you. Here are 10 of the reasons why.

View attachment 10410


www.whitecoatinvestor.com


https://www.investopedia.com/bogle-s-strategy-simplifies-investment-plans-11893621


An example thread from the Bogleheads forum -- https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461242

Index investing has stood the test of time and continues to be a sound strategy. Core investment principles generally remain stable, unless you're looking into crypto -- which is a newer and entirely separate matter...
It's true that hardly anyone manages to outperform the market through stock picking. Still, everyday life shows us solid opportunities, and we often regret not jumping on a trend. I can point to plenty of businesses I recognized as future heavyweights before they hit the big time. My money went into companies whose products I personally used and watched others use too — not some symbol I looked up online.

When word got out that Honda was working on an automobile, I wanted in. I'd owned a number of Honda motorcycles, and so had friends of mine. All of us were thrilled with those bikes. Back then, Americans weren't allowed to purchase Japanese stocks. Once American Honda came into being, I put money in. While traveling abroad, I relied on Netflix plus a VPN to watch English-language TV. Nearly every expat and traveler I ran into either did the same thing or got excited about signing up for Netflix after I explained how to access it from outside the country. So I invested. I bought into Lilly once I understood what GLP1's were and that Lilly intended to bring them to market. My kids pushed me to join Facebook so staying in touch during trips or time abroad would be simpler. I could picture it expanding into a multinational operation, so I invested. Those are just 4 instances across the years of truly strong investments built on companies I used and believed others would too.

I also hold ETF's tracking the S&P 500 and tech stocks. Over the long haul they perform well and usually outpace inflation. Even so, they can't compare to those companies I was certain would one day be found in every home. Wouldn't you have loved to put money into Coca-cola or McDonalds way back when? These days they're recognized all over the world.
 

Attachments

  • 8742eaf2dcc9a056c1c6ea1ce29e2cc0250c5c4d5553e95825aa0def07e6e832.png
    8742eaf2dcc9a056c1c6ea1ce29e2cc0250c5c4d5553e95825aa0def07e6e832.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 4
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
During my first 6 months using peptides, I paid $500 per vial for tirz via Lily Direct. After I learned about grey and crypto, I invested in $LLY, and I plan to keep holding it until I recover that $3k.
 
If it dips back down to around $800, or even $600, I'd consider picking some up. Tom Lee predicted a possible 10-15% pullback over the summer, though it's anyone's guess. Right now, plenty of other tickers look stronger than $LLY. Using reta doesn't obligate you to buy $LLY. Not financial advice.
 
As far as medications go, I believe Lilly has no real rivals, and the same holds for its shares until 2030. Beyond that point, I expect rivals to emerge and, with luck, costs to come down.
 
Back
Top