Considering a change from Reta to Sema

Seriously, I appreciate everyone who chimed in on this thread — it means a lot, since I've picked up more about GLPs than I ever had before. Genuinely, thank you.

I may end up going with Tirz, possibly stacked alongside a low dose of reta. We'll see!!
 
UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

I'm puzzled by the folks calling semaglutide garbage. As a GLP-1 receptor agonist, it still acts on GLP-1, which is among the main pathways behind tirzepatide and retatrutide too. Semaglutide ranked among the earliest highly effective medications in this class, and it remains a very effective drug.

For maintenance, I personally view it as an excellent choice. Besides quieting food noise, it put a stop to my fingernail biting nearly right away, after I'd done it my whole life. That's just my own experience, of course, but many of my minor compulsive habits and behaviors appeared to dissolve almost instantly, and GLP-1, rather than the GIP or Glucga add-ons in the molecule, looks like the cause.

If losing weight is the only aim, current data indicate tirzepatide usually yields larger average weight loss than semaglutide, and a lot of people consider it a more powerful appetite suppressant.

In my own maintenance routine, I take semaglutide on Sundays plus a small morning dose of retatrutide on Wednesdays, and so far that has served me well.
It feels like you pulled the words straight from my head. Where does all this Sema dislike come from? Could it be from folks who have no firsthand experience with it? I'm with you that it'll be a fantastic option for keeping weight off over the long haul, and it can be combined with other compounds the way you're showing.
 
UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

I'm puzzled by the folks calling semaglutide garbage. As a GLP-1 receptor agonist, it still acts on GLP-1, which is among the main pathways behind tirzepatide and retatrutide too. Semaglutide ranked among the earliest highly effective medications in this class, and it remains a very effective drug.

For maintenance, I personally view it as an excellent choice. Besides quieting food noise, it put a stop to my fingernail biting nearly right away, after I'd done it my whole life. That's just my own experience, of course, but many of my minor compulsive habits and behaviors appeared to dissolve almost instantly, and GLP-1, rather than the GIP or Glucga add-ons in the molecule, looks like the cause.

If losing weight is the only aim, current data indicate tirzepatide usually yields larger average weight loss than semaglutide, and a lot of people consider it a more powerful appetite suppressant.

In my own maintenance routine, I take semaglutide on Sundays plus a small morning dose of retatrutide on Wednesdays, and so far that has served me well.
When semaglutide first hit the market, it was the top weight loss medication around, and it will probably remain widely used for years since its patent expires much earlier than the others in many regions, making it more affordable. However, if we're discussing grey GLP's, sema is almost never the optimal choice.

That said, reta and tirz both also act as GIP agonists, and GIP agonism offsets certain GLP-1 agonism side effects, including nausea, vomiting, food aversion and malaise. That's largely why they produce fewer of those effects compared to sema.
 
lessthanhalf said:

UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

I'm puzzled by the folks calling semaglutide garbage. As a GLP-1 receptor agonist, it still acts on GLP-1, which is among the main pathways behind tirzepatide and retatrutide too. Semaglutide ranked among the earliest highly effective medications in this class, and it remains a very effective drug.

For maintenance, I personally view it as an excellent choice. Besides quieting food noise, it put a stop to my fingernail biting nearly right away, after I'd done it my whole life. That's just my own experience, of course, but many of my minor compulsive habits and behaviors appeared to dissolve almost instantly, and GLP-1, rather than the GIP or Glucga add-ons in the molecule, looks like the cause.

If losing weight is the only aim, current data indicate tirzepatide usually yields larger average weight loss than semaglutide, and a lot of people consider it a more powerful appetite suppressant.

In my own maintenance routine, I take semaglutide on Sundays plus a small morning dose of retatrutide on Wednesdays, and so far that has served me well.
When semaglutide first hit the market, it was the top weight loss medication around, and it will probably remain widely used for years since its patent expires much earlier than the others in many regions, making it more affordable. However, if we're discussing grey GLP's, sema is almost never the optimal choice.

That said, reta and tirz both also act as GIP agonists, and GIP agonism offsets certain GLP-1 agonism side effects, including nausea, vomiting, food aversion and malaise. That's largely why they produce fewer of those effects compared to sema.
That may be true, but GIP and Glugn. aren't putting a stop to—or satisfying—all those smaller 'ticks' that benzos used to handle. From what I gather, their role is metabolism, brown fat, and extra weight loss. A lot of other jobs are still being carried by the original GLP-1 molecule (for me, that includes no longer biting my nails after a lifetime of doing it too much—two years now without it, along with other 'ticks' that faded. I won't gamble on those returning). It will take years before we truly understand everything these miracle molecules are doing—I'm just glad we live in a world where there are multiple options to compare at all 🙂
 
Spork said:

UpDownLeftRightAS* said:

I'm puzzled by the folks calling semaglutide garbage. As a GLP-1 receptor agonist, it still acts on GLP-1, which is among the main pathways behind tirzepatide and retatrutide too. Semaglutide ranked among the earliest highly effective medications in this class, and it remains a very effective drug.

For maintenance, I personally view it as an excellent choice. Besides quieting food noise, it put a stop to my fingernail biting nearly right away, after I'd done it my whole life. That's just my own experience, of course, but many of my minor compulsive habits and behaviors appeared to dissolve almost instantly, and GLP-1, rather than the GIP or Glucga add-ons in the molecule, looks like the cause.

If losing weight is the only aim, current data indicate tirzepatide usually yields larger average weight loss than semaglutide, and a lot of people consider it a more powerful appetite suppressant.

In my own maintenance routine, I take semaglutide on Sundays plus a small morning dose of retatrutide on Wednesdays, and so far that has served me well.

That's a completely reasonable point, but my guess is the people who rip on semaglutide tend to be folks in my shoes: they used it for weight loss, had a rough time, saw less weight loss than they wanted, bumped the dose up, and then dealt with awful GI side effects.

Those very people would move over to tirzepatide and discover it works better while producing fewer side effects.

Looking back, I wish I had begun this entire journey on tirzepatide, or most likely retatrutide.
Totally reasonable — and honestly it's a good thing that we now have more than one option that can change lives this much. Brave new world 🙂
 
Perhaps you should explore Cagri combined with Reta rather than Sema. I haven't personally tested it, as my Tirz x Reta stack is performing nicely, but I've come across folks claiming it works great.
 
Throwfa said:

Perhaps you should explore Cagri combined with Reta rather than Sema. I haven't personally tested it, as my Tirz x Reta stack is performing nicely, but I've come across folks claiming it works great.
Honestly, if I were choosing between Cagri and Eloralintide, I'd hold off until Eloralintide hits the market. It appears to bring heart rate down and seems less harsh than cagri. Cagri is brutal, and plenty of other reports say the same. I gave it a 2-week trial and ended up so exhausted I could barely get out of bed. Appetite was absolutely crushed, though.
 
When compared with cagri, Elora comes out ahead, though at larger doses it also brings a notably high incidence of fatigue as a side effect. At 3mg the rate is just 13%, yet it climbs considerably at 6mg and beyond.
 
Throwfa said:

Perhaps you should explore Cagri combined with Reta rather than Sema. I haven't personally tested it, as my Tirz x Reta stack is performing nicely, but I've come across folks claiming it works great.
What's your tirz and reta stack setup? Has using both been helpful for you? What's the timing between your doses? I'm considering following the same approach.
 
HappyBear said:

Throwfa said:

Perhaps you should explore Cagri combined with Reta rather than Sema. I haven't personally tested it, as my Tirz x Reta stack is performing nicely, but I've come across folks claiming it works great.
What's your tirz and reta stack setup? Has using both been helpful for you? What's the timing between your doses? I'm considering following the same approach.

I had been on 2.5mg of tirz for several months when a bit of food noise crept back in. Rather than raise that dose, I figured I'd toss in 1mg of reta just to see what would happen — I had some sitting around, so why not.

These days I'm running 2.5mg tirz alongside 2mg of reta. My rhr gets logged by a health tracker, and the jump to 2mg of reta was clearly when it kicked in.

No complaints so far, I'd say give it a shot. Plenty of others have had good results with this approach.
 
Back
Top