Considering a Lilly investment. What do you think?

Whiynot20026

Explorer
Joined
May 8, 2026
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Location
Colorado
I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
 
To be honest, I have been wondering the same thing. Once Reta hits the market, the impact is going to be enormous. If I were you, I would check how folks have fared with the other glp1s and then decide whether it makes sense as a purchase.
 
Skimming the f

orenkaid said:

To be honest, I have been wondering the same thing. Once Reta hits the market, the impact is going to be enormous. If I were you, I would check how folks have fared with the other glp1s and then decide whether it makes sense as a purchase.
That forecast pegs the high at 1500. My read is that it climbs past that and then splits. I'm getting in. Should a crash come, a shit Ton more gets bought at the low. Amazon is in the mix for me, possibly Apple too if anyone cares. AI mega ships will crush everyone else.

Bill
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill

speaking as someone who's fairly experienced with investing, i usually stick to a principle that warren buffett (who runs

Berkshire Hathaway) laid out. one of his key pieces of advice is to put money into what you already understand. if you've got solid knowledge in a particular field, you're already familiar with many of the details and workings of that market segment—you just have to view it through an investor's lens instead of needing to study the whole sector from scratch to spot the chances. if you've put in the effort to understand everything about glps and the kinds of opportunities out there, then go ahead.

i personally took that approach around 2017-2018 and watched nvidia reveal their new raytracing tech, and i actually placed my buy order for some nvidia shares right there during the presentation. made a fortune off it and regret not getting more.

check out the numbers. i mean really examine them.. around 40million americans are "overweight" and right now about 12% use some kind of glp. that leaves roughly a 28% potential for market growth, and since they're pushing to reclassify reta as a "biologic," they might be able to influence enough people to make it happen...MAYBE. but then again, maybe not, who can say! still, with the recent surge in glps and the chance of that patent, plus the fact that people use them for maintenance dosing, there could be solid growth prospects. whether that ends up being eli lilly is anyone's guess...

it really comes down to how much risk you can handle tbh. just don't count on retiring from owning a single LLY share lol
 
Much of Lilly's present worth hinges on the future contribution expected from reta. A great deal of that success is already reflected in the share price.

Even so, I believe it remains a solid investment right now.
 
Here's my perspective. I was ready to purchase a significant amount, but after evaluating it, I decided against it. As of Friday, it's around $1,105 per share. I had planned to invest $100K when it was just under $1K per share, which would have gotten me 100 shares. If the price rose by $500 per share, that would mean $50,000. For me, that's not worth it—though if it climbs $1K, I'll regret it. These high share prices are challenging. My Nvidia, Microsoft, and other major holdings aren't even half that and typically grow steadily throughout the year.
 
buy the rumor sell the news, in my view it's a solid investment until reta's release date is announced, at which point you'll want to sell ahead of that date. because it will definitely crash.
 
BNLFL said:

Here's my perspective. I was ready to purchase a significant amount, but after evaluating it, I decided against it. As of Friday, it's around $1,105 per share. I had planned to invest $100K when it was just under $1K per share, which would have gotten me 100 shares. If the price rose by $500 per share, that would mean $50,000. For me, that's not worth it—though if it climbs $1K, I'll regret it. These high share prices are challenging. My Nvidia, Microsoft, and other major holdings aren't even half that and typically grow steadily throughout the year.

My take is that you're essentially wagering on their rise. Should a drop happen, that's your moment to scoop up plenty at the lower price. Average out your cost. Check the details for what's ahead. As mentioned before. Nobody understands Lilly like we do. It's a gamble every time. I'm always prepared for pullbacks. Pullbacks are how those of us without deep pockets grab our little pieces of the market.

Bill
 
Even though the main reason someone picks up LLY is the upside it could deliver, there is also a payout to shareholders — modest, but sitting at 6.92 per share right now. By 2027, I could see that payout reaching roughly 8.00 per share. Over the past several years, the company has raised its distribution quite a bit. Getting something back beats getting nothing back.

https://www.investing.com/equities/eli-lilly-and-co-dividends
 
My entry on Lilly was at $597, and I added more LLY shares when the price fell to roughly $990. In my view, Reta could become a trillion dollar product for the company, and hitting $1500 seems quite achievable. That said, NOVO is also in my portfolio, and I acquired Viking Pharma just last week, since I believe any company with a solid position in the GLP space will perform well over the coming 5 years.
 
MikeyMike said:

My entry on Lilly was at $597, and I added more LLY shares when the price fell to roughly $990. In my view, Reta could become a trillion dollar product for the company, and hitting $1500 seems quite achievable. That said, NOVO is also in my portfolio, and I acquired Viking Pharma just last week, since I believe any company with a solid position in the GLP space will perform well over the coming 5 years.
Between these 2, which one do you see as having more upside: Novo or Viking? Novo already has a foothold with products on the market, whereas Viking's offerings are still moving through different phases of clinical testing.
 
Analysts say LLY is priced way beyond its worth, yet I still think reta will make it through approval at some point and push the share price up. Beyond that, their pipeline holds a number of other candidates that seem encouraging. I picked up a small position, though with each share costing more than 1k, it takes a serious climb just to come out ahead.

A year back I put money into MU — that one actually moves!
 
I picked up 100 shares at $950. That decision came after Reta worked well for me and after seeing what people here have shared. I've basically pushed everything into the middle of the pot. Looking ahead a few years, I really don't see another product emerging that can go head-to-head with Reta or Tirz, especially if they end up splitting.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

BNLFL said:

Here's my perspective. I was ready to purchase a significant amount, but after evaluating it, I decided against it. As of Friday, it's around $1,105 per share. I had planned to invest $100K when it was just under $1K per share, which would have gotten me 100 shares. If the price rose by $500 per share, that would mean $50,000. For me, that's not worth it—though if it climbs $1K, I'll regret it. These high share prices are challenging. My Nvidia, Microsoft, and other major holdings aren't even half that and typically grow steadily throughout the year.

My take is that you're essentially wagering on their rise. Should a drop happen, that's your moment to scoop up plenty at the lower price. Average out your cost. Check the details for what's ahead. As mentioned before. Nobody understands Lilly like we do. It's a gamble every time. I'm always prepared for pullbacks. Pullbacks are how those of us without deep pockets grab our little pieces of the market.

Bill
I see your point. For my part, I have no need for the cash, and a significant amount is already invested in the market, which performs quite well annually. I’m not trying to show off, but the position I retired from 2 years back was excellent and paid off. I truly consider myself fortunate.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
When you really break it down, that corporation is going to expand no matter how small our contributions are. Should you decide to put money in, at least you'll profit from the very business that creates the drugs China is bound to copy. Then this community purchases from grey sources. It's the circle of life.
 
CMA Pooky said:

MikeyMike said:

My entry on Lilly was at $597, and I added more LLY shares when the price fell to roughly $990. In my view, Reta could become a trillion dollar product for the company, and hitting $1500 seems quite achievable. That said, NOVO is also in my portfolio, and I acquired Viking Pharma just last week, since I believe any company with a solid position in the GLP space will perform well over the coming 5 years.
Between these 2, which one do you see as having more upside: Novo or Viking? Novo already has a foothold with products on the market, whereas Viking's offerings are still moving through different phases of clinical testing.
That's a fair question. My wife dropped 55lbs using Wegovy, so I've held NOVO for roughly a year and half. Beyond GLP, Novo has plenty of other drugs that do well, and the company is firmly established. Still, I wouldn't go all in at this moment. That said, I did predict oral Wegovy would be enormous when they brought it out. Before that launch the stock was plummeting because Manjouro was beating Wegovy badly. Oral Wegovy delivered one of the best quarters any new drug has ever had, and the share price moved up in response.

To me Viking looks like it has more upside since it currently trades as a value stock, though it hasn't proven itself yet. Their pipeline is solid, and as big Pharma has shown, when one of these drugs doesn't become a blockbuster, the company tends to get acquired at a decent premium.
 
Back
Top