Considering a Lilly investment. What do you think?

MikeyMike said:

CMA Pooky said:

MikeyMike said:

My entry on Lilly was at $597, and I added more LLY shares when the price fell to roughly $990. In my view, Reta could become a trillion dollar product for the company, and hitting $1500 seems quite achievable. That said, NOVO is also in my portfolio, and I acquired Viking Pharma just last week, since I believe any company with a solid position in the GLP space will perform well over the coming 5 years.
Between these 2, which one do you see as having more upside: Novo or Viking? Novo already has a foothold with products on the market, whereas Viking's offerings are still moving through different phases of clinical testing.
That's a fair question. My wife dropped 55lbs using Wegovy, so I've held NOVO for roughly a year and half. Beyond GLP, Novo has plenty of other drugs that do well, and the company is firmly established. Still, I wouldn't go all in at this moment. That said, I did predict oral Wegovy would be enormous when they brought it out. Before that launch the stock was plummeting because Manjouro was beating Wegovy badly. Oral Wegovy delivered one of the best quarters any new drug has ever had, and the share price moved up in response.

To me Viking looks like it has more upside since it currently trades as a value stock, though it hasn't proven itself yet. Their pipeline is solid, and as big Pharma has shown, when one of these drugs doesn't become a blockbuster, the company tends to get acquired at a decent premium.
Useful details. One more thing worth watching: Pfizer is testing a GLP1 version taken just 1 time per month, currently in clinical trials. They picked it up by acquiring a business named Metsera.
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill

I put a few thousand dollars from a miscellaneous retirement account into small positions in both Lilly and Novo.

Things to keep in mind:

My approach is usually to buy and then hold for the long term.

Losing this money wouldn't bother me (though it's unlikely to vanish entirely, given it's the pharmaceutical sector).

Lilly's stock has risen while Novo's has fallen. To me, individual stocks are like betting—I only wager what I can afford to lose. My actual retirement funds are properly diversified.

Everything hinges on what you're aiming for. I expected Novo to climb more, but I'm down 20% in total. Still, since I haven't sold, it's only a paper loss for now.
 
I'm thinking about picking up 100 shares and sitting on them for the long haul. Appreciate all the feedback from everyone. There were some really solid points made. The prospect of this climbing and then splitting is appealing to me. Ideally that happens right around when Reta drops.

Bill
 
Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!
to be honest, reselling $1,000 of reta would likely bring you more profit than any amount of LLY you could buy
 
Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!

seeing a person on a gray market board weigh putting money into the corporation that stands to profit from the exact compound all of us are sourcing behind that same corporation's back is honestly pretty amusing 😂😂😂

OMG the calls are coming from inside the house 😲
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
A few years back, I put money into Lilly. My only regret is not putting in far more. Over roughly the past 5 years, it has easily been my strongest investment. That said, they ought to offer a sensible dividend. Similar to Berkshire Hathaway, cashing out means selling shares. I'm not keen on selling while the price keeps rising or still holds that much upside. Even so, I'd appreciate getting a portion of the gains.
 
All the knowledge you possess, and then some, is already reflected in what LLY is worth. People convince themselves their angle or private tip is one of a kind, yet over and over it's been shown that outperforming the market is close to unachievable. Simply pick up VT and relax. Still, that little rush you get from a bet or a pick that pays off has its own value. Take the plunge.🙂
 
bay_area_schizo said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!

seeing a person on a gray market board weigh putting money into the corporation that stands to profit from the exact compound all of us are sourcing behind that same corporation's back is honestly pretty amusing 😂😂😂

OMG the calls are coming from inside the house 😲
In 2025, the GLP1 sector reached $80 Billion and is still expanding. The majority of GLP1 medications are obtained through physician prescriptions globally, rather than the grey market. This pattern will persist, since most individuals rely on their doctors' guidance and on their governments to ensure drug safety.
 
Lovedog100 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!

seeing a person on a gray market board weigh putting money into the corporation that stands to profit from the exact compound all of us are sourcing behind that same corporation's back is honestly pretty amusing 😂😂😂

OMG the calls are coming from inside the house 😲
In 2025, the GLP1 sector reached $80 Billion and is still expanding. The majority of GLP1 medications are obtained through physician prescriptions globally, rather than the grey market. This pattern will persist, since most individuals rely on their doctors' guidance and on their governments to ensure drug safety.
oh I see...the contrast just struck me as interesting. sort of like someone pushing crack putting money into rehab clinics. do those 2 things work against each other? yeah. will that same crack pusher still turn a profit? once again, yeah 😂
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill
I'M ALL FOR IT !!!! Picked up 35 shares at $248 apiece... whether to enter at this point is unclear to me. perhaps SPY, VOO, qqq vgt , smh, qqqm or schg... Keep in mind, It's TIME in the market not TIMING the market..





3a826afee3f80c76c11d9b1f731d0b83e25d8234f18f7c82ea12b7c3b2dcff23.gif
 
Picked up shares a few months back and rode out the drop without selling. As of now I'm sitting on roughly 10% gains. My read is that big institutions have likely already baked Retatrutide's approval into the price, though I doubt retail investors have done the same. On top of that, I question whether the institutional crowd truly grasps just how game-changing GLP-1 medications are. It's really only those of us working the front lines, syringe in hand, who genuinely "get" it. Pharma companies positioned to surf this wave have a very bright future ahead.
 
bay_area_schizo said:

Lovedog100 said:

bay_area_schizo said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!

seeing a person on a gray market board weigh putting money into the corporation that stands to profit from the exact compound all of us are sourcing behind that same corporation's back is honestly pretty amusing 😂😂😂

OMG the calls are coming from inside the house 😲
In 2025, the GLP1 sector reached $80 Billion and is still expanding. The majority of GLP1 medications are obtained through physician prescriptions globally, rather than the grey market. This pattern will persist, since most individuals rely on their doctors' guidance and on their governments to ensure drug safety.
oh I see...the contrast just struck me as interesting. sort of like someone pushing crack putting money into rehab clinics. do those 2 things work against each other? yeah. will that same crack pusher still turn a profit? once again, yeah 😂
That comes across as an odd thing to say. I hold positions in Ford and Honda, but my daily driver is a Mercedes. Those aren't conflicting goals, and this isn't crack we're talking about. Both of those investments have done very well for me. GLP1's are an expanding sector. As an increasing number of people consume poor-quality processed food, GLP1's will stick around for the long haul and spread across the globe. (much like junk food) I see nothing wrong with making money from that trend. It's better than having a job. 😎
 
Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill

If you've got a bit of cash set aside for fun, putting it into a stock and tracking its performance can be an enjoyable pastime.

That said, outperforming the market through individual stock selection is something very few people manage to do. Luck certainly plays a role for some.

Starting to invest early is wise -- consider passive index funds -- over the long haul, they've historically provided dependable returns of roughly 8-10% per year, often surpassing what most actively managed funds achieve.

(Before doing that, though, be sure your Roth IRA is fully funded -- over time, it offers a substantial tax benefit.)

For years I've participated in a forum much like this one; its name is a bit quirky, but the membership is quite sharp. These are investors who adhere to the approach pioneered by John Bogle, Vanguard's founder -- they refer to themselves as the Bogleheads.

When I'm curious about an investment topic, I typically head to a search engine, enter "Bogleheads"-- followed by whatever I'm researching, to see what the forum has to say.

I'm also a fan of Investopedia and the White Coat Investor.

Below are a few links about index investing -- more rabbit holes to explore ;-) for anyone curious --

A blog post -- https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2014/09/17/why-index/



Image unavailable



Picking Individual Stocks Is a Loser's Game | White Coat Investor



Wondering why you're no good at stock picking? The odds are stacked dramatically against you. Do yourself a favor and don't play this loser's game.

8742eaf2dcc9a056c1c6ea1ce29e2cc0250c5c4d5553e95825aa0def07e6e832.png



www.whitecoatinvestor.com




10 Reasons I Invest in Index Funds | White Coat Investor



Most of my portfolio is invested in index funds. I hope that's not news to you. Here are 10 of the reasons why.

8742eaf2dcc9a056c1c6ea1ce29e2cc0250c5c4d5553e95825aa0def07e6e832.png



www.whitecoatinvestor.com


https://www.investopedia.com/bogle-s-strategy-simplifies-investment-plans-11893621


An example thread from the Bogleheads forum -- https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461242

Index investing has stood the test of time and continues to be a sound strategy. Core investment principles generally remain stable, unless you're looking into crypto -- which is a newer and entirely separate matter...
 
My view is that they'll hold a commanding position in the injectable space for the next 2 years or so. Beyond that, rivals will begin chipping away at their earnings. Obviously, nobody has a crystal ball for the market or share prices. What I will point out is that they chased maximum profit while patients paid the price. Looking after the health of people who required treatment wasn't the priority. Brand loyalty wasn't either. Once competitors arrive, Eli Lilly won't be met with any warm, fuzzy feelings. And yes, those of us who lived through the last few years will remember.
 
Screw them. The drug industry's unethical, money-hungry behavior is dragging America down, just like everything else these billionaires get their hands on
 
Hoping a split happens before long, so hold off until that split comes through.

Back when the price was below $500, I picked up an enormous amount, and honestly I'm pretty much set to retire now LOL. That said, this stock really doesn't carry any downside.
 
bbbilly said:

Mr. Blonde said:

Putting money in? Nope. I'm pulling my money out by going gray!
to be honest, reselling $1,000 of reta would likely bring you more profit than any amount of LLY you could buy
That checks out. Even if $100 worth of triz were marked up to 500 times its cost, buyers would still feel like they scored a fantastic bargain. Without insurance, the "front door" runs 300-1000/month.

Also, the process moves faster. 🙃 Perhaps I'm going about this the wrong way.
 
Vriende said:

Whiynot20026 said:

I'm considering picking up Lilly stock this week. What are your thoughts? Given Reta, their enormous scale, and the fact that they're currently pulling in 20 billion a quarter, what's not to like. I believe it's set for a huge run. That said, I'm pretty clueless about investing.

Bill

If you've got a bit of cash set aside for fun, putting it into a stock and tracking its performance can be an enjoyable pastime.

That said, outperforming the market through individual stock selection is something very few people manage to do. Luck certainly plays a role for some.

Starting to invest early is wise -- consider passive index funds -- over the long haul, they've historically provided dependable returns of roughly 8-10% per year, often surpassing what most actively managed funds achieve.

(Before doing that, though, be sure your Roth IRA is fully funded -- over time, it offers a substantial tax benefit.)

For years I've participated in a forum much like this one; its name is a bit quirky, but the membership is quite sharp. These are investors who adhere to the approach pioneered by John Bogle, Vanguard's founder -- they refer to themselves as the Bogleheads.

When I'm curious about an investment topic, I typically head to a search engine, enter "Bogleheads"-- followed by whatever I'm researching, to see what the forum has to say.

I'm also a fan of Investopedia and the White Coat Investor.

Below are a few links about index investing -- more rabbit holes to explore ;-) for anyone curious --

A blog post -- https://www.bogleheads.org/blog/2014/09/17/why-index/



Image unavailable



Picking Individual Stocks Is a Loser's Game | White Coat Investor



Wondering why you're no good at stock picking? The odds are stacked dramatically against you. Do yourself a favor and don't play this loser's game.

View attachment 10410


www.whitecoatinvestor.com




10 Reasons I Invest in Index Funds | White Coat Investor



Most of my portfolio is invested in index funds. I hope that's not news to you. Here are 10 of the reasons why.

View attachment 10410


www.whitecoatinvestor.com


https://www.investopedia.com/bogle-s-strategy-simplifies-investment-plans-11893621


An example thread from the Bogleheads forum -- https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=461242

Index investing has stood the test of time and continues to be a sound strategy. Core investment principles generally remain stable, unless you're looking into crypto -- which is a newer and entirely separate matter...
I actually got a late start — 35 yr old — with a modest 401K from the corporate job I had. Then I switched to another company, began earning significantly more, and increased what I was contributing to the new 401. The market idea came from one of my kids. I located a solid Fidelity fund and have kept my money there ever since. I'm aware it's at least 10%, and the fact is I need to withdraw some before the year ends, so I can avoid getting taxed on the gains.
 
Back
Top